Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
#4219592 - 01/20/16 09:42 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Jedi Master]  
Mustang60348 Offline
Mustang60348  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Originally Posted By: Mustang60348
Originally Posted By: Johnny_Redd
Originally Posted By: theOden
Maybe you read way too much into a missed date Redd?

Like I said I couldn't care less about missed announcements. However some folk do and have a right as paying customers to express their opinions without others finding their dissatisfaction so offensive as to try to belittle their grievance.

I suggest you read the story "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" because it is particularly relevant.

The Jedi Master

So then what you are saying is that no one should believe anything that Cobra says anymore because he has made a multitude of statements that have turned out not to be true.

Frankly that is quite surprising coming from you.

The sky is blue.

Count how many times they have made statements like that. The sky is blue. Five? Six? A dozen? Two dozen?

Now count how many times you've whined and moaned about their statements. The sky is blue. I'll come back later when you've finished it because I don't have enough hours in the day to do it, but if you come back with a number under triple digits, I'll know you're either lying or too lazy to do it. The sky is blue.

If you think you can say something that often and it's fine, but they say it 5 or 6 and it's not, because they're "a company" and you're just "a customer", well you're wrong. The sky is blue. It's not. The sky is blue. The rules apply equally. The sky is blue.

What you say is irrelevant when you say it all the time, whether it's true or not. The sky is blue.

See? The sky is blue.

The Jedi Master

WTF are you even talking about now.

Last edited by Mustang60348; 01/20/16 09:43 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4219633 - 01/21/16 12:36 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Mustang60348]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: Mustang60348
The sky is blue.

Count how many times they have made statements like that. The sky is blue. Five? Six? A dozen? Two dozen?

Now count how many times you've whined and moaned about their statements. The sky is blue. I'll come back later when you've finished it because I don't have enough hours in the day to do it, but if you come back with a number under triple digits, I'll know you're either lying or too lazy to do it. The sky is blue.

If you think you can say something that often and it's fine, but they say it 5 or 6 and it's not, because they're "a company" and you're just "a customer", well you're wrong. The sky is blue. It's not. The sky is blue. The rules apply equally. The sky is blue.

What you say is irrelevant when you say it all the time, whether it's true or not. The sky is blue.

See? The sky is blue.

The Jedi Master

WTF are you even talking about now.

Agree with it, or not... it appears his point was:

"What you say is irrelevant when you say it all the time, whether it's true or not."

#4219718 - 01/21/16 07:35 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
zaelu Offline
MercInc staff
zaelu  Offline
MercInc staff

France (ex Romania)
Like when ATC repeats to a pilot that he should change course and altitude to avoid collision with other aircraft... the more ATC repeats it the more irrelevant it becomes... lol

#4219900 - 01/21/16 04:39 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: zaelu]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: zaelu
Like when ATC repeats to a pilot that he should change course and altitude to avoid collision with other aircraft... the more ATC repeats it the more irrelevant it becomes... lol

Well... if ATC repeats it long enough, one way or another the information will become irrelevant.

#4219904 - 01/21/16 04:51 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Exactly. If you've said it a dozen times, what exactly do you expect will happen when you say it 100 times?

Isn't there some adage about insanity defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

I also laugh at the idea that these people think they are doing some great public service by pointing it out again and again to people who don't care, already know, or already know and don't care. Certainly everyone here falls into one of those three categories, so what's the point?

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4219937 - 01/21/16 06:07 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Sounds like it was ignored the first time but here you can't ignore the 100th. Perhaps the squeaky wheel does get the grease?

#4220007 - 01/21/16 09:23 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
No. It wasn't ignored.

Not getting your way =! ignored.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4220022 - 01/21/16 10:57 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Jedi Master]  
Tirak Offline
Tirak  Offline

No. It wasn't ignored.

Not getting your way =! ignored.

The Jedi Master

And yet, when the MiG-21Bis was first introduced, it had unrealistic nose wheel steering. Comments from the community got that changed. When the MiG-21Bis had unrealistic engine behavior making it impossible to overspeed, outcry from the community got that changed. So yes, it's a case of, if you complain enough, something may change.

And let's be clear, LN aren't angels here. They've been leading the community on and on, and on... and on... and on. So yeah, a little complaining is catharsis, and should be taken in stride.

Last edited by Tirak; 01/21/16 10:58 PM.
#4220078 - 01/22/16 04:13 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Tirak]  
BlackLion213 Offline
BlackLion213  Offline

Ca
Originally Posted By: Tirak
And yet, when the MiG-21Bis was first introduced, it had unrealistic nose wheel steering. Comments from the community got that changed. When the MiG-21Bis had unrealistic engine behavior making it impossible to overspeed, outcry from the community got that changed. So yes, it's a case of, if you complain enough, something may change.

And let's be clear, LN aren't angels here. They've been leading the community on and on, and on... and on... and on. So yeah, a little complaining is catharsis, and should be taken in stride.

Those are good examples of an attentive DCS community facilitating solid improvements to a DCS module....but it's also entirely out of context in this situation. You are describing a situation in which complaints from the community leads to corrections/improvements in a product that customers paid for and was in use by the customers.

The complaints spelled out in the thread are from past or aspiring customers complaining that they have not been given any details about a product that is not for sale and has not been paid for or pre-purchased. Is there any industry where companies are required to discuss future products before they are ready for sale? Especially when the company has explicitly said that the product is not ready and they want to give an accurate account of the future features/timeline. Saying the product is not ready is a totally reasonable explanation for not talking about it.

I agree that it would have been better if there were no potential dates mentioned, but if Leatherneck hadn't mentioned a single thing about their future product people would still be outraged by the total lack of information.

Leatherneck is in this situation because people are really excited about their products and can't stop thinking about it. If people were genuinely turned off and decided to not become a future LNS customer, they wouldn't bother talking about it. When people move on and don't care, they don't talk about it.

It's hard to wait for things that could be awesome, but there is no alternative....

Plus, it's the case with ED and every other 3rd party, DCS users are well-practiced at the waiting game. Plus, the wait is almost over...probably. wink

-Nick

#4220089 - 01/22/16 04:59 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

I'm amazed at some of the choices these dev teams are making. Doesn't it make sense to recreate one that will sell the most copies? Tomcat, I get that. Viggen? Doubtful anyone in my squadron will waste their time with it. Kinda like ED choosing the Black Shark. A chopper that doesn't even really exist in real squadrons. What's next, Comanche? The point is that if ED is looking to enlarge their audience a Hawk or some other trainer really isn't the best choice. That is if you intend to make money.

#4220103 - 01/22/16 05:39 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

ED isn't doing the Hawk.
Looking at the Viggen thread over at the other site it seems to gather some interest.
What airframes should they go for, in your opinion (be it ED or 3P)?

#4220104 - 01/22/16 05:42 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: LOF_Rugg]  
BlackLion213 Offline
BlackLion213  Offline

Ca
Originally Posted By: LOF_Rugg
I'm amazed at some of the choices these dev teams are making. Doesn't it make sense to recreate one that will sell the most copies? Tomcat, I get that. Viggen? Doubtful anyone in my squadron will waste their time with it. Kinda like ED choosing the Black Shark. A chopper that doesn't even really exist in real squadrons. What's next, Comanche? The point is that if ED is looking to enlarge their audience a Hawk or some other trainer really isn't the best choice. That is if you intend to make money.

Obscurity is in the eye of the beholder. Aren't there only about 100 A-10C's? Seems pretty obscure to me.

Though in the case of the Black Shark, I'm guessing it's simply a practical matter. Isn't the Ka-50 the only single-crew attack helicopter? I think it was a work around for the multi-crew problem.

-Nick

Last edited by BlackLion213; 01/22/16 05:43 AM.
#4220106 - 01/22/16 05:44 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: LOF_Rugg]  
Cobra847 Offline
Cobra847  Offline

Doesn't it make sense to recreate one that will sell the most copies?

You recreate an aircraft as best you can and craft an enjoyable experience. Quality leads to sales.
Whether the aircraft is a niche or not.

Viggen? Doubtful anyone in my squadron will waste their time with it.

Just like the thousands who "weren't interested in the MiG-21" prior to release who ended up loving it and it becoming their favourite DCS Module. We're seeing lots of interest from all over the community; we will deliver an excellent product, and I have no doubt it will be successful.

Regardless, if you think our products are a waste of time, I'm not sure why you're posting in this thread.

The point is that if ED is looking to enlarge their audience a Hawk or some other trainer really isn't the best choice.

Who exactly told you ED chooses aircraft or theatres for independent, 3rd party companies?

Last edited by Cobra847; 01/22/16 08:53 AM.

Director | Art Director

Heatblur Simulations
#4220115 - 01/22/16 06:37 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
streakeagle Offline
streakeagle  Offline

Seffner, FL USA
I am always the odd ball. Other people are screaming for the F-16C, F/A-18E, F-22, and F-35. But what I want is the F-4E and MiG-21bis. Until DCS MiG-21bis was announced as a crowdfunding project, the only sim that even came close to making me happy with jets was the SFP1/WoX/SF2 series. I was constantly flying variants of the F-4, MiG-21, and MiG-23, as well as the Century series of American fighters. It just so happened, just as Third Wire announced it was possibly going to make the "sim lite" even "liter" or even switch over to tablet games, the DCS MiG-21bis announcement arrived an lifted my hopes of finally getting a decent hard-core study sim of the F-4 and MiG-21.

Despite a long and rocky development period and less than accurate announcements, the MiG-21bis turned out to be almost perfect, for a beta release.

The Draken, Viggen, and Gripen are all fantastic aircraft and rarely modeled at all in sims, much less to a study sim level. I would gladly buy them all. While I would be even more excited about the JA-37, the AJS-37 will almost be just as much fun.

I may not care much for LNS marketing/announcements techniques, but I sure do look forward to the final results... whenever they finally become available. The F4U-1D and F-14A are just as exciting to me as the AJS-37. I will hate waiting for them to be made available for download.

forum: a public meeting or assembly for open discussion
discussion: an extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic
censorship: practice of suppressing a text or part of a text that is considered objectionable
#4220147 - 01/22/16 11:01 AM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Cobra847]  
Mustang60348 Offline
Mustang60348  Offline

Originally Posted By: Cobra847
Doesn't it make sense to recreate one that will sell the most copies?

You recreate an aircraft as best you can and craft an enjoyable experience. Quality leads to sales.
Whether the aircraft is a niche or not.

Viggen? Doubtful anyone in my squadron will waste their time with it.

Just like the thousands who "weren't interested in the MiG-21" prior to release who ended up loving it and it becoming their favourite DCS Module. We're seeing lots of interest from all over the community; we will deliver an excellent product, and I have no doubt it will be successful.

Regardless, if you think our products are a waste of time, I'm not sure why you're posting in this thread.

The point is that if ED is looking to enlarge their audience a Hawk or some other trainer really isn't the best choice.

Who exactly told you ED chooses aircraft or theatres for independent, 3rd party companies?

Technically you are correct, they don't choose them BUT they can deny them the license to produce it and while that may not be choosing which aircraft to develop, they do have the final say on what gets produced.

#4220186 - 01/22/16 01:04 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
zaelu Offline
MercInc staff
zaelu  Offline
MercInc staff

France (ex Romania)
Mig21 is an iconic plane. People that hate it or despise it were well aware of its iconic value and although complaining about it not being the F18 or Su37 they were hoping they slowly fell in love with the 21 or at least fell for it enough to buy it. For Viggen... it might be the same due to the quality or LNS might hit a bump. It is possible that Corsair to drag the sales on Viggen if they will have similar great (if) quality.

But imho, Viggen will not have the same impact as the 21 if they will be on equal quality. Maybe if it will be better quality wise... maybe.

P.S.

I can still move my Mig21bis sideways at 6Km/h withot using brakes... just the rudder pedals.

#4220249 - 01/22/16 04:24 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: LOF_Rugg]  
Eddie Offline
Registered Lunatic
Eddie  Offline
Registered Lunatic

Kinda like ED choosing the Black Shark. A chopper that doesn't even really exist in real squadrons.

For the Russian market it makes a lot of sense, the Ka-50 was/is the Russian equivalent of Airwolf. Quite an iconic aircraft, just not in the Western world, and I dare say the same is true of others.

Eddie

#4220323 - 01/22/16 06:42 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
streakeagle Offline
streakeagle  Offline

Seffner, FL USA
Ka-50? A-10C? Military contracts that become free profits when turned around to become consumer grade products.

forum: a public meeting or assembly for open discussion
discussion: an extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic
censorship: practice of suppressing a text or part of a text that is considered objectionable
#4220328 - 01/22/16 06:48 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Eddie]  
FlashHeart Offline
Old fart
FlashHeart  Offline
Old fart

52°56'N 0°02'W (UK)
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Kinda like ED choosing the Black Shark. A chopper that doesn't even really exist in real squadrons.

For the Russian market it makes a lot of sense, the Ka-50 was/is the Russian equivalent of Airwolf. Quite an iconic aircraft, just not in the Western world, and I dare say the same is true of others.

Very well said - my thinking from the start.

I was aghast at the 26 page (when I last looked) forum thread at LOF thoroughly pounding ED because they (a Russian dev team) had dared to make a Russian aircraft and not an American one. It was embarassing.

Haven't been back to LOF since and don't intend to.

"The way you keep forgeting things, you'd think you'd remember"
- my wife
#4220349 - 01/22/16 07:28 PM Re: Leatherneck Simulations New Years Eve Update [Re: Nate]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

DCS has opened a whole new world of simming for me. Do tell, where else would I have discovred that performing a realistic engine start on a Mig15 is pure joy? Where else would I have realized how enjoyable it was to dive into the cockpit of a Mig21, with all functioning switches and gadgets? I don't even have any books on early Russian post-war jet technology.... Now because of DCS, I have to take a trip to every book store I can find to add to my vast library of military reading material.

I would hope that DCS was purely about 1950's jet technology. Period. Bring em all. Every F model, every Mig model up to the Mig 27, I'll even go as far as the "modern" F4.

So sick of modern jets they don't even interest me anymore, with their fly by wire, can't crash, all too easy to fly technology. I want roaring, screaming, unstable flying, shiny cones of aluminum.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.