CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: straycat
Quote:
That's enough of the name calling Straycat...debate the topic and don't make it personal.

1. Hippie is not even an insult, if he declares anyone who likes AAA games addicted to "instant gratification", then he gets declared hippie.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hippie?s=t

Quote:
hippie
or hippy
[hip-ee]

noun
a person, especially of the late 1960s, who rejected established institutions and values and sought spontaneity, direct personal relations expressing love, and expanded consciousness, often expressed externally in the wearing of casual, folksy clothing and of beads, headbands, used garments, etc.

Even if it were appropriate to be characterizing Homefries with a label (it's not), I don't see anything displayed in Homefries' postings to indicate that the label "hippie" (or "Hippy") would be remotely applicable to him. Your declaration is not only against SimHQ forum rules, it is plainly illogical.

Quote:
2. Stop lying in ambush in my topic, you just wait looking for anything I say to use your red font on.

Force10 is the moderator of these sub-forums. It is his job to monitor all of the threads and deal with problematic posts. Plenty of other people's posts have gotten attention from him when it was appropriate. If you don't like the red font showing up in your posts, then stop writing things that result in it.

#4214051 - 01/07/16 04:18 AM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: straycat]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA

1. Hippie is not even an insult, if he declares anyone who likes AAA games addicted to "instant gratification", then he gets declared hippie.

It's pretty clear that you meant it as a dig at a fellow member given the angry context you used it. If you re-read Homefries comment, he didn't say anyone was "addicted" to instant gratification...more importantly he didn't single you out for anything in his post.

Stop lying in ambush in my topic, you just wait looking for anything I say to use your red font on.

Nice. So now I'm a power hungry moderator that's just itching to lay down some discipline on you?

I will say it again...stick to debating the topic and don't make it personal. I can't remember the last time I gave a public warning to anyone here...but consider this one. It will come as no surprise to you I'm sure...because flexing muscle and abusing my moderator abilities is just how I roll.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4214099 - 01/07/16 10:56 AM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: straycat]  
straycat Offline
straycat  Offline

Quote:
I time the decline of flight sims with the advent of the graphics engine as a commodity. It's much easier and more profitable to license an engine (Quake, Doom, Unreal), design some levels, and release a shooter than it is to spend time developing a high fidelity flight simulator. That the shooter will take only 15-15 hours to burn through is actually icing on the cake since that will send the purchaser coming back for the next offering (unlike a good flight sim, which will spend years on a hard drive). Combine this with the instant gratification/ADD/graphics and shiny things demographic we have buying most games now, and you won't have a AAA publisher go near a flight sim unless it can be controlled with a keyboard and mouse and has as much action as the original Afterburner by Sega.

He is describing the average AAA customer like he is a drug addict. I am one of those so I do take offense. I am part of that shiny things demographic. And if I get accused of an ADD disorder because I like good gfx, he gets called a hippie.

And you did wait in ambush since I got here. And you single me out for moderating. For example check Maicos post history in some of my topics, at one point he said "you dont have any friends" because he disagreed with an argument. Of course there was no red moderator font for that. I dont mind these personal attacks by people because its the internet so there is no damage done. But it gets weird if the moderators jump at any chance to edit my stuff. The first time I posted something on the forum you threatened to close my topic because I did no respond "in time" because the topic spiraled violently into some offtopic stuff.

#4214100 - 01/07/16 11:06 AM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: straycat]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

I can feel an account suspension coming on...........

Watch out, force10 is polishing up his forum nerf bat!

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#4214153 - 01/07/16 01:53 PM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: straycat]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

OMG someone can dish it but can't take it smile

--
44th VFW
#4214172 - 01/07/16 02:31 PM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: straycat]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA

He is describing the average AAA customer like he is a drug addict. I am one of those so I do take offense. I am part of that shiny things demographic. And if I get accused of an ADD disorder because I like good gfx, he gets called a hippie.

He's describing a demographic...not personally tayloring an insult for you...so that doesn't mean you should personally attack him. I spent a little time trying to find Maico's insult to you and gave up after a bit. I was reminded of times I have warned you in the past however.

There are plenty of members here that are very critical of ED and are able to defend their position without personally attacking anyone.

Take a week to think about if you should adjust how you interact with other members here.

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

#4214178 - 01/07/16 02:48 PM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: straycat]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz

He is describing the average AAA customer like he is a drug addict. I am one of those so I do take offense.

Sorry to hear that. Cocaine is a hell of a drug frown

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#4214189 - 01/07/16 03:01 PM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: straycat]  
Maico Offline
Maico  Offline

Qatar
The truth is you posts are all obvious trolls for argument and mudslinging. I have yet to read something of yours that helped someone. Slinging constant mud at ED because you find fault in everything is not going to make you popular. Its just kind of annoying to wake up to it every day. You made a post about what airplane to buy. Then you started another post about how you don't like it. It don't take a genius to figure out you are just after banter and argument.

Yes, I lost my patience with you before. No surprise there.

Maico
i7 5930 @4.2Ghz
EVGA GTX1080 8GB Hybrid
DDR4 3000 x 32Gig
Fatal1ty x99x Mother
LG 34"UC97 Curved
Ultra Wide 3440x1440
TiR5, Thrustmaster Warthog,
Slaw Device Bf-109 Pedals
#4214199 - 01/07/16 03:15 PM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: straycat]  
Chuck_Owl Offline
Chuck_Owl  Offline

Canada
@AgressorBlue

Couldn't resist digging out some old Chappelle Show clips biggrin

"Aaaah! Aaahh you darkness! You black midnight, evil mother****ers! Black magic darkness!"

Last edited by Chuck_Owl; 01/07/16 03:15 PM.
#4214228 - 01/07/16 04:00 PM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: Jedi Master]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
I was going to say something here but then I stumbled into this post by Jedi master:

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
When people stop buying alpha/beta/early access, making the developers wait for the final release to get their money, that's when it will improve. Not be fixed, because we've had buggy release software needing patches since day one of software, but things have certainly been moving the wrong direction with the ease of digital distribution vs physical copies.

Want to be part of the solution? Don't buy a game/module/DLC/whatever until it's the 1.0 release, even if you REALLY want it, even if it's on a discount, even if they throw a bone like extra missions or skins or something. If everyone did that, the companies would have to fix it up. In fact, imagine if almost no one purchased until the release day buyers posted their evaluations that the game was bug-free and feature complete? Wanna bet the early patches would be vast, comprehensive, and FAST?

The Jedi Master

Which basically echoes everything that I was going to say!

I'm very critical to the approach and direction that DCS is going nowadays (well, not exactly "nowadays") but nevertheless it's very weird to see someone complaining that a Beta or Alpha releases have bugs (nowadays it seems that Alpha and Beta are almost the same thing or at least are 2 quite similar things! This is like complaining that water wets!

This is actually a stance that I always had: I NEVER purchase Betas (or Alphas), never and ever! When DCS Huey was announced I was thrilled by it (since it is one of my all time favourite helicopters) but did I purchase it when it was Beta? No I didn't! I waited for the "final" release! And the same also applied to DCS:A-10C or DCS:Ka-50.
And this "stance" of mine of course doesn't only apply to DCS, it applies for anything else (or any other game).

So far there was only a somehow of an exception to this which was Star Citizen and even this case was different because I decided to invest on their Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign and since by doing that it allows me to try the Alpha (and later Beta) versions, so I decided to try for personal curiously only (knowing beforehand that I would be full of bugs). And even so it's been almost a year or so that I didn't try/play any Start Citizen Alphas (or whatever current state the game currently is) and even after knowing that many new and cool features have been added in the meanwhile.

The fact is that I simply don't have the time, patience and above all the will to waste my time as a "Pro bono" Beta Tester! If a company wants me to test their games than they should pay me and not the other way around!

#4214231 - 01/07/16 04:01 PM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: Maico]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: Maico
The truth is you posts are all obvious trolls for argument and mudslinging. I have yet to read something of yours that helped someone. Slinging constant mud at ED because you find fault in everything is not going to make you popular. Its just kind of annoying to wake up to it every day. You made a post about what airplane to buy. Then you started another post about how you don't like it. It don't take a genius to figure out you are just after banter and argument.

Yes, I lost my patience with you before. No surprise there.

Maico,

Everyone is entitled to an opinion here...even if you think he's just trolling doesn't give you license to attack him personally. If you did and I missed it...then that's on me and a mistake. Straycat does have some valid points in his posts, it's unfortunate that it gets lost in his delivery and defense of his position.

If anyone feels like they are being insulted personally, or sees a member getting attacked, please use the "contact moderator" button on the offending post so I can take a closer look. It works pretty well since it flags it for a closer look.

Let's put this issue aside for now, and if anyone has anything else to say about the original topic...carry on.

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

#4214281 - 01/07/16 06:16 PM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: Chuck_Owl]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
Originally Posted By: Chuck_Owl
@AgressorBlue

Couldn't resist digging out some old Chappelle Show clips biggrin

"Aaaah! Aaahh you darkness! You black midnight, evil mother****ers! Black magic darkness!"

I was watching that yesterday. Check out Prince's single cover from 2013.

#4214293 - 01/07/16 06:35 PM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: straycat]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I will say this:

If it's not any more difficult to learn A-10C than it is to play CoD: Blacker Ops MCMXII, then why aren't the sales for A-10C similar? Forget consoles, just the PC sales dwarf DCS. It's not that people don't like aviation, because flying in Battlefield and other low-fidelity representations in games are still quite popular.

No, it IS more difficult. You can't learn A-10C in a week unless you spend 2-3 hours a day, every day, for that week and even more on the weekend. At that time you can START to enjoy the A-10. Meanwhile, CoD, BF, blah blah blah allow you to start having fun after about 10-30 mins of learning how it "does things."

Sims can't compete with that and never will. The simming market has shrunk some over the past 2 decades while at the same time the general gaming market has exploded in size. So while it used to be "make $X making a flight sim or $2X making this other game", it's now "make $X making a sim or $8963X making the other type."

The developer has to have ulterior motives to do that because, frankly, it's a bad business decision to just go into sims.
DCS WWII got how much on KS? $150k or so? What did Star Citizen get? Millions?? Because people expect to jump in and fly around like it's an X-Wing or whatever and blow stuff up as they explore a galaxy, but not spend 20 hours learning how to ramp start a spaceship, spool up the navigation system, power up the missile independently, pass a targeting lock from the long-range scanning system to short-range targeting, etc etc. They expect it to be relatively easy and fun to fly. Because for most people complex and fun are antonyms.
I won't include flying X Wings in the new Battlefront because that's pretty much universally described as disappointing by everyone.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4214359 - 01/07/16 09:16 PM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: Jedi Master]  
TankerWade Offline
TankerWade  Offline

Portsmouth, NH
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
I will say this:

If it's not any more difficult to learn A-10C than it is to play CoD: Blacker Ops MCMXII, then why aren't the sales for A-10C similar? Forget consoles, just the PC sales dwarf DCS. It's not that people don't like aviation, because flying in Battlefield and other low-fidelity representations in games are still quite popular.

No, it IS more difficult. You can't learn A-10C in a week unless you spend 2-3 hours a day, every day, for that week and even more on the weekend. At that time you can START to enjoy the A-10. Meanwhile, CoD, BF, blah blah blah allow you to start having fun after about 10-30 mins of learning how it "does things."

Agree completely.

You also have to add the cost of a decent controller setup to this equation. This is an expensive sport compared to the the other gaming genres. Even if you have a stick and throttle you will notice immediately that you are lacking rudder pedals. Yes maybe you can get by without trackIR but once you engage with the community the responses are always "Wait, you don't have a TrackIR?" Even when it is meant in a helpful manner you feel that pressure to get one.

I live in the North East and the flight sim market reminds me of the Ski areas around where I live. They are always struggling to get by in a fickle market with a small customer base catering to a sport with high entry costs. Sound familiar? It's no surprise when a resort goes bankrupt and then inevitably gets purchased by the next idealistic ownership group that their first initiative is to create starter programs to ease the cost of entry and gain new customers. But that rarely pays any dividends and they ultimately realize that the path to success is to cater to the hard core fan base, lower the prices as much as they can, and let them bring the newbies in. Again that should sound familiar.

War Thunder set out with the express purpose of making it free to install and with the configuration choices, eliminate the need for expensive setups. This has mostly worked for them but their flight side has gotten mostly panned by the sim community, calling it Call of Duty Flight, and not unexpectedly.

Personally I think DCS has done a good job of it. For years they released regular sales of their modules to lower costs for entry while steadfastly NOT releasing FC3 level aircraft to pay service to their hard core fan base. Opening this model up to third party devs to release things like the M2000 only shows them the way forward and benefits us.

Yes the Mirage is rough around the edges, but these are the growing pains that have to happen for Devs to develop the experience to not only make modules but learn how to release them to us.

Everybody gets everything they want. I wanted a mission. And for my sins..they gave me one.
#4214433 - 01/08/16 02:10 AM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: straycat]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
I was really trying not to comment on the texture issue (as it has been handled), but as a texture artist complaints about the quality of the texture while his own personal view... Is that straycat has whined about the lack of quality compared to other modules, etc. Back in Flanker 2.0 days the cockpit work was extraordinary, and therefore nothing to complain about of course. Looking at the various screenshots of the M2K doesn't set off my "Looks like #%&*$# bells" and while I'm nowhere near a cockpit artist, I can say that they look good. If me after 15 years can be impressed then you're just whining.

And on that note straycat, why not show them or us how to do better at something if that's all you complain about and so critical of something you yourself cannot do yourself? Not once have I seen one post showing your work versus theirs for anything. Whereas me I can talk #%&*$# about other people's work because after 256 textures for various games and sims (as well as for various clients), I have some room to speak. You? So while yes you're entitled to your opinion got it, but this standard you're trying to enforce and you have nothing to show otherwise is honestly pretty dumb and one of the reasons why nobody agrees with you.

Rant over, I just had to vent.

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#4214445 - 01/08/16 03:12 AM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: EricJ]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Eric,

You of course are entitled to your opinion...but you don't have the right to tell anyone else that they aren't entitled to theirs because they don't have the texture creating/viewing experience that you do. I too have a fair amount of experience looking at textures being in the imaging business for 28 years.

Our 3D team does amazing work on stills and animations that have such a realistic look...it makes the 2.0 engine look cartoonish in some ways. That doesn't mean I'm going to tell someone else how they should perceive an image or scene. Everyone see's things a little different and it's a very perceptive and subjective thing.

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

#4214465 - 01/08/16 04:49 AM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: straycat]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Fair enough, gotcha.

- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#4214513 - 01/08/16 10:35 AM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: straycat]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I think 'straycats' slant on the textures has been between the comparison of various modules?.....

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4214534 - 01/08/16 01:02 PM Re: Mirage first impressions [Re: straycat]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Oh true but it gets under my skin when somebody sits there and dictates, yet has no experience to show otherwise.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.