Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4212384 - 01/02/16 07:33 AM Compare IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad to IL2 Cliffs of Dover?  
Crockett Offline
Crockett  Offline

Oregon
I’m thinking of buying IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad. I have both Rise of Flight and IL-2 Cliffs of Dover and like to fly Rise of Flight far more. It’s not that I don’t like WW2 because I enjoyed the older WW2 sims when they were popular – like European Air War. Also -- I don’t tend to fly with all the realism turned up as I’m not that advanced.

So – considering I’m a gamer rather than a realistic simmer and with that info -- can anyone tell me how IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad compares to IL2 Cliffs of Dover? Since I don’t care for Cliffs of Dover do you think I might be disappointed with IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad -- or should I go for it?

Intel Core i5-750 overclocked to 3.4 Ghz
MSI P55-GD65 Motherboard
8GB Corsair RAM
AMD 480X
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
HDD: 1TB Western Digital
Creative Blaster X-Fi Titanium sound card
850 Watt power supply
24" Samsung Monitor
CH Combat Stick 586 USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB
Track IR 5
Logitech G110 keyboard
Logitech G500 mouse
Windows 10x64 Homw

#4212424 - 01/02/16 12:52 PM Re: Compare IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad to IL2 Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Crockett]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

Well BOS being developed by the same folks that did ROF, it does have some similarities, but also has some differences as well. Based on the info you have provided, I would be inclined to think you would probably like BOS better than Cliffs of Dover.

You did not mention whether your interest was more in MP or SP.
If you compare the SP mode of BOS to ROF, be aware there are some significant differences. Many think they are big shortcomings. The stock campaign that comes with BOS, is not like your typical SP campaign from sims past. Certainly not even like ROF's campaign, or it's career mode. It is more of a groundhog day type of campaign, where one earns level ups and skin unlocks ( for the premium version, for the standard version also equipment unlocks). Buyers of the Premium version can unlock all equipment unlocks by pressing a button to unlock them. They added that option for the Premium buyers after all the pushback on this system when it was released, primarily from the MP crowd.

Now there also is PWCG for BOS, don't know if you ever used this excellent campaign generator from Pat Wilson for ROF, but he has now done it for BOS as well - mainly do to the desire for something better than the stock campaign type system. So for the SP community there is something much better now, for those that desire more of a traditional style of campaign system.

So I would say if you are pretty happy with ROF, you would be happy with BOS, just be aware that it is not quite the same. It does have Normal and Expert play settings, and in the Normal which is pretty simple, one can go in and turn on individual settings to customize it somewhere between Normal and Expert.
It also does not have quite as extensive a controller setup menu or graphics setup menu as ROF has, more of a simpler approach to these selections.

Also flying the planes, does take some learning and getting use to the individual planes. But if you are used to ROF you are probably already familiar with that aspect.

Good luck,

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4212457 - 01/02/16 02:48 PM Re: Compare IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad to IL2 Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Crockett]  
JagerNeun Offline
JagerNeun  Offline

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
+1 with dburne's observations...

I enjoy the heck out of CLoD as well...but I haven't played it in a long time....enjoying BOS/BOM at the moment. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

#4212667 - 01/03/16 04:02 AM Re: Compare IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad to IL2 Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Crockett]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted By: Crockett
So – considering I’m a gamer rather than a realistic simmer...

I would say that BoS site firmly in the game bracket rather than simulation. With the introduction of more and more gamey features, power ups, mouse aim etc etc you would seem to be the market the developers are looking for.
However, as others have said SP is missing a great deal straight out of the box. There is a third party app that will hopefully generate more sales and hopefully save the title. Time will tell on that.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4212706 - 01/03/16 10:02 AM Re: Compare IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad to IL2 Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Crockett]  
Ami7b5 Offline
Ami7b5  Offline

At the price now (sale) you won't go wrong with BoS IMHO...

If you're close, get closer.
#4213177 - 01/04/16 09:57 PM Re: Compare IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad to IL2 Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Crockett]  
Crockett Offline
Crockett  Offline

Oregon
I bought the premium edition! It took all night to download so I've probably got a slow internet connection but I fly single player anyway!

I've flown two quick missions so far -- if you could call it that -- because I crashed within minutes on both. Beautiful graphics!!! Now I've got to learn how to configure my joystick & throttle -- fun ahead!

Thanks for your replies -- it helped me to make the decision to but it! Happy so far!!!

Crockett

Intel Core i5-750 overclocked to 3.4 Ghz
MSI P55-GD65 Motherboard
8GB Corsair RAM
AMD 480X
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
HDD: 1TB Western Digital
Creative Blaster X-Fi Titanium sound card
850 Watt power supply
24" Samsung Monitor
CH Combat Stick 586 USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB
Track IR 5
Logitech G110 keyboard
Logitech G500 mouse
Windows 10x64 Homw

#4213931 - 01/06/16 09:12 PM Re: Compare IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad to IL2 Cliffs of Dover? [Re: Crockett]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It will take some time to get used to the plane handling, and you'll get TO's down well before you get landings down. I'm fine taking off overloaded in bad weather, but I still prang on landing a pristine empty bird in clear weather WAY too much. smile

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter

Moderated by  CyBerkut 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.