Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
#4211861 - 12/31/15 06:01 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: bones]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Star Wars box office compared to others. Both adjusted and non-adjusted for inflation.

http://deadline.com/2015/12/star-wars-bo...ion-1201673871/

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4211865 - 12/31/15 06:08 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: oldgrognard]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
Star Wars box office compared to others. Both adjusted and non-adjusted for inflation.

http://deadline.com/2015/12/star-wars-bo...ion-1201673871/

It will most likely pass "Avatar" for all time highest box office unless it has a big drop in the next couple of weekends.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4211920 - 12/31/15 07:51 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: bonchie
I understand why she was there, but I bet she isn't a big player going forward. She looked like it was a chore just to talk. I don't know what physical issues she's gone through (wasn't she a drug addict?) but they've taken their toll.

Yes, she had major issues with drug and alcohol abuse in the 80's and early 90's.

"I slept with some nerd. I hope it was George. I took too many drugs to remember."
- Carrie Fisher in a Vanity Fair interview when asked how she got the part in Star Wars

(She was probably kidding, of course).

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 12/31/15 07:51 PM.
#4211922 - 12/31/15 07:55 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna

(She was probably kidding, of course).

About the sleeping with a nerd part.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4212704 - 01/03/16 09:25 AM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: bones]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

Didn't want to start a new thread:

So Rey is Han Solo's daughter?

I think she is because at the end of the movie, Leia hugged her like she was hugging her own daughter and like she knew Rey from before.

Even the folks at Glamour magazine she appeared in are kind of saying it:

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/3n575j80xwhrsdy9vjw5grlvoxzv07a4

http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/news/celebrity/2015/11/26/daisy-ridley-glamour-magazine-cover-2015

Seriously?

They couldn't find a better spot outside of "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" that was not next to a trash dumpster screwy for Daisy Jazz Isobel Ridley to sign autographs ???

Truly A Star is Born!!

Only one Star Wars 1977 cast member became an international superstar: Harrison Ford

If Miss Ridley chooses her post Star Wars films roles wisely and keeps her off screen personal life clean and professional, she may very well become the next Harrison Ford.

I wish her more than 15 minutes of fame for many years to come.

thumbsup

#4212864 - 01/03/16 11:27 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: bones]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Went and saw the movie for the 2nd time today. Just as good the 2nd time! First movie I've done that with since high school (Die Hard and Lethal Weapon at the dollar movies!). Caught some things I missed.

I think Rey is Luke's daughter, but it's possible she and Rylo were twins. She got left on the planet, and was waiting for her family to return, so I don't know. Could be another Leia story copy.

They say Kylo was lured away to the dark side and I could swear they said a name that was NOT Snoke (Supreme Leader) but started with an S, and I thought they referred to that person as a "she". Could be wrong. Could be another apprentice out there, I'm not convinced Rylo is really what Snoke would consider his apprentice/2nd Sith. Seems the rule of no more than 2 Sith has been tossed away, as it should.

I'm still glad to see light sabers brought down a few notches in power. They were out of control in the prequels.

On Finn and his fights, both times he's called a traitor first. I think that shocked him and he felt ashamed in the fight with the storm trooper. Later, the fight with Kylo, he was a "proud" traitor and had no misgivings. Plus I don't think Kylo, at least at this point, is remotely as powerful as Vader was. I think that's his shame. Not the swordsman, not as powerful in the Force. Clearly Rey is already almost his equal in both areas without real training. Kylo kept hitting his gunshot wound, I think for the pain to bolster his Force powers. He just doesn't have it on his own yet.

As for Max von Sydow's Lor San Tekka character, I assume he'll be a long lost Jedi, or similar Light-side acolyte that was close to Luke.

I'm sure a lot of seeds are being sown that we won't really know much about until the spinoff movies flesh things out more.

Red One was taken out. Quickly mentioned, but I wonder if that will have significance later in the Rogue Squadron movie? I hope Poe gets more screen time.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4213120 - 01/04/16 07:55 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: W-Molders]  
Duchess Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Duchess  Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')

Ontariariooo
Originally Posted By: W-Molders
Originally Posted By: similan
Originally Posted By: W-Molders
hated it..

5. Finn and whats her name are like saber experts .... enough to fight a Sith master who is in charge of armies.

7. Kinda PC with Finn.. you know hes going to fall in love with whats her name in the next installment for that Hollywood 'mixed couple' thing.

migraine kicking in? lol

It has gotten you that upset you called her "whats her name". The character name is Rey. If it had been Poe or Chewbacca would you still be this upset? Just a little? No, wait, young Rey with a white 80-year-old Han next to hydraulic arm wrapped in aryan flag? Yeah!

kinda PC...? Dude, it'll be 2016. It's been this way a while. It's just love and in this case, it ain't even real. boink boink duh!

------------

As for the movie, I took my 11 yr old daughter and we loved it. I looked a couple of times at my daughter to see if she was enjoying it, and once I was sure that she was, the movie had my complete attention. My only expectation was to be entertained and ep VII entertained the crap outta me. Did not even notice the plot holes while watching it. Now that I think about it, sure, quite a few things could have been better written but when was the last time a sci-fi movie got everything right? Even Europa Report must have messed up a little and they consulted people from NASA.

Movies are supposed to be ridiculous and hopefully entertaining. Ep VII is ridiculously entertaining. People gripe about Rey sudden power but are ok with the fact that a lightsaber beam is so hot it can cut through just about anything, but can't burn through its hilt or the owner's hand, face, cloaks etc? They are wielding it around inches from one another. Not to mention a real beam would not be solid and would be forever long. Hello, where's the tip going? Jedi would be parrying and poking each other from another galaxy. And why use lightsabers when you can just toss sh!t at one another. mmm?

I stand by my statements 100%

I won't even bother seeing this movie because of the PC angle. They just axed the entire expanded universe, rehashed the original, removed white men from the leading roles and Social Justice warriors rejoice.

To me it seems like another Star Trek reboot with more CGI.

#4213121 - 01/04/16 07:58 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: bones]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I really doubt that Boyega was cast because of his skin color and besides, he turned out to be quite good in the role regardless.

Seriously, does anyone here think that Billy Dee Williams was cast in ESB simply because of his skin color? If not then why is it any different with Boyega?

I think it's a disingenuous arguement.

It is very true though that "Force Awakens" used the same basic plot from "A New Hope".

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/04/16 07:59 PM.

#4213126 - 01/04/16 08:11 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: bones]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

I wouldn't rule it out, it's Disney- the middle of the road corporate approach is to be PC. I just don't care insofar as the character was boring. I'll explain why it works better with a character like Billy D Williams as Lando down below if there is any racial intention to it.

Here is something that the geeks at Disney won't get right- the love story. This character would not be attractive to the female lead, that's not how women are, but the series will obviously play the romance up.

It doesn't work this way, his character immediately shows his entire hand, that never gets the girl. The way attraction works is like a game of poker- whomever has a tell and shows their cards loses, or they are at an inherent disadvantage. The other person knows they've already won with less effort, and that's definitely a no-no for women. This guy reveals his feelings through his actions and his words immediately, too easy, needy, clingy, like he never gets girls, like every awkward male character in every rom-com.

He should be more unclear and indifferent with his feelings. In other words, the most wise dating advice that anyone can give is to play hard to get (if a person isn't naturally already that way) That makes a person higher value in the other person's eyes.

Females are biologically programmed to want to nurture feelings out of men- if men give their feelings away too easy, the females won't want them. They don't want men following them around like love sick puppy dogs, they want to earn the guy's admiration and feelings and bring them out. Imagine the analogy to a plant- women like the process of falling love as they like nurturing a seed into a plant. It's a process that takes time. Give the plant away upfront, the woman has nothing to work for. In evolutionary biological terms, that probably means to the female that the man's genetics are of lower value and would produce lower value offspring.

So this explains why women swoon over rogue-ish, independent bad boys like Han Solo, or prefer a smooth talking ladies man like Lando.

Han Solo is on the move and on the go, he's a challenge, he's a catch.

Lando behaves like he gets women all the time, he comes off experienced, comfortable being around and talking with women, and he has other options with women. Even if Leia rejected him, there are billions of other women in the galaxy where that came from, so he has no anxiety about that.

Both of these are different ways of going about the same problem.

This boy acts like he's never seen a girl before and he never sees them, so he falls in love immediately with the first girl he sees. Wrong. Low value.

#4213128 - 01/04/16 08:18 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: bones]  
Duchess Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Duchess  Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')

Ontariariooo
Quote:
you look around that room and you see the whitest #%&*$# room in the history of time. Its just unbelievably white. And I just thought, were casting this show and we have an opportunity to do anything we want, why not cast the show with actors of color?

JJ Abrams revealing how he chose actors for the color of their skin, not for who he thought were the best actors or actresses. These preferences flowed into gender as well.

Form the horse's mouth.

I don't want to slide this discussion away from the movie proper, but if this a-hole thinks he can just trample all over someone else's work, and insult me while doing it... Well he won't see a single penny from me, that's for sure.

#4213129 - 01/04/16 08:22 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: Duchess]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Duchess
Quote:
…you look around that room and you see the whitest #%&*$# room in the history of time. It’s just unbelievably white. And I just thought, we’re casting this show and we have an opportunity to do anything we want, why not cast the show with actors of color?

— JJ Abrams revealing how he chose actors for the color of their skin, not for who he thought were the best actors or actresses. These preferences flowed into gender as well.

Form the horse's mouth.

I don't want to slide this discussion away from the movie proper, but if this a-hole thinks he can just trample all over someone else's work, and insult me while doing it... Well he won't see a single penny from me, that's for sure.

Thanks for posting that quote from JJ. Admittedly I had not seen it before and it does change my view on the casting.

As for "trampling all over someone else's work" I guess George Lucas didn't care about that since he voluntarily sold his ownership of the franchise to Disney for 4 billion dollars.

$$$$ Talks.

#4213134 - 01/04/16 08:34 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: bones]  
Duchess Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Duchess  Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')

Ontariariooo
Yeah,

I guess I'm just really salty about the whole thing.

I grew up on Star Wars. I would say almost literally. I watched the originals more times than you could count. It was almost a religion to me, I read all the expanded universe novels, I even had those big books that you could buy that tell the back story to X-Wing and TIE-Fighter.

Lucas just sold the thing away to the Hollywood propaganda mill.

Doesn't really bother me much anymore because I've really come to realize that maybe our lives are better spent not watching fictional/fantasy movies anyway. There's so much to worry about in the world, the last thing I want to do is throw money at Hollywood to numb me for 2 hours.

I make an effort to get my kids to play outside, help me fix the cars, build stuff, play Lego etc.

#4213138 - 01/04/16 08:40 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: bones]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
I have a question - does the fact that the main NewJedi is female, and her sidekick/friend black, in any way detract from the movie?

I also fail to see how this movie tramples all over someone's work. To me it was a homage to the original Star Wars movies while also setting a bit of a path for itself. The prequel trilogy did more trampling over the original trilogy.

#4213143 - 01/04/16 08:53 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: bones]  
Duchess Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Duchess  Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')

Ontariariooo
It does for me.

Casting a movie based on political correctness or 'diversity' while insulting my race and expecting me to pay my hard earned dollars for it definitely sours things.

It's not just trampling all over the movies, there's almost 30 years of various work that went into the Star Wars universe that is now null and void for Disney to exploit.

#4213144 - 01/04/16 08:53 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: bones]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yeah, it's better if you spend those two hours worrying about all the problems in the world as well as all the hours before and after it...why exactly? Your extra 2 hours of worry will contribute what? Fantasy in film, books, and other media was always about escapism. To say escapism is wrong is ignoring the human condition. It existed thousands of years before Hollywood existed.

However, I find your insistence that Star Wars needs to about white males disturbing. He never said he turned down the best actors to make sure he got a diverse field. Why? Because there's no such thing as "best actor" for a role that is being created fresh. We're not talking about making a new Han Solo film and casting Kevin Hart as Solo. The Rebellion had non-humans like the Mon Cal and Sullustans, and that's ok, but too many females or non-whites is somehow "betraying" the original intentions?? confused Or is it just betraying YOUR idea of what it should be?

There is literally nothing about Star Wars that required white male dominance, it was happenstance between the state of acting in the UK at the time (where it was filmed) and Hollywood (where there were relatively few non-white actors and they mostly appeared in roles designed for them as opposed to competing with white actors for the same roles).

Considering Star Wars grew to a global audience in the following decades, and that the majority of this planet are NOT white males, it seems really odd to complain about it.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4213150 - 01/04/16 08:58 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: bones]  
M@verick Offline
XBL: GrizzlyBear83 PSN: GrizzlyBear1983
M@verick  Offline
XBL: GrizzlyBear83 PSN: GrizzlyBear1983

Gothenburg, Sweden
So they diversified the cast. Big deal? And where did they insult Caucasian males? I didn't feel insulted at all.

Last edited by M@verick; 01/04/16 09:02 PM.

Xbox Live: GrizzlyBear83
PSN: GrizzlyBear1983
#4213156 - 01/04/16 09:18 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: bones]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

They're just boring characters- I don't care so much about the race dynamics.

The genius of the first three films was the balance of characters, there seemed to be more chemistry. I don't sense it the same way. Han Solo and Luke Skywalker bounced off each other (let's assume the scenario that the brother-sister Skywalker relationship doesn't exist or is unknown to the audience)- the rivarly for Leia's attention worked better because Luke and Han are different characters.

With this, I don't see it at all, just the more approval seeking awkwardness of the male lead versus the independence of the female (should be the other way around, folks, not to beat a dead horse, but that's the way it is).

There seems to a be a lot of the connections drawn to A New Hope, but this is where it could have looked like a New Hope, since Fin resembles Luke Skywalker more, they could have used a second, younger Han Solo-ish character, because that's who Ren is going to be interested in more- like that ace X-Wing fighter pilot from the beginning working with Fin, that would be a better candidate. You almost get the sense that Ren is attracted to Han Solo in one of the scenes, which still makes far better sense than Fin (it's not about looks, it's about the different vibe these characters give off).

#4213160 - 01/04/16 09:25 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: Mechanus]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted By: Mechanus

With this, I don't see it at all, just the more approval seeking awkwardness of the male lead versus the independence of the female (should be the other way around, folks, not to beat a dead horse, but that's the way it is).

Seriously? Guy grows up in a super structured environment with superiors telling him what to do, when to do, and how to do it constantly, and he's not expected to go into culture shock when that environment changes?

Meanwhile, girl is left on desert planet at a very, very young age with a "guardian" of dubious quality who forces her to fend for herself, and she's not going to be independent and know how to fend for herself?

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#4213162 - 01/04/16 09:28 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: bones]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Serious as a heart attack, absolutely. It doesn't matter why- come off 'desperate' or over eager like that, IT WILL NOT WORK. You're thinking logically for the reason he behaves the way he does, as if women's feelings work like that. Attraction is not a choice, so women don't 'choose' to be attracted to a male just because it's justified that way.

Don't believe me? It's an experiment you can try yourself, go ahead and do it. Within a few minutes of meeting a girl, act like the way he does. Go ahead and try it and see if she likes you.

She even says 'quit grabbing my hand like that' which is actually smart, because no girl is going to do this.

#4213163 - 01/04/16 09:31 PM Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Discussions with Spoilers for Those Who Have seen It [Re: bones]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
Yeah, I don't see any issue with the casting from a race or gender perspective. Should blacks have been insulted that the original didn't have any blacks cast? Should Hispanics and Asians be insulted that they're not in any of them as major characters?

They're just fictional characters, and in the case of the new cast, the only thing that makes sense as far as race goes is if someone is related to someone else, you need to show that (you couldn't make Finn Han and Leia's biological son, for example). I really don't get how that's an issue in this movie, and white men were still well represented (Poe, Kylo, Han, and at the end, Luke, not to mention much of the Empire, er, New Order).

The main issue I really had with the movie was it's similarity to the original in story.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.