Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4239927 - 03/15/16 02:49 AM OT - WWI Arts & Crafts (Skinners?)  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
I have been fiddling for quiet a while with framing a print that my brother-in-law bought for me Christmas before last. The plan is to have the German Iron cross in two diagonal corners of the frame, and the British Roundel in the other two (the print shows the Flying Circus rolling in to attack some British Sopwiths).

To keep the old-time feel, I cut triangles of wood and pointed the grain of each toward the centers of the iron cross, forming a square, then bleached it almost white, but with the wood grain definitive; similar with the iron cross, it's dark but not pure black, in 4 segments with the "V"'s meeting in the center, so it will have an aged, faded feel to it.

But every effort to do something similar for the roundel has not been acceptable to me. Wood just does not like to be cut in a circle (without custom hole saws). So my punt is that I've scanned the wood grain, and I want to digitally "stain" the roundels onto it with GIMP (it's all I have, and it's a bit obscure, I use it even more rarely than I fly...). Then I'll print it onto photo paper and glue it down. Like I said, a punt, but I gotta get this thing off my workbench.

Is this tough to do? Thanks for any help, don't put too much time into it. I think I'd have to make a separate layer and make it somewhat transparent?

Thanks again!

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4239982 - 03/15/16 08:58 AM Re: OT - WWI Arts & Crafts (Skinners?) [Re: HumanDrone]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

HD, what type of wood are you working with and how thick is it? I've been a woodworker for decades and I can say from experience that you most certainly can cut it into beautiful circles. Lay out the circles with a compass or a template and cut them with a coping saw, (which you can usually find for a few dollars if you don't already have one). If you have access to a band saw you can make up a quick pin jig and cut perfect circles very quickly, just keep your fingers out of the blade. And for thinner wood you can simply sand it round once you've cut it close to the circle you've laid out using the aforementioned compass or template.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4240216 - 03/15/16 07:27 PM Re: OT - WWI Arts & Crafts (Skinners?) [Re: HumanDrone]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
Or how about wood burning?
Youtube tutorial of a woman doing a celtic knot design. Lots of curves.

My mother tried her hand at it and didn't like it, but it could work for you.

#4240312 - 03/16/16 02:23 AM Re: OT - WWI Arts & Crafts (Skinners?) [Re: HumanDrone]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Thank you both, gents.

The problem is the size. A 1.75" diameter roundel is most super tiny in the middle, and to cut 3 nested circles I've found to be quite difficult. What is that ratio? 1:3:5 I think, which makes the center circle like 0.35" diameter.

I have a two coping saws, one with a six inch throat and one with a 12" throat - you see something like that at a flea market and you have to grab it just for the pure novelty! I'll likely never use it. As well I have a reasonable scroll saw and a tiny band saw (having a little trouble getting the blade to track on that one). These are all part of my Museum of Unused Woodworking Tools, which also includes a really nice table saw and a 1939 Walker-Turner lathe. I don't have any time for woodworking any more than WOFFing, but I've squeezed out a bit here and there to get that frame made over the past 15 months... rolleyes

Plus I have a reasonable drill press.

For materials, I have very thin basswood sheet - like 1/16", some precut craft circles that turned out to be not too circular (a little heavier), and some very thin self-adhesive wood that I tried cutting with an X-acto or a fresh utility knife blade. The self adhesive wood advises that you can run it through your inkjet printer, which I tried, but it bled in the grain direction.

Thanks for the woodburning link, Maeran. That would be ok if I could get the circles traced with a template. Which may be my out - I just remembered I have an old plastic circle template at work. I'd better get that beauty home.

Still, individual "donuts" for each band of the roundel may be a step too far. It's tough working that small.

What sort of woodworking do you like to do, Lou?

& Thanks both, for your help & ideas.

Here's a picture of the Iron Cross. The backing is glued down, the 4 pieces making up the cross are not - may need a little final shaping for a tight glue-up. It's this wood-grained, kinda worn & faded look I'm aiming for.

Last edited by HumanDrone; 03/17/16 01:50 AM. Reason: Added a picture

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
#4241234 - 03/19/16 01:06 AM Re: OT - WWI Arts & Crafts (Skinners?) [Re: HumanDrone]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
I'm just going to pop this up in case anyone has any other ideas and to show off my iron cross. That's a 2" square.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM