Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4240816 - 03/17/16 12:39 PM Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!!  
The_Winger Offline
The_Winger  Offline

I am one of the loudest critics of the game. But right now there is noting left but to express my respect.
With the recent FM changes and the upcoming ones (FW Climbrate), together with the news on 64 Bit executable and OCULUS RIFT(HTC VIVE Support they seem to go into the right direction and do whats necessary to stay on par with other simdevelopers on the market.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/?p=340611

Last edited by The_Winger; 03/17/16 12:48 PM.
#4240869 - 03/17/16 03:57 PM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: The_Winger]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
Great news indeed. My ancient system doesn't let me play this anymore, but I have high hopes for the future now!

#4240870 - 03/17/16 04:08 PM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: The_Winger]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
yes it's a good update... but, Note, Jason said don't expect 64bit, or Occulus anytime soon... it's something they are looking into at this time.

#4240873 - 03/17/16 04:27 PM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: Trooper117]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Originally Posted By: Trooper117
yes it's a good update... but, Note, Jason said don't expect 64bit, or Occulus anytime soon... it's something they are looking into at this time.

I think there's room to be optimistic; based on Han's update, it sounds as though they've gotten past the "looking into it" and moved onto "we're trying stuff and it is rough but functional".
What I'm getting from this is that it looks like they're going to do it but they don't want to get anybody's hopes up as to it coming out soon smile

Originally Posted By: Han
Fifth, we made significant progress in moving to 64-bit executable. We can't guarantee that it will be available soon, but it is looking good. This should greatly increase the sim stability and open the way for increasing texture detail and supporting of VR devices in the future, such as Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#4240928 - 03/17/16 11:01 PM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: The_Winger]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
it's funny how they have branded people as haters for suggesting those features are significant and lacking leading to permanent bans and then as the dust settles they implement them.

The really interesting thing to hear would be how they eventually move to VR support having argued so hard that they had to drop plans because....you know....DX9.

I'm so looking forward to reading all the gushing from the ardent fans over the very features they argued would not be worth while.

#4241013 - 03/18/16 10:55 AM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: The_Winger]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
There are some good level headed fans over there... but there are the few ardent and sycophantic 'Fanbois' that tend to spoil it for anyone else that dares to venture a different opinion.

Having said that, there are those small few on the other side of the fence that can't string together a coherent argument, without resorting to some sort of personal slight either...

Sounds like a normal day at the office on the 'yellow forums' to me winkngrin Nothing changes, we have seen, and been through it all before... aren't humans fantastic...

#4241235 - 03/19/16 01:12 AM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: bongodriver]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: bongodriver
it's funny how they have branded people as haters for suggesting those features are significant and lacking leading to permanent bans and then as the dust settles they implement them.

The really interesting thing to hear would be how they eventually move to VR support having argued so hard that they had to drop plans because....you know....DX9.

I'm so looking forward to reading all the gushing from the ardent fans over the very features they argued would not be worth while.

People were not merely "suggesting these features". People were calling the developers and admins incompetent, immoral, thieves, liars, con men trying to do a bait and switch with no intention of delivering a quality product, largely because these features were not delivered when some people felt they should be. This dialog was constant and no matter what the team delivered, no matter what they said, no matter what they did not say, no matter how good the sim was it was primarily viewed from the vantage point of it's flaws, rather than it's potential by some people. When the team did try to explain in a reasonable fashion, what the plan was, whatever they said was never enough, reasons became "excuses", answers were never complete enough, progress was never fast enough every decision was second guessed and the fact that they always said they had a plan and in spite of the fact that they had a business to run and they had to run it based on their own priorities and capabilities ... none of that was ever seriously taken into consideration by some folks. In fact.. according to some of those same folks this sim was supposed to be done by now... It's a good thing they stuck with their plan and did not allow their business to be run by committee.

.... and the IL2 forum was NEVER like the bannana boards... EVER.

Last edited by Bearcat99; 04/06/16 02:36 PM.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4241294 - 03/19/16 10:21 AM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: The_Winger]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
As expected, an answer completely out of touch with reality and a very skewed sense of history.
Take VR for example, I got crucified for simply making inquiries with regards to it's progress, they did after all make the claim themselves that VR and flight sims are like 'Borsh and cream', they then create a drama about Oculus dropping support making it impossible and now suddenly as if by magic VR is back on the cards because they pulled their fingers out of their ass and 64bit/DX11 is on the cards.

You are right, it is nothing like the banana boards, over there the moderation wasn't biased and both sides got their fair share of the ban stick, though in other aspects it is one and the same thing, the same money men making bad decisions, a bunch of 777 fanatics making life miserable for everyone else and a product released to the public in a completely unfinished state.

#4241363 - 03/19/16 03:11 PM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: The_Winger]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

The expected interest from mouse control and tanks hasn't had the impact that the devs had hoped for. This U-turn on VR and 64bit is good news but let's not pretend it was always part of the big picture. It was hoped for and pretty much expected, in this day and age, from the early access adopters at the very beginning. However the devs didn't think it necessary to give the customers what they wanted as the "customers" they had were not the ones they wanted. The target market has failed to materialize and so the devs have gone back to the original market. It's a shame it took so long. Imagine where we'd be if the devs had listened to their customers from the very beginning.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4241385 - 03/19/16 04:44 PM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: The_Winger]  
SkullBiscuit Offline
SkullBiscuit  Offline

USA
Waiting for the price to drop on BoM before sticking a toe back into this product/market

It's really a pity (on the other hand I'm so much more productive today not having a reason to divert myself hahaha)

But considering what the flight sim market was 7 years ago to what it has become.....

These guys at 777/1C made a whole bunch of tactical business errors pursuing market share from entrenched incumbents (WoP) while abandoning their core market and customers in defiance of many models taught in business schools on how to succeed in niche markets

Now having been hit upside the head multiple times by the baseball bat of the market

Maybe these stubborn Russians at 1C are finally awake and paying attention

AMD 8 core at 4.7Ghz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB
Sim on SSD
Win 7 64bit
#4243468 - 03/26/16 01:18 PM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: The_Winger]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
HEHE!!! Bc, I have to give you one thing, you have consistently stuck with the same BS, " future potential" story for both BOS and BOM since the beginning. A true 1C/777 [text deleted] supporter you are. I just updated, went to delete prior recordings, I had none, then exited. Let me know when we hit that "future potential" point so I can try this game again. biggrin Alrighty then, I am out for another year.

S!Blade<><

Last edited by CyBerkut; 03/26/16 08:28 PM. Reason: Moderation
#4247082 - 04/06/16 01:43 PM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: Bearcat99]  
no_one_you_know Offline
no_one_you_know  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bearcat99
... and in spite of the fact that they had a business to ruin and they ...

Freudian slip there buddy?

#4247105 - 04/06/16 02:37 PM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: no_one_you_know]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: no_one_you_know
Originally Posted By: Bearcat99
... and in spite of the fact that they had a business to ruin and they ...

Freudian slip there buddy?

Nope.. just a finger slip.. thanks for the heads up..

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4247119 - 04/06/16 03:28 PM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: The_Winger]  
JagerNeun Offline
JagerNeun  Offline

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

#4247330 - 04/07/16 12:50 AM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: The_Winger]  
Pand Offline
Pand  Offline

Kentucky
Hey, at least [Text deleted] doesn't have moderation privileges here, or you'd be filtered and banned.

Good hunting gents.

Let's not start with that stuff. It's really not necessary.

Last edited by CyBerkut; 04/07/16 02:59 AM. Reason: Moderation

Colonel Pand, [TWB] The Wet Bandits - http://www.thewetbandits.org
"CHEERS DAKPILOT" - Dakpilot
#4251173 - 04/20/16 06:39 PM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: bongodriver]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

As expected, an answer completely out of touch with reality and a very skewed sense of history.
Take VR for example, I got crucified for simply making inquiries with regards to it's progress, they did after all make the claim themselves that VR and flight sims are like 'Borsh and cream', they then create a drama about Oculus dropping support making it impossible and now suddenly as if by magic VR is back on the cards because they pulled their fingers out of their ass and 64bit/DX11 is on the cards.

Don't get your panties in a bunch just yet about VR. DCS is struggling with it and DX11 isn't enough to get acceptable performance out of the headsets. DX12 is probably needed. You can read all about it here, this is a very good explaination of the challenges.
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2750192&postcount=27

And VR itself is by no means a certain sucess. So probably find something else to beat up IL-2 over...
http://www.pcgamesn.com/how-why-and-when-vr-will-fail

Last edited by SharpeXB; 04/20/16 06:45 PM.

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
#4251181 - 04/20/16 07:21 PM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: SharpeXB]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB

Don't get your panties in a bunch just yet about VR. DCS is struggling with it and DX11 isn't enough to get acceptable performance out of the headsets. DX12 is probably needed. You can read all about it here, this is a very good explaination of the challenges.
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2750192&postcount=27

And VR itself is by no means a certain sucess. So probably find something else to beat up IL-2 over...
http://www.pcgamesn.com/how-why-and-when-vr-will-fail

Some doomsayers article full of skepticism of VR is hardly 'facts'

I wouldn't say DCS is struggling with VR, I happen to use it quite comfortably with my DK2, no evidence of a struggle there or on any other current title providing VR support for that matter, I was only 30 minutes ago flying a BAe Hawk low level over Las Vegas without anything seeming particularly challenging.
My panties are not in a bunch over VR, so far I am more than happy with it in all the titles whose developers have had the foresight to adopt the technology.
If I were you I wouldn't be so smug.

#4251183 - 04/20/16 07:31 PM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: The_Winger]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

When it comes to VR there's a level of quality early adopters will accept and what the general public will and they aren't the same.
Yeah it will sure be interesting to see how it develops. Honestly hard core flight sims won't have any impact on the sucess or failure of VR. They're a niche game no matter what.

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
#4251187 - 04/20/16 07:44 PM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: SharpeXB]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
Yes flight sims are somewhat niche but space sims and car racing sims have a much wider audience and they have taken to VR very well too, there has even been a bit of a resurgence in HOTAS hardware sales thanks to the space sims, VR does not necessarily have to rely on existing genres to really take hold, VR will in all probability bring about an entirely new set of game genres of it's own.

#4251196 - 04/20/16 08:24 PM Re: Looks like they finally go into the right direction!!! [Re: bongodriver]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

Yes flight sims are somewhat niche but space sims and car racing sims have a much wider audience and they have taken to VR very well too, there has even been a bit of a resurgence in HOTAS hardware sales thanks to the space sims, VR does not necessarily have to rely on existing genres to really take hold, VR will in all probability bring about an entirely new set of game genres of it's own.

Flight and Racing games aren't big. Action and Shooters are and 1st Person Shooters don't adapt to VR very well. I don't know if VR is going to turn this cart upside down.

Last edited by SharpeXB; 04/20/16 08:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  CyBerkut 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.