Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4194332 - 11/14/15 04:35 AM Tactical help needed: shooting down early war 2 seaters  
F9F Panther Offline
F9F Panther  Offline

Tsawwassen, BC, Canada
Gentles all,
Recently bought RoF and am loving it, but have a question about shooting down 2 seaters.
I am playing mostly quick missions to learn game controls, flight models, etc, and recently set up skirmish of 3 sopwith pups (me) versus 3 Roland CIII's. To make a long story short...I can't seem to down more than 1 of the 2 seaters until I get shot up. I have no problem 3 pup's versus 5 albatross DII's, or any other early war match-up, but the two seaters are a tough nut to crack.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,
F9F Panther
aka: Jack Nastyface

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4194566 - 11/15/15 12:09 AM Re: Tactical help needed: shooting down early war 2 seaters [Re: F9F Panther]  
VMIalpha454 Offline
VMIalpha454  Offline

Chattanooga, Tn
Greetings, Panther,

Glad you are enjoying RoF. Concerning your issue with the two seaters, I will give you my opinion. When fighting anything with a rear firing machine gun your tactics invariably have to adapt from what you would do against a forward firing aircraft such as a scout. It seems obvious, but early on I ran into a similar difficulty as you seem to be having. I had a tendency to try to take a good shooting position behind the target and bring it down, but I almost always ended up with a dying engine or worse. The best tactic I have found is to execute a steep, fast dive, while firing as I pass. I use the energy gained in the dive to come back up for another pass from underneath the target. I countinue this tactic until I am able to bring them down. You will have to use trial and error to figure out the best place to target on the enemy aircraft...some have vulnerable wings, others I target the engine and pilot...it just depends. I have achieved much more success using this tactic and can often manage to bring down several 2 seaters and receive little damage myself. I suppose the biggest trick is to make yourself a hard target to hit, and to exploit the limitations of the enemy gunner's field of fire. Hope you find this helpful.

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918
#4194971 - 11/16/15 04:39 AM Re: Tactical help needed: shooting down early war 2 seaters [Re: F9F Panther]  
F9F Panther Offline
F9F Panther  Offline

Tsawwassen, BC, Canada
VMIalpha,
Thanks for the notes - I'll try some zoom-n-boom stuff very soon. Admittedly, perhaps the parameters I have been setting in Quick Mission builder (3 Sopwith pups versus 3 Roland CIIs, same altitude, head on, with 1 km of separation) didn't leave much (read: any) room for gaining altitude and then doing a diving attack.

#4196411 - 11/19/15 07:50 PM Re: Tactical help needed: shooting down early war 2 seaters [Re: F9F Panther]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
An easier matchup might be switching sides and taking an Albatros D.ii (or D.iii) against a Sopwith Strutter. Then you have much more of a speed advantage - the pup is actually slower than the Roland c.ii, according to this really useful chart.

Fighting 2 seaters that are just as fast as you is really really hard.

#4197199 - 11/21/15 04:40 PM Re: Tactical help needed: shooting down early war 2 seaters [Re: F9F Panther]  
RedVonHammer Offline
RedVonHammer  Offline

Norway
With slower plane (that is more maneuverable) I either gain the advantage in altitude and make a slower dive from behind to hose the fuselage (hopefully killing the gunner and knocking out the fuel tank/radiator), and contrary to short bursts, I shoot long bursts (RoF actually makes guns jam on short bursts rather than long ones).
Alternatively I sneak up from below and steal enough pot shots that I can take out the tank/radiator.

Either way, when I get the target leaking, there is no hope for it, I simply leave it alone to land/crash instead of facing a ferocious rear gunner smile
If I get the gunner on said pass/pot shot, I try to finish it off sooner, but not if there are enemy fighters around.

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.