Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4185831 - 10/25/15 12:23 AM Useful tools for new players  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
*** Find out how much ships costs, what modules you can fit, and what performance you can expect from your current/next ship. ***

Coriolis - I just wrapped my head around this site and found it really useful. Not only can you do outfitting and see your power output vs. power needs, it also allows you to fiddle with module's power priority settings! This way you can see whether you can get by with your current power plant or if you really must upgrade. It also has the ability to save ship loadouts and compare loadouts which is great! The only downside is that the module costs are listed in a separate section which sometimes makes it hard to find how much that next module upgrade is going to cost.

E:D Shipyard - a simpler version that still shows fitting options as well as jump range and power output vs. power needs. No ability to mess with module priority or save loadouts on the website although there is an "export" and "import" function, but you will have to save the data somewhere else, ie text file or Excel.

*** Need a new ship? Want an upgrade module but don't know where to find it? ****

INARA - signing up for the website allows you to set your current location on the CMDR'S LOG section and then going to the GALAXY section, you can search for ships (SHIPYARD) or modules (OUTFITTING) and it will show you the nearest known locations that may have what you are looking for. I say "may have" because I believe this is crowd-sourced information and may be wrong or out-of-date. So far, I've bought an Imperial Eagle/Courier/Clipper and have outfitted them with the help of INARA and just this evening, I've searched for A-rated modules and with INARA's help, I found what I was looking for on my first stop.

*** Want to trade but don't know where or how? ***

Elite OCR - dock at a station, take screenshots of the commodity list, run the screenshots through Elite OCR, import the data into your favorite program, and let it crunch the numbers for you! Basically, Elite OCR saves you from all the typing. smile

CMDR's Log - save your Elite OCR data as .csv files and import them into CMDR's Log and this program will crunch the numbers, show you which stations to trade at and what commodities to buy/sell, as well as the expected profits from the run.

Slopey's BPC Market Tool - similar to CMDR's Log but with the option to download crowd-sourced (online) data. (Thanks MojoFlow!)

E:D Market Connector (EDMC) - I am guessing this is similar to Elite OCR? I will be testing this shortly... (Thanks MojoFlow!)

Thrudd's Trading Tools aka elitetradingtool - an online version similar to CMDR's Log/Slopey's BPC, obviously with crowd-sourced data. (Thanks Chucky!)

* A note to the new traders *
Click to reveal..
I am not a fan of crowd-sourced data and I only use them to gauge how profitable my trade routes are compared to what other players find out there. The reason I don't like trading in systems found in crowd-sourced data is simply because with the information being public, you can be sure that the best routes will attract more traders which can raise buy prices and lower sell prices which equals lower profit per ton. Another reason is pirates - with known trade routes, you can be sure there will be human players about who aren't engaged in trading. biggrin

My suggestion is to find your own trade routes and to do this, you simply fly to a few stations, grab the data, import it to CMDR's Log or Slopey's BPC, and find out what is profitable for you. The best routes are usually from Extraction/Refinery systems to High Tech systems. Depending on your ship size, you may consider outposts for small/medium ships but large ships will need stations.

Obviously, if you play mostly or exclusively in Solo mode, then human piracy won't be much of an issue and will make crowd-sourced information much more useful but again, there is always the problem of the data being out-of-date and you fly into a system to find the buy/sell price to be different and you end up making less profit than you expected.

These are the websites I have found that I use quite often; if anyone has other tools that they find very useful for new and experienced players alike, post 'em here and I'll add it to this first post.

- Ice
#4185835 - 10/25/15 12:51 AM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: - Ice]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Nice!
Thanks.

#4185836 - 10/25/15 12:55 AM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: - Ice]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
I use Slopey's to track trade information: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53037

To easily import data into it, I use Elite Dangerous Market Connector: https://github.com/Marginal/EDMarketConnector/wiki

I currently run Slopeys in offline mode so it only has trade data that I have collected and it doesn't share the prices I find with the online db's out there.

#4185890 - 10/25/15 10:19 AM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: - Ice]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
For trading I will give a mention for Thrudds

This also relies on player input for its info.Keep an eye on how old the data is.Also,if you use it in and around the more populated areas expect trouble in Open and the possibility of commodity shortages in both play styles.I get a little off the beaten track and stay in Solo.

Last edited by Chucky; 10/25/15 10:25 AM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4186750 - 10/27/15 11:26 AM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: - Ice]  
DaveKelly Offline
DaveKelly  Offline

Buckley North Wales
If you want to go exploring this will save you writing a lot of stuff down and more http://scarygliders.net/captains-log/

DD_crash
#4186751 - 10/27/15 11:33 AM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: - Ice]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Looks like this ever-so-handy thread qualifies for sticky status IMHO.

#4186786 - 10/27/15 01:13 PM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: DaveKelly]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted By: DaveKelly
If you want to go exploring this will save you writing a lot of stuff down and more http://scarygliders.net/captains-log/

I pretty much live by this. Especially handy with the ability to overlay over the main window, so I don't have to alt-tab away while exploring on one screen and watching Netflix on the other. Only thing I wish it did was integrate with the websites that allow you to track your path on exploration trips- as far as I know, you still have to manually access either the Elite Dangerous Star Map or the ED Star Coordinator (which means manually tracking distances) to plot out a proper route.

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#4193002 - 11/10/15 09:43 AM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: - Ice]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
*Shameless bump*
Since this forum isn't busy or active enough to have a moderator's presence - or he disagrees with me about this being worthy of a sticky - a bump back to the top for new players. Plus I had to get a link off here myself!

#4193563 - 11/12/15 02:52 AM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: - Ice]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
+1 for sticky smile

To clarify, the ED Market Connector serves the same purpose as EliteOCR, but is immensely quicker to use.

Once docked at the station, not sure if you need to be on commodity page even, but I usually do, you click the button on the ED Market Connector and it will save all the market data to a file on your PC that you can use to load into Slopey's. It has worked perfectly for me so far.

#4202408 - 12/03/15 10:51 PM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: - Ice]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Shameless bump for any new folks...

#4202441 - 12/04/15 01:02 AM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thank you to Mojo for pointing out EDMC!! It is like a nicely-automated EliteOCR and makes my "scouting runs" much more quick and efficient.

- Ice
#4328616 - 01/15/17 01:29 AM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: - Ice]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
There is no designated moderator for this sub-forum. I went ahead and made the thread a sticky topic. thumbsup

#4328626 - 01/15/17 02:25 AM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Hahaha!! Over a year after the last post.... biggrin
No worries, I'll be adding more stuff soon, I would think. Thanks CyBerkut! thumbsup

- Ice
#4328635 - 01/15/17 04:45 AM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: - Ice]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Yes, it would be nice if you could keep your O.P. updated with any additional useful programs that you discover. cheers

#4328678 - 01/15/17 02:36 PM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Well, just getting back into the game so still re-discovering new/old stuff... smile

- Ice
#4337818 - 02/16/17 07:23 AM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: - Ice]  
172ndHamm Offline
172ndHamm  Offline

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Similar to INARA, I find the Elite Dangerous Database let's me search for needed locations, modules, commodities, etc. It's probably a preference thing, but I found it quicker for those type of searches than INARA, which admittedly covers far more subjects.

https://eddb.io/

Click to reveal..

Say "HI" if you see me in Elite Dangerous, I'm Icescreamman.
#4337825 - 02/16/17 09:01 AM Re: Useful tools for new players [Re: - Ice]  
172ndHamm Offline
172ndHamm  Offline

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Handy Printed keymap for reference during gameplay. I got this idea from the classic combat sims, Janes Fighters Anthology, Falcon 4.0, Jane's USAF, and/or MS Flight Simulator.
The first is my customized keybinds, the second a blank, and the third a Blank keymap formatted to the standard 101 keyboard layout.

Click the links to DL the keymap:

Icescreamman's Custom Keymap

Blank Custom Keymap #2

Blank Double 101 standard Keymap #3

Say "HI" if you see me in Elite Dangerous, I'm Icescreamman.

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.