Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4231535 - 02/20/16 06:27 PM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Music is such a subjective thing that I don't even bother to argue about it.

What can't be denied though is the massive influence that some bands have had while other bands came and then faded away with a whimper.

Absolutely. I've gotten to the point where I don't even talk about music with some of my friends; it's almost as bad as religion\politics lol!

Just about every musician\band will say they've been influenced by a previous artist. It's ironic because a LOT of bands that I like, have been influenced by bands that I don't listen to. But that's why I like them, they keep that "rock" energy and tweak it enough to sound original.

I'm just glad that I was able to "branch off" from the main stream early; and started discovering a lot of underground\obscure music that, for me, really opened my eyes (even if I didn't enjoy all of it).

Rock is FAR from dead; you just have to know where to look.

#4231552 - 02/20/16 08:01 PM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: Linebacker]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I feel fortunate that the music I grew up with and still listen to is apparently so good that people come out by the hundreds to hear it played live today, decades later.

The Molly Ringwalds at the LSU Varsity theater in Baton Rouge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lU9Mj11fkk

Look at the younger faces enjoying an '80s Classic Rock cover! These guys will play for a solid two hours of '80s hits, maybe two or three songs I can do without but otherwise hit after hit after hit from this decade.

Imagine in 30 years or so today's music still being honored and remembered in this way!

For an even more extreme example (that I can't wait to see myself)...

Timeless.

#4231583 - 02/20/16 10:07 PM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: Linebacker]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
On a related note...

The above Gn'R song is very nostalgic to me, as is all of "Appetite for Destruction". The Molly Ringwalds cover the three biggest hits off the album regularly ("Welcome to the Jungle", "Paradise City", "Sweet Child o' Mine"), and I enjoy hearing those songs played live for a $15.00 to $20.00 ticket.

Sadly, I'm not sure I would enjoy the "real thing" as much...

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4231622 - 02/20/16 11:59 PM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: MarkG]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted By: MarkG
On a related note...

The above Gn'R song is very nostalgic to me, as is all of "Appetite for Destruction". The Molly Ringwalds cover the three biggest hits off the album regularly ("Welcome to the Jungle", "Paradise City", "Sweet Child o' Mine"), and I enjoy hearing those songs played live for a $15.00 to $20.00 ticket.

Sadly, I'm not sure I would enjoy the "real thing" as much...

Code:
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByIFDpFDpm8[/video]

Gotta agree.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4231661 - 02/21/16 01:49 AM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: Linebacker]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
This 61 year old kid should find himself a good rock band to play in! biggrin ...

#4231686 - 02/21/16 03:03 AM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: Linebacker]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted By: Linebacker
This 61 year old kid should find himself a good rock band to play in! biggrin ...

Code:
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbsYc3UNdZ4[/video]

At least get himself a decent lead singer for the band. Unfortunately David just doesn't have it anymore.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4231697 - 02/21/16 03:27 AM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
In my hypothetical scenario, I say drop David, Wolfgang and even Alex! (incredible drummer)

I think some long running bands just lose their creative edge ... and IMO, rock 'n roll HAS to be edgy!

#4231702 - 02/21/16 03:37 AM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: Linebacker]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
I think thats why I like Jack White so much these days. He still understands rock n roll, hes an AWESOME guitar player and his vocals and lyrics are pretty damn edgy! smile

#4231742 - 02/21/16 07:53 AM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: Linebacker]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
In my hypothetical scenario, I say drop David, Wolfgang and even Alex! (incredible drummer)

I think some long running bands just lose their creative edge ... and IMO, rock 'n roll HAS to be edgy!

Sooo...your dream band would be the Eddie Van Halen "band" doing lead solos all alone all concert long? At least Van Hagar had some rockin' groove...but you want to lose every key player other than Eddie...

screwy

Maybe Eddie could drop everyone, including his awesome brother and drummer, and son who plays bass, and join a new band of has-beens. See: Dead Daisies.

New Rock Band...The Dead Daisies

Members are ex-
GNR
Thin Lizzy
The Cult
Whitesnake
The Rolling Stones
Nine Inch Nails
Divinyls
Motley Crue

Pretty freakin' awesome. smile

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4231770 - 02/21/16 10:35 AM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: Linebacker]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...

Looks like there are some kids coming up to fill the voids left by passing rockers

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4232003 - 02/22/16 01:21 AM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: Alicatt]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Originally Posted By: Alicatt
Looks like there are some kids coming up to fill the voids left by passing rockers

Kids like this are great at copying the greats. Sounded a bit sloppy to me and worst of all ... no soul.

#4232015 - 02/22/16 02:16 AM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: Linebacker]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I give her credit though, she's talented and has good taste! I remember watching on YouTube a 10 year-old Chinese girl on drums covering YYZ, warmed my heart. smile

What we might not ever get back is the overall ambiance(?) of the originals.

++++++++++

Imagine a VH-like band coming out with a video like this one today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M4_Ommfvv0

Firstly, the feminist (and many men now-days) would be complaining for using "anorexic" models in the video (funny how they were so fine ass back in the day).

Secondly, there would be outrage for objectifying women, and in a school setting at that! Oh, the humanity! eek

But at least we have the nostalgia (and this song is on the Ringwalds' play-list, can't wait to hear it and watch the video on-stage)!

#4232041 - 02/22/16 04:38 AM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: Linebacker]  
digger52 Offline
digger52  Offline

ive been pondering this exact issue for some time now.

As I grew up in the late 60s early 70s in Australia seeing bands like Deep Purple, Free, Yes, PinK Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc etc , you could see the development of the "stadium"band.
This continued into the 80,s with Dire straights, the Police etc.

Jump forward to now and I watched Roger Waters "the wall"on bluray last night and a massive crowd, massive stage show but what amazed me was the age of the audience, so many young people singing along to each song.

So who are the stadium bands now as many of the acts from the 70s and 80s have gone. the only one I can think of who is "fresh"is The Muse.

Yet many music categories have been handed over to the new generation
The Blues - Garry Clark junior,Dereck Trucks
Alternate - City and Colour , Steven Wilson ( also could be classified as progressive), Decemberists
Progressive - Beardfish Anaethma, Opeth ( also classifed as Metal), Big Big Train

The most vibrant "rock"if you walk into a store in Australia seems to me Heavy Metal which is totally irrelevant to the grammys.

So I dont believe rock is dead, its just gone underground whilst crap fills our airways and television.

#4232103 - 02/22/16 12:17 PM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: digger52]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: digger52

So I dont believe rock is dead, its just gone underground whilst crap fills our airways and television.

Exactly. What has changed is what is considered to be "mainstream". The type of music put out by bands like Led Zep, Pink Floyd, CCR and The Who back in the 70's was quite "mainstream" but today that same kind of music is underground/indie.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4232312 - 02/22/16 08:42 PM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: digger52

Exactly. What has changed is what is considered to be "mainstream". The type of music put out by bands like Led Zep, Pink Floyd, CCR and The Who back in the 70's was quite "mainstream" but today that same kind of music is underground/indie.

That's too bad because music has to be mainstream if it's still to be enjoyed decades later by the masses. Underground/indie will mostly be forgotten except maybe by the few who find and appreciate it.

Why does it matter? To most it probably doesn't, but there are enough of us around to still pack theaters and auditoriums, arenas even, to hear the soundtrack of our youth being played live, often by cover artists. Along with others who are young but enjoy the music of past eras (influenced by their parents, no doubt).

The band we see about every six weeks covers songs that were very mainstream in the '80s, at least most of them (scroll down, although list is incomplete)...

http://themollyringwalds.com/music

...which reminds me, I need to put in a request for Mar. 4:

"Keep On Loving You" - REO Speedwagon
"Take It On The Run" - REO Speedwagon
"Love Song" - Tesla

Being nostalgic in live music is awesome IMO, the ultimate date night! Also, there's *nothing* that lights a fire under my ass as much in wanting to get back to the size and weight of my late teens (before I *really* started packing on the pounds). In doing so I plan to be taken off of blood pressure meds, hopefully in the next few months (as my wife was taken off cholesterol meds last year).

Maybe I'm wrong and too out of touch with modern music and society, seeing the world through nostalgic filters, but I bet in 30 years we're still going to have popular Pink Floyd and '80s cover bands, while the music scene since will have been mostly forgotten. And if I'm still around in 30 years, my wrinkly old half-deaf ass is going to be there to enjoy it!

#4232368 - 02/23/16 12:44 AM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: Linebacker]  
brownba Offline
brownba  Offline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_r8G5aqZHg

There's still some good stuff out there but it's hard to find because rap and pop music seem to steal all the attention.

#4232553 - 02/23/16 12:17 PM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: MarkG

"Keep On Loving You" - REO Speedwagon
"Take It On The Run" - REO Speedwagon

Great songs! If I was going I'd also request "Hold the Line" and "Africa" by Toto. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4232681 - 02/23/16 07:29 PM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: Linebacker]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Here is a video of my cousin's band doing Van Halen's Ice Cream Man and Hot for Teacher. My cousin is the guitar player. In his late 50''s, had a heart attack, and still rockin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prGF1wA5iQU

#4232705 - 02/23/16 08:49 PM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: LB4LB]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: LB4LB
Here is a video of my cousin's band doing Van Halen's Ice Cream Man and Hot for Teacher. My cousin is the guitar player. In his late 50''s, had a heart attack, and still rockin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prGF1wA5iQU

Dude, your cousin and his band are freaking awesome! thumbsup cheers

I'd love to go see your cousin's band play if they were local. I bet you could sit and listen to this guy play all evening, invite him to dinner but tell him to bring his guitar and amp (or acoustic). smile

++++++++++

Spring of 1984, 11th grade, walking my girlfriend to her car (I rode her uncle's school bus...lol). She starts her car to let it warm up ('70s Malibu Classic coupe, 350, family hand-me-down), tape starts playing the beginning of "Ice Cream Man" from a Rock mix tape I made her. We talk for a bit and then I grab her and plant that first kiss (for both of us)! Scariest birds/bees thing I ever did, but despite how nervous I was feeling the mechanics and chemistry just worked. Everything that followed seemed easy by comparison (over years though wink ).

Unfortunately "Ice Cream Man" came out on VH's debut album in 1978 so we won't be hearing it at an 80's cover show, but there's enough songs they play to satisfy our nostalgic pleasures. "Summer Of '69" was a biggy at the last show, anything off of Bryan Adams' "Reckless" (1984) will make us smile. I doubt they'll ever get as sappy as "Heaven", just have to save that one for when we get home. wink

I wonder what today's generation will remember as the soundtrack to their youth? Special songs, special albums, it *can't* be as cool as VH and other Classic Rock, can it? Music that makes you feel like a kid again.

#4232719 - 02/23/16 09:09 PM Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? [Re: Linebacker]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Growing up he always had his guitar with him. When we were playing street hockey and such, he was inside practicing scales. He has actually made money as a studio artist (played on a Aretha Franklin record and a few Ford commercials). His band is REALLY good. Only thing is they play on the other side of town mostly, and when I get together with him, well the beers tend to taste a lot better. Glug, glug.

Here is their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/drsmithdetroit/

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.