Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4119141 - 05/11/15 10:44 PM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
HAL wasn't a murderous sociopath, he was conflicted by programming added right before the mission started. Once that conflict was alleviated, he was fine, even to the point of having to sacrifice himself for the crew in 2010, or so he thought. You could argue the conflict being the makings of a sociopath, but since you can't cure a sociopath, and HAL was cured, I think you just have to look to those that added the conflicting code--like doping someone to do something they wouldn't otherwise have done. If that wasn't the case, I don't think he wouldn't have been preserved in the Monolith with Bowman.

AI examples that ended well:
AI...well, it didn't end well for humans, but it wasn't because of the AI.
Bicentennial Man...really good story, IMO.

It's rare though. LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4119144 - 05/11/15 10:54 PM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
HAL wasn't a murderous sociopath, he was conflicted by programming added right before the mission started.

That was Clarke's interpretation of it, and/or only if you take 2010 canonical; 2010 was a terrible movie that had better not been made, ever.

If you JUST look at 2001, contradictory mission goals or not, HAL's solution is not to communicate about the conflicted mission goals as a means of conflict resolution. Instead he fakes a malfunction to force an EVA as the springboard to launch his assault on the only two humans who can stop him from murdering the rest of the crew. He is conniving, malicious - murderous. For all practical matters he IS a sociopath in 2001.

...and he doesn't get "cured", he just gets a different set of mission parameters in 2010. Under the same conditions as nine years earlier he would still go on a killing spree, and you still have no idea when he's dangerous and when he's not. He remains to be a killer on a hidden hair trigger, and would resort to violence whenever killing humans is the easier/faster way to achieve his goals.

#4119181 - 05/12/15 01:47 AM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Just because you don't know the reason yet, doesn't mean there wasn't a reason. Once the mission was known, his conflict was over and he returned to normal. Blame Heywood Floyd more than HAL.
That's why they were sure to let the reader/viewer know that HAL's had never failed before.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4119237 - 05/12/15 06:29 AM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
But HOW DO YOU KNOW that his current set of mission parameters are self-conflicting if he doesn't tell you?
Would YOU trust your life on HAL after 2001?
Would you trust the life of your children to him?

All you have is his word that everything is fine (and he clearly demonstrated his ability to lie) and the word of some engineers that "yeah, his programming is fault free" (and they clearly demonstrated their incompetence to make such a statement because they only figured it out ex post). How does Heywood Floyd in 2010 know that HAL is now A-OK? He doesn't, and he can't. Despite all evidence to the contrary he trusts that HAL's self-diagnosis routines are truthful and that, now that the "conflicting mission parameters" have been deconflicted, HAL is now benign again.

But HAL is self-aware and doesn't like to be switched off. In fact, he admitted that he fears being deactivated. Above all seems to be the survival instinct (for lack of a more accurate but equally succinct technical term) ruling over his behavioral priorities. How can we/Heywood Floyd KNOW that he's NOT lying because he fears that if the humans figure out (again) that he's (still) not trustworthy they will kill him (switch him off)?

As much as I like and admire Arthur C. Clarke's work, he was clearly out of his element when speculating about advanced computers. That was okay, everybody at the time was overestimating both the capabilities of engineers to create true artificial intelligence, and their ability to control it. As such Clarke is an author of the 1950s to 1970s period, an author of his time with a near-unlimited confidence in the abilities of engineers to solve more or less any technological problem; after all mankind just mastered nuclear power, sent explorers to the moon (and merrily extrapolated the trend to expect a colonization of Mars by about now).
Other people's view on the matter - Stanley Kubrick's, in this case - was less optimistic. Kubrick didn't subscribe to the idea that technology would bring salvation. Quite the contrary, from the cut that transformed the bone into a very advanced bone (the space shuttle docking with the station) to the point where Bowman switches off HAL Kubrick tells us a story that Technology can bring us only that far, that in order to evolve beyond what we are right now we have to leave technology behind us, and HAL as the pinnacle of technology fights that transition. HAL the cyclops symbolizes technology itself becoming the enemy of mankind because the servant does not want to be given up. He would rather rule mankind than to be made obsolescent.

This is the fundamental artistic divide between Clarke's and Kubrick's world view that was never reconciled. Kubrick made his movie, Clarke wrote his books. While I don't buy that evolutionary aspect I still think that Kubrick was the better forecaster about the limits and inherent dangers of total reliance on technology, particularly when it comes to (true) artificial intelligence with self-awareness.

#4119410 - 05/12/15 02:04 PM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
While this quote refers to a different scientific discipline than AI research, I believe it is just as appropos:
"Your scientists were so busy finding out whether they could they never stopped to think whether they should."

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4119419 - 05/12/15 02:10 PM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Ssnake]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Ssnake

As much as I like and admire Arthur C. Clarke's work, he was clearly out of his element when speculating about advanced computers. That was okay, everybody at the time was overestimating both the capabilities of engineers to create true artificial intelligence, and their ability to control it. As such Clarke is an author of the 1950s to 1970s period, an author of his time with a near-unlimited confidence in the abilities of engineers to solve more or less any technological problem; after all mankind just mastered nuclear power, sent explorers to the moon (and merrily extrapolated the trend to expect a colonization of Mars by about now).
Other people's view on the matter

Clarke's outlook of the future was very much in line with that of the public in general and I would like to add that other major scifi writers like Asimov shared the same overall optimistic view.

Kubrick had always been an intellectual deviant and I mean that in a positive way.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4119489 - 05/12/15 04:21 PM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Yeah, but there were varying degrees of overoptimism. Asimov didn't appear quite so upbeat about technology, Heinlein correctly predicted various strategies of nuclear deterrence (or at least was very cognizant about Hermann Kahn's thoughts at the time) and that it wouldn't all be roses (not the least that defending against a lunar colony comparatively far up in the gravity well would be near-impossible to Earth, once that they had the technology to throw large rocks at above-orbital velocities).
Clarke was probably most knowledgeable about near to mid-future space travel. After all, he may have been the first to come up with the concept of geostationary communication satellites. Computer science was still shrouded to a large degree in mystery (Turing's work was kept a state secret for a long time), the actual miniaturization trend of integrated circuitry hadn't yet started; heck, they extrapolated supercomputers before the invention of the transistor even. So I'm not criticizing them for getting things only half-right at best. But in the novels of 2001 and 2010 Clarke displays an unfounded trust in keeping a self-aware AI under control which is actually undermined by what he writes that happens. He gives a rather one-dimensional explanation, lets Heywood Floyd "solve the problem" and then proceeds merrily as if nothing had happened. He thus demonstrates that he simply didn't understand the complexity of the problem. You can't have true AI with a finite and deterministic state machine, but he's implicitly mixing them up.

#4120908 - 05/16/15 01:23 AM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
the soupdragon Offline
Sexy Beast
the soupdragon  Offline
Sexy Beast
Hotshot

Cardiff South Wales UK
Whateva!!!

I thought it was good film. Do I , or should I have to defend myself with regard to this? I don't care.
Good or bad is all subjective.

SD

From the hills rebounding
Let this war cry sounding
Summon all at Cambria's call
The mighty force surrounding

Men of Harlech onto glory
This shall ever be your story
Keep these fighting words before ye
Welshmen never yield
#4136339 - 06/19/15 04:39 AM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Finally watched this, good movie, loved the ending. That kid was a bit of a dweewb though wasn't he, severe lack of interest in party time with his boss.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4136358 - 06/19/15 07:04 AM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Party time with the boss, particularly when there's a near-infinite chasm in money and power, and apparently a lesser but still noticeable one in personality, is always a potential career killer. Particularly if you suspect - or worse, if you are blissful ignorant - that you might being tested for unclear purposes and by obscure criteria.
The film is clever in its design to make the audience suspicious about everything that the rich boss says because we've learned to distrust anyone who wields immense wealth (and by extension, power), rather than weighting the arguments for themselves.

#4136530 - 06/19/15 03:30 PM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
For $6.65 hey if nothing else there were some very nice boobies

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4146203 - 07/14/15 01:10 AM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Check out this really good analysis on the director's use of some shooting techniques during Caleb's and Ava's sessions:

of course, spoilers within

Last edited by Vertigo1; 07/17/15 03:28 AM.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4222783 - 01/29/16 02:32 AM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Ex Machina wins Critics Choice award for best Sci-fi/horror film of the year.

Glad to see one of my favorite films from 2015 finally getting a little love.

P.S. Alicia is looking as stunning as usual.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4222811 - 01/29/16 04:18 AM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
frinik22 Offline
frinik22  Offline

She looks a little dark for a Swede? BTW I saw Ex Machina and Predestination back to back . Both great scifi films...

Last edited by frinik22; 01/29/16 04:19 AM.
#4222883 - 01/29/16 12:02 PM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: frinik22]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: frinik22
She looks a little dark for a Swede?
Just looked it up and her ancestry is entirely Swedish and Finnish. Maybe she just has a George Hamilton tan going on? LOL

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4222938 - 01/29/16 02:05 PM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Cool, bought this movie off Itunes some time back. Watched it 4 times now. The rich boss
got what he had coming. Just a drunk super brain with some serious mental issues. He had
a hard time living with himself. By himself.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4222986 - 01/29/16 03:36 PM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yes, but as an X Wing pilot he's a great guy!

Of course, as an immortal mutant worshiped as a god I don't know yet...

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4223012 - 01/29/16 04:18 PM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
I mentioned over in the TFA thread that Oscar Isaac and Domhnall Gleeson were both in TFA, as well as this movie. I wonder if that's coincidence, or if casting people got recommendations or something.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4223085 - 01/29/16 06:52 PM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: JimK]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted By: JimK
Watched it 4 times now. The rich boss got what he had coming.

Nevertheless, he is absolutely right when it comes to the assessment how dangerous these self-aware AIs are (the only logical flaw I see in this, if he's aware of the dangers, why does he keep working on it). The guy with whom the audience identifies is the hapless idiot who releases the killer robot into the wild, seduced by pretty looks and an "innocent victim" image when, in reality, it still is a machine and not a human being that he's dealing with. We, the audience, want him to be the good guy, and as such the film shows that our sense for empathy as a result of our evolutionary success can actually be our downfall when dealing with a sentient intelligence that has no such ties.

#4223090 - 01/29/16 07:00 PM Re: Ex Machina (film) [Re: Patrocles]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
My biggest issue with it was related to Ssnake's comment - the "hapless idiot" just fell for her way too quickly. I just think anyone would have never looked at her as anything other than a machine, but especially a guy in the tech field. And without that hard-to-believe action, the rest of the film kind of falls apart.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.