Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4232415 - 02/23/16 02:37 AM Part Two: Resisting Windows 10?  
iLee Offline
SimHQ Writer
iLee  Offline
SimHQ Writer

http://www.simhq.com/daily-news/part-two-resisting-windows-10.html

Do you think Microsoft's telemetry gathering is benign or something a bit spookier?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4232514 - 02/23/16 09:49 AM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

I think the issue is who do you trust to protect your information against malicious attacks. Unless you can hire a professional to configure your system against security threats, it's near impossible for the average user. The majority of folks do not have the knowledge to do it right, so then Microsoft becomes the next best thing.

I can't imagine reading a zillion articles, blogs, threads and try to figure out how to protect myself. I'll take the lesser of two evils. Sure Microsoft may be stealing something from me without my knowledge, but it's much better than a hacker doing the same.

#4232590 - 02/23/16 02:02 PM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
Skybird Offline
Skybird  Offline

Trust is an empirically justified confidence, that means it is basing on a collection of earlier experiences that showed satisfying results from the point of view of the perosn spending the trust.

Microsoft has no such record with me, and the ways in which they try to sneak GWX onto my W7 system even when I deliberately said No and tailored my defences accordingly, has - due to the repeated efforts of theirs to infiltrate my system and to alter my system settings to open a gate for them - in fact formed a full bag of utmost negative experiences that have written MISTRUST all over them. It is the result of their doings. Cheat your customers, and get recognized as a cheater. No surprise there.

To read about how they also auto-reset privacy protection settings on machines with W10 whenever they send an update they decided the user should betatest them for them, no matter his likes or dislikes, is anothe reason why MS does not deserve to be trusted. A company that does not take the customer's No for a No, and instead does what it wants even when violating the explicit will of the system owner, deserves no trust. They violate the explicit will of me, the owner of my computer? They are out. Period. After all, its my property, not theirs.

I have drawn the consequences and have abandoned MS largely, almost completely, only maintain a gaming HD with W7, but do EVERYTHING else from a different Linux HD. When I update my PC in the forseeable future, I will get two systems infact: one gaming rig, if needed with W10, that is only used for launching games: if that data is interesting for them, so shall be it, it means nothing - and I mostly play offline anyway - ; and one laptop with Linux for any other task, surfing, online-shopping, work, data archives and so forth. In other words: all data they do or do not collect from me, is only about what games I play. They get no profiling data,. no emai,.a dresses, no nothing beyond that. Nothing. I do not even feel comfortable anymore to have MS and Linux residing on two difgferent HDs in one PC tower anymore. Trust lost is trust lost completely.

I do not tolerate MS being able to dictate the conditions under which i have to "trust" them. As far as I am concerned, they have shot themselves out of my life's orbit. And I am making sure neither their services nor any of their OS nor any of their software will ever return.

I may sound a bit old school, but the very moment some stranger adresses me with telling me that I could or should trust him, is the moment when my alarm bell comes to life. Trust is not spend in advance (that is hoping for the best when taking an uncalculatable or unpredictable risk), but needs to be deserved. And MS does not deserve it, but does deserve utmost mistrust. The record is clear and strong.

People using cloud services for sensitive, wokr-related or personal data that allows to profile them, I cannot help. I you refuse to hear the shot even when the pistol ,is fired right beside your ear, you're a hopeless case. I do not even touch onto the added problem of that storage servers usually are located in the US and thus fall under US jurisdiction and NSA espionage policies.

I recommend to maintain a regular checking of this, twice or three times per week, and especially when the patching Tuesday of horror is around:

http://www.askwoody.com/

Last edited by Skybird; 02/23/16 02:08 PM.
#4232621 - 02/23/16 04:20 PM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Great article Lee!

A bit sad, as I'm running it on my new LT, and putting aside shady business practice, it's actually a very nice OS, and a great follow on to Windows 7. Classic case of MS getting in their own way.

I haven't updated my gaming DT yet, more than anything because I don't trust the "update while leaving everything in tact" method to work, so I'm assuming I'll need to do the full blown clean sweep install.

Also, I don't care so much about MS having various bits of my data, I care about Someone back-dooring into the MS storage system of said data. That's really where my mistrust of the platform starts aligning more with what Skybird notes above.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#4232642 - 02/23/16 05:13 PM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
dogbite Offline
dogbite  Offline

I just upgraded a Windows 7 distro to 10 for gaming as I expect to need dx12 at some point for my gaming fix. I however, I do e-commerce and email on another win 7 distro that I have not upgraded since win10 nag started and I removed the offending nag updates from windows update. I will be moving that stuff to Linux on another machine soon. In the mean time the two OS boot drives are not live at the same time.

As far as the future of my Windows 10 pc, it will just be the glorifed gaming device all the xbox kids wish they had.

Ironic that if it had not been for Alex St John, Microsoft would have missed out on gaming and w might all be using a different os like Linux but for now they are integral to any worth-while gaming IMHO

BUT That's All. Protect your sell from the most insidious spyware so far Windows 10

#4232791 - 02/24/16 02:11 AM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
frinik22 Offline
frinik22  Offline

I converted all my 4 laptops and one desktop from Windows 7 or 8.1 to 10 and I am happy I did. Windows 10 runs smoothly and is the way of the future. As for Microsoft keeping tabs on me? If it's not them then it will be the NSA or some other similar outfit. Being paranoid about it is not going to change anything. Not to mention that MS may already be gathering data on all of us using Windows 7 , 8 or 8.1 without us being aware of it.... As far as I am concerned they can gather all the data they want on me and choke on it. Whatever I want to keep private I don't keep it on a computer hard drive anyway.

#4233135 - 02/24/16 09:01 PM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
My next system will be a Windows 10 machine. There comes a point where trying to keep old software (or hardware) running is not worth the trouble anymore.

#4233708 - 02/26/16 06:25 AM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Quote:
There comes a point where trying to keep old software (or hardware) running is not worth the trouble anymore

Shouldn't that be my choice and not and not M$'s choice for the hardware and software I have already purchased? If yes then think about the intrusive practices of Win10.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4233869 - 02/26/16 04:39 PM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
Quote:

Not a week after this post went live, Microsoft announced that Next-Gen CPUs will only support Windows 10. So, if you plan on upgrading your gaming rig between now and 2023 (2020 for W7), then you’re probably going to have to upgrade to Windows 10, as well. Any next-generation processor made by Intel, AMD, Qualcomm, or anyone else will only support Windows 10.

Not true!

It's just MS way trying to make people belive the sky is falling and the only salvation is Windows 10!

Intel/AMD/Qualcomm is not so stupid they will limit the OS for their CPU's to Windows 10 only. It's MS propaganda machine talking. Old CPU's will still work with Windows 10 (maybe not with all features but thats just like MMX/SSE/etc in the past) and new CPU's will still work with Windows 7/8 and Linux.

/KC

>> It's all about teamwork! <<
#4233874 - 02/26/16 05:02 PM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
Ohh I forgot this one...

http://www.maximumpc.com/full-screen-ads-showing-up-in-windows-10/

Apparently there is a way to disable the ads, at least for now wink

/KC

#4234275 - 02/27/16 07:41 PM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: KeyCat]  
iLee Offline
SimHQ Writer
iLee  Offline
SimHQ Writer

Originally Posted By: KeyCat
Quote:

Not a week after this post went live, Microsoft announced that Next-Gen CPUs will only support Windows 10. So, if you plan on upgrading your gaming rig between now and 2023 (2020 for W7), then you’re probably going to have to upgrade to Windows 10, as well. Any next-generation processor made by Intel, AMD, Qualcomm, or anyone else will only support Windows 10.

Not true!

It's just MS way trying to make people belive the sky is falling and the only salvation is Windows 10!

Intel/AMD/Qualcomm is not so stupid they will limit the OS for their CPU's to Windows 10 only. It's MS propaganda machine talking. Old CPU's will still work with Windows 10 (maybe not with all features but thats just like MMX/SSE/etc in the past) and new CPU's will still work with Windows 7/8 and Linux.

/KC

I can understand your incredulity at the statement. I was likewise a little surprised by the bold move by Microsoft.

Do you have a source to back up your claim? Or are you just speculating? If you're speculating, I hope that your guess is correct, however, all the available information that I've seen points to a W10 exclusivity on next-gen (and current gen Skylake)processors. That said, if an announcement has been made in the past few days, I may have missed it. I don't have time to research it right at this moment, but I'll take a look later today. Like I said though, if you have a source to back up that statement, hit me up here or in a PM, I'd like to see it.

Thanks,
--Lee

#4234290 - 02/27/16 08:20 PM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
Originally Posted By: iLee

Do you have a source to back up your claim? Or are you just speculating?

A little bit of both smile

I highly doub't CPU makers have any interest to limit their customer base to please MS. I speculate it will not happen and would even bet on it smile

The article I read a person with no/little knowledge would believe it just reading the headline. What they actually say is that new specific features implemented in the upcoming CPU's won't be supported on older Windows OS. Nothing new and happend before when new technologies got implemented in the CPU.

The difference this time is that MS makes it sound like the sky is falling and Windows 10 will be your "only" OS option for future CPU's so you better upgrade now when it's "free" since you have no choice anyway.

I run Windows 7 SP1/Linux perfectly fine on a new Skylake and so does many others, in that case your information is 100% wrong.

IIRC some of those features only supported by Windows 10 they mentioned was facial recognition as alternative to passwords, network managers could update machines remotely can't remember more but to the missing features are no big deal for a user at home or even small bussineses.

Will see if I can dig up the link to the article.

/KC

#4234993 - 02/29/16 08:31 PM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: KeyCat]  
iLee Offline
SimHQ Writer
iLee  Offline
SimHQ Writer

Originally Posted By: KeyCat

I run Windows 7 SP1/Linux perfectly fine on a new Skylake and so does many others, in that case your information is 100% wrong.

I mention in my article that Skylake processors do, indeed, currently work on OS's other than W10... for the time being. The pertinent information from the post:

"Furthermore, Intel’s new Skylake chips, which are already out in the wild, will only receive full support from Microsoft until July 17, 2017. After that time, only “the most critical Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 security updates will be addressed for these configurations, and will be released if the update does not risk the reliability or compatibility of the Windows 7/8.1 platform on other devices.” In other words, you may or may not get the security updates you need."

However, I do hope your guess is correct.

#4241323 - 03/19/16 01:09 PM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
Looks like MS changed their minds...

Quote:

critical patches will be addressed for Skylake systems until the end of mainstream support for the operating system, which is January 2020 for Windows 7, and January 2023 for Windows 8.1.
Future hardware may run just fine on Windows 7 if you can put up with issues like Ian had installing Windows 7 on a new Skylake system when he was forced to use an optical disk.

The last part is of course dependent on HW manufacturers releasing drivers working with 7/8.x

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10167/microsoft-extends-skylake-support-on-windows-7-and-windows-81

/KC

#4280040 - 07/19/16 02:36 AM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
I'm part of the resistance and plan to keep it that way. I'm staying on a modified Win8.1 as long as possible.

#4280298 - 07/20/16 07:31 AM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

I keep a Win98 rig and a DOS rig. I am done with modding games. My time is now spent pissing on WinBlows. :P Linux now plays most Win98 games and continues to port newer versions of DX.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4281941 - 07/25/16 10:14 PM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Brit44 'Aldo'
Quote:
There comes a point where trying to keep old software (or hardware) running is not worth the trouble anymore

Shouldn't that be my choice and not and not M$'s choice for the hardware and software I have already purchased? If yes then think about the intrusive practices of Win10.

So the march of technology should be determined by your 10-year-old inkjet and copy of Falcon 3.0? I bet you have a Betamax too biggrin

#4281963 - 07/25/16 11:33 PM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Here's the problem I have with MS (or maybe with just the way things are)...

Several years ago I bought a Compaq laptop with Vista, which had just come out. No problem I thought, I'll just replace Vista with XP. Wrong. As part of an agreement with MS, Compaq refused to support XP. The workaround was to use HP drivers, and for the most part it worked except for no wireless and the sound volume control was quirky. I fixed those problems with a USB ethernet and SoundBlaster card, and I use this laptop still today.

A more elegant solution was using Linux Ubuntu, everything worked fine, but I needed Windows.

I'll be buying a Win10 laptop soon and I'll just deal with the stupidity (e.g. going through hoops to turn off automatic updating, not good for satellite ISP users), I just don't care anymore.

Still using a Windows 2000 desktop for 90% of what I do, it just *feels* like a no-nonsense desktop OS (as does XP when I need to work on a laptop). The new Win10 laptop is going to replace my Win7 laptop once it finishes giving up the ghost, mainly for going online.

#4288424 - 08/18/16 04:12 PM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

soapbox

Windows 10: The Wife's computers broke the other day. An old machine with a bad Graphics card running windows 10. The system itself made loading new drivers difficult for a upgraded/replacement card. It had a AMD card with a PCI express of one. 350 Watts power plant. No AMD card that old in sight so I finally, got a Nvida 710 card with PCI express of 2 to fit snugly in the slot. Its rated for up to 300 Watts DDR of 3. I must say it looks Odd, but works well. Told her to save her nickels and dimes she needs a whole new computer. Anyone know offhand what is the newest and best PC bang for the buck. ?

Last edited by carrick58; 08/18/16 04:15 PM.
#4288880 - 08/20/16 02:35 AM Re: Part Two: Resisting Windows 10? [Re: iLee]  
RogueSqdn Offline
USAF Veteran
RogueSqdn  Offline
USAF Veteran

Advance, NC
A Mac Mini. smile

Jared
-----
FalconNW MachV, Obutto R3volution

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.