Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4203180 - 12/06/15 09:46 AM Quick mission, not enough missiles  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

I'm having so much fun with this, but so much to learn.

I'm still working my way thru the quick missions, but dont have enough missiles to complete mission.

What can be expected in these missions, destroy all targets? just do your best with present load does seem right as
there seems way more targets than available bombs and missiles.

I am aware that destroying a bridge does not require destroying its defenses, but even so seems not enough munitions.

I'm faced with more SAM's than mav missiles what are my options?
1. Land and rearm! If so where? I landed but rearming didnt appear to be a option. Need to set radio to Int?
2. My wingman seems unavailable to assist, my radio not damaged is turned on (easy communications) and wingman present. Must be some setting I inadvertently changed, but dont know which one. Maybe wingman frequency in initial mission parameters, or in quick mission is it set by default since begin in the air?
3. Does my mission get credit for wingman kills?
4. Is it possible to kill any SAMs without use of mavericks? If so what is the alternate weapon of choice, after mavs expended?

Still a lot of studying to do, but assistance appreciated. biggrin

Last edited by Slippery_Rat; 12/06/15 10:01 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4203186 - 12/06/15 10:19 AM Re: Quick mission, not enough missiles [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

I gather rearming at all friendly airports is possible but requires the use of the intercom! duh!

So, assuming I can reload anywhere, providing I use the intercom to contact ground, all target are now accessible.
I suppose SA-13's have a ceiling of about 11500' so if I stay above that altitude, I can drop... stuff on 'em, no need for a missile providing only SA-13 and below.

I wrongly assumed that the instant missions would start out as training, maybe they do, but require a relatively good understanding and complete functionality of the sim as a whole, not a criticism the more you know the more fun it becomes. :-)

So answered my own questions, but still interested in wingman issues.

Last edited by Slippery_Rat; 12/06/15 03:19 PM.
#4203282 - 12/06/15 03:49 PM Re: Quick mission, not enough missiles [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

I believe you're only credited with your own kills. If you browse the wingman comms menus, you should see options to have him strike a specific target you're looking at in TGP with a specific weapon from a specific heading all the way to more general orders like engaging different sorts of ground targets on his own.

#4203326 - 12/06/15 06:37 PM Re: Quick mission, not enough missiles [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Between you and the wingman you have:
2000 cannon rounds
rockets
4 Mavericks
4 JDAM

In medium and hard additional air defenses are added but they are not required targets. The first and second targets should be guns and rockets only using the wingman as much as possible. The next stage bridge can be cheated since the game couldn't be programmed to recognize the bridge destroyed it recognizes only the two infantry standing on it. Kill them and the objective is complete or put a single GBU-38 on it while climbing to not cheat.

On harder difficulty there will be 1-2 Shilka around the bridge. Leave them be and focus on the mission target. Egressing bridge turn to a safe direction and start your best climb procedure away from the next threat. Have discipline and patience. Rushing in with "oh that's good enough" is how you lose. At the stationary armor station work from hardest to softest keeping 15,000' as a hard deck. Make good use of the very specific control you have over wingman attacks "Attack" "armor" "at my SPI" "from the West" "with GBU."

On easier difficulties once the IR SAM is dead the ZSU-23-4 can be beaten easily in gun duels. Hold PAC-1 on them until you see their first muzzle flash and fire a moderate burst, breaking away shortly after. The TOF of their rounds gives you enough time to shoot and leave. Reposition at this time interval post attack until no more shots are incoming.

The hard armor at this station needs to be evaluated for who is where and facing what way. You want to get a butt shot on a tank that isn't being covered by others. The last GBU(s) can make this opening. Gun running tanks should be straight forward but they are too accurate. Consider degrading them with 1-2nm shots to weaken their ability to shoot back before going for the .7-.5nm kill shot. This takes a lot of ammo so wingman use is key.

After stationary armor is the convoy. You should have all 4 mavericks still. Identify the threats within and use 1-2 to make it approachable guns. BMS-2s are more Shilka than Shilkas were but you can win this duel as well. On harder difficulties staying clear of air defenses for the current station as well as previous stations left behind takes a lot of memory and patience. A lot of time is spent regaining altitude and repositioning to the best side.

#4203588 - 12/07/15 02:13 PM Re: Quick mission, not enough missiles [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

@ Scrim,
Thanks for your response, I assumed as much but thot it might be a team score as opposed to an individual one.

@Frederf,

Wow a treasure of info, thanks to your input I landed after I completed the moderate mission with 3 mavericks.
"A lot of time is spent regaining altitude and repositioning to the best side." you can say that again, I speed up time to gain altitude in a safe direction.

My problem is finding the enemy, if the MBT's didnt have a bright red 200 yard banner flapping in the wind behind them, I'd have a hard job finding them, but those labels can get in the way while attacking.

I also find orienting myself to attack from behind a pain since the TGP follows the target. The only way I can tell which way its facing is to note my ingress heading and estimate the angle of orientation of the target at that time. It would be nice to draw an arrow on the TAD indicating the direction the target is heading! While targets are mostly mobile it would still make it much easier. Seems like this would be an easy task for computer to determine...nevermind. winkngrin

Thank you for your responses...I'm getting there slowly.

#4203627 - 12/07/15 03:28 PM Re: Quick mission, not enough missiles [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

I'd say you can take on MBTs with just your gun once you've ensured that there's no large risk of MANPADs, SPAAGs, or sniper BMP-2s around. As long as you get eyes on with TGP it's "just" a matter of lining up from behind at around 10,000 feet, cut the throttle and roll in ~40° dive. At .7nm out, give it a solid 2 second burst just behind the turret, and even a T-80U should go down. The energy you'll have amassed from the dive should take you out of his AA HMG range fairly quickly and allow you to pull some fairly light evasive maneuvers that'll ensure he misses even if you didn't kill him. This part is fairly important, as ED decided that anything from the Western world will break down if a Russian even looks angrily at it, so you shouldn't be surprised if a .50 cal round grazing your tail will destroy your GAU-8 immediately.

Just be aware that this demands a fairly high level of proficiency, or you're very liable to plow straight into the ground, but it's very a very pleasing skill to have. A great tip for ensuring you still know where a tank (or any target really) is when strafing is to turn the IFCC switch one step down, go into Display and toggle Gunsight Occult into N. This will prevent the sight from blanking out your TGP diamond if you use CCIP (preferably with no weapons selected to declutter your HUD), meaning you can just revert to aiming at the TGP diamond when you roll in if you can't otherwise visually acquire the target.

If there are other targets around, you should preferably expend some stores on them before going in for guns. Not only is this the obvious part of getting rid of air defences, but it both ensures that if you're hit badly when strafing you'll still have accomplished a fair part of your mission, and will also help keep you from being hit in the first place as the less bombs, missiles, rockets, etc. you're carrying, the less drag you'll have and therefor be a far more complicated target to hit.

Last edited by scrim; 12/07/15 03:32 PM.
#4203808 - 12/07/15 11:46 PM Re: Quick mission, not enough missiles [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Anti-armor guns greatly benefit from a low angle strafe vs. something in the middle ranges. High angle is good too but it's not compatible with short slant ranges for obvious reasons. Tank self defense with their entirely manual RWS 12.7mm is insane. Azimuth is critical so an outward-facing ring of tanks is practically off-limits due to having to overfly one to get to the other.

I prefer to stow TGP prior to any direct attack, setting a mark point prior instead. The little flip flop dance of the TGP winding its wires around the forward look vector is distracting.

I found the AI buggy when giving the full commanded "attack A at my SPI with B, from the C" especially the C heading restriction. He will also avoid perhaps a left turn in order to turn in to instead fly past, do a loop, and come in on the same heading but using a preferred turn direction. AI doesn't see infantry since that patch long ago at any reasonable distance so "engage infantry with rockets at my SPI" he just shrugs at that one even if I have an AK-47 in point track. They also aren't too keen on "engage air defenses with gun/rockets." The bridge therefore has to be done by the player.

As the difficulty increases it's more and more important to skip the air defenses and allocate your weapons to mission targets. Targets at 2 & 3 are good candidates for guns and rockets but after that it's high altitude and PGMs all the way. The moving convoy should have the flight down to full or nearly full Mavs and GBU-12s (shame you can't specify AI attacks JDAM vs LGB).

#4203828 - 12/08/15 01:53 AM Re: Quick mission, not enough missiles [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

I see how markpoints would help, but I'd at least wait until the first gun run if I haven't otherwise attacked the tank, or its unit prior since this causes them to relocate.

I can definitely vouch for the method I described working. At lower angles the shots are too spread out and you're exposed to the AA HMG. From high altitudes and dive angles it just won't be able to get to you until you're egressing, at which time you'll be out of range very quickly. Just make sure that you're not still shooting at .4nm and you should have plenty of opportunity to pull out, disbarring unusual surrounding terrain features.

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.