Hop To
#4232202 - 02/22/16 04:26 PM XCOM 2 Ate my Life  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Anyone playing it?

I've basically done nothing but murder aliens since Friday. I never played any of the other XCOM games but I did get into Xenonauts in a similar fashion a while back. The grim atmosphere, unforgiving gameplay and sense of impending doom in Xenonauts captivated me and XCOM 2 is now doing the same. Strategies in the supermarket, force composition on the bus, wondering about what research to conduct on the toilet.

I've been doing what I call "Recon by Rookie" so far, exploring the game on the easiest level and in an attempt to familiarise myself with the mechanics and so that I can have the advantage when I push the difficulty level up. I wouldn't usually resort to this kind of meta-gaming but after losing two campaigns in rapid succession due to inexperience and the soul-crushing cruelty of the random number generator it seemed prudent.

Despite this utter infatuation I do have a few complaints about the game, the UI is very poorly designed. There are quire a few redundancies in the various HQ screens, the ability hotkeys often re-define themselves leaving you activating something you didn't want, selecting a blue or yellow move can be obscure and confusing and quite often the tile you want will twitch out from under your cursor, cancelling an ability selection uses the same mouse button as activating a move so you can strand a unit very easily, aiming grenades is torturous and the way verticality is handled is absolutely terrible.

I've gotta say though, the way the story builds and the pressure that the game puts on you (even on rookie) is addictive. Trying to keep your strategy intact and your thought process running true while the game does its' best to constantly hi-jack your focus is exhilarating. There is also a lot of atmosphere that comes from various snippets of dialogue between NPC's at times that builds your investment in the characters.

Soldier customisation is incredibly well done, the amount of options is vast and becomes a time-sink, it also escalates as your soldier progresses so you keep in touch with them a lot more, checking to see if there are any props that add to the character you have developed for them. Losing a soldier is incredibly punishing on every level. Emotionally you feel the blow, operationally you feel the absence of their abilities. I have a soldier in my XCOM unit now called Edward "Blackbeard" Teach whom I have customised to conform to the popular image of his historical counterpart, only he and one other remain of my original squad and I find myself moving heaven and earth to ensure their survival in missions, even to the point where some of them can become more important than whatever objective I may be pursuing at the time.

Finally, XCOM is a modder's dream. I can't wait to see if something like "Long War" comes out.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4232208 - 02/22/16 04:37 PM Re: XCOM 2 Ate my Life [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Been enjoying it despite the performance issues. Playing on hard without much issue. Aside from having issues picking where I want a soldier to run once in a while I haven't noticed many UI issues; it's better than the first game IMO.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4232325 - 02/22/16 09:42 PM Re: XCOM 2 Ate my Life [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Quoting my post form another thread:

Quote:
WARNING --- possible spoilers!

Wow! I just finished the game on Normal difficulty and I enjoyed it thoroughly! I played the first XCOM as well and loved that both in game-wise and story-wise. I did get XCOM EW but since it seemed so much like XCOM EU initially, it got buried underneath everthing else I needed to do.

Anyway, back to XCOM 2 --- I love the "ambush" mechanic now, so much so that I have two guys that can go back into "stealth mode" and act as my scouts. What gets me is that while the scouts can see the "detection radius" of the bad guys as it relates to them, it doesn't show the "detection radius" of the bad guys as it relates to non-stealth party members. It would've been nicer to have a red "stealth detection radius" and a more opaque-red "non-stealth detection radius." This would make it easier for me to set up ambushes more than just once per mission. Sometimes, I just sneak past some bad guys in order to make better use of my initial ambush and go for bigger targets. I hated how I would scout for enemies in the first XCOM, only for them to have a "free move" once I got them in visual range. While this still happens in XCOM 2 once the squad is revealed, at least I can somewhat mitigate it now with my two scouts and I also have that initial ambush mechanic available.

For those complaining about timed missions, these missions make sense anyway and do not break the game at all. As others have said, these missions are "timed" in the sense that you have X amount of turns to do a certain task. Whether you take 10 minutes to do X turns or take 100 minutes to do X turns doesn't matter... so there is no real-time pressure on you as the player, just a turn counter in the game to add a bit of a challenge and sense of urgency. For some missions, once you have done the task that is timed, you then have all the time in the world to do other non-timed tasks.

I also really enjoyed the hacking and mimic beacons! I would say the game would be so much harder without these items/skills at my disposal! My favorite hack bonus was getting my actions replenished, essentially taking two turns. I also loved hacking the enemy robots... on this play-through, I did not do much with Psionics at all. I may do it again with more focus on Psi so that I can "hack" organic enemies as well. However, because of the mimic beacon, I almost never had to bring a healer with me in missions and even then, she would see minimal use. By the late-game, I was bringing 2-3 mimic beacons with me on missions.

One of the new things in XCOM 2 is that you can carry bodies of fallen/injured/sick comrades about.... never really found much use for this (probably will on higher difficulty levels) aside from 4-5 missions which needed bodies being carried about. However, on such missions, the "loss of firepower" from the guy doing the carrying made for an interesting chage as I had to decide who would do the carrying and then the rest of the squad would try to pick up the slack and "protect the package" at the same time.

I really like the pre-mission intel as well, showing me what enemy types were expected and how many enemies were present. This would help me decide whether to bring my hacker guy or bring my shredder lady.... or whether I'd load up on explosives or if I can play with flamethrowers. The new Faceless and the burrowing function of the Chrysalids also brought in a new unknown in the game which I really enjoyed as it forced me to be a bit more careful and made the "sensor" items and abilities much more useful.

I would say that the game is still slightly buggy, but nothing really show-stopping. I save regularly and under different names and I have experienced 2-3 instances of corrupted save games, but luckily these were the auto-saves rather than my manual saves. During the end mission, the game would not seem to load as well but that was solved by a PC restart. There are clipping issues... but which game doesn't? I've never "seen" an enemy through a wall or anything like that unless the enemy has been detected in the first place, at which point a joint or weapon sticking through doesn't really give me any advantage. Same thing for my guys... the animation would be "off" sometimes, like a character firing into a wall but hits the guy on the other side and the wall just has a "hit decal." Nothing gamebreaking, and I just imagined my shot went right through the wall. On the last mission, there were a few instances of the game lagging; namely my characters would play "hit" or "miss" audio but I wouldn't see the animation or the text pop-up until maybe 10-15 seconds later. This was mostly on the final mission though and by this point, I was so amped up about finishing the story so it wasn't much of a bother. There would be similar instances in earlier missions but the delay/lag wasn't as bad, maybe 1-2 seconds only.

Speaking of shots going through walls, I really, really like how the environment is a little easier to destroy this time. Between my powered armor weapons, grenades, the enemy gatekeepers, sectopods, and all our firepower, the battlefield really looks like a battlefield once my troops are done. There have also been numerous instances wherein my scouts would detect enemies on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the building and I'd chuck a grenade or rocket into the floor below. Depending on the ordnance used, the enemy would take damage but they'd also take damage from the fall itself. Really nice when the grenade is just enough to take the enemy to 1-2HP and then they fall throught the floor and that's what kills them. Sweet!

However, I don't understand why the game takes so long to go from the mission back to the "base." The post-mission "animation" is quite longer compared to the pre-mission bit, and this is with my OS on an SSD and Steam/XCOM 2 on a separate SSD. Still, it's nothing game-breaking and I take it as a chance to try to calm down after an exciting mission.

Gameplay-wise, I find it annoying that I have to do everything myself. Want to establish contact with a sector? I have to fly there and stay in the area. Need to save a town from being wiped out? I have to fly there... okay, makes sense... but then my "establish contact with a sector" job is put on hold!! Basically, I can only do one thing at a time! Fight aliens, establish contact, gather intel, put up a radio beacon, or pick up supplies... I can only do ONE thing. I can understand it if the mobile base is needed when fighting aliens, but surely we can leave a few guys behind to put up a radio beacon while the rest of the "resistance forces" go do some resisting. Then there's the money/credits/supplies aspect. Instead of just giving me the money, it is instead dropped off at a random location on the map and I need 2-5 days to gather it all!! What?!?! There is a war going on and you leave my money at random locations that takes me a few days just to find it? Am I waiting for the cheque to clear or something? Really annoying that I have to interrupt whatever it is I'm doing, go fly to the location, and spend a few days turning over every rock and bush trying to find the money!

The base-building itself didn't take too much thought now and not having the "adjacency bonus" meant there was less planning needed. All I really needed to do was to clear out deeper in my ship to make use of the sections ideal for my power plant, and that was it. The base-building in the first game really took more planning and thinking ahead. Is this a good thing? Maybe. It allowed me to focus more on fighting, but I can see how other people will not like "losing" that aspect of the game. It took me quite a while to figure out how to destroy a facility in order to build a different one and while it was obvious by the time I found it, it could've been clearer on the outset, I guess.

I also found the "made contact" animation really funny. Central just found out where a pocket of resistance is located, he flies there, and exchanges nods with a few people. NODS!! No shaking hands, nobody meeting this unknown aircraft armed and ready in case aliens come pouring out. Central walks out and nods to what I assume are the leaders of those resistance groups. Ha!

Like the first XCOM game, I ended up with 2-3 of each speciality and it was easy enough to train them up to the highest level. When the game ended, I was training up a 3rd or 4th soldier of each specialty but I didn't really need them, most of the time they were there simply to cover for any injured "main soldier." I think I prefer the original X-COM and Xenonauts in the sense that I could field more troopers... which brings me to my next issue. Aside from the cosmetics, all my guys were essentially clones in terms of stats. One of my guys got better at hacking due to getting a bonus on one of his hacks, a few others had better Will stats due to recovering from illness and participating in a successful mission, but basically, everyone started out the same. Recruiting new guys was just about getting more bodies, and aside from maybe 1 or 2 soldiers I got from missions, I never really recruited anyone. I just went with who I had at the start of the game and that was it! In Xenonauts, I could have a recruit that was better than my advanced guys simply because he had better stats... or I'd have to retrain one guy into another "role" because his stats was more suited for that role. Not so in XCOM2, but then again, IIRC this was the same issue in the first game.

Talking about cosmetics, I didn't really care much for the end-game armor and weapons. I preferred the look of the first XCOM and felt more bad-ass with the end-game armor. Each time I saw my guys on really high-tech armor... then noticed their necks were very exposed... ugh!

I would stick my neck out a bit and say that the game might need a little more balance in favor of the aliens. As soon as my initial guys had their first 3 levels of upgrades, they started to own the battlefield. Halfway through, it was more about minimizing injuries than preventing deaths. In fact, I think Chyrsalids only really made it to melee range 3-4 times with my guys over the entire game. As soon as I knew there were Chyrsalids in the area, my squad would go into cautious overwatch mode and the Chrysalids would be mowed down before they'd get to my front line. The Faceless only managed to swing 3x at my guys over the entire game and wouldn't last long once they revealed themselves. About 3/4ths into the game, I would actually wait and ambush the enemy reinforcements and would enjoy watching them getting mowed down as they search for cover. On one mission, I easily took out 4 waves of reinforcements, on other missions I'd do 2 or 3 before wrapping up. Suffice to say I had more "oh sh1t!!" moments in XCOM and Xenonauts than I had in XCOM 2. Maybe it's because I knew more of what to expect? Maybe it's because I know what I'm doing? Or maybe it's because the game needs a little more balance for the aliens? Let's just say I wasn't really scared of Chrysalids, Mutons, or even the Faceless in XCOM 2. What gave me pause was more the Gatekeepers and the Andromedons, but this was simply because they were armored to the max and took quite a bit of firepower to be taken down. Maybe my concerns would be addressed at higher game difficulties, but I played XCOM on Normal so I'm making a Normal XCOM vs. Normal XCOM 2 comparison here.

Story-wise, I quite liked it. At first, I was skeptical about the "you lost the first XCOM war" storyline. Nope. I **WON** the first XCOM war. But then I see why they decided to go this way and it was cool... but I don't really understand the "Commander's" role in all this. I was just the guy who told the soldiers to go here, do this, shoot that, lob a grenade over there. I'm that important to the whole story? The aliens want to kill humankind but are interested in ME? And then I play a very pivotal role in the end of the game.... and it ends rather abruptly! WHAT!!!!1!!11!!! The first XCOM had better closure. This one is strongly hinting at XCOM 3. Now while I can see how "we lost the war" and thus had to research stuff from scratch (ballistics - rails - plasma), it'll be interesting to see how they'll bring in XCOM 3.

Considering what I paid for the game (about £36 for the pre-order plus season pass) and finishing it in 51 hours, that's about £0.71 for an hour of entertainment so I'll say it's well worth the admission price. I wasn't even rushing through the game at all, and was actually surprised I only took 51 hours. When I took on the final mission, the big ADVENT counter was only halfway full but since I already took all sectors and really only had Psionics to do, I thought I might as well see how the story ends. I'm excited to see what the Season Pass gives in terms of content and also what the community/modders bring in. I've heard of the Long War mod for XCOM and I read that those guys are working on XCOM 2 so this should be good. My eldest son has shown a bit of interest in the game as well so I've installed it on the laptop and now that I'm done, I'll let him have a go at it. Not bad at all for the price of admission.

All-in-all, I would say that this was an improvement over the first game and really, the only things I missed from XCOM EU was the armor (easily modded, I would think) and the fighter-UFO-investigate crash site aspect (makes for a few different mission types). It could do to take more ideas from the *original* X-COM or Xenonauts, but still, nothing show-stopping here. I may have another go at the game using the highest difficulty and see how that alters the game, but for now, I've had enough of shooting aliens.

matrix

- Ice
#4232383 - 02/23/16 01:26 AM Re: XCOM 2 Ate my Life [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Solid review Ice, sorry I missed it or I wouldn't have started a new thread.

Ambushes are so much fun. I set up a perfect two pronged ambush on two pods at the same time today, it was very gratifying, cautiously maneuvering into position and then watching 6 Ayylmaos get cut down without even firing a shot. Even better is overwatching an Ayy LZ when they drop in reinforcements.

I miss the interceptor mini-game from Xenonauts, something like that but expanded would have been pretty cool but I guess it would be hard to make it fit with the lore.

#4232467 - 02/23/16 04:53 AM Re: XCOM 2 Ate my Life [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
160 hours since the game launched. Ok not ALL that time I was actually playing... But still. Time eater for me.

#4232526 - 02/23/16 10:57 AM Re: XCOM 2 Ate my Life [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: JimmyBlonde

I miss the interceptor mini-game from Xenonauts, something like that but expanded would have been pretty cool but I guess it would be hard to make it fit with the lore.

I first was aware of XCOM2 when (and only when) I first saw the review of it here in SimHQ.

Somehow I wasn't aware of the release of XCOM2 (until I saw the SimHQ review) and worse even I completely missed the release of XCOM (1) which was released back in 2012, something that puzzled me and "shames me" since I was a big fan of the original XCOM games. Therefore it was due to having learned about the XCOM2 release that I was aware that there was a previous XCOM...
And as such I decided to purchase the "XCOM Enemy Unknown - The Complete Edition" which is XCOM (1) bundled with all the released DLC's and I decided to start with the first XCOM because and like the title says, XCOM2 is the continuation storywise of XCOM (obviously).

I also decided to start with XCOM (1) because it's the one that mostly resembles the original XCOM game ("XCOM:UFO Defence" in America and "UFO:Enemy Unknown" in Europe) and like the original, XCOM (1) also includes the UFO interceptions (that you miss in XCOM2).
As such and since you enjoyed XCOM2, I advise you to acquire and play the "XCOM Enemy Unknown - The Complete Edition" game.

By the way, XCOM2 doesn't have UFO interceptions because of the storyline. Basically in XCOM2 the Aliens defeated Earth's forces and placed a puppet government ruling the earth (and of course serving the Alien's interests). Basically in XCOM (1), the player's organization (XCOM) is a multi-government organization while in XCOM2 the player organization (also XCOM) is an insurgent organization hence why in XCOM (1) you have interceptors and in XCOM2 you don't.

I also didn't know about that Xenonauts game! After reading your post this game certainly got my attention and from what I read so far about it, I will definitely get it! Thanks for informing about the Xenonauts game!

#4233304 - 02/25/16 09:33 AM Re: XCOM 2 Ate my Life [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

What is a "Ayylmaos"??

But yeah, it's very satisfying mid- and late-game when stuff that used to scare you no longer do. Sectopods? I could take them down in two turns. Throw in a mimic beacon and my squad could get away without a scratch.

The game does feel simpler compared to the original/Xenonauts but I guess that's intentional. It (XCOM 2) does what it does pretty well and the experience is fun....

ricnunes, be aware that XCOM 1 comes as Enemy Unknown (EU) and also Enemy Within (EW). I think when you say "Complete Edition," it comes with both.... from what people have said, EW is an add-on to EU and doens't change the story much but adds some missions and abilities. I played through EU but EW didn't grab me very much so didn't play much of that.

There really is no point to play XCOM 1 if you know the story already. Play it to be able to play it, fine, but nothing in XCOM 2 is dependent on XCOM 1.

Anyway, welcome to the club! biggrin

- Ice
#4233352 - 02/25/16 01:18 PM Re: XCOM 2 Ate my Life [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Not an XCOM veteran of the past, some youtube videos by The Mighty Jingles caught my attention, and so I sank ~40-50h into it since the last weekend... wacky
I had mentioned in my first post in the other thread some perfomance issues in cutscenes and while "navigating" the chambers inside the Avenger - I fixed those by changing some GFX settings, esp. the SSAO. Now performance is not perfect, but not the slideshow it had been occasionally.

I reached now mid- to end game in my first play-through, with a significant amount of reloads I must admit... Many high-ranking and well equipped soldiers, Avenger fully "developed", all sectors have been contacted, few Avatar buildings left, few research subjects remaining. But just after the last battle yesterday, Advent decided to complete two of its "developments", one putting disguised Faceless and another Chryssalids into every mission in the next month - as if the missions had not been sprawling with Archons, Gatekeepers, Andromedos and other high-ranking enemies already...

With respect to UFOs, there was one patrolling around which eventually managed to bring down the Avenger, but my only activity was to defend it on the ground until it got fixed. Similarly, there once was an enemy UFO grounded which we had to attack. But that was just like attacking any other building/installation...

#4233380 - 02/25/16 02:25 PM Re: XCOM 2 Ate my Life [Re: - Ice]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: - Ice

ricnunes, be aware that XCOM 1 comes as Enemy Unknown (EU) and also Enemy Within (EW). I think when you say "Complete Edition," it comes with both.... from what people have said, EW is an add-on to EU and doens't change the story much but adds some missions and abilities. I played through EU but EW didn't grab me very much so didn't play much of that.

Yes, the XCOM1 "Complete Edition" comes with both Enemy Unknown (EU) and Enemy Within (EW). When you launch (open) the game (XCOM1 "Complete Edition") normally thru the desktop icon (or related file) it will first open a small window with following two options only:
- Enemy Unknown
- Enemy Within

And of course it's up to the player to choose which version of the game the player want to choose/play. That's why I recommend the "Complete Edition" for anyone that wishes to play XCOM1 - This "Complete Edition" can give the player both the "vanilla" XCOM1 experience or the XCOM1 plus all the DLCs released for it or resuming all possible experiences with the game.

Personally if you are someone addicted to the game (as I am) and as such you already know that you will play and finish this game more than once, I recommend playing the Enemy Unknown version first and later the Enemy Within version. Doing this will ensure that the first two different games of XCOM1 you start will be even more different/randomized than playing twice the exact same version. Not to mention that Enemy Within has lots of new and different stuff which makes the gameplay somehow different from Enemy Unknown.

There really is no point to play XCOM 1 if you know the story already. Play it to be able to play it, fine, but nothing in XCOM 2 is dependent on XCOM 1.

Anyway, welcome to the club! biggrin

I still haven't buy and played XCOM2 yet but from what I've been reading if you like the game "formula" that made the 1990's "XCOM:UFO Defence/UFO:Enemy Unknown" which XCOM1 replicates (albeit a bit simplified in many features) of:

- Starting with the typical terrestrial/Earth technology of conventional Assault Rifles, Machine Guns, Shotguns, Body Armour, Fighter/Interceptor aircraft, facing a much more advanced Alien race by intercepting (or try to) their UFO's and as such try to recover as much technology from the downed UFO's as possible in order to research, develop and manufacture more advanced technologies in order to level out the fighting odds with the aliens and in the meanwhile fight off enemy terror and abduction sites and occupy enemy bases,

then the XCOM1 seems to the logical first choice. For example from what I read XCOM2 due to it's storyline seems to have a little bit different gameplay mechanics like for example no UFO interceptions and most missions (if not all) having a turn limit (which doesn't happen in XCOM1).
Resuming I just happen to enjoy the XCOM1 story more than the one of XCOM2.
And while I agree with you that you certainly don't need to play XCOM1 before playing XCOM2 since like you correctly say "nothing in XCOM 2 is dependent on XCOM 1" I still feel that playing XCOM1 first makes sense on a storyline perspective only (and definitely not in a gameplay perspective).

#4233440 - 02/25/16 03:56 PM Re: XCOM 2 Ate my Life [Re: ricnunes]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Originally Posted By: ricnunes
...and most missions (if not all) having a turn limit (which doesn't happen in XCOM1).

If I had to "guesstimate", I would say ~40% of the missions have a hard time limit. On top of that there are mission types that have no actual limit, but you are required to quickly engage the enemy to prevent them doing harm.
Then there is also the "strategic level", where the enemy runs a project that you have to do certain missions to stall its progress - failing to do so will insta-lose your campaign upon its completion.

Mildly funny sidenote - I was occasionally confused as I heard/read about 5 classes, but I only have 4; thought it was related to some mod/DLC. Well, until I just learned that a certain research that I completely ignored unlocks another branch; I guess this late in game I can just keep ignoring it...

Last edited by WhoCares; 02/25/16 04:04 PM.
#4233509 - 02/25/16 06:34 PM Re: XCOM 2 Ate my Life [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I loved EU/EW and dropped more than 300 hours on the two. But I disliked the missions where you had to fight through the big alien ships like the supply ships or Overseer/Temple ship IIRC what they were called. Are there equivalents of these mission types in the new game?

I will also add that it's confusing following other people posts since we seem to be calling what was XCOM 2 XCOM 1, when XCOM 1 was 20 years ago. I know it's the publisher's fault not the posters'. But this new game should really be XCOM 3, shouldn't it? I'd be somewhat less confused if it were!

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4233546 - 02/25/16 07:44 PM Re: XCOM 2 Ate my Life [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

X-COM is the old one.

XCOM or XCOM 1 is the one released a few years ago. Note the lack of hyphen.
XCOM 2 is the new one biggrin

Like I said, there seems to be a bit of sense with regards to missions with timers. They do not detract from the mission at all.
Click to reveal..
Clear the area before they slaughter all civilians. Destroy the beacon before it brings in too many reinforcements. Destroy the transmitter before it can transmit all the data. Protect the transmitter until it can transmit all the data.

I finished the game with everything researched but did not invest much into Psionics. I did reload a lot of times but only initially. Mid- to late-game, I would only save on mission start and finish the mission. Occasionally, I would save and try out something new, like one of the new heavy weapons, just to figure out how they work. I was only "shot down" once and also only investigated one downed UFO.

One thing I felt with XCOM 2 was that I didn't spend too much time with magnetic/rail weapons. I seemed to be able to build plasma stuff quite quickly.

DBond, there was only the big complex at the end... there weren't too many big complexes like the final ship in XCOM 1, but there are cities and jungles and buildings that you have to fight through which I think is similar in concept, just different in visuals. As mentioned, there was only one downed UFO... then the big complex at the end. Sometimes you'll have to attack a smaller ADVENT complex but cramped spaces can easily be "widened" by good grenade placement biggrin

Which brings me to the subject of grenades.... I don't remember ever using these so often in XCOM 1 but in XCOM 2, I used the heavy weapons, grenades, mimic beacons, and other "supplementaries" quite a lot!

- Ice
#4233572 - 02/25/16 08:38 PM Re: XCOM 2 Ate my Life [Re: DBond]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: DBond
I loved EU/EW and dropped more than 300 hours on the two. But I disliked the missions where you had to fight through the big alien ships like the supply ships or Overseer/Temple ship IIRC what they were called. Are there equivalents of these mission types in the new game?

Weird, I didn't find the alien ships that big (at least 95% of them) specially if we compare the game which I call XCOM1 (the game that was released in 2012) with the 1990's original game which is was called UFO: Enemy Unknown in Europe or XCOM:UFO Defence in America. For example in the original 1990's game a "Battleship" UFO was likely 4 times bigger or more than the "Battleship" UFO in XCOM1 (the 2012 game).

What I also find strange is that you found the Overseer UFO to be "big". In the game that I played (Medium difficulty) the "Overseer" UFO had exactly the same structure and size as a "Medium Scout" UFO with the difference that the former was apparently better armed and certainly more resistant than the later. Resuming the Overseer UFO was harder to intercept than the other ships of the same size/class ("Medium Scout" UFO).

In XCOM1 (2012) there was also the already mentioned "Battleship" UFO which as expected (look at the name) is big however it wasn't nearly as big as the same ship in the 1990's original XCOM game. And by the way, only one (1) "Battleship" UFO appeared to me in my game (I don't know that if played on higher difficulty levels if more "Battleship" UFO will appear?).

Finally the Temple Ship (in XCOM1 of 2012):
Yes this ship is quite big but you have to be aware that the Temple Ship is the Aliens MAIN and FINAL BASE and as such when you defeat the Aliens in the Temple Ship you win the game, that's it!
So it's more than expected that the Temple Ship (last ship/base) would be big.

Originally Posted By: DBond

I will also add that it's confusing following other people posts since we seem to be calling what was XCOM 2 XCOM 1, when XCOM 1 was 20 years ago. I know it's the publisher's fault not the posters'. But this new game should really be XCOM 3, shouldn't it? I'd be somewhat less confused if it were!

Nope!
Using your "theory" what we call XCOM1 should then be called XCOM4 (and XCOM2 should be XCOM5) and here's why:
The complete list of XCOM games released so far is:

1- UFO:Enemy Unknown in Europe or XCOM:UFO Defense in North America, released in 1994 and developed by Microprose
2- XCOM:Terror from the Deep, the direct sequel of the previous game released in 1995 and also developed by Microprose.
3- XCOM:Apocalypse, direct sequel of "Terror from the Deep" developed for Microprose (by a company named Mythos Games) and was released in 1997. In this game the player had the possibility of playing the battles either with the traditional "turn-based" gameplay or alternatively the battles could be played in "real time".

4- The game we call here XCOM1. The real name of this game is XCOM:Enemy Unknown and this game is essentially a remake (actually more a Reboot) of the game mentioned in 1- (UFO:Enemy Unknown / XCOM:UFO Defense). This game was released in 2012 and was developed by Firaxis Games.
XCOM:Enemy Within is the same game as XCOM:Enemy Unknown but includes all the DLC released for it (XCOM:Enemy Unknown).
5- XCOM2. The sequel of XCOM:Enemy Unknown/XCOM:Enemy Within (the game we call XCOM1) which as we all know was released during this month/year and was developed by Firaxis Games.

So as you can see there are actually two (2) distinct series of XCOM games. The first series released by Microprose in the 1990's (the games mentioned in 1-, 2- and 3-) and the second and modern series that are basically a reimagined/rebooted version of the original series (games mentioned in 4- and 5-) and developed by a different company (Firaxis Games).

#4233585 - 02/25/16 08:57 PM Re: XCOM 2 Ate my Life [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hmm, an alien ship grog, eh? OK well I meant the biggest ships in the game, some were supply ships or sumfink. I must have been mistaken about the Overseer ship, fair enough. But some missions you had to slog through big space ships and it was a chore moving my little space marines through them. And I accept there are some people who didn't find this a chore.

And Ice's explanation of the hyphen completely removes my confusion. Good one.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4233644 - 02/25/16 11:58 PM Re: XCOM 2 Ate my Life [Re: - Ice]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

What is a "Ayylmaos"??

It's a meme

#4233743 - 02/26/16 12:07 PM Re: XCOM 2 Ate my Life [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Never seen that meme... smile

Scratch my comments above about the ship sizes... I thought DBond's reference to Overseer ship meant the final ship in XCOM1...

- Ice

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.