Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 47 1 2 3 4 46 47
#4205646 - 12/13/15 06:06 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
That is a clever thing anyway. You don't want to end crushed under your weight bar. Hard to tell from the pics but I assume you have the ends unscrewed, so you could ditch weight?

Problem with body weight is it only gets you so far. I really wish I had a Butterfly machine, since breast muscles are hard to work with just pushups.

Oh, and well done on the before/after pic. That is already impressive.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4205722 - 12/14/15 12:52 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4205751 - 12/14/15 03:48 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
RSColonel_131st, I use bar collars so I can't ditch any weight, I assume if I need to I can roll 120 lbs. off of me. smile I might not chance it with more weight but I'm pretty careful, if I'm not feeling it I'll take a couple of weights off the bar for the third set, especially if I'm not being spotted.

In the pic I have 4 x 15 lbs. + 4 x 10 lbs. + 10 lbs. bar = 110 lbs., I've since bumped it up another 10 lbs. to 120 lbs. (6 x 15 lbs. + 2 x 10 lbs. + 10 lbs. bar = 120 lbs.).

I try to keep good form, breathing and speed (not bouncing the bar off my chest) with each exercise, from what I've read and from watching videos. I'm more responsible for exercise stuff, my wife focuses more on what we eat and learning how to cook healthier when she has time.

For butterflys I just lay on my back on the bench and use dumbbells.

2016 is the last full year I'll be in my 40s so I'm feeling a bit of urgency to once and for all put weight loss behind me and work on keeping a proper size (mainly waist) and fitness, regardless of weight.

++++++++++

Timothy, very nice! thumbsup Was hoping for something new though. smile If the opportunity presents itself...

++++++++++

So this evening we were going over the numbers. In each bag and the bowl (snack-size bags, SimHQ coffee mug used for reference)...

Almonds: 1/4 cup 170 cal.
Walnuts: 1/4 cup 190 cal.
Raisins: 1/4 cup 120 cal.
Pumpkin Seeds: 1/8 cup 90 cal.
----------
Total: 570 cal. per bowl or bag

(Optional: mixed nuts [cashews, pistachios, almonds, pecans] + pumpkin seeds, same size and calories).

We figure I've been eating about 2 1/2 bags per day, one small bowl (pictured) after lunch plus continuous snacking throughout the day. That's at least 1400 cal./day of just snacking! eek

Now I'm going to pace myself with only a bag per day, I think that'll be a good start.

++++++++++

I'm going to try for now on to include alternate measurements in my posts, maybe something like: lbs. (kg). Or is it stone?

EDIT: Oops, I forgot to include Brazil nuts (2/day for prostate health, add 60 cal.).

Attached Files DSCF4339.jpg
#4205754 - 12/14/15 04:07 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by RSColonel_131st
My fridge is basically empty. There's two cans of beer inside and some dark chocolate.

I'll reply more in depth as I make time, currently damn busy.

Forgot to mention, I loves me a little dark chocolate, our typical desert. 70% is as high as we can tolerate.

Attached Files DSCF2125.jpg
Last edited by MarkG; 03/03/17 04:00 AM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4205793 - 12/14/15 09:28 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
1400kcal from snacks? I made do yesterday on 1200 total wink I slept long and it was a slow day, but definitely you don't want 1400 from just snacks.

Have a look into tried or pickled vegetables (tomatos, chilli peppers, cucumbers). I posted in the "Dinner" thread that I like to match five or six dried tomatoes with a spoon of chilli-infused olive oil and another spoon of Balsamico vinegar, which is a great taste combination and has less than 100kcal per portion. Always having a glass of water at hand also helps, you can make your own soda. If the craving for something sweet hits I also can do with a can of Coke Zero (not super healthy but no kcal either).

To give you an idea how my kcal intake looks trough the last four weeks:

Day1: 1400
Day2: 1400
Day3: 2000
Day4: 1400
Day5: 1400
Day6: 2000
Day7: 1600

So, I average 1600/day on every week, I can move the high days around a little of course. This loses me about a pound per week, sustainable. Remember, you need 7000kcal deficit to burn one kilogram of fat.

A typical 1400 day can be: A doughnut in the morning (200kcal and stupid, but I need chocolate), 800kcal for lunch (that's for example a large kepab or a good helping from the buffet at the company eatery), 100kcal protein bar in the afternoon as snack, some fruits or vegetables in the evening and some dark chocolate before bed.

It's not awesome living but it isn't exactly suffering either. For me the trick was to break with the traditional "three meals a day" programming we all grow up with. If your idea of happyness is a waffles, bacon and egg breakfest with a nice burger at lunch and a bowl of Csoup in the evening then you're having 2500+ kcal every day and unless you're a construction worker or training for a thriathlon you simply won't burn this.

I would love to raise my base metabolism rate but without more cardio it won't happen, and I need to make time for that. Desk jobs and sleeping long on the weekends, no outdoor stuff because of temperature doesn't help. Might switch one weight day per week for one more cardio day. I have a Crosstrainer at home, or can go for some HIT circle.

As for chocolate, I use almost the same Lindt chocolate, but mine is labelled "70% Mild". Check if you can find it, it's again more bearable than the 70% full dark.

Problem with the Milky Stuff is that half a pack isn't even enough in one go, whereas the dark one I can live of one or two pieces as in your picture.

Very happy today since even after two "strong" eating days Friday/Saturday I'm well below 80 this morning, so right on target. Gonna keep discipline for a week more to buffer against Christmas cookies... then go for 1800 avg and increase cardio.

#4205870 - 12/14/15 03:20 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
RSColonel_131st, I just wanted to clarify that my 1400 cal. of snacking is all coming from healthy unsalted nuts (except pumpkin seeds with Celtic Sea Salt) and raisins. In addition to the small glass bowl (equivalent to a snack bag) I'm probably eating another bag and a half just by constantly grabbing a handful of nuts throughout the day. It doesn't seem so bad each time you walk away from the pantry snacking on only a handful of nuts, but it adds up when you keep doing it.

But that's just a matter of quantity, I'm now limiting myself to only one snack size bag per day (570 cal.) no matter when I eat or snack on it, I just can't go back for more.

As far as quality eating, I think we have that down pretty good. For breakfast this morning I made the usual fried eggs over avocado and spinach (me two eggs, her one). For lunch I'm sending her off with chicken breast from a Costco rotisserie, with sweet potato and black-eye peas, piece of French Baguette bread and her own bag of assorted nuts.

I'm probably going to do my regular can of sardines, small piece of cheese off the block and a handful of unsalted crackers.

I *still* have to work on not giving my wife as much on a plate as I make for myself, which makes sense but I always feel like I'm ripping her off or something. smile This is the first time we're really looking at calorie count, I don't want to become obsessed with it but you have to at least have an idea what your consumption is.

We never feel like we're suffering unless we're around fried seafood or she gets a whiff of Cinnabon at the mall. When we do enjoy a rare cheat treat, we split it always.

Attached Files DSCF4363.jpgDSCF4376.jpgDSCF4044.JPG
Last edited by MarkG; 03/03/17 03:59 AM.
#4205875 - 12/14/15 03:36 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
I understood it's 1400 healthy kcal, but it's still 1400 wink

My daily 1600 are often very crappy kcals (white bread, fried stuff), but the total still suits... I do have to make sure to catch enough vegetables.

Unsalted is good too, I recently started caring more about salt content and it's crazy. You basically can't buy any average food of the street or market and expect to stay within recommended amount of salt.

#4205901 - 12/14/15 05:09 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
You're right about that, although taking in too many “healthy” calories might explain why over the past couple of years or so, as my weight has yo-yo'd, none of my previous obesity-related symptoms returned. I believe that even when I was tipping the scale again into obesity, I was still eating relatively healthy and exercising at least a little, I never completely returned to old habits since 2009. Or maybe because my high blood pressure was being treated this time with medication, I don't know.

We rarely eat out anymore and this helps a lot, although healthy eating can be expensive (especially when you buy in bulk), I assume it can't cost any more than constantly eating out like we were doing prior to 2009.

Regarding salt, most restaurant food taste a little too salty to me now. I hardly ever add salt, only pepper (like on eggs).

#4206246 - 12/15/15 03:58 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Goblin Offline
Goblin  Offline

Southeastern PA
We just got our Christmas care package from my sister and her family. Full of the best homemade cookies, brownies and several other sweet treats. My kids get so excited to see those packages with her address on it. This is one of the highlights of our Christmas season, but SO many calories to burn.

Here are the workouts I'm doing at this time (started a third round of P90X2 last week).

Monday Core
Tuesday Plyometrics
Wednesday Foam rolling/stretching (recovery day required!)
Thursday Total body + 20 minutes abs
Friday Yoga
Saturday Balance and power (another total body workout with balance)
Sunday Foam rolling/stretching (sometimes i choose to just rest this day)

I wear a heart monitor most of the time and burn around 700 calories per workout. Not sure about yoga, because I don't wear the monitor on that day. I know my heart rate doesn't get up like the other routines, but Yoga is NOT easy. This one is an hour and a half, which is a little long -- sometimes I swap it out with a 30 minute session as I've got to get to work on time (workout starts at 5:00am). I find working out in the morning works best for me because I'm just too busy/tired/irritated/distracted/ect after work. The hardest part of all of it is getting out of bed when its cold and dark. I tell myself that all I have to do is show up -- don't even have to do the workout. Just show up. I very rarely miss a day and I've never actually shown up and NOT worked out. But the option is there!

RSC, that is a sweet bike! Really looks like fun -- but so is the dirt! My ridding buddy moved away and I don't really like being 15 miles deep in the woods without a fellow rider. If I go down and get hurt or the bike fails, I'm screwed. So, I'm a little reluctant to go riding, until I can find someone to ride with. Never used to have this problem when I was a kid. Tons of places to ride and a lot of friends wanted to do it. In some places nowadays, you can't ride a dirtbike on your own land! People complain that it's too noisey. Which is understandable, but why not just make a noise law? Oh, that's right, because they wouldn't be able to blow leaves around.

Salt. Here's a story. I was taking a trip back to my home state of Washington a few years back. On the way to the airport, I was clearing my throat a lot. By the time I was on the plane, my throat was feeling pretty scratchy. Mid-flight (5 hour ride) I was feeling really crappy. The attendant came by with drinks and I thought a spicey tomato juice would be good for my throat, which by now felt raw. All they had was bloody mary mix, so I drank that. Then I looked at the ingredients list. 2100mg sodium!!

#4206298 - 12/15/15 06:13 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: Goblin]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
Originally Posted By: Goblin
I wear a heart monitor most of the time and burn around 700 calories per workout.

Heart rate monitors aren't a reliable measure of how many calories you're burning, particularly with the sort of exercises you're doing. More info here, specifically:

Quote:
So, it must be emphasized again: HRMs calorie counts are only accurate when there is a consistent and measurable relationship between heart rate and oxygen uptake. That means exercises and exercise movements that are aerobic in nature and that are performed at intensities between 40% of VO2 max and the lactate threshold
There are a number of conditions under which heart rate can increase, but without an increase in oxygen uptake:
-Stress, Illness
-Dehydration
-Environment (high heat and humidity)
-Heavy strength training (HR increases because of increased pressure)
-Changes in posture
-Cardiovascular drift during extended aerobic exercise

In other words running, cycling and swimming would be examples of where HRMs are most accurate, and that's still very dependent on other variables that they can't take into account.

#4206322 - 12/15/15 06:42 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Goblin Offline
Goblin  Offline

Southeastern PA
Yeah, I've seen that. I'll keep using it though -- it works for me. I started wearing it when I first started working out because I was afraid of overdoing it. Most of the time now, I use it as a relative gauge against past workouts. Rather a way of seeing that I've done something.

Anyway, I find the collected data to be motivational. Below are my last 7 recorded workouts.

#4206330 - 12/15/15 06:54 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
My Crosstrainer display says that for 50 minutes, mostly between 140 and 160 heartrate, I burn 300kcal. Which I think is on the low side, and not accurate either.

Would be curious what HR they have as "Harccore" and "Fat Burn".

What you are doing is definitly a more well-rounded and healthy workout than I do. I'm all upper body... really should fit some gymnastics in there somewhere.

Maybe need to try the PS3 again - I have a game called "UFC Personal Trainer" on it which I used for a while, and it's got quite a nice mix of body-weight exercises which are tracked and rated via the "Move" controllers. Some of the stuff for XBone Kinect is a really neat way for personal "general fitness" training IMHO.

As for the Dirt Bike, I've been meaning to try and rent some kind of 250ccm MX in the fall or spring. Supposedly it's a good complimentary riding exercise to the circuit/tarmac stuff. We have a few dedicated dirt tracks here (staffed, medical services etc...) - nothing like that in your area?

#4206365 - 12/15/15 07:45 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Goblin Offline
Goblin  Offline

Southeastern PA
I used to have a treadmill that would tell me I burned 900 calories when I know it couldn't possibly have been that high, so I always divided by 3. It's just an estimate.

I don't pay too much attention to what they're calling "hardcore" and "fat burn", but they are based on my personal HR zones for those. I had to enter some data into my Polar HRM and it goes in and calculates my training zones. The theory is you stay in a particular zone based on what you are trying to achieve. So, if you want better endurance, you target a certain zone for a certain time. Anyway, "fat burn" kind of makes sense, but "hardcore" could mean a lot of things.

I have a CRF250X, which is a slightly modified version of the MX model. Suspension is tailored for woods riding and the cam is modified to change the timing a little. Actually, there are a couple of MX tracks. They're a couple of hours drive, but maybe I'll give that a try. At least somebody would be around. And yeah, I've heard that dirt riding is a good exercise for street riders.

#4206368 - 12/15/15 07:48 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
What the ???

All this electronic mumbo jumbo is too Rocky IV to me! biggrin

BTW, who else listens to the various Rocky soundtracks when they're working out or running? Come on, just admit it...

#4206379 - 12/15/15 08:07 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
That'd be just the kind of bike I'd want as a Secondary... wink though being Austrian it would likley be a KTM.

MX is much cheaper than road circuit, much easier to get to (many tracks in country but only one racing circuit) and less chance of wrecking expensive parts.

But then, nothing compares to braking 240 down to 140 (km/h), leaning the bike over as quickly as you dare and hitting the apex just right.

What I meant about HR is - what are your supposed numbers? I know at 160 on the Crosstrainer I am going a bit high, but acceptable. Maximum fat burn is lower.

Today's exercises:

3x25 Pushups
3x25 Tera Band Trizeps stretch
3x25 Curls with 22kg (25 each hand)
3x Straight Planking, legs elevated (static position, hold for at least 90s, better two minutes).

So that's 12 points to fire up this week. Had a bit of discipline laps yesterday and had some noodles in the evening, so that were 2000 instead of planned 1400 kcal... but doing okay today currently at 1100, adding 200 from Beef Jerky after training (for the protein).

#4206400 - 12/15/15 08:54 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Goblin Offline
Goblin  Offline

Southeastern PA
I'd love to have the KTM 300 XC-W, but can't justify the cost right now. The Honda is my first 4-stroke, well, since an XR-75 that my brother had back in 1978. After that it was all two-strokes.

That supersport circuit looks awesome.

My numbers are something like:
warm/up zone: min - 115
Fat burn: 115 - 120
Aerobic: 120 - 140
Anaerobic:140 - 158
Vo2 max: 158 - 178

I think if my goal was to burn fat I'd just go out walking.

#4206409 - 12/15/15 09:04 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: Goblin]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: Goblin
Here are the workouts I'm doing at this time (started a third round of P90X2 last week).

Monday Core
Tuesday Plyometrics
Wednesday Foam rolling/stretching (recovery day required!)
Thursday Total body + 20 minutes abs
Friday Yoga
Saturday Balance and power (another total body workout with balance)
Sunday Foam rolling/stretching (sometimes i choose to just rest this day)

Is yoga part of the P90X2 program or is this a class you attend?

I've been resisting but I know it's effective, I've seen what it does for my wife. She has very mild scoliosis (front-to-back, visible on x-ray) and her back bothers her sometimes if she misses a couple weeks in a row. My back and shoulders always kinda ache now, I'm wondering if I should just suck it up and try a class. Heck, I could probably stand to do a lot more simple stretching as well.

Last edited by MarkG; 12/15/15 09:17 PM.
#4206424 - 12/15/15 09:36 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Goblin Offline
Goblin  Offline

Southeastern PA
I've actually been doing Yoga for about 10 years. I started by going to classes for about 2 years and learned proper form from an excellent teacher. It can get very challenging. One of the good things about it though is that there is something for everyone.

The yoga I list above is part of the P90X2 routine and is no walk in the park. Last week I swapped out this Yoga for the P90X3 yoga which was only 30 minutes. On other occasions I sit in on my wife's yoga routine or pop in a power yoga DVD.

When I'm doing P90X I only listen to the DVD sound track. I did Insanity a couple of years ago and got to where I'd mute the TV and listen to some Rush or Scorpions or something (but not Rocky soundtrack cool maybe I'll give that a try) . The moves in insanity didn't require the level of concentration that P90X does. That's not quite right, what I mean is I need to listen to the little reminders about form when doing P90X, but not for insanity.

Last edited by Goblin; 12/15/15 09:37 PM.
#4206430 - 12/15/15 10:01 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Problem with body weight is it only gets you so far. I really wish I had a Butterfly machine, since breast muscles are hard to work with just pushups.

It depends on how you do your pushups. If you want to build pectoral mass, archer pushups coupled with muscle ups will do nicely. If you have a medicine ball, then the 3-point pushups will also work well. Normal pushups must be slowed down in order to gain maximum benefit.

For martial arts training, we used to do pushups on a 2x4 plank balanced on top of a can of soup. The soup can was placed at quarter positions along the length of the 2x4. After a while, you were basically doing a one-armed pushup on an unstable surface.

edit:

Here's one of the books on the subject that I really liked:

http://www.amazon.com/Bodyweight-Exercises-Extraordinary-Strength-Johnson/dp/0926888781

Last edited by shan2; 12/15/15 10:07 PM.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#4206444 - 12/15/15 10:46 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Thanks Shan, those are all excellent suggestions. The "muscle-up" seems similar to standard dips but I don't have the device for those. Might indeed be easier to find a rack/bar.

Those Archer Pushups are an interesting variation, just tried it now... yikes.

Page 2 of 47 1 2 3 4 46 47

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.