Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
#4220359 - 01/22/16 07:49 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Jedi Master]  
Mustang60348 Offline
Mustang60348  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Exactly. If you've said it a dozen times, what exactly do you expect will happen when you say it 100 times?

Isn't there some adage about insanity defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

I also laugh at the idea that these people think they are doing some great public service by pointing it out again and again to people who don't care, already know, or already know and don't care. Certainly everyone here falls into one of those three categories, so what's the point?

The Jedi Master

Do you mean exactly what you are doing now.

IRONY thy name is JediMaster

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4220463 - 01/23/16 01:25 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: TerribleTwo]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Originally Posted By: TerribleTwo
DCS has opened a whole new world of simming for me. Do tell, where else would I have discovred that performing a realistic engine start on a Mig15 is pure joy?

I'd be enjoying that one a lot more if they could go ahead and make it realistic, for good and bad. The MiG-15 was notorious for entering unrecoverable spins if it stalled, but after spending who knows how many hours (I used to fly it a lot, until I realized BST had done what they always do and moved on to their next Beta) I've not once encountered an even awkwardly bad spin, most have been so gentle I the plane would fix the problem itself if I just let go completely (that's one for "planes that can't crash"). So it seems that BST have moved into some quite blatant national bias apart from just shoddy work.

#4220501 - 01/23/16 04:45 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: FlashHeart]  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlashHeart

I was aghast at the 26 page (when I last looked) forum thread at LOF thoroughly pounding ED because they (a Russian dev team) had dared to make a Russian aircraft and not an American one. It was embarassing.

Haven't been back to LOF since and don't intend to.

So you disagreed with what was being said and you left? Good for you. If you're that sensitive to free thinking discussion you definitely don't belong at LOF. Head over to ED's forums where you will toe the party line or you will be removed. It's much safer for you over there. wink

#4220543 - 01/23/16 10:56 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

You LOF guys sure come off as rather aggressive at times.

#4220544 - 01/23/16 11:06 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
I opted out of any discussion on any subject relating to the developer of DCS and any 3rd party developer - but since our website has been mentioned, I will make this one exception.

for those that don't know , Rugg is a moderator at LockOnFiles.

While some of us have been aggressive at times, so have been those connected with the developer, so we are even.

As for our website - you would have to dig deep in our forums, back 4 or 5 years to find posts that are in any way critical in a disrespectful way.

Ours is not a discussion forum like here, still, like Rugg said, it is one that allows free discussion and we keep that very civil, as anyone browsing our website can attest.

As for posts here at SimHQ - as a rule now, I try to skip any posts made by people connected with the developer.

I suggest doing this as an effective way not to get irritated by posts one finds objectionable, just look at who posted and skip it, very easy to do.

#4220545 - 01/23/16 11:15 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: LOF_Rugg]  
FlashHeart Offline
Old fart
FlashHeart  Offline
Old fart

52°56'N 0°02'W (UK)
Originally Posted By: LOF_Rugg

I was aghast at the 26 page (when I last looked) forum thread at LOF thoroughly pounding ED because they (a Russian dev team) had dared to make a Russian aircraft and not an American one. It was embarassing.

Haven't been back to LOF since and don't intend to.

So you disagreed with what was being said and you left? Good for you. If you're that sensitive to free thinking discussion you definitely don't belong at LOF. Head over to ED's forums where you will toe the party line or you will be removed. It's much safer for you over there. wink

I didn't want to be associated with people openly displaying such single-minded arrogance.

Simple.

By the way, my mods were downloaded several thousand times at LOF, but you're right - I should upload them elsewhere, and I have done since.

Ah yes - and it's not okay for them to have the freedom to produce whichever product they like, but is okay for you to complain about it?

Pot kettle and black.

EDIT: Actually, you are right in that people have the right to complain. My mistake. This wasn't simply complaining, though, it was more of a malicious witch-hunt. If you condone such behaviour then it doesn't surprise me if you are banned from a forum.

Last edited by FlashHeart; 01/23/16 12:57 PM. Reason: edit

"The way you keep forgeting things, you'd think you'd remember"
- my wife
#4220702 - 01/23/16 10:00 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
zaelu Offline
MercInc staff
zaelu  Offline
MercInc staff

France (ex Romania)
Lets get back to LNS please.

So... is there any of the fixes of the bugs reported on bugtracker fixed in the latest patch? Cause I had to use the emergency brake again after a quick take off and landing as no drag chute deployed.

Also.

Is it realistic that Mig21 can be steered without using brake lever at only 6km/h? Is the aerodynamic pressure on elevator big enough at this speed? (I am a bit sarcastic, ok smile )

#4220763 - 01/24/16 12:19 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

The only reason the chute wouldn't deploy (bug-wise) is the pneumatic pressure depleted which was a bug but I thought was fixed (open alpha?). Otherwise is super easy to accidentally deploy the 'chute in flight and you'll never know it's unavailable.

#4220823 - 01/24/16 03:39 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: FlashHeart]  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

EDIT: Actually, you are right in that people have the right to complain. My mistake. This wasn't simply complaining, though, it was more of a malicious witch-hunt. If you condone such behaviour then it doesn't surprise me if you are banned from a forum.

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. Seriously. All I meant was that at least there was discussion over at LOF. You are not allowed to discuss anything on ED's forums if it's negative for ED. The post is removed and often times you get banned.

If it was me, I'd rather hear what everyone has to say, even if I don't agree with it. That's how adults used to deal with dissention. wink

#4222077 - 01/27/16 09:19 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
FlashHeart Offline
Old fart
FlashHeart  Offline
Old fart

52°56'N 0°02'W (UK)
Well I have to say, I've been gobsmacked at the slating they have been getting recently on the DCS forums, as well as the 3rd party devs (some you could say had brought it on themselves, but that would be a controverasial opinion, I'm sure) but although I've been a member there for many years, I've not seen the kind of aggressive 'policing' that was prevalent a couple of years ago for some time now.

I think that some of the overly assertive mods have disappeared and it seems the rest have either been reined-in or had a rethink.

As always, I think it's not what people have to say, but the way they say it - many of my posts are seen as far more aggressive or 'angry' than they are ever meant to be - that's the thing about reading over hearing/seeing.

"The way you keep forgeting things, you'd think you'd remember"
- my wife
#4245959 - 04/03/16 03:52 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
bud01 Offline
HQ Simulation in VR fan
bud01  Offline
HQ Simulation in VR fan

England UK, Herts
Hi,

Just wanted to say I just picked up the DCS: MiG-21bis by Leatherneck Simulations (order 310048) from eagle

I purchased this mod after listening to the awesome pod cast 476th Podcast - Episode 5

I am motivated to buy this mod because of the close passionate team that put this mod together and the pursuit of perfection and that the mod will help me understand the mig 21.

In short I know I am getting a really great quality mod here with this and the people making it are going above and beyond to make sure I get a good experience and the aircraft is pretty darn accurate with on going close updates and care, this goes a long way.

From the 476 last pod cast they reported a lot of stuff for this year so hopefully they can report in how the mod community is coming along, topics like VR and how EDGE map making is shaping up.

Ill be getting back in the A10c to continue my learning on that airframe but very interested in the quality of works on the mig so will be firing it up to take a look around the cockpit.

thanks leatherneck for making some thing really good with strong focus on quality pretty sure a lot of people think the same way I do,

welcome to message me when the f15 is available.

thanks.

#4246253 - 04/04/16 02:18 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

I think the Migbus is my favorite DCS module but I have to complain about the significant avionics mis-modelings. I really like the fact that you can't abuse the electronics and it has a very organic feel to many of the systems. It's blind praise that causes me to raise my finger with exceptions in direct proportionality. I rubber band to "it's good but has faults" quite strongly.

The weapon selection switches are quite wrong, the ARK is way off, the SPO lacks very useful subtlety, the RSBN stopped well short of in-depth and quite useful functionality, the PRMG glidescope is for the space shuttle, the radio navaids are not based on the ones present in the terrain, the sight has major errors, the audio missile feedback is simplistic, the SORC light isn't correct, blah blah blah.

I'm glad they're fixing some of it but it's slow both naturally because creating a detailed simulation takes a long time and also because the effort is diluted with other projects. I try not to think about how much has passed between buying the thing and having a reasonable enjoyable time completing the included campaign (ugh, GCI-less 60s interceptor against DCS AI killbots.)

#4246510 - 04/04/16 07:48 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
bud01 Offline
HQ Simulation in VR fan
bud01  Offline
HQ Simulation in VR fan

England UK, Herts
That's some really interesting feedback Frederf, it sounds like you really know what you are talking about.

What is your aviation or simulation back ground? How do you compare from other simulators or real world usage?

One of the dreams I have about DCS is that some bold projects like the SR71, F117, and unusual assets can come to DCS,

At the moment it looks like I have my hands full with A10c for next months,

I think it is not to be under estimated just how many extra people are going to start buying into DCS because of VR.

You know just sitting here thinking.
If I was Eagle, or the mod makers,

I would make stand alone experiences like The Apollo 11 Experience,

There are going to be many hundreds of thousands of new people joining into demanding VR experiences like star citizen, assetto corsa.

An online VR school for flight training, I guess its already in the game but helping people to reach stepping stones to make it manageable to fly these craft, its not easy, and it shouldn't be easy, its real life flying buy by computer.

Leather neck if you come to these forums do you have any input about those points mentioned, also when are your next asset available as I want to send you more money..

thanks
bud

#4246530 - 04/04/16 09:42 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
amnwrx Offline
amnwrx  Offline

I think most the issues that the community have identified come from people with access to the real world mig-21 manual and maybe some people who have experience of some sort on the real deal aircraft. Leatherneck has a real world pilot who also codes on their team, so they have a pretty solid reference. This is what makes their decision to add things like CCiP bombing and a pipper that fallows IR locked targets to the ASP all the more puzzling. Seems like more trouble then it's worth to add these things if the real A/c doesn't do it.

I have a lot of time in light civilian aircraft and even a couple hours in an L-39. I tend to judge sims/moduals on the believability of the flight model, if it doesn't convince me that I'm accually fling that aircraft il have a hard time trying to learn its systems. That being said I love flying the mig. I'm not a big "avionics geek" and havnt read much of the real manual to validate the criticisms of the outspoken few of the community. However, leatherneck have said they are addressing some of the issues that have been brought up, its just been taking awhile, like ED they are very busy. They even have a bug tracker to keep us up to date on what's being fixed. https://leatherneck-sim.mantishub.com/

I agree with you that the team seems passionate about the products they develop. The Mig is a high quality addon well worth the price dispite the issues IMHO. There is really no comparison to it in other sims. It's an obscure aircraft witch you will not find a better representation of anywhere.

#4246660 - 04/05/16 09:04 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

It's amazing how no matter the project's obscurity someone will come out of nowhere with incredible levels of familiarity. It could be a 1918 triplane and someone will say "yeah, I used to work on those."

#4246694 - 04/05/16 12:19 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
zaelu Offline
MercInc staff
zaelu  Offline
MercInc staff

France (ex Romania)
Frederf you can add to your list the slightly broken radar from last patch the surreal but rewarding overpowered missiles the fixed/broken/partially fixed air leak from one of the circuits, the still existent ability to turn at slow speeds without using brakes. And maybe... the hugely delayed paint schemes kit that finely came out but in 2GB size and little usability (no presets within, for example I was expecting a Romanian "fictitious" skin at least in the kit, necessity to combine some files to obtain some useful texture...)

The Mig is awesome as it is, that is a fact, but the small issues it has old, new or recurring dents its aura and also place a shadow on the future projects. Sure... it could be the case they are stretched over big work but...

#4246710 - 04/05/16 01:03 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: zaelu]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted By: zaelu
Frederf you can add to your list the slightly broken radar from last patch the surreal but rewarding overpowered missiles the fixed/broken/partially fixed air leak from one of the circuits, the still existent ability to turn at slow speeds without using brakes. And maybe... the hugely delayed paint schemes kit that finely came out but in 2GB size and little usability (no presets within, for example I was expecting a Romanian "fictitious" skin at least in the kit, necessity to combine some files to obtain some useful texture...)

**yawn

#4246779 - 04/05/16 04:22 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: zaelu]  
Cobra847 Offline
Cobra847  Offline

Originally Posted By: zaelu
the hugely delayed paint schemes kit that finely came out but in 2GB size and little usability (no presets within, for example I was expecting a Romanian "fictitious" skin at least in the kit, necessity to combine some files to obtain some useful texture...)

..you have to.. you have to be kidding now, right?
Gold jerry, gold

How about we just build you a "Make a Paintscheme application" where you press a button and it magically spits out new liveries. :P

Last edited by Cobra847; 04/05/16 04:50 PM.

Director | Art Director

Heatblur Simulations
#4246786 - 04/05/16 04:33 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Cobra847]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Originally Posted By: Cobra847

How about we just build you a "Make a Paintscheme application" where you press a button and it magically #%&*$# out new liveries.

No need, Cobra. Those new templates are good enough. biggrin

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4246806 - 04/05/16 05:11 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Cobra847]  
zaelu Offline
MercInc staff
zaelu  Offline
MercInc staff

France (ex Romania)
Originally Posted By: Cobra847

..you have to.. you have to be kidding now, right?
Gold jerry, gold

How about we just build you a "Make a Paintscheme application" where you press a button and it magically spits out new liveries. :P

I think we would agree it would be useful in the long run. This and ability to switch paintschemes in briefing like in IL-2 would give a new dimension to painting those planes.

Sorry if I offended you Cobra... chill... enjoy your drink. I think I used some paintkit for... I don't remember... Ka-50? Su-27? Something and had layers with decals and also different camos from which one could more easily start mixing something. This and the fact that at some point your or maybe Rudel said that in the long awaited skins (last year or maybe 2014) a Romanian paint scheme will also be available... made me think... erroneously I can understand now that since that skin never materialized it would be hidden in some layers in that huge paint kit.

Thing is that the expanding number of DCS players and DCS Mig21 owners are at most in same proportions as the old ones "artists" in creating skins. So I think (wrong maybe) that making such thing easier rather than more difficult would actually help making the 21 even more enjoyable. Now if this would be easier for the average player I could also profit from it as I have less and less time to burn on this.

I was sent into that conclusion about the paintkit also because of these two posts:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2731067#post2731067

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2731047#post2731047

oh... and this

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2731820#post2731820

imho... clearly more complicated than before.

If you say this is how it should be... OK. No need to argue with you about it.

But since we are at this here is a screenshot for you. I post it as a link as I don't want to clutter the page.

http://i.imgur.com/CEzrj7c.jpg

I really don't know why is this happening (still) in few minutes. Could be the brake axis leaking continuously too fast? Anyway... The cockpit is top notch! smile

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.