Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4240751 - 03/17/16 04:58 AM The Fastest ATI Video Card to Play Steel Fury without any glitches would be?  
Lonny007 Offline
Lonny007  Offline

Well Hello again, I still never did buy that new computer to play Steel Fury, last time I posted here about recommendations ATI was preferred over Nvidia because of some message Glitch, and I thought I read somewhere the very latest ATI cards where causing some problem with Steel Fury, that being said what ATI card would you buy to play Steel Fury in all its glory, I would guess there would be a point since this is a older game that I could go overkill on a ATI video Card and not get any performance gain and maybe even cause a problem because of newer technology. Is it safe to say the latest ATI driver works great for Steel Fury or is there a older driver that works better.

I also read that the latest Alienware Laptop has a external device that lets you use other video cards, this maybe a option for me instead of building 2 computers one with ATI video card for Steel Fury and the other with a Nvidia Video Card for some of the latst games I want to try out.

Thanks for any help and advise!

Lonny

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4241025 - 03/18/16 11:38 AM Re: The Fastest ATI Video Card to Play Steel Fury without any glitches would be? [Re: Lonny007]  
frinik22 Offline
frinik22  Offline

LoOnny007; try using punctuation in your sentences it will make them easier for the rest of us to read them.

Ok using an alienware laptop with the attached dock for an external graphic card is not a good idea and a waste of money in my opinion.

I play Steel Fury with an Nvidia GTX860M 2 GBS gddr5 on my Asus laptop and with an ATI HD 7750 1 gb gddr5 on my desktop. Steel Fury is not really graphics intensive. It is rather cpu intensive because it does not use multicores very well. As a rule, ATI cards are more Steel Fury-friendly as the game does not seem to recognize the vram used by the Nvidia ones and will often default the settings to a minimum. You get the message in the game menu that you have insufficient video memory even though it's not the case. You can solve this partly though tinkering with the video settings. ATI cards don't seem to have that issue. Buying a specific card for a specific game does not make much sense unless you play only one game?. What you need to do is look for the best graphic card at the best price which will play fluidly all your games.

Your best bet would be to wait a few months as both AMD and Nvidia are in the process of introducing their next generation of gpus with great promises of increased performance, decreased size and power consumption. Even if they don't interest you it will mean that older cards will be heavily discounted as a result and you could get a very solid card at a very low price.

#4241314 - 03/19/16 12:36 PM Re: The Fastest ATI Video Card to Play Steel Fury without any glitches would be? [Re: Lonny007]  
Lonny007 Offline
Lonny007  Offline

Thanks for reply, sorry about my English Writing, English was never my strong point in school. Well I dont mind having 2 computers if thats what it takes to play the games I want to play correctly. So it looks like buy the fastest Non Multicore CPU and a ATI HD 7750 or faster for STEEL FURY, and some other games I want to try like (Battle of Britan2, Strike Fighters 2, EECH / EEAH, Steel Beast Pro, SH4, SH5, Atlantic Fleet, may play better on this system then the 2nd More Faster Computer with Nvidia Video Card for games like DCS World and IL-2 Series. I am assuming some of these games listed above would play better with a Nvidia Video Card then the ATI Video Card?

Would the ATI system for Steel Fury and some of the older games be better off with Windows 7 and the Faster Nvidia system for DCS World and IL-2 Series be better with Windows 10?

I am sure there will be a lot of trial and error for me learning the hard way, if anyone knows of any compatibility problems I might be looking at please make a quick post.

For the ATI system for Steel Fury, how much memory would be optimum for the game?

One last question. In your opinion what is a "very solid Gaming video Card" for ATI and Nvidia right now?

I guess I can use the SimHQ Article "Build A Gaming Rig For Less Than $650" and "PC Component Upgrade Guide Holiday 2015" as a Guide.

Thanks so much for your help, I have been stuck in the stone ages for quiet some time, but been happily satisfied with my Old Windows 98SE with P3 Tualatin 1.4 and Geforce 4600TI playing EAW, Mig Alley, enjoyed many other older games over the years but those 2 are my favorites and when I have time the only ones that still give me enjoyment plus my reliable Laptop that I am typing on right now my Dell 8600 Windows XP Pro with 2.0 M CPU 2.0GB Memory and ATI 9600 Pro 128MB video Card for Silent Hunter3, CAW, Vietcong, and Swat4 I still enjoy those games too. So You can see I have been stuck in the Past and its time to hopefully see what I have been missing out on. I remember the days of buying game after game and lots of times being disappointed and rarely finding a keeper game, it was still fun though but expensive hehe.

Thanks again for the info!

Lonny

#4241599 - 03/20/16 02:08 PM Re: The Fastest ATI Video Card to Play Steel Fury without any glitches would be? [Re: Lonny007]  
frinik22 Offline
frinik22  Offline

Ok I would suggest 2 bg of vram so buy a video card with 2 gb of gddr5 vram rathen than just 1 gb.

RE the most solid video card what is your budget? For ATI Radeon it may be the R9 270X 2 gb or for Nvidia the GTX 660 which are both at reasonable prices. It depends on your needs and budget.

I have switched all my laptops and desktop to Windows 10 from Win 7 & 8.1. I recommend everybody does the same while the conversion is still free. My experience with Windows 10 is positive and it's actually faster than Win 7 in boot time. Plus it's the future of gaming. I love Win 7 but let's face it Direct X 12 and all new technologies that are coming and will revolutionise the graphic card industry will work better or possibly only with Win 10.

Last edited by frinik22; 03/20/16 02:09 PM.
#4242079 - 03/22/16 04:45 AM Re: The Fastest ATI Video Card to Play Steel Fury without any glitches would be? [Re: Lonny007]  
Lonny007 Offline
Lonny007  Offline

Thank You for your help, very much appreciated!

Lonny

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.