Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4208021 - 12/19/15 10:54 PM Map Question  
hootowl Offline
hootowl  Offline

I'm very new to this sim, but find it absolutely riveting. I'm finding it difficult to navigate via the map that comes up when you press "M", and tried the mod of this map, which I'm also finding it difficult to navigate by. I was looking through the files and found that the map that displays in WOFF (for mission briefings and what not) is located as a bmp in the uires/maps folder labeled "alt_low" I was wondering if any of you have tried to convert this map to DDS and replaced the in flight map (map_background) with this much better resolution version?

#4208049 - 12/20/15 01:01 AM Re: Map Question [Re: hootowl]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

hootowl, welcome to the WOFF virtual skies and to the forum! Agreed that this sim is riveting indeed, and you'll find that it stays riveting long after other sims have gone a bit stale. To your wondering about the in-sim map, yes, it has been tried numerous times to swap it out with a high res version with better detail but to no avail. The flight map would have to be so large as to be nearly unloadable. However, there is an alternative in the standalone maps I've been building for the last year, which you can either print out in usable sizes or better yet load them on a second computer or laptop and use them as your 'in cockpit' map as you fly on your main computer. I have just finished up the Alsace region and will be adding it to the current set very soon. You can download said set from the User Mods page on the WOFF website and here is the link:

WOFF Map Set

After you have the file downloaded and unpacked look through the 'read me' and have a go.

Happy navigating hootowl. Oh, and new lads buy the drinks! cheers

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4208151 - 12/20/15 01:11 PM Re: Map Question [Re: hootowl]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

hootowl welcome. As Lou says this has been asked about a lot. The map currently covers a huge chunk of Europe down to switzerland and a large part of England on 1 map it's a very large file and once you start to make a new one you'll soon see how tricky it is to make it better.

It would need a fair bit of work to have a different system so at this stage it is what it is.
RAF_Louvert's maps are extraordinary in effort and quality so try using those as he suggests!

Lou does the WOFF Map Set have the latest in on our website user page? If not let me know.

All the best.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4208213 - 12/20/15 05:22 PM Re: Map Question [Re: Polovski]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Polovski
hootowl welcome. As Lou says this has been asked about a lot. The map currently covers a huge chunk of Europe down to switzerland and a large part of England on 1 map it's a very large file and once you start to make a new one you'll soon see how tricky it is to make it better.

It would need a fair bit of work to have a different system so at this stage it is what it is.
RAF_Louvert's maps are extraordinary in effort and quality so try using those as he suggests!

Lou does the WOFF Map Set have the latest in on our website user page? If not let me know.

All the best.

Well, I'll jump in here just in case Lou is busy. In answer to your question Pol, Lou is just finishing up the Alsace maps before re-issuing an update to the "WOFF Map Set". I believe he intends to issue a version of the Alsace for each year but currently he has only issued one year. I suspect Lou will clarify this in more detail if required.

Cheers

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4208266 - 12/20/15 08:30 PM Re: Map Question [Re: hootowl]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Thanks Robert

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4208317 - 12/21/15 12:35 AM Re: Map Question [Re: hootowl]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Thank you Robert, and you are quite right. At this point I have situation maps for the entire Western Front from January 1915 through July 1918. I am hoping to have the final periods completed and the set available by Christmas. Pol, I will be sure to send you the completed set for the User Mods page just as soon as I have it wrapped up.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4208338 - 12/21/15 02:20 AM Re: Map Question [Re: hootowl]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Hootowl, welcome! This is an incredible sim, as you are already starting to find out. Lou's maps are fantastic. Using them on a second screen while you fly missions will only add to the immersion for you!

Enjoy!

Harry

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4208659 - 12/21/15 08:50 PM Re: Map Question [Re: hootowl]  
hootowl Offline
hootowl  Offline

Thanks all! Unfortunately I don't have a second monitor to use, so I had to print and cut out and tape together one of the maps last night, in order to get the print even close to legible. I haven't flown since I was a kid, my dad's whole office had Knights of the Sky and had printed out the squadron emblems in sheets to share the one copy between everyone. I missed out on the golden age of sims like RB3D, because my computer of the time couldn't handle them. But recently my interest in early aviation (if it was built after '45 I don't really care about it) has renewed, so I got myself a Logitech extreme 3d pro to start (with the hopes of upgrading to some FFB stick and other peripherals) and what I've read to be the top three (and only currently supported) WWI flight sims (RoF, WOFF, and FE2) I haven't dabbled in FE2 much yet, am loving the immersion of WOFF even if I haven't figured it all out yet, and find RoF to have a great and challenging FM but ultimately lacking in immersion (plus with that flight model, my careers tend to last a day or two, with either ugly stall crashes on landing/takeoff, wing shredding on dives, or blasted out of the sky by an EA). It's a tough learning curve, but I'm loving every second of it!

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM