Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4201750 - 12/02/15 05:25 PM Should be Rainbow Five: Siege?  
Wedge Offline
Wedge  Offline

Last night I was able to finally DL and install R6:S and briefly view the 3 familiarization videos and go through the 1st CQC training mission. I have not played any matches and really havent thought about team sizes.

BUT...this morning I was reading through the info posted on the main R6:S website and came across this:

"Rainbow Six Siege is a team-based tactical shooter set in an indoor environment. It is a 5v5 asymmetrical confrontation, between Attackers and Defenders, that encompasses a battle between fortification and breaching."

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4201766 - 12/02/15 05:54 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
Wedge Offline
Wedge  Offline

Further explains - R6. I always thought Rainbow six referred to the number of members that make up the team.

http://rainbowsix.wikia.com/wiki/Rainbow_Six

#4201792 - 12/02/15 07:05 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

As it is an all time favorite book of mine I could have explained it to you! wink

"For Rainbow Six, the aggressor is international terrorists. "Rainbow Six" also refers to John Clark, the leader of Rainbow, because 'Six' is often a designation for a leader or director. Additionally, the title symbolizes the multi-national nature of the elite unit. While a rainbow contains many colors, the unit contains many nationalities."

However, John Clark is no longer the "6" element anymore in Siege. I imagine he has retired! Actress Angela Bassett is now the Director of Rainbow.

Last edited by xIGuNDoCIx; 12/02/15 07:08 PM.
#4201794 - 12/02/15 07:11 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
Ratcatcher Offline
Ratcatcher  Offline

North Yorkshire, UK
Never knew that!

Just got it myself. Had a mare with it until I updated my gfx driver but still buggy ( every time I change a control then go back to game I end up spinning round...right round, like a record baby, round round round round....note to self - don't post after having a large Jameson's... wink

Really quite liking what I've seen at the moment, just done a couple of the starting scenarios so far, could be fun co-op and in a good team.

#4201800 - 12/02/15 07:16 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

FYI - William Defoe played John Clark in the movie "Clear and Present Danger" along with actor Raymond Cruz who portrayed Domingo "Ding" Chavez. Ding would go on to lead one of the Rainbow elements as well as becoming John Clarks son-in-law.

Willem Defoe as John Clark - Clear and Present Danger

Raymond Cruz as Ding Chavez - Clear and Present Danger

John Clark would also make a return in another Tom Clancy movie titled "Sum of All Fears" portrayed by Liev Schreiber.

#4201801 - 12/02/15 07:19 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

More info on the character of John Clark. Dude is the epitome of Badass in the TC (Tom Clancy) Universe. Even makes guys like Sam Fisher look like little girls! There are several TC books dedicated to John Clarks exploits alone and are all highly recommended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Clark_(Tom_Clancy_character)

#4201832 - 12/02/15 08:22 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Clark retired in Critical Hour and Ding took over as director, as he was in the Vegas games. I think they've just left all of that behind now though. Maybe if they have a campaign some day. Critical Hour was Xbox only and it was reliving select old missions from previous games as Clark packed up his office. It was mainly co-op.
Angela Bassett is pretty good though, and it looks just like her.

So far I'm enjoying the game, although most players clearly played the hell out of the beta. Going to take me a while to catch up, not to mention learn the maps. Gameplay is fast but pretty good.
The solo missions are fun tutorials and cover various situations. Unfortunately, they don't mix up the tangos spawn points like in TH.

Note that on Uplay there is an unlock for a free day of renown booster. Save that until you need it and learn how to score more points.
I'm disappointed in all of the boosters for XP for sale, bundles etc. Progress seems fast enough without it, but since each operator can only be run by one player, sometimes you get stuck with the generic guy. I'd rather have full customization like Vegas had. Still, pretty good game.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4201840 - 12/02/15 08:46 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

Still hanging on that the long rumored Rainbow 6 movie will come to fruition. There is also a script to be running around Hollywood for "Without Remorse" with the studio pursuing Tom Hardy for the role of John Clark

Last edited by xIGuNDoCIx; 12/02/15 08:47 PM.
#4201870 - 12/02/15 10:00 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
GunDoc, Stop!! you are killing me!

That movie has been talked about for 6(?) years now?
And to have the movie "Without Remorse" would be awesomesauce.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4201954 - 12/03/15 01:48 AM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Hardy is supposed to be playing Sam in the Splinter Cell movie that's supposedly in the works.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4202027 - 12/03/15 11:49 AM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
franx Offline
Impersonal pronoun
franx  Offline
Impersonal pronoun

Philadelphia
Been away from the forums for awhile. But so far, this R6 iteration is looking and playing really great. Well worth the $$.

#4202062 - 12/03/15 01:49 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
Wedge Offline
Wedge  Offline

Well worth the money - especially for $39 from GamesRocket.com

Im thoroughly enjoying the 11 solo missions and I even played a couple of unranked matches in which I held my own.

I just wish that you could pick an AI team and play single player missions like with past R6 games.

#4202084 - 12/03/15 02:16 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Hardy is supposed to be playing Sam in the Splinter Cell movie that's supposedly in the works.

I would take John Clark over Sam Fisher any day of the week and twice on Sunday. smile JC is old school badass, does not need fancy gizmos/goggles. Just a knife, gun, and his shear presence of will to get the job done! SF is pretty cool too....but JC would kick his @ss! biggrin

#4209793 - 12/24/15 10:30 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
What is the appeal of some of these actors? Tom Hardy can't act. His performance in the Road Warrior movie made Mel Gibson's performance of the same actor look like Sir Laurence Olivier or George C. Scott. Hardy is terrible. I've seen him a couple of other movies, and he couldn't act in those movies either.

Two other so-called "actors" who are utterly without an ounce of acting ability are Colin Farrell and Keanu Reeves. Although Reeves redeemed himself a little bit in my eyes with an almost credible performance in the movie John Wick.

How do these guys keep getting work? It's not like any of them are major box office draws. No one went to see the recent Road Warrior movie because of Tom Hardy.

Last edited by Plainsman; 12/24/15 10:32 PM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4209958 - 12/25/15 04:37 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Wedge
Further explains - R6. I always thought Rainbow six referred to the number of members that make up the team.

The Title "Rainbow six" was a reference to "TEAM SEAL SIX" which does not officially exist and can do that type of tactical work, at the time of the creation of the novel.

Keep in mind that it is the US Navy Seals that originally trained the SWAT teams* in the US, especially the LA SWAT team, which is supposed to be the best in the world.

Hence, the reference to ST6 through the R6 name, because it is a SWAT work.

Therefore, the Tittle "Rainbow Six : Siege" is the right one, Wedge.

* Twenty something years ago, one could see the Seals training the Swats downtown Diego on a boarded up building called the "El Cortez". They were doing Australians rapelling.

Last edited by Gunnyhighway; 12/25/15 08:05 PM.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4210096 - 12/26/15 03:58 AM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Are you sure about that Gunny? If you’re going to contradict what the wiki says about the name’s origin, you better have some proof to back your theory up.

#4210173 - 12/26/15 03:40 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Proof?...Linebacker, let me repeat for you then Loud and Clear: Tom Clancy called his book "Rainbow six" not in reference to "Rambo", not in reference to the DGSE action to the "Rainbow Warrior" or the Rainbow flag, but in reference to "Seal Team Six" that did not exist officially, the type of work they were doing in comparison to the nature of undercover operations Rainbow Six was executing.

Proof?...Wiki is incomplete by essence. I read that reference to the Seal Team Six in a Tom Clancy's interview a while ago and I trust my memory.

Now, since I am not in charge of your research department, I am not going to do a research because you ask for proof!...

You are left with the option of doing your own research, after all do you feel entitled that I owe you a research instead of Wiki?

PS: You could start your research for proof in the direction of John Clark, he was a US Navy Seal, or interview any members of the inexisting Seal Team Six. There are so many layers in the intelligence community. Good luck!

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4210257 - 12/26/15 08:44 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
Wedge Offline
Wedge  Offline

I just started reading the book and from what I gather so far is that John Clark is the leader of Rainbow (secret counter terrorist unit) and his call sign for being the leader is "Rainbow Six". Again, I just started reading (currently on chapter 9) so there could be more info regarding "Rainbow Six" and it's origins. But, as far as right now when I see "Rainbow Six" mentioned in the book it is referring to John Clark.

#4210282 - 12/26/15 10:58 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Wedge]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
As mentioned, Six refers to the "Six man", the commander of the group. Clark is the commander and created the group.

#4211207 - 12/29/15 10:05 PM Re: Should be Rainbow Five: Siege? [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

Originally Posted By: Gunnyhighway
Originally Posted By: Wedge

The Title "Rainbow six" was a reference to "TEAM SEAL SIX" which does not officially exist and can do that type of tactical work, at the time of the creation of the novel.

Keep in mind that it is the US Navy Seals that originally trained the SWAT teams* in the US, especially the LA SWAT team, which is supposed to be the best in the world.

Hence, the reference to ST6 through the R6 name, because it is a SWAT work.

Therefore, the Tittle "Rainbow Six : Siege" is the right one, Wedge.

* Twenty something years ago, one could see the Seals training the Swats downtown Diego on a boarded up building called the "El Cortez". They were doing Australians rapelling.

Cool insight Gunny but I do believe that you are wrong regarding on to the origins of the "Rainbow" name and its meaning/context in the Tom Clancy universe. In the first few chapters in the R6 novel John Clark details and explains what the meaning of "Rainbow" is. It was chosen because of the the fact that it would be a multi national team of counter terrorist operatives from many different countries hence the different colors of the "rainbow". I don't doubt your memory one bit but I believe the interview with Tom Clancy himself may be referencing ST6 as the real world model/example he based "Rainbow" in the TC Universe upon. The book was first published in 1998 and at that time (although not officially) recognized there were already many references regarding ST6. Remember Richard Marchinko? Original plank owner to both Red Cell (pre-cursor group to ST6) and ST6. His first book Rouge Warrior was published in the early 90's and discusses quite a bit about the origins of Red Cell ST6.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.