#4230856 - 02/19/16 12:24 AM Encryption question  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
A question to the tech savvy guys here.
I was wondering about encryption and smart phones.

Is all the information on I-Pads encrypted, or do you have to add an app or some other function to encrypt your info, Email, text, or tweets? Or is it 'all' just automatically encrypted, with an I-pad, and what about a Blackberry?
Can that info, Email, text...etc be encrypted if you pay for it, or add an app, how is that done?

I do believe you have to 'manually' encrypt your Email, and add purchased internet protection for info, with a PC.
And I'm not sure it's even close to being actually 'protected', like an encrypted I-Pad.

Just curious about the smart phones.

"Murphy's Law"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4230861 - 02/19/16 12:44 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
My understanding is that data stored on an iOS device is automatically encrypted when you set up a passcode, so anything stored on it - photos, email, text messages, etc. - are encrypted. However, if you send an email or text message to someone, that outgoing message is not encrypted, so it could be read by anyone on the receiving end. To send encrypted email, you would need to acquire an additional program, or use a web-based service.

For PCs, Windows has BitLocker ( more info here ) that can encrypt the Windows system volume. Other third party encryption tools are available as well. Like iOS, this only affects data stored on the PC, so outgoing emails, etc., would need some sort of encrypting program, such as PGP. For encrypting email, it gets complicated because it requires the recipients take action to be able to un-encrypt it.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4230862 - 02/19/16 12:45 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
No clue about Apple devices, but Blackberry encrypts all under BBM app.

PM me with specific question for Blackberry and I can get an answer..I used to work with them.

#4230864 - 02/19/16 12:51 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Naw Piper....I'm not thinking of, or even considering 'encryption', I'm just curious about it since it has come up with Apple, and seems to be a big deal now.

I could care less who reads my PC, I have nothing 'sensitive' on it, and I don't have a smart phone at all....lol.

Just want to be 'informed' a little more than I am right now.

Thanks Arthonon, very interesting. smile

"Murphy's Law"
#4230876 - 02/19/16 01:22 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
oselisan
Unregistered

I'm not an expert on encryption. This is all I know.

Generally, whatever you're using whether a PC, OSX, or Linux if you're on "https:" you're using ssl through port 443 and it is encrypted in a standard sense. Being encrypted doesn't mean secure though IIRC Comodo security certificates had an issue.

For emails, this is all I have to say, I have a provider with the option to use pgp to encrypt my messages. Of course, I must remember not to encrypt when sending messages to recipients who can't decrypt them (had friends complain about receiving unreadable messages from me). The said provider also gave an option to store the key off their servers so that they themselves cannot decrypt it.

For phone calls, there are apps that can encrypt your call like Redphone (there was a time I used this).

Last edited by oselisan; 02/19/16 01:29 AM. Reason: redacted.
#4230881 - 02/19/16 01:35 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  
Mudcat Offline
Serial Thread Killer
Mudcat  Offline
Serial Thread Killer

Wilton, NC
I just finished reading about this :P

Quote:
"For all devices running iOS 8 and later versions, Apple will not perform iOS data extractions in response to government search warrants because the files to be extracted are protected by an encryption key that is tied to the user’s passcode, which Apple does not possess," Apple said on its privacy website.

that's just a bit of the article, but i guess they use to have a backdoor built into the iOS but don't anymore, or so they say. But yes, sounds like there is some auto encryption

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/apple-u...ocid=spartandhp

#4230887 - 02/19/16 01:43 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
oselisan
Unregistered

I just remembered this but am too lazy to search for it or verify it.

IIRC Apple had an issue with the U.S. NSA or whatever security institution because they wittingly distributed an OS (macs and iphones) with an encryption that even the NSA may have a hard time decrypting. I think I read something about this years ago.

#4230888 - 02/19/16 01:46 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Interesting that you don't have to do a thing....it's just automatically encrypted.
Unreadable by anyone, hackers, or even government officials 'with a search warrant' signed by a Federal Judge.
Even when the owner of the phone 'is'....the government.

I wouldn't have thought that was possible!

Very interesting.
I think this is going to be a very complex subject.
Wonder how it will all turn out. wink

"Murphy's Law"
#4230890 - 02/19/16 01:49 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: ]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted By: oselisan
I just remembered this but am too lazy to search for it or verify it.

IIRC Apple had an issue with the U.S. NSA or whatever security institution because they wittingly distributed an OS (macs and iphones) with an encryption that even the NSA may have a hard time decrypting. I think I read something about this years ago.

Yes, for some reason this is coming to my mind also... I was/am under the impression that laws are in place to require backdoor access for commercial encryption products. Could be wrong.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4230898 - 02/19/16 02:10 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
No, Apple uses AES encryption (like everyone else). This encryption scheme uses a variant of either 128, or 256 bits.
That gives the encryption key a possibility of 2^128, or 2^256 different combinations.

A supercomputer (or good gamer laptop) can brute force walking through every possible combination in a given period of time.
What Apple does is if the a "hacker" attempts to crack the security key it wipes the phone after a given number of attempts.
The Government wants Apple to disable that feature while they brute force the phone confiscated from that creep.

#4230903 - 02/19/16 02:21 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
oselisan
Unregistered

So that's the issue. Thanks for bringing that up and saving me a search. The limited attempts did cross my mind.

Wait, isn't that feature on the phone itself? Can't they just take out the SD or sim and crack that without the phone in the way threatening to delete it?

#4230909 - 02/19/16 02:42 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: ]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
Originally Posted By: oselisan

Wait, isn't that feature on the phone itself? Can't they just take out the SD or sim and crack that without the phone in the way threatening to delete it?

No, we're not gsm-like over here where you switch cell phone providers (countries) by simply replacing sim card. At least not an iPhone.

#4230915 - 02/19/16 03:03 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: piper]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: piper

......[edit]....."The Government wants Apple to disable that feature while they brute force the phone confiscated from that creep."

Yep, that's the issue. I didn't want to bring it up here, I just wanted to know the facts, and the mechanics of it.

It is interesting, from a legal standpoint.
I really don't see the problem with just opening up his phone, and returning it, without any info on how to do it.
But I suppose there are other factors to consider.

I hope we don't get into a political 'argument' here, I hope we stick to the mechanics of it. wink

"Murphy's Law"
#4230921 - 02/19/16 03:15 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
it's a major ethical issue. it opens up the door to unconstitutional search and seizure problems, this IMO is one of the biggest threats to privacy we have seen in modern times. this is a huge issue happening right now. if the gov't gets what it wants this time, there will be no end to the privacy invasion.

that is why apple is resisting it so much.

#4230930 - 02/19/16 03:33 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
I think they can already read anything they want and this is just a bit of subterfuge to make the abusers over confident. that's just how I roll...

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#4230936 - 02/19/16 03:45 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
believe me, it's not like that. the encryption is very, VERY difficult to break. there are no simple hacker tricks around it.

the current encryption standard is mathematically unbreakable for all practical purposes. it will be breakable at some point in the future when technology gets faster but with current computational power, even with linked computing, it's just not realistic.

#4230938 - 02/19/16 03:49 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
oselisan
Unregistered

I wasn't following the Apple vs FBI issue so I briefly went through some reports on it. From an article in Marketwatch

Quote:
The court says “Apple’s reasonable technical assistance” should accomplish three things: Get rid of the self-destruct after 10 tries feature, make it such that the codes can be entered electronically by connecting the phone to another device (so the FBI doesn’t have to hand-enter each passcode) and get rid of any potential delays between password guesses.

Originally Posted By: Murphy

I really don't see the problem with just opening up his phone, and returning it, without any info on how to do it.

I think Apple doesn't have the capability to get into the phone and the issue is Apple creating something that can do it.

Quote:
Cook doesn’t think that’s reasonable.

“In the wrong hands, this software — which does not exist today — would have the potential to unlock any iPhone in someone’s physical possession,” he wrote. “And while the government may argue that its use would be limited to this case, there is no way to guarantee such control.”

#4230942 - 02/19/16 03:53 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
I agree, I don't think they can break it. Not even Apple.

But I do believe since they made the encryption, they (Apple) stand the best chance of breaking it.

So....here we are. smile

What's right, and what's wrong?
After all, these are terrorists, and they know fellow terrorists in this country, and they will kill other innocent people, maybe hundreds.
Makes it a very difficult problem wink

What's right, what's an invasion of our freedom and privacy?

Or is it all just so Apple can sell more smart phones, to every terrorist and pedophile in the world?

Yeah, what is it?
Tough question.....IMHO.

"Murphy's Law"
#4230952 - 02/19/16 04:29 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
oselisan
Unregistered

Very tough questions that even I myself will refrain from discussing them. Apologies if I helped steer it that way.

Anyway to try to get back to the technicalities. This is my opinion since I'm not a certified expert on the matter.

1. The first stumbling block is the threat of deletion after a number of tries.
2. I believe that they're focusing on the password because it uses the embedded key file to unlock the data.
3. I think the reason they want to do this is because if they take the raw data without the key file it will take them trillions or billions of years to decrypt it even with a super computer.

#4230955 - 02/19/16 04:44 AM Re: Encryption question [Re: Murphy]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I don't believe for a second that it can't be done, and probably has. They just want it to become commonplace and part of an investigation and not covered up.
Apple is afraid that "if they develop the software to do this" that it will get leaked and people will have it.

I say, if you're so proud of your encryption and this super powerful software, then store it on one of your damned phones "no one can crack" and run it from there. Apparently they believe no one can crack the encryption without their help, so clearly it should be safe on just a phone, right? LOL Too bad they don't trust their programmers to not leak it or keep it secure.

Consider this: android phones are linux, which is open source. People can play with it if they want to. Why should iphones be given security other phones aren't? Indeed, more privacy than your own HOME that they can get a simple search warrant for. Too much importance is placed on these phones. If a terrorist is dumb enough to use it and get caught with it, pull the info.

Sorry, not trying to go PWEC, just pointing out it's getting overblown. I think it's more a marketing ploy to sell iphones because people will now believe they're uber-secure or something. And then will forget to put a passcode on it. LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.