Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4225374 - 02/04/16 06:17 PM Is WOFF winding down to an end?  
Akmatov Offline
Akmatov  Offline

Tucson, AZ
Just read this elsewhere in SimHQ: "Hmmm, read on what OBD wrote down on the WoFF-X or WoFFgold version, after that no WW1 projects any more!!! In 2016 OBD will publish the last version"

Hoping this is not true.

#4225379 - 02/04/16 06:28 PM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Akmatov]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Well they have been doing this in some form for a fair few years now and as we all know nothing lasts for ever. Aslong as WOFF X manages to do a fair bit of what we all want I'll be happy.

#4225381 - 02/04/16 06:31 PM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Akmatov]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

It seems to me, that OBD want to create a revised and upgraded final version of WOFF.
They also said, that there might be further add-ons.
So, why should this be "the end of WOFF"?

Some debate it, some mod it, some wonder about the future - I just fly it.
I guess I will still fly it for years to come.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4225383 - 02/04/16 06:34 PM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Akmatov]  
Akmatov Offline
Akmatov  Offline

Tucson, AZ
as long as the community is active, OK. Just that like everyone else there are a few aircraft I'd love to see, but I guess that phase may be ending just as I come on board. frown

#4225388 - 02/04/16 06:46 PM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Akmatov]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Not necessarily, Akmatov - as I said: there may be add-ons; and those could be new aircraft.
You are late, but not too late to enjoy WOFF for years to come.
And the community, I hope, will carry on!

#4225410 - 02/04/16 07:08 PM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Akmatov]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Akmatov
as long as the community is active, OK. Just that like everyone else there are a few aircraft I'd love to see, but I guess that phase may be ending just as I come on board. frown

I agree with Olham. I think WOFF X will probably be the final baseline but there might be add-ons in the future after that. That said, you could fly the current version of WOFF for years and still be finding little gems that you never expected. So I'm sure WOFF X will probably keep me occupied for at least a decade. Maybe by then there will be a resurgence of devs hoping to create new WWI flight sims. That said, they are going to have a mighty high bar to reach if they plan on making an historically accurate single player campaign that beats WOFF. It might have newer, shiny DirectX 15 graphics, but I doubt it will have more depth and breadth.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4225487 - 02/04/16 09:52 PM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Akmatov]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
The sky is falling!

What Hellshade said. Let's say they released WOFF X or whatever tomorrow. You'll enjoy it for YEARS. It's like getting a puppy and then crying as soon as you get it home because it's going to die in a decade. Enjoy it while it's alive!

In any event, everything ends eventually. Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. Plus, we'll get to enjoy OBDs shiny new "non-WW1 project" for umpteen years after WOFF X.

Always these doom-and-gloom speculations about the simming future. We should have a positive one! Who's to say OBD won't go back to WW1 after their non-WW1 project? I think the future looks bright.

biggrin

#4225503 - 02/04/16 10:41 PM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Akmatov]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
salute OBD

I don't think they mention starting a new project but rather we read into "last WW1 project" as a nod to moving on.It could also be that they are wanting to retire from development.Whatever happens it is sad to see an end to WOFF. reading

#4225523 - 02/04/16 11:43 PM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: JFM]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: JFM
Always these doom-and-gloom speculations about the simming future. We should have a positive one!
Who's to say OBD won't go back to WW1 after their non-WW1 project? I think the future looks bright.

thumbsup

#4225566 - 02/05/16 03:23 AM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Akmatov]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
I do interpert their statements to mean we may be entering post-development this year. I have no inside information of course, and I hope we still see lots more to come, but that was my reading. Let's be honest: This game is based on CFS 3, which is itself now a very old game, and there's just so much you can do. It's amazing they've come THIS far given the technology of the base engine.

That said, I don't consider "post-development" and "winding down" to be the same thing. Winding down suggests to me a slow, lingering death and this community seems quite active for me. Active, and loyal - I believe some of the gentlemen here have been following OFF/WOFF from inception.

Let's take JFM's scenario: WOFF X comes out tomorrow, and other than maybe a very occasional add-on OBD has nothing more to say on the subject. We still have plenty of aircraft and scenarios to keep us busy for years. WOFF is Windows 10 compatible, so that's not going away any time soon. There is an active and quite talented mod community adding everything from sounds and extra missions to new airfields.

I'd say WOFF will last at least until the next great WW I SP sim comes along. Rise of Flight has its merits, but single player isn't really one of them. Red Baron was a champion in its day, but its just too old now. There's no one else I've tried in the last few years which lasted on my HD more than a day.

Nah, Akmatov: As Olham said, you're a little late to the party, but it's more of a 'fashionably late' versus 'where did everyone go?' This isn't over. We're just getting this party started.

Last edited by CatKnight; 02/05/16 03:27 AM.
#4225608 - 02/05/16 09:47 AM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Akmatov]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
I'll play WoFF for years to come, no doubt about it... just as I still play the old IL2. They will sit on my HD forever I guess smile

#4225612 - 02/05/16 10:26 AM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Akmatov]  
Andy73 Offline
Andy73  Offline

Germany
I'll also play WOFF for many years to come. I also play IL 2 1946 and OFF Phase 3, even if it's not supported anymore. They are good Sims, and it's simply Fun to play!!!

#4225613 - 02/05/16 10:50 AM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Akmatov]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
Its less that your late but rather that you have arrived when the sim is complete.Think being lucky to buy a sim after its been honed for a decade.Just visit DCS forums to read constant bickering about unfinished planes etc.;)

#4225617 - 02/05/16 11:33 AM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Akmatov]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

I too echo the positive comments being made here on the subject of WOFF and its future. Even if development ended today I've still got years of discovery and mastery of this fine sim yet to enjoy. Hell, I've only truly learned the intricacies of six or seven of the 50+ available planes I could be flying. I bet I could spend the next year just trying to get through a Gotha career!

WOFF winding down? I don't see it.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4225663 - 02/05/16 02:04 PM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Akmatov]  
matmilne Offline
matmilne  Offline

UK
lol, I think retiring from development would be playing into the wrong people's hands. We didn't spend 10 years redefining and proving that a much higher standard was possible, only to shy away and let those we defeated rise again. There is much more to come, some of us are just getting started!

ITunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/matt-milne/1301047345
Spotify https://open.spotify.com/album/4HohtzSKX5P5lz885y3BPu
Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NVS3WBV/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Demo Reel https://soundcloud.com/matt-milne-8/sets/demo-reel-full

Composer - games, films, and tv.
Wings over the Reich, Rise of Flight, Woff, off 2&3, Photokill and Star Trek: Bridge Commander Kobayashimaru
#4225670 - 02/05/16 02:30 PM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: matmilne]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: matmilne
lol, There is much more to come, some of us are just getting started!

Well now I'm confused as to the future of development for WOFF.

Winder's statement was something to the effect that if WOFF GOLD happens, it will be the last major iteration of WOFF.

Pol then clarified that their might be add-ons occassionally to it.

Now you are suggesting that there is much more to come and that some of you are just getting started!

Sounds to me like the news for development is making a turn around for the better, however I guess we will all just have to wait and see what happens. The only thing I am certain of is that as long as you guys are putting out stuff to keep making the best WWI flight sim ever made even better, I will be buying it.

#4225681 - 02/05/16 03:02 PM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Hellshade]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Hellshade
Well now I'm confused...

That's why you and everyone here should stop worrying and thinking - enjoy WOFF; it is there! readytoeat

#4225687 - 02/05/16 03:18 PM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Akmatov]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Well Hellshade, like you, I am ready to spend some money.
Now I just need a target.
In the interim let me go get killed by French Nieuports in my March, 1917 J11 career.

#4225692 - 02/05/16 03:25 PM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
In the interim let me go get killed by French Nieuports in my March, 1917 J11 career.

Wrong attitude for Richthofen's Staffel, Duke! Mmuahahahaaa!!! RTFM

#4225698 - 02/05/16 03:38 PM Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? [Re: Olham]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Olham
Originally Posted By: Hellshade
Well now I'm confused...

That's why you and everyone here should stop worrying and thinking - enjoy WOFF; it is there! readytoeat

I'm not at all worried good sir. smile As I said, I'm just confused as to the future of WOFF development. I'm sure all will be made clear. In the meantime, I'm hoping to get a little WOFF V2 flying goodness in this weekend. It's been a loooong couple of weeks at work and somewhere, some pixels need to pay for that with their digital WWI lives. attack

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM