Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4223574 - 01/31/16 04:59 AM Making A Murderer (SPOILERS)  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Just finished watching this 10 episode documentary series on Netflix, and it just makes my blood boil. I tried to keep an open mind, however, watching all of the police video suspect interviews, hearing the recordings of police radio calls, taped phone calls, and watching the trials...I'm kind of in shock.

The series chronicles the Steven Avery case in Wisconsin, where he was originally charged with rape and set free after 18 years in prison because DNA tests proved him innocent. As he tried to sue the local sheriff's office and local government for false imprisonment...for $38 million, he was then charged in a suspicious murder case...where all of the evidence is very suspicious...and may have been planted by said local officials. He's been in prison again since 2008 I think for life without parole, and the courts refuse to hear anything new from him.

With all of the evidence the defense brought up, I don't believe there was a case to convict without reasonable doubt.

Anybody else see this yet?

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4223582 - 01/31/16 06:09 AM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Its a hatchet job. They didnt even show most of the evidence that was used to convict the guy. They only showed the stuff that made him look innocent.

#4223636 - 01/31/16 01:22 PM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Yup. It's entertainment disguised as a documentary.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4223640 - 01/31/16 01:34 PM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Master]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted By: Master
Its a hatchet job. They didnt even show most of the evidence that was used to convict the guy. They only showed the stuff that made him look innocent.

Have you more info? I watched the Series, and like most I found it Blood Boiling. However, I did get the impression it was one sided.

Nate

#4223642 - 01/31/16 01:36 PM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

There was already a thread on this. The hatchet job was what a bunch of desperate crooked cops did to the nephew. The doc was skewed but not quite as badly as its detractors, including the sexual predator former DA, have claimed. The doc used evidence off innocence that were not included in the trial but only included evidence of guilt that was covered in trial. No question in my mind that the murderer is in prison but what happened to that simple, stupid kid is heartbreaking.

#4223676 - 01/31/16 03:19 PM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Few things I found out after watching it:

- Halbach didn't want to go to Avery's house for the photo shoot. She told her boss that the last time she showed up, he opened the door only with a towel around his waste. She said she felt very uncomfortable around him.

- The vial of blood stored in evidence is SUPPOSED to have a needle hole. That's how the blood gets in there (duh).

- Avery's girlfriend (the one in jail at the time of the murder) came forward recently and told how he was a different person in private. Domestic abuse, threatened to kill her if she left him., etc...

- Dassey had several more confessions which revealed stunning details about what happened. He said that Avery had planned to do this before Halbach arrived, several days before. He told Dassey he was going to do it. Lots of other info you can find out about his confessions which were not part of the docu.

FINALLY, the big one. Who else was having a big bonfire that evening? Avery was, at his own admission, and he first DENIED having a fire. NOBODY else was having a fire large and hot enough to burn her body. Had there been any other fire, somebody would have seen it, if not Avery himself.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4223734 - 01/31/16 05:37 PM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
One thing that stuck out for me was listening to the phone call from the woman in the search party who found the RAV4 in the junkyard on the property a week or so after Halbach went missing. The cop she was talking to asked for more identification and asked if there was a license plate, and she said no. She got the VIN but there was no license plate. On the witness stand, the one deputy was questioned about calling in a plate number a couple of days before the car was found on the property, after she had gone missing. Seemed odd unless I missed something.

The Calumet investigation team was supposed to be the only ones investigating due to a conflict of interest since Avery was suing the Manatowac Sheriff Dept, however the Manatowac officers found most of the evidence after and while the entire property was locked down and already searched for over 8 days, and then a few months later after Avery was locked up.

The blood spatter next to the ignition in the car, but the picture of Avery's cut finger was his left hand...strange way to start a car.

Avery and the slow witted kid (if he helped as he was convicted) were both in the 70 IQ range. Is that dumb enough NOT to crush the car with the crusher they have on the property? There was also a smelting furnace which would have disposed of a body 100% rather than trying to burn it behind your own house...which the defense also testified that bones were also found in the junkyard burn pit and were likely moved (as testified to by a forensic expert) to the bonfire pit and burn barrel behind the house.

I don't find it totally odd that Avery had a bonfire, because it was halloween night. Some of us country folk do have bonfires on holidays. I have a pile of brush in my back yard ready to go right now...lol. Bonfire and some beers is something we do from time to time. wink

This series was pretty much one sided, but the way it was presented really leaves a lot of doubt. I'll admit I haven't done any other research yet since I just finished the series, but I will. There was also a Dateline show on a couple of nights ago that discussed the cases again. Avery has a new defense lawyer who claims to have new evidence (perhaps new DNA testing technology that can see the blood preservative?) but she wouldn't give any details about what the new evidence was, so this case will be back in the news again soon.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4223834 - 01/31/16 09:36 PM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

I didn't say it was unusual that Avery had a huge fire going, I said he was the only one having a huge fire going. It takes a large hot fire to burn an entire body and char the bones to that level of brittleness. Avery had exactly that, with other things like rubber tires to help accelerate the fire.

Now to believe that someone else killed Halbach, burnt her body in a large fire, and then transported her charred, broken up bones to Avery's backyard, is just being ignorant. Even more ignorant to suggest the cops did it.

What an extraordinary opportunity that Avery had this huge hot bonfire going, the same afternoon and evening that Halbach came up missing. I bet the cops were like, hey look there.. Avery built a fire for us.. What luck!

Not only that, but to take the chance that she didn't make a phone call as she was leaving Avery's house saying, hey I'm leaving now, on my way! Then take the chance that stopping her, abducting her, just hoping nobody sees the cop stopping her, kill her, shoot her, take her to some hot fire somewhere, burn up her body, chop up her bones, put the bones in a bucket, transport the bones and body parts to Avery's backyard fire, drive the car to his property, park it, cover it, and doing this without anyone noticing a thing, even Avery himself, who was at home... Give me a break....

The guy is guilty.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4223837 - 01/31/16 09:44 PM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
That TV show is a joke.

Steven Avery is as guilty as guilty can be.

People in Wisconsin are completely outraged over that hack job of an "expose"

This series is the best response to it, if you have the time:

http://www.newstalk1130.com/onair/common...ode-1-14260554/

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#4223843 - 01/31/16 10:05 PM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

The whole point of the show was to cast doubt on his guilt. If it didnt leave you wondering if he really was guilty then the show didnt do its job and that show did a good job at that! Now go and read about the actual trials and what evidence was actually used opposed to what was presented in the show. The court documents are available including transcripts and etc. After you browse it just a little bit you will see how ****ing guilty that man is and wonder how whoever did that documentery isnt being thrown in jail.

#4223856 - 01/31/16 10:40 PM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
I just wonder what type of drone they used to get those great clear shots of the junk yard and town.

#4223935 - 02/01/16 03:33 AM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Like I said before, I've ONLY just finished watching the series and haven't done any further research. Like Master said, the show did very well at helping to cast doubt...as you can see with my replies...lol.

As far as the trial transcripts, the series pointed out many times how some of the defense evidence was left out or wasn't allowed. Again, good at casting doubt? wink

I don't know if anyone caught the (new) Dateline show the other night on NBC. Here's the transcript. http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/...details-w162874

Quote:
His new attorney, Kathleen Zellner (who has a reputation for winning wrongful conviction cases) confirmed to Dateline that she believes they have new evidence that could free him.

It does make for interesting debates. wink

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4223942 - 02/01/16 04:01 AM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: Smokin_Hole
There was already a thread on this.

I looked back through the forums to around 18 Dec when it was first streamed on Netflix and didn't see any mention anywhere.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4223969 - 02/01/16 05:57 AM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted By: Weasel_Keeper
Originally Posted By: Smokin_Hole
There was already a thread on this.

I looked back through the forums to around 18 Dec when it was first streamed on Netflix and didn't see any mention anywhere.

That's strange, All of my posts on December 19th are gone. Everything, not just "Making a Murderer", don't remember who started the thread. I didnt' know about the show until it was brought up here.

Manatowac Sheriff Dept are some sneaky bastards. Even getting rid of evidence around here!

They even had a hand in the Viking/Green Bay game.
http://fusion.net/story/251056/making-a-murderer-netflix-green-bay-packers-sign/

It really is a small world...
Mike Halbach, the brother of the victim, is employed as the teams director of football technology.

Last edited by Falstar; 02/01/16 06:07 AM.
#4224000 - 02/01/16 11:34 AM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

It was a great discussion. PWEC maybe?

#4224001 - 02/01/16 11:37 AM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Clydewinder]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Originally Posted By: Clydewinder
That TV show is a joke.

Sending the right guy to jail is not, in and of itself, justice. The process must also be just.

#4224018 - 02/01/16 12:46 PM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439

#4224104 - 02/01/16 05:29 PM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Falstar]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: Falstar

Ahh...thanks! Sorry I missed that. I probably skipped right over that topic a few weeks ago because I hadn't even heard of him until I started watching last week...lol.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4224111 - 02/01/16 05:46 PM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Yup. It's entertainment disguised as a documentary.

Yep. It's an honest damn shame that it's causing people to talk about it now.

I hate reality TV. This is just another example.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4224136 - 02/01/16 06:36 PM Re: Making A Murderer (SPOILERS) [Re: Clydewinder]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: Clydewinder
That TV show is a joke.

Well hell. I just read the entire rebuttal from the website linked above. Not sure if I should be pissed that a documentary took me and millions of others who've seen it, or if I should try and weigh both.

Well done Netflix. Great binge-worthy entertainment. banghead

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.