Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4246900 - 04/05/16 08:48 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
SW has ALWAYS been a cash cow. If you think what you've seen in the last couple of years is over doing it, then you either weren't around in the 70's or you've forgotten.
EVERYTHING had Star Wars on it. McDonalds glasses, happy meals, obviously the toys that were a HUGE market back then, unlike now...lunch boxes...posters...costumes...cereal...books...magazines...clothes...I still have my ESB sheets from when I was a kid. LOL
What you see these days is nothing compared to back then. Why do you think this scene was in Space Balls?

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4247022 - 04/06/16 08:51 AM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Well I'd have to say I'll give it a chance.

Heck, the first three films weren't very good (the sequel was better than the first one, after all) but then the series of films started to hit its stride in Episode IV.

Click to reveal..

Y'all are aware that the target audience of these films is at an age where there has never been an Episode IV without a I-III, right?

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4247038 - 04/06/16 10:56 AM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
SW has ALWAYS been a cash cow. If you think what you've seen in the last couple of years is over doing it, then you either weren't around in the 70's or you've forgotten.
EVERYTHING had Star Wars on it. McDonalds glasses, happy meals, obviously the toys that were a HUGE market back then, unlike now...lunch boxes...posters...costumes...cereal...books...magazines...clothes...I still have my ESB sheets from when I was a kid. LOL
What you see these days is nothing compared to back then. Why do you think this scene was in Space Balls?

And I'm sure Fox is still kicking themselves in the a$$ for signing away all of the merchandising rights to Lucas.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4247051 - 04/06/16 11:37 AM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: Desert Eagle]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Kids still seem to like Star Wars. I think it's important to put some perspective on it, when most of us saw our first star wars film, we were probably very young and had different tastes compared to what we have now.

I remember watching Episode 1 over and over in the theaters when it first came out, I was around 14 or 15 and everyone my age loved it.

#4247055 - 04/06/16 11:42 AM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow
Kids still seem to like Star Wars. I think it's important to put some perspective on it, when most of us saw our first star wars film, we were probably very young and had different tastes compared to what we have now.

I remember watching Episode 1 over and over in the theaters when it first came out, I was around 14 or 15 and everyone my age loved it.

+1

I think the main disappointment from most people of my generation and older is that they didn't get that same excited visceral feeling when they watched Phantom Menace and/or Force Awakens that they got when they watched the original trilogy and were of course much younger.

Having said that, I think that "The Force Awakens" is universally considered to be a big improvement over "The Phantom Menace".

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/06/16 11:43 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4247063 - 04/06/16 12:26 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: Desert Eagle]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
All I know is that the last movie was pretty much the same as the very first movie. I knew what was going to happen in each scene once it had started. FX were good, acting was OK ..but the plot was soooo predictable, it was sad.

That being said ; I will see the next one and the every one after that......it is "space stuff" after all smile

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4247262 - 04/06/16 09:23 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: CG2015]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: CG2015
After the crap that was Episode 7, I am not even looking forward to this one.

I guess after the movie is released, I will go online to read the spoilers to find out whose daughter's Rey is.

Thankfully lots of people don't feel the way you do, and loved Ep 7 smile

#4247265 - 04/06/16 09:46 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: EAF331 MadDog
Originally Posted By: CG2015
After the crap that was Episode 7, I am not even looking forward to this one.

I guess after the movie is released, I will go online to read the spoilers to find out whose daughter's Rey is.

Thankfully lots of people don't feel the way you do, and loved Ep 7 smile

Count me amongst those ones... yep

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4247476 - 04/07/16 01:58 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Regardless of how good it was compared to other SW films, TFA was still light years better than most other SF that's come out in the last decade. There have been bright spots here and there, but generally speaking medium-budget SF has disappeared and we get either low-budget indie films that may or may not be worth seeing (more often not, but some like Ex Machina are) or massive budget moonshots that have tended to blow up on launch (like Jupiter Ascending and Tomorrowland) or do really well (Star Trek, Interstellar, The Martian).

Remember when they used to spend $50-75m on an SF film and it would be really good? Hollywood doesn't.

Just look at the list of SF films released in the 10 years between Ep III and Ep VII and more often than not they're trash.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4247482 - 04/07/16 02:11 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
True. I guess that's because they keep trying to adapt books to a 2 hour movie? Ender was friggin horrible.
This movie is amazing. Watching at home the eye candy is really popping. The effects are beautiful, I couldn't really appreciate that as much at the theater with all there is to take in at once.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4247485 - 04/07/16 02:15 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: Desert Eagle]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Man, that scene where the EMpire First order Tie Fighters attack the Cantina and are shot as black silhouettes against the setting sun?

_ Most of the shots looks like paintings.

I watched it 4 times at the Movies...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4247488 - 04/07/16 02:22 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Here's just a partial list of big budget scifi bombs within the past 10 years,

In addition to "Jupiter Ascending" and "Tomorrowland" mentioned by Jedi and "Ender's Game" mentioned by Raw there's also

John Carter
Transcendence
Terminator: Genisys
Fantastic Four
Edge of Tomorrow
Robocop (remake)
Total Recall (remake)
After Earth
RIPD
Battleship
Cowboys & Aliens

#4247490 - 04/07/16 02:23 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Did EoT actually bomb? I thought it made money.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4247491 - 04/07/16 02:25 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Here's just a partial list of big budget scifi bombs within the past 10 years,

In addition to "Jupiter Ascending" and "Tomorrowland" mentioned by Jedi and "Ender's Game" mentioned by Raw there's also

John Carter
Transcendence
Terminator: Genisys
Fantastic Four
Edge of Tomorrow
Robocop (remake)
Total Recall (remake)
After Earth
RIPD
Battleship
Cowboys & Aliens

Add Elysium and Oblivion

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 04/07/16 02:31 PM.
#4247492 - 04/07/16 02:26 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: Jedi Master]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Did EoT actually bomb? I thought it made money.

The Jedi Master

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=allyouneediskill.htm

It wasn't a huge bomb but it did lose a bit at the B.O.

I think the studios only get about 30% of foreign ticket sale revenue.

#4247498 - 04/07/16 02:31 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Well, obviously. My comment was that I thought it made more money and cost less than it did. I also don't recall any talk about "Cruise's big bomb" when it came out. I thought it did relatively well and didn't realize they blew so much money making it.

The Jedi Master

#4247513 - 04/07/16 02:58 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: Desert Eagle]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I was invited to watch Episode VII last night, my first time to see it. The film flowed cleanly, was quite watchable. Within the first 15 minutes I was thinking "it's Star Wars, but by somebody else". Different kind of humor, different kind of attitude.

Thinking again about the film this morning, it is very surprisingly similar to what a remake of Episode IV could be like.

The only thing that sort of sat weird, IMO, was how the action scenes sometimes came off as a bit over the top. By the end I was wondering how many more collisions the Falcon could handle before they had to file an insurance claim. Or at least tighten up a few screws, or something.

Oh, and I remember after it was over, watching the credits to see who had done the music, then seeing John Williams name and being surprised. During the movie, I didn't get that sense of vivid, lyrical musical narrative that Williams' earlier Star Wars work shows.

Last edited by adlabs6; 04/07/16 03:03 PM.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4247515 - 04/07/16 03:01 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: adlabs6]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: adlabs6
. During the movie, I didn't get that sense of vivid, lyrical musical narrative that Williams' Star Wars work shows.

I got the same impression. Of course that stems from creative decisions made by the producers, writers and director.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/07/16 03:01 PM.

#4247673 - 04/07/16 08:19 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Also, he is 40 years older now. Honestly, as he's aged his works have become less memorable. From giving you vivid recollections of each scene beat by beat (70s and 80s), to overall great themes that just could be anywhere in the film (90s), to stuff that suits while watching but is largely forgotten by the time you're done (21st century), his arc has been IMO a decline in his overall output quality. Still better than many younger current composers, just compared to the younger Williams he falls short. smile

The Jedi Master

#4249223 - 04/12/16 11:08 PM Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII has started filming [Re: Desert Eagle]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

I hope Episode VIII will be more original, like a young wannabe Jedi learning from a teacher who hasn't been seen for years only to leave to fight a bad guy who killed an earlier mentor. That would be so Awesome! We've never seen that story arch before.

Or what would be really cool is if they had giant dog-like machines attacking the rebels secret base right at the start. Maybe on a planet of fire. I just hope they don't have an icy planet. I can't stand ice and snow and the sub zero temperature.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.