Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4227310 - 02/10/16 02:31 AM Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences?  
iLee Offline
SimHQ Writer
iLee  Offline
SimHQ Writer

http://www.simhq.com/daily-news/elite-dangerous-mending-fences.html
Did Frontier's response to the pricing issue redeemed your confidence in the developer?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4227429 - 02/10/16 02:03 PM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: iLee]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I never thought there was a pricing issue to begin with.

As for "confidence in the developer," that is solid enough with the game they've put out thus far. Sure, there's a few bugs, there's a lot of things that could use polish, but IMHO it's much, much better than a few other games out there that are asking for more money. Simply put, my "confidence in the developer" has more to do with the work they put out rather than some confusion regarding terms and pricing schemes.

- Ice
#4227457 - 02/10/16 03:06 PM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: iLee]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I could argue that I paid for the game twice.If Horizons had been offered as DLC there wouldn't be so much anger.That didn't stop me however from buying a second account in a Steam sale to try a different career path without giving up my original progress.

It could be worse,I could have bought SC.

Last edited by Chucky; 02/10/16 03:14 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4227468 - 02/10/16 03:19 PM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: iLee]  
Cast_Iron_Nephilim Offline
Cast_Iron_Nephilim  Offline

"2.4 is already being labeled as the game’s “final expansion.” Whether or not that holds true by the time we get there, or what the phrase “final expansion,” actually implies, is another matter entirely. However, at this point, it seems that 2017 will mark the end of content for ED."

2.4 – ????
A secret to be revealed in Elite Dangerous: Horizons’ final expansion!

Doesn't that imply that it's the end of the dlc "season" and not the game?

#4227486 - 02/10/16 04:06 PM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: iLee]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Happy Birthday komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I'm sorry but that sentence is a gross misunderstanding and a VERY dangerous (pun!) thing to put out.

1st- it is not true. Development goes on. Initial plan was a ten (10) years cycle and has been confirmed that following expansions will come.

2nd- it's kind of obvious to whoever have followed Frontier forums long enough, that the phrasing final expansion simply means the last release of HORIZON, not of the Elite Dangerous franchise.

3rd- while content (or even the name) of the next follow up "season" of development has not been confirmed- there are a number of areas that still have to be finalized according to Frontier itself. Further planet type to be landed on, fuel scooping from Gas giants, and moreover walking around ships/stations (not to forget about the planets too)

I'd strongly suggest Lee T to change the text to display how that it's only HIS interpretation and not a Frontier statements.

I'm at work so I can't immediately back up my points with direct quotes from Frontier forums- just gimme time and trust me.

This is NOT the end of the development cycle of Elite, but just the Horizon expansion.
Chill and cheers! smile

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4227617 - 02/10/16 07:38 PM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: iLee]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Quoting myself from another thread here:
Quote:
Horizons is also on sale for £19.99 --- and they seem to have renamed it "season pass" which is more in line with the easily-understood terms used today. From what I can tell, you can buy Elite on sale at £10, then the "season pass" called "Horizons" for £19.99, or you can buy the bundle at £39.99. Makes more sense now.

However, doesn't a "season pass" mean you get EVERYTHING for a game? AFAIK, games like The Witcher 3 only have one "season." I guess ED will have a few "seasons," if that makes any sense. biggrin

So no, Horizons isn't the end of Elite, it's just the first of many "season pass" or "DLCs". Will future expansions be priced the same? I hope not, and I will or will not buy these based on whether or not I think the content is worth the asking price.

- Ice
#4227779 - 02/11/16 06:57 AM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: komemiute]  
iLee Offline
SimHQ Writer
iLee  Offline
SimHQ Writer

Originally Posted By: komemiute
I'm sorry but that sentence is a gross misunderstanding and a VERY dangerous (pun!) thing to put out.

1st- it is not true. Development goes on. Initial plan was a ten (10) years cycle and has been confirmed that following expansions will come.

2nd- it's kind of obvious to whoever have followed Frontier forums long enough, that the phrasing final expansion simply means the last release of HORIZON, not of the Elite Dangerous franchise.

3rd- while content (or even the name) of the next follow up "season" of development has not been confirmed- there are a number of areas that still have to be finalized according to Frontier itself. Further planet type to be landed on, fuel scooping from Gas giants, and moreover walking around ships/stations (not to forget about the planets too)

I'd strongly suggest Lee T to change the text to display how that it's only HIS interpretation and not a Frontier statements.

I'm at work so I can't immediately back up my points with direct quotes from Frontier forums- just gimme time and trust me.

This is NOT the end of the development cycle of Elite, but just the Horizon expansion.
Chill and cheers! smile

You're absolutely correct! I -completely- read that information about 2.4 wrong. I'm glad I was wrong! I was a little bummed that they we're already calling it quits. Thankfully I just had a dumb moment.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm updating the post, right now.

#4227800 - 02/11/16 09:21 AM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: iLee]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Happy Birthday komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

biggrin No probs mate.
I can see how one could read it like that so, obviously, no hard feelings! thumbsup

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4228233 - 02/12/16 04:46 AM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: iLee]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Yeah Horizon's price was insulting for me since I already paid $75 for Elite during closed beta to help support them, to add $40 on top for the first expansion is a rip off especially since new buyers to Elite paid the same price, and most of the Horizon content isn't even available to play or test it to see if it's worth that much money, so they just expect us to trust them again when they already proved that our trust is misplaced.

The change of Horizons from full game to season pass just looks like an easy way for them to wipe out the tons of negative Steam reviews from people who were unhappy with the price of Horizon and made their feelings known via reviews.

I'll wait until there's Horizon content available that is worth the asking price for the season pass, by that time the price will probably fall anyhow to something more reasonable.

This doesn't take away from those of you who enjoy Horizon and think it's worth it to you, I can understand and wish I was in the same boat.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4228271 - 02/12/16 08:17 AM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: iLee]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Kludger, did you not get the season pass for £35? Just checked my order and I bought in 2014 and got the game for £50 and the lifetime expansion pass for £35.

#4228504 - 02/12/16 07:48 PM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: Tigerwulf]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: Tigerwulf
Kludger, did you not get the season pass for £35? Just checked my order and I bought in 2014 and got the game for £50 and the lifetime expansion pass for £35.

Thanks Tigerwulf, I checked my order from 9/1/2014 and for $75 it says Elite Dangerous Beta SKU FORC-FDEV-D-1002, and no Horizon on my downloadable products, maybe you ordered earlier in 2014 and the package was different at that time?

#4228697 - 02/13/16 09:00 AM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: iLee]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
I ordered 24th July 2014. That sucks that you didn't get the expansion pass John frown maybe they'll be on a Steam sale or something.

#4228902 - 02/13/16 11:28 PM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: iLee]  
TheBlackPenguin Offline
TheBlackPenguin  Offline

By the way the game was not in development since 2009, where did you get that information from? David Braben seems to get a bit annoyed when people keep incorrectly stating how much longer it was in development for vs SC lol.

Elite was a 'skunk works' project with no more than one or two people working on it once in awhile, no full time development began until they were making headway through their Kickstarter campaign, indeed their Kickstarter page did not show anything of Elite Dangerous beyond ideas, artwork and history as they literally had nothing to show.

Frontier have a ten year plan for Elite, so far what we know:

Further planetary types to land upon.
Walking around, first person, inside and outside the ship.
Big Game hunting. David Braben has mentioned this more than once.

Not a bad article though, people were confused over the previous structure smile.

#4228953 - 02/14/16 04:04 AM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: Tigerwulf]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: Tigerwulf
I ordered 24th July 2014. That sucks that you didn't get the expansion pass John frown maybe they'll be on a Steam sale or something.

Ah yeah I mustve just missed it, yeah I'm waiting until it goes on Steam sale, I'm sure it will just like E:D did.

#4229002 - 02/14/16 10:12 AM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: iLee]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I'm kicking myself for not buying the lifetime pass... although it was £120 IIRC, I have high hopes for Elite.

AFAIK, Horizons won't be on sale until later in the year, maybe when it's close to completion or past that.

- Ice
#4229021 - 02/14/16 12:18 PM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: - Ice]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Originally Posted By: - Ice
I'm kicking myself for not buying the lifetime pass... although it was £120 IIRC, I have high hopes for Elite.

AFAIK, Horizons won't be on sale until later in the year, maybe when it's close to completion or past that.

The lifetime pass was £35 when I bought it.

#4229024 - 02/14/16 12:23 PM Re: Elite Dangerous – Mending Fences? [Re: Tigerwulf]  
tempusmurphy Offline
tempusmurphy  Offline

outside London
they did put the lifetime pass up the last time it was available ... I took the gamble when it was in beta and bought the premium beta thing £100 but that grants all future expansions like the lifetime pass biggrin

Dont think of it as being vastly outnumbered ... but just having a large target selection.

The only thing more accurate than incoming fire, is incoming friendly fire

Tracers work BOTH ways...

" I have a cunning plan my lord "

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.