Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4235266 - 03/01/16 01:01 PM Starbucks.... what are you thinking...  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Italy, the land of espresso and now Starbucks is going to give it a go? I see FAIL.

http://www.wired.com/2016/02/italians-compare-arrival-starbucks-apocalypse/

Years ago, before the push button automatic espresso machines, a good coffee slinger could still make a decent cup of joe despite the crappy tasting burnt coffee Starbucks bumps out. I can not see Italy, at least in the cities really going for this. Even here in Washington, the land of Starbucks you generally can find WAY better coffee beverages from pretty much any body who actually tries to do so. So many really good small roasters in Seattle like Vita or Victrola among like freaking 15 others in Seattle area. Even here the little piss ant town I live in now we have 2 Starbucks a like 6 or 7 others and one rather good roaster Mocha Joe.

So I have to ask? How on earth will Starbucks rock Italy? And will they introduce the US menu where they reinvented the macchiato? That is suppose to be a shot of espresso with some caramel. Not a fatty latte with milk and crap caramel! Its like the difference between what a pizza is in Italy and the totally different thing it is in the US.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4235269 - 03/01/16 01:07 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439

Domino's Pizza  
Address: Via della Martinella, 1, 20152 Milano, Italy
Phone:+39 02 2107 0860
Hours: Closing soon 122:30PM, 610:30PM

Give Dominos a call and see how they are doing.

#4235272 - 03/01/16 01:17 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
The fundamental problem is that Starbucks is a publicly traded company so therefore it is obligated to expand into new markets. Gotta keep Wall Street analysts happy.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4235307 - 03/01/16 02:40 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
They'll rock it like McDonald's rocks anywhere, it's an easy quick place for lazy people in a hurry to grab something for their craw before work wink

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4235308 - 03/01/16 02:41 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: Peally]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Peally
They'll rock it like McDonald's rocks anywhere, it's an easy quick place for lazy people in a hurry to grab something for their craw before work wink
And pay 4 bucks for it. With Dunkin Donuts and McDonald's coffee being quite good and for half the price I'm surprised Starbucks is still around.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4235310 - 03/01/16 02:44 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Brand recognition baby

#4235315 - 03/01/16 02:54 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
amnwrx Offline
amnwrx  Offline

Please excuse the generality but why does it seem like Italians make things like these so dramatic; the apocalypse?! I was just having a conversation with the mother in law (a first gen Italian American) about how using a spoon assist with spegetti is "sacrilege". Just my own opservation.

Last edited by amnwrx; 03/01/16 02:55 PM.
#4235345 - 03/01/16 03:31 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
It's the hot blooded Mediterranean personality at work. The Greeks suffer from it too. smile

#4235360 - 03/01/16 03:55 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Ya, I would say Italian...

But also certain things like the spoon and pasta can also relate to a class or social difference. One of my Grandfathers was born in Sicily and emigrated early on as a child. I can say he married an Irish Girl and she was the one with the hot and crazy temperament. I am really trying to remember if anyone on that side of the family did the spoon thing. I do not think so. The more Scottish side of the family tried to make use a spoon with pasta however.. I do remember that.... But who knows. As another wacky Euro American mutt the only part of the Italian side I inherited was the crazy hand gesturing. Ya. I talk with my hands if I am passionate about something. Thanks Mum...

Thank you internet....

On the spoon with pasta thing. In mainland Italy.. NO spoon. Only for children. In Sicily often used with spaghetti and the like. Which apparently my grandfather and great grandfather did not use. Perhaps transplants or something. Definitely wandering feet with the great grandparents on ALL sides of the family.

edit edit..

Another possibility on the spoon with pasta thing. And fork and spoon it seems is used by Italian children sometimes. Perhaps it became a thing over here as so many children came with their parents over this way in the early 20th century. That is what they did as kids and no one to tell them they are being barbarians later. biggrin

Man I go off in the weirdest thought trains...

Last edited by FlashBurn; 03/01/16 04:14 PM.
#4235370 - 03/01/16 04:08 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
How does one eat spaghetti with a friggen spoon? Whenever I have chili-only-not-real-chili with noodles I need to use the spoon as a knife before I can eat.

#4235373 - 03/01/16 04:14 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: Peally]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Fork AND spoon. You twirl around the spoon for some reason.

#4235374 - 03/01/16 04:16 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Me reading this thread-> rofl.

Where to begin... Oh, I know. I'll make myself a cup of coffee.
Proper.
Fllcking.
Coffee.

And fllck too all who cuts spaghetti to eat them under 5 years of age.

Using a spoon is actually cool.
But you show true skill by using the concave part of the dish to do the same.

Graphics explanation incoming later.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4235376 - 03/01/16 04:19 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439

#4235378 - 03/01/16 04:25 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
American style pizza is generally far better than Italian though, whereas you can't say the same about the coffee culture.

However, yours truly lives in an Italian neighborhood full of authentic coffee houses and yet the Starbucks' are always packed, because inexplicable reasons.

#4235379 - 03/01/16 04:28 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: FlashBurn
I can say he married an Irish Girl and she was the one with the hot and crazy temperament.

People of Celtic origin also have a reputation for being hot blooded/hot headed. smile

#4235386 - 03/01/16 04:37 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: Crane Hunter]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Originally Posted By: Crane Hunter
American style pizza is generally far better than Italian though, whereas you can't say the same about the coffee culture.

However, yours truly lives in an Italian neighborhood full of authentic coffee houses and yet the Starbucks' are always packed, because inexplicable reasons.

I completely disagree on the pizza...

Sorry more random from me... So there I was in desert.... One of my buddies was stationed in Italy for awhile and with nothing better to do we where talking about food. He would not shut up about pizza from Naples. How it was SO much not like pizza back home and SO much better. I have managed to have some legit Italian style stuff over here. And ya, I think its way better. No cheese, no crazy sauces drowning everything. Just goodness on something more like flat bread. Not to say I have not had some really kick arse US style pizza. Ya I have. But they are SO different from one another that one needs a name change as they are not the same thing.

I do not get the Starbucks thing either when you might have an excellent roaster/maker 1/2 a block away that blows charbucks out of the water by a long shot and yet there it is, filled up with people. Oh and charges less too... dizzy

#4235388 - 03/01/16 04:38 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Ya, I would say Italian...

But also certain things like the spoon and pasta can also relate to a class or social difference. One of my Grandfathers was born in Sicily and emigrated early on as a child. I can say he married an Irish Girl and she was the one with the hot and crazy temperament. I am really trying to remember if anyone on that side of the family did the spoon thing. I do not think so. The more Scottish side of the family tried to make use a spoon with pasta however.. I do remember that.... But who knows. As another wacky Euro American mutt the only part of the Italian side I inherited was the crazy hand gesturing. Ya. I talk with my hands if I am passionate about something. Thanks Mum...

Thank you internet....

On the spoon with pasta thing. In mainland Italy.. NO spoon. Only for children. In Sicily often used with spaghetti and the like. Which apparently my grandfather and great grandfather did not use. Perhaps transplants or something. Definitely wandering feet with the great grandparents on ALL sides of the family.

edit edit..

Another possibility on the spoon with pasta thing. And fork and spoon it seems is used by Italian children sometimes. Perhaps it became a thing over here as so many children came with their parents over this way in the early 20th century. That is what they did as kids and no one to tell them they are being barbarians later. biggrin

Man I go off in the weirdest thought trains...

My Dad is Italian and my Mom was Irish. My dad used to say that sliced bread was a no no in his house growing up. Bread was to be pulled apart. Yes, us Euro mutt's can be a little different. Both sides of the family were hot headed. But I noticed the Italian side was friendlier and could forgive and forget. The Irish side was stubborn and held grudges for ever. Ah, the memories. LOL !

Last edited by LB4LB; 03/01/16 04:40 PM.
#4235390 - 03/01/16 04:40 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
It must be mostly millennials who love to take advantage of the free WiFi who are going to Starbucks. smile

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/01/16 04:41 PM.

#4235394 - 03/01/16 04:43 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Fork AND spoon. You twirl around the spoon for some reason.

Madness

#4235404 - 03/01/16 05:05 PM Re: Starbucks.... what are you thinking... [Re: FlashBurn]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Crane Hunter

I completely disagree on the pizza...

Sorry more random from me... So there I was in desert.... One of my buddies was stationed in Italy for awhile and with nothing better to do we where talking about food. He would not shut up about pizza from Naples. How it was SO much not like pizza back home and SO much better. I have managed to have some legit Italian style stuff over here. And ya, I think its way better. No cheese, no crazy sauces drowning everything. Just goodness on something more like flat bread. Not to say I have not had some really kick arse US style pizza. Ya I have. But they are SO different from one another that one needs a name change as they are not the same thing.

I do not get the Starbucks thing either when you might have an excellent roaster/maker 1/2 a block away that blows charbucks out of the water by a long shot and yet there it is, filled up with people. Oh and charges less too... dizzy

You, you are a cool guy! biggrin

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.