Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4204094 - 12/08/15 07:26 PM I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Granted...this was last year...but it still chaps my hide.

I'm finally going to get myself an Xbox One for Christmas this year...pretty much the only reason is for sports games. If you enjoy playing Hockey or Football...a console is your only choice really. Operation Sports is a pretty good site for info on sports games...so it's pissing me off all over again. I was commenting on the Madden 15 presentation...here's what got me banned:

After 3 people agreed with me in the thread...I was greeted with this next time I logged in:

I had been a member since 2012 and had never posted anything critical and never had a warning...mostly just in the NFL2k portion of the forum. Permanent ban for that?

I guess they are pretty much married to EA Sports and are afraid of losing their early review copies or something.

Maybe It's too personal for me to judge...was this warranted?

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4204103 - 12/08/15 07:42 PM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Force10]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Sounds like a massively pathetic group of admins. I've had a hell of a potty mouth on many forums and have yet to be banned anywhere. Maybe I hang around with saltier crews though.

What you posted isn't even in the same orbit as something offensive.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4204107 - 12/08/15 07:56 PM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Force10]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Thanks Peally...that's what I was thinking.

I tried to appeal the ban with an e-mail:

Quote:

Hello,

I was a little surprised I received a permanent ban for the thread below. I have never received so much as a warning in the past and my previous posts were generally positive. It wasn't like I was droning on and "dev bashing" on EA…I also gave them credit for stepping up the presentation.

Any chance this can be shortened to a 2 week ban or similar?

Thank You.

Force10

I got no response.

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

#4204109 - 12/08/15 08:01 PM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Force10]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
I'd make a joke about how you should turn in your SimHQ moderator credentials and keys, but I fear you would seize upon the opportunity, and we can't afford to have that happen. eek2

Besides, Murphy would kill me! He would drive all the way down here, round up OG to be his lookout, and kill me... fearful

wink

#4204115 - 12/08/15 09:02 PM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: CyBerkut]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: CyBerkut
I'd make a joke about how you should turn in your SimHQ moderator credentials and keys, but I fear you would seize upon the opportunity, and we can't afford to have that happen. eek2

Ha!

Surely you jest! Who in the world would voluntarily give up being a moderator? The hours, the pay and the gratitude from a thankful community! It's just too much awesomeness wrapped up in one position.

Seriously though, being human...I will make mistakes, I just don't think the post that got me banned was one of them.

wink

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

#4204117 - 12/08/15 09:19 PM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Force10]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Yeah, that seemed to be a bit of an over-reaction, to say the least.

Does that site run advertising for the publisher/developer of Madden xx?

#4204127 - 12/08/15 09:58 PM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Force10]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
There are a few around with Admins/Mods like that - power went to their head. They also tend to let some disrupters stay.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4204145 - 12/08/15 10:53 PM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Force10]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Some devs (and their minions) apparently have very frail egos.

I wrote a lot more, but I shall leave it at that.
And yeah, I agree. Some people react very badly if you give them a tiny little bit of power over others.

#4204154 - 12/08/15 11:20 PM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Force10]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Force10, don't feel too bad.

I wasn't allowed to register there.

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4204158 - 12/08/15 11:28 PM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: CyBerkut]  
Cobra84 Offline
Cobra84  Offline

Originally Posted By: Force10
I had been a member since 2012 and had never posted anything critical and never had a warning...mostly just in the NFL2k portion of the forum.

I think just posting in the NFL 2K forum is bannable. I know a simple "why does an 11 year old football game have features that a current one doesn't?" question will get you hastily banned.

Originally Posted By: CyBerkut
Does that site run advertising for the publisher/developer of Madden xx?

Worse, Madden devs (used to? I stay away for obvious reasons) post there. Need to keep them happy by having only happy customers post.

#4204171 - 12/09/15 01:19 AM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Force10]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
oselisan
Unregistered

This thread made me feel very guilty in different sense (not an admin).

There's this game forum that I frequented. The game had success and some failures, there were forum policies that I disagreed with. Had an exchange with an admin when I went ballistic at some point.

I literally bashed the developers: criticized their decisions, balance and sometimes their strategy. Never received a ban. I hated that forum and their developers, kinda looking down on them.

When I read this thread, I felt like a prick tolerated by the admins and the game developers.

#4204179 - 12/09/15 01:41 AM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Force10]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Wow, over that? Its pansy pants people unable to deal with any other point of view that is not their own. Common enough forum issue. Happens everywhere. Still sucks rotten eggs.

I think part of the problem is lack of transparency. Too easy for one joker to make a blanket judgement with lack of care of the results that may ensue. Like lost sales and advertising revenue. After all, why should they care? Gotten myself perma banned off of one forum in 17 years. And that was a vary VARY strange deal. A technical issue I was exacerbated over and treated like I was some sort of crook. Explained everything over it. And finally said SCREW this and pretty much brought it on myself. Result, don't go their, do not buy that companies products. 250 bucks I had given them over the years and about the same not given them since. That particular out fit seems to like to commit PR suicide so there is that.

Gotten 2 temp bans in that same period. The best was on steams forum when i told somebody to "please die in a fire and have a nice day" after calling US service folks baby killers and murders (it was actually more insulting than that). I thought I was being mild.... Say that to my face. Worth the 30 day ban however.

But there does not seem to be decent etiquette to deal with forum woes and opinions. I am not meaning forum rules. Just more an "internet society" sort of norm. If that makes any sense. In a dinner party with opposing views you can not simply hit BAN and end the discussion. Well you could kick folks out the door I suppose, but don't be surprised if you start running out of friends. So much is simply lost when the tone of a person can be misconstrued over a forum or the written word. And to easy to pile on whatever the bias is and hit ban. There is rarely a down side for the moderator until a pattern of behavior is shown and then the damage is done already. That nuclear ban option should be reserved for folks unable to play well with others. You can have opinions a world out looks that clash and still have a conversation. Maybe its just the sign of the times to take to the extremes.

#4204192 - 12/09/15 02:15 AM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Force10]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Sounds like the admins from DCS forums at ED

#4204202 - 12/09/15 03:28 AM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
vocatx Offline
vocatx  Offline

Voca, Texas
Originally Posted By: Harry-the-Ruskie
Sounds like the admins from DCS forums at ED

I was thinking the RoF or BOS forums, myself. Maybe it's that ALL dev teams are too full of themselves?

4H_V-man

System Specs:
MSI 870 A-G54
AMD X4 Phenom II @ 3.4 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1 Tb Western Digital
250 Gb Western Digital
320 Gb Seagate
Radeon HD 6970 graphics
Thermaltake 650 Modualar power supply
Thermaltake Element V full tower
#4204227 - 12/09/15 04:48 AM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Force10]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Aw, you intruded on their safe zone with a micro aggression.

Big meanie, you clearly don't understand the pain you inflicted.

Chances are you started nine hunger strikes in protest.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4204229 - 12/09/15 05:06 AM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Dart]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Originally Posted By: Dart

Big meanie, you clearly don't understand the pain you inflicted.

Chances are you started nine hunger strikes in protest.

thumbsup

I was just making fun of this very thing today...this afternoon right before I left the office, in these exact terms, with my partner and duck and pheasant hunting buddy. We decided clearly either we are too old for this world, have generally too high of expectations of others' intelligence or both. old_simmer

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4204230 - 12/09/15 05:08 AM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Force10]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
STOP IT.

"Pheasant" is one of my trigger words.

wink

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4204234 - 12/09/15 05:15 AM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Dart]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
STOP IT.

"Pheasant" is one of my trigger words.

wink

That's awesome. My wife is gonna think I'm crazy when I go up to bed now laughing to myself!

salute

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4204243 - 12/09/15 05:55 AM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Dart]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA

Yeah...clearly my Fawning-to-Micro aggression ratio was a tad askew.

I'm sure a moderator ran the numbers through the "EA approved" Ban-o-Meter 5000 and it spit out "perma-ban"...no choice really. wink

What sucks is I still play NFL2k5...as it's presentation is still miles better in many ways then anything made today, but the only place to get up to date rosters is there...and you have to be a member to get to them.

mad

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

#4204244 - 12/09/15 06:01 AM Re: I got banned from Operation Sports forums...what a joke [Re: Force10]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: Force10

Yeah...clearly my Fawning-to-Micro aggression ratio was a tad askew.

I'm sure a moderator ran the numbers through the "EA approved" Ban-o-Meter 5000 and it spit out "perma-ban"...no choice really. wink

What sucks is I still play NFL2k5...as it's presentation is still miles better in many ways then anything made today, but the only place to get up to date rosters is there...and you have to be a member to get to them.

mad

EA as a company is universally disliked for their arrogance anyway. I cannot remember the last time I played or owned an EA product, not only because I don't care much for that company and the retards they employ but also because they publish crappy games for as long as I remember.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.