Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4247432 - 04/07/16 12:45 PM What are you reading in April  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Just finishing up Stephen Coonts The Art of War, it was a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-War-Grafton-Novels/dp/1250041996

Purchased Modern American Snipers which I'll start tonight.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=modern+American+Snipers

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4247805 - 04/08/16 02:14 AM Re: What are you reading in April [Re: Top Gun]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Reading Ken Follet's "The pillars of the earth". I've read it in the past, but that's more than 25 years ago by now.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#4248272 - 04/09/16 09:12 AM Re: What are you reading in April [Re: Top Gun]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Post-human, David Simpson, omnibus of 4 novellas.

Just finishing book 4. He's a prolific author, all his books highly rated. The first in the series grabbed me with a premise of gene and nanobot modified humans vs anti tech humans. But he threw in a nuclear war as though it was just a conventional conflict that killed a billion people, and lost me. The plot went from tech vs non tech to tech vs tech in a been there done that plot of future tech arms race and it got kinda boring...not sure who was the good guys and bad guys and stopped caring. Huge unlikely events were dealt with superficially (Venus terraformed, in a week!) Last book was a prequel, which kind of threw me because I didnt even realise that until 97 pc finished.

All up mildly interesting but not satisfying.

http://www.amazon.com/Post-Human-Omnibus-1-4-David-Simpson-ebook/dp/B00H0D5NTI/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

[Linked Image]
#4248574 - 04/10/16 08:05 PM Re: What are you reading in April [Re: Top Gun]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA

#4248587 - 04/10/16 09:05 PM Re: What are you reading in April [Re: Top Gun]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
Just started this:

A review in the Sunday Times caught my attention. Time for a little learning!

From Amazon:

Peter, Matthew, Thomas, John :Who were these men and what was their relationship to Jesus? Tom Bissell gives us rich and deeply informed answers to those ancient questions.

Written with warmth, humour, and a rare acumen, Apostle is a brilliant and exhaustive synthesis of travel writing, centuries of biblical history, and a deep lifelong relationship with Christianity. Bissell explores not just who these renowned and pious men were (and weren't), but how their identities have taken shape over two millennia.

Bissell, in his search for this elusive set of truths, has traveled the world, visiting holy sites from Rome and Jerusalem to Turkey, India, and Kyrgyzstan, and he captures vividly the rich diversity of Christianity's global reach. Apostle is an unusual, erudite, and hilarious book, an intoxicating combination of religious, intellectual, and personal adventure.

RedToo.

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4248694 - 04/11/16 12:23 PM Re: What are you reading in April [Re: Wireman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Wireman

This has me thinking about the ACW films made by Hollywood and whether or not the rifles and revolvers used in those films were the historically accurate ones (replicas of course).

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4248748 - 04/11/16 02:39 PM Re: What are you reading in April [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
This has me thinking about the ACW films made by Hollywood and whether or not the rifles and revolvers used in those films were the historically accurate ones (replicas of course).

First page of Chapter 4:

Originally Posted By: Da book
CHAPTER 4

The Rifle, The Primer, The Ball

The rifle was the major tactical weapon of the war. Rifles were issued to armies both North and South. These were mainly new weapons, of novel pattern. Basic to both fighting forces were Springfield rifles Models 1855 and 1861, and the British 1853-56 En- fields bought by the hundred thousands from abroad. Despite the scarcity of many goods in the South as the conflict dragged on, rifles were usually in ample supply.
But the significant thing was that the rifle, as a weapon of war, was brand new. A rifle could fire a bullet with man-killing accuracy over 800 yards, much farther than the effective range of the smoothbore muskets which had been supplanted by rifles in the infantry for only a half dozen years. And the battles of the War were fought with tactics adapted to musketry engagements. The slaughter created by this mixing of old and new patterns of fighting was terrible, and resulted in making the American Civil War the bloodiest conflict of modern times.

Rifle Effect at Fredericksburg

In Burnside's assault on the high ground south of Fredericksburg, Union troops with fixed bayonets charged a fortified position occupied by 6,000 Confederate troops and 20 guns. Many of these were riflemen. While some troops, notably Meagher's brigade, reached the stone wall at the base of the hill, they were cut to pieces on the way. Meanwhile their supporting columns had become exposed to the longer range canister and case fire of Confederate artillery batteries. The whirling balls delivered in a cannon burst at a thousand yards cut the troops down. Joe Hooker was ordered by Burnside to renew the assault. Hooker's report claimed "the fire of the enemy now became still hotter. The stone wall was a sheet of flame that enveloped the head of the column. Officers and men fell so rapidly that orders could not be passed." Officers with flashing sabers (cost $20, deducted from the officer's pay) and enlisted men with rifles and bayonets fixed (stand complete, $20) charged at the run, as their ancestors had done a century before in Europe, offering to cool marksmen targets two feet wide and five feet high. Only sheer weight of numbers allowed part of the Union lines to reach the emplaced Confederates, and the assault failed. Fredericksburg rated as one of the greatest slaughters of the war.

Rifle Capabilities Already Known

Yet the awful capabilities of the rifle were not unknown to men on both sides. The papers enjoyed publishing incidents of marksmanship matches. The Baltimore Sun in March, 1856 recounted an anecdote of the War of 1812. Colonel William Stansbury's First Rifle Regiment "amused themselves in shooting, Captain Ezekiel Burke frequently cutting off small bird's heads, and in a match with a great shot from Kentucky, for $100 at sixty yards off-hand. Burke won, putting three balls in the same hole so that until they were cut out of the tree all thought his last two shots had missed the mark." Unfortunately, wide issue of rifles was not at that time accompanied by any scientific study of the change in field tactics they dictated.
Rifle shooting was popular in some areas of the country. German settlers in the Ohio Valleymen who later were to make up a large part of Franz Sigel's beer-drinking soldierswere expert riflemen. At a meeting of an Ohio rifle club just before the Civil War, 30 men put 10 shots each inside a 10-inch circle at 300 yards. It is also recorded that at a distance of three- fourths of a mile, many shots had been put inside a flour barrel without a miss.

Examples of Effect of Rifle Fire During the Civil War

There were plenty of individual opportunities for combatants to learn the range of rifle fire. "From a distance of nearly half a mile the Rebel sharpshooters drew a bead on us with a precision which deserved the highest commendation of their officers, but which made us curse the day they were born," wrote William Henry De Forest in A Volunteer's Adventures.
"One incident proves, I think," he continued, "that they were able to hit an object further off than they could distinguish its nature. A rubber blanket, hung over the stump of a sapling five feet high, which stood in the center of our bivouac, was pierced by a bullet from this quarter. A minute later a second bullet passed directly over the object and lodged in a tree behind it. I ordered the blanket to be taken down, and

It's a good read; blends history, technical data, and personal observations together.

#4248771 - 04/11/16 03:30 PM Re: What are you reading in April [Re: Top Gun]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for posting that. I think I would enjoy reading that book as well!!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4251387 - 04/21/16 11:04 AM Re: What are you reading in April [Re: Top Gun]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Juat my class textbook:

Quote:
A Thorough Description
of the
Free Knightly and Noble Art of Combat
with All Customary Weapons,
Adorned and Presented with Many Fine and
Useful Illustration

By Joachim Meyer, freifechter of Strassburg

Translated text:

The Art of Combat, Joachim Meyer, Dr Jeffrey Forung (ed), Frontline Books 2015.
ISBN: 978-1-84832-778-8

#4252339 - 04/24/16 01:08 AM Re: What are you reading in April [Re: Top Gun]  
ForSquirrels Offline
Veteran
ForSquirrels  Offline
Veteran

Just picked up The Martian for my Kindle today. I still need to find a way to make time to read more though.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
--Mark Twain

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

XBL: fmdckr81
#4253553 - 04/27/16 06:06 PM Re: What are you reading in April [Re: Top Gun]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Tracks Racing the Sun

By Sandro Martini, previously of Auto Sim Sport Magazine fame.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4253717 - 04/27/16 11:32 PM Re: What are you reading in April [Re: Top Gun]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.