Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4209356 - 12/23/15 07:09 PM More people lack common sense...  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
LINK

Idaho cafeteria worker fired for giving hungry student a free lunch

Quote:
A cafeteria worker at an Idaho middle school gave a free lunch to a 12-year-old student who said she was hungry, but the school district fired her Monday for her actions, the Idaho State Journal reported.

Dalene Bowden said the Irving Middle School student didn't have any money to pay for the hot lunch. The cost: $1.70.

The Pocatello/Chubbuck School District reportedly placed Bowden on leave Dec. 15 before deciding to fire her. She said she offered to pay for the lunch herself, but her supervisor said no.

Are the schools that hard up that they decide to fire someone for doing the right thing, so many kids only eat at school because their parents don't have money and barely eat at home. The school couldn't eat $1.70 for an 12 yr old to have a crappy school lunch... banghead

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4209360 - 12/23/15 07:17 PM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I completely agree that the decision to fire her was not justified.

Having said that, I think the concern from the school district is that if an exception is made for one child then they will have to do the same for every other child that can't afford their lunch.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4209364 - 12/23/15 07:29 PM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Wait, is there no more free/reduced lunch for poorer kids? My wife was one who never paid full price for lunch (which was $0.75, IIRC), does this program not still exist?

I don't have children. On the record I don't care much for kids or to be around them, but what we donate for children's charities (major and local) would say otherwise (maybe an atonement?). Like guns, I'm not comfortable talking about it (unlike sex, weird eh?).

But this firing seems ridiculous! I'm guessing this isn't a small town? Is there more to the story we don't know about?

#4209366 - 12/23/15 07:34 PM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Mark, I don't know about idaho, but I know NH had that back when my wife was going to school and I was the only one working. What's stupid is they wouldn't even let the lady pay for it with her own money. Do the RIGHT thing!

#4209402 - 12/23/15 09:04 PM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
The parents at that school need to speak out. What if it was their hungry child?

And what's the cafe worker supposed to do- stare down a hungry kid and refuse the kid food? That's not just wrong, it's 'burn in hell' wrong.

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4209430 - 12/23/15 11:23 PM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Meh, they have reduced and free lunches for at risk kids. The school doesn't exist as a charity, as much as you may disagree with that.

Firing them over it was really overkill (I suspect other issues were at play here as is so often the case with these clickbaity news stories) but she shouldn't have done it. It sets a definite precedent, and considering taxes are paying for the supplies the school has there are alternatives for food aid to at risk households versus having fun with auditors if it gets out of hand.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4209431 - 12/23/15 11:27 PM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
jack72 Offline
jack72  Offline

Toronto
It's Idaho...they should just give them a potato and send them on their way.

- I know those voices in my head are not real, but man they have some good ideas.

- I never killed anyone, but I have read a large number of obituaries with great satisfaction.

- If I cannot make it to your funeral, I will certainly send a message indicating my approval.

- Most of my Friends are Imaginary

- Time is money, so I decided to sell my watch.
#4209432 - 12/23/15 11:35 PM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
brownba Offline
brownba  Offline

First of all, it's not the cafeteria workers decision to give away food. She should have taken the issue to her supervisor or whomever the school administrators are. Remember, if you give people an inch they will take a mile. Next thing you know everyone is asking for free handouts. Secondly, going hungry for one afternoon isn't going to hurt the kid at all. Perhaps it will teach her a lesson to remember to bring her money or food the next day. If her family is too poor to feed the kid then DHS needs to get involved.

#4209433 - 12/23/15 11:51 PM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

lol brownba, nice to see some good Christian charity this Christmas. Give away a meal, and next you know, it's welfare armageddon! biggrin

#4209435 - 12/24/15 12:03 AM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

There are plenty of reasons why a kid wouldn't have the lunch money even if his/her family isn't poor. Parents spending their money on alcohol or drugs (loads and loads of cases just don't come to the attention of relevant authorities unless we'd install CCTV in everyone's house), bullies stealing it, etc. Acting like this over less than twelve bucks is a #%&*$# thing to do, end of story.

#4209437 - 12/24/15 12:07 AM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Sad. Kid's Dad doesn't give a crap if his kid is hungry, but bet he has an X-box and hundred's of dollars worth of tattoos. Mom probably doesn't care much either, because the kid is just a paycheck to her. Bet she has lots of tattoos, jewelry, nice cloths, new I-phone, hair and nails are the latest so she can continue to 'date' as many guys as possible. Probably pays more attention to her social media life, then her own child. Some poor cafeteria worker who sees this crap everyday takes pity on a hungry kid (who already is supposed to be getting government assistance, but Mom spends on herself) and gives her some food. Now she loses her job. The school district will have to spend all kinds of money on this issue now. I am all in favor of "you breed them, you feed them', but too many 'parents' just don't care. Too many kids today don't have a chance in hell, because of their 'parents. rant-on-off

#4209442 - 12/24/15 12:24 AM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
It's fascinating how much you can read from a single headline written in clickbait style.

I'm not saying that the scenario you described doesn't exist somewhere, but do you even have a single shred of evidence for anything that your wrote above, aside from:

1) A kid told a cafeteria worker that it was hungry and didn't have the money
2) The cafeteria worker gave the kid a free meal
3) The cafeteria worker was fired

Everything else seems to be wild speculation.

#4209445 - 12/24/15 12:29 AM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
It's sad when employers don't value a person's job more than this. Firing a person is a very serious thing, but these days it happens all too easily. It's a person's LIVELIHOOD.
You don't fire a person over something like this. Even if a flood of kids wanting a free meal resulted, even if you claim "it's like stealing to give away a meal", you don't fire someone for something like this. It is NOT the same as skimming from the register, common sense tells you this. You reprimand, teach, learn and move on. Perhaps adjust policies or create programs to fill the gap that's been exposed. Firing should be taken much more seriously.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4209447 - 12/24/15 12:37 AM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Fair enough. Speculation, maybe. I have several family members that are teachers, or work for schools in many different positions (including cafeteria workers). They see the scenario I described all the time. I guess a community forum can be a place for wild speculation.

#4209448 - 12/24/15 12:38 AM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Mind you, I'm absolutely with you (firing someone is a very serious thing that shouldn't be done lightheartedly). But how much do we actually know about the case?
How much information do we have about the worker's track record in the cafeteria? Maybe there are other incidents that aren't being made public.

I mean, maybe the employers are all inconsiderate sociopaths. But it's just as well possible that what's written in the article isn't the full story either. Our brains are wired to "fill in the blanks" of any message that we receive in the attempt to create a consistent story. But just because we can imagine a coherent story, even if it's a plausible one, that doesn't mean that it's true. All I'm saying is that there may be more to the story than what we are being told.

Last edited by Ssnake; 12/24/15 12:39 AM.
#4209453 - 12/24/15 12:47 AM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
True enough, could have been just a kid who forgot their lunch money that day. I guess it's all the stories I hear about kids coming to school in the winter with ho boots, no gloves, no hats, etc.. The parents that just don't give a crap about their kids is staggering. The neglect that is so prevalent makes me think the worst.

#4209455 - 12/24/15 12:52 AM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
brownba Offline
brownba  Offline

Most likely there is more to the story than being reported. This is probably going to turn out like Ahmed the "clock" builder story.

#4209459 - 12/24/15 01:11 AM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
oselisan
Unregistered

The administration (whatever it is whether University, Government or Company) could either be a good friend or worst enemy. When it is your worst enemy don't discount the possibility that it is someone inside and not the system which is targeting you.

I really hated my study at a certain university. but for some reason, I couldn't chastise the system because as an entity, the University was very kind to me. There were many times the system could've screwed me over but for some reason, it bent over whenever it could. If someone inside that administration targeted me it would be very easy to really screw me up.

There are similar stories I've read and only one thing comes to mind. There is a lot going on behind the scenes.

p.s. I wish people would stop calling it "common" sense when it is really not that common.

Last edited by oselisan; 12/24/15 01:11 PM.
#4209461 - 12/24/15 01:12 AM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Hmm...maybe I don't dislike children so much, it's their jerk-off parents I can't stand. Avoiding kids (whenever possible) allows me to avoid their parents. smile

While in high school, I worked as a cashier in a grocery store. Several kids would come through my line, each with a single piece of bubble gum and a $1.00 food stamp. Each kid would receive $0.97 in change with their purchase and leave the store. A few minutes later, here comes daddy to buy cheap wine and a pack of smokes with change. LOL! Over time you get to know the biggest abusers of the system but what can you do?

I don't believe paper welfare is used anymore, I think it's a card now, but I'm sure there's new ways of not providing for your family.

Great lessons to teach your kids, I wonder if that bubble gum counted for a meal?

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4209552 - 12/24/15 08:32 AM Re: More people lack common sense... [Re: Top Gun]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Idea for a countryballs cartoon:

In Soviet Latvia, dream of bubblegum can substitute potato and turnip.

But of do not the mention!
Talk of bubblegum is of winnings extended stay at Siberian Holiday Inn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.