Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4197115 - 11/21/15 12:10 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: TychosElk]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: TychosElk

The conclusion I have drawn is that the numbers only have any meaning for the data they actually represent.

As for the BoS forum, it seems to have over 64,000 members.

Well the numbers I posted from BOS's own forum that shows owners of the game..."represent" just that...owners of the game. If they purchased the game...they will have a gold or silver tag next to their name in the forum and were counted in the stats I posted.

I'm just posting the information that's available to us. If you want to think that BOS/BOM is some sort of runaway success even though everything available to us shows otherwise...that's fine. I'm just bummed that the $100 I spent on BOS probably won't pan out to be a good investment since they're going for a different audience.

Yes...I know the argument about trying to "get new players". It won't work IMO when there are more popular and free versions of what they're trying to do.

Two words that no flight simmer wants to hear from a developer "more accessible". That's what Microsoft tried to do with Flight. It failed. So a couple years later MSFS X gets re-released and almost half a million folks buy it.

BOS might be a "new" game but the IL-2 brand has had a loyal following for 14 years...and most of those fans are passing on this hybrid game/sim.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4197116 - 11/21/15 12:12 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: dburne]  
TychosElk Offline
TychosElk  Offline

Originally Posted By: dburne

Lol now that is rich.

It is data from the same source that Force10 is citing. Check for yourself...

#4197118 - 11/21/15 12:19 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: TychosElk]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

Lol now that is rich.

I bet thats including the spam bots. biggrin

#4197119 - 11/21/15 12:20 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: TychosElk]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

No need to, some things are just too obvious to waste any time on.
Kind of like their decisions to add tanks and mouse control ( the latter which they stated earlier they would never do).

Last edited by dburne; 11/21/15 12:22 PM.

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4197125 - 11/21/15 12:45 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
Apparently, you can be a member of a forum and not actually own the respective game. Why would anyone want to? People are strange

Last edited by Extreme_One; 11/21/15 12:46 PM.
#4197146 - 11/21/15 02:07 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Quote:
3. Mouse controls. There was a long time dilemma in simulation genre caused by the fact that realistic flight physics mean that a newcomer should have a certain level of initial knowledge and skills (understanding basic principles like 'flight is speed', 'don't turn the flight stick to its limit', 'be more attentive at lower altitudes', etc.) and have controller equipment of a certain level (namely a joystick that is much less widespread gaming device today than it was ten years ago). This sets a pretty high entry barrier for newcomers who want to try the sim genre.

On the other hand, adding simplified flight physics (where a plane can be flown using just cursor keys on the keyboard and where it can't enter uncontrollable spin caused by rough handling for example) to accommodate new players leads to unsolvable problem - this won't give a player the feeling of realistic flight at all, robbing him or her of the very reason of simulation. Is there any point in playing a simplified physics flight in a sim which is all about realistic flight? In addition, this divides the community between those who fly using simplified and full physics modeling since they can't fly the same multiplayer mission.

The answer to this dilemma is a special 'advanced helper' that receives 'I want to do this but I don't know how to' commands from a player and translates them to real plane controls input, not touching physics level at all. This comes with a price however, as everything in life - the helper chooses optimal 'right' trajectories, which simultaneously prevents a player from critical errors and limits the extreme maneuvers the plane can perform like Barrel roll, Snap roll, Hummerhead, Sideslip and others. This enables players who use a mouse and players who use a joystick to fly together and don't have a clear advantage caused by their control device. Winning a fight requires tactical positioning and understanding the composition of air fight, what, we feel, is the goal in this situation.
It is important to note that mouse control helper governs only pitch, roll and yaw. Controlling engine, flaps, brakes, armament and everything else is the same as on joystick. This allows mouse controls to be used in Normal and Expert modes just like joystick - differences (and difficulties) are the same.

Furthermore,
in case a part of the community feels they want to play only with players who use a joystick, we added a special option to dedicated server configuration that allows a server owner to restrict the control scheme to joystick.

I think this is a very good way to implement something like this.. and it certainly is no War Thunder.

As for the BoS forum, it seems to have over 64,000 members, of which about 38,000 have joined in the last year.

Some of those members on the forum are spambots.. There is a sizeable membership though.

In any case, when considering BoS sales and subsequently BoM sales, in my opinion one must consider the negative campaign waged against the sim. Whether justified to a greater or lesser degree of course is debatable from either side of the debate but it cannot be denied that this sim had a campaign waged against it since it's initial announcement that only got louder, more vocal, and more constant regardless to what improvements came from the developers and I don't think any sim has had this.. not even CoD because by the time CoD got to this point it was abandoned by it's developers. In spite of that the sim has still progressed considerably from it's initial release and perhaps had it just been allowed to go through the normal phases of development without the constant tide of high profile (and sometimes deserved) criticism it's sales figures might be a little different. Even now inspite of all that has been accomplished with this title there are still those who beat that half empty drum with the same vigor and tempo that they used when there was a lot more to complain about and a lot less "sim" in the mix.

Originally Posted By: Johnny_Redd

This game is like a train wreck. The enjoyment I get from it is wondering how long it will take the rest of you guys to finally get that eureka moment. That what you want is far from what the devs are going to give you.
Oh and the actual facts?

Originally Posted By: Johnny_Redd
This game could have been great, it could have been sooooo much more than what it is. Every decision loft makes the game haemorrhages more players. Why try to compete with warthunder? The folk who bought this game didn't want Warthunder. The folk loft is trying to attract already have Warthunder. They are not going to spend their money on this. There just not. Loft is out of his depth, he doesn't know what he's doing.

Actually.... while not all things to all people.. this series is far far from a trainwreck. In fact it gets better and better every month... I don't think they are trying to compete with WT.. I think they are trying to provide an alternative to WT and I think that is pretty smart given the pool of potential simmers who will sooner or later get tired of what WT has to offer... This team has made some missteps for sure.. but I like the fact that regardless to how many times the stumble.. they get back up and continue in the same direction.. I look forward to getting a P-39, Hurri, and dare I dream a Mustang under these FMs..

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4197170 - 11/21/15 03:16 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Any negativity this dev team has had to deal with is a direct reflection of their marketing strategies, game development, and delivery. Not the people who tried the game.

You reap what you sow. Spit out crap and people will tell you how it taste. Spit out crap and insult people that bought it, people will tell you how it taste and how dumb you are for being insulting.

BC trying to make it sound like there was a "campaign" to make the game fail is absurd. Every negative stop on this tour was a direct result of bad decisions by this development team. From shady tactics, to loose promises, wacky gameplay decisions, all followed by insults to the community that supported it, and funded it.

Bottom line if this was a great game the negatives would be outshined much more than they are today. Take any game with a great following and you will find negatives....but you have to search harder for them. A bad game....well the negatives are much more present....because its bad.

Sure some people like you and other die hards like it. Great for you. The numbers and small community trying to keep it afloat might see more content. Then again, the new blood coming in might see past its offering and move back to WT and the like, when they realize price/content/fun does not stack up to other offerings, and we are back to the beginning again.

Maybe implement customizable drivable jeeps and gets some of that Need for Speed crowd next?

#4197174 - 11/21/15 03:35 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bearcat99

In any case, when considering BoS sales and subsequently BoM sales, in my opinion one must consider the negative campaign waged against the sim. Whether justified to a greater or lesser degree of course is debatable from either side of the debate but it cannot be denied that this sim had a campaign waged against it since it's initial announcement that only got louder, more vocal, and more constant regardless to what improvements came from the developers and I don't think any sim has had this..

Actually that is not quite accurate. The large amount of negativity and subsequent loss of players, came after the initial release. Well about a week prior, when the campaign and unlocks were unleashed.

I too was involved in the early access from Day 1, and there was not a large campaign against BOS for much of the time of EA. Sure there was a little negativity as there will always be with all sims, but for the most part during the majority of EA the feedback was very positive with each update. I was certainly one of those very excited with each update, and posting very positive feedback all during the bulk of EA, as many others who no longer are there did at the time.

The large amount of negativity and pushback came, after the release of the aforementioned campaign/unlocks, locking down the time acceleration because guys were using that with autopilot to get the unlocks. This was just prior to release, and then also at that time the Metacritic reviews that really upset the devs... all this happening right before the grand release of the sim.

That is when all this consternation began , and why so many simmers - especially coming from the IL-2 franchise, were so upset and disappointed.
And bottom line, played a very large part in the decline in sales of BOM EA versus BOS EA.

While I have not played it since, I still have it installed and may have another go once PWCG gets to final form. But frankly just speaking from my perspective, I am not very excited about the direction they seem to be taking. But that is ok, I am just one flight simmer.

Last edited by dburne; 11/21/15 03:37 PM.

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4197177 - 11/21/15 03:38 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Well we can't afford to loose all of our game developers and so we should support them...leading them where we want them to go will be dictated by popular demand numbers...I would think

Last edited by SlipBall; 11/21/15 03:43 PM.

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#4197178 - 11/21/15 03:42 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
[quote]3. Mouse controls. There was a long time dilemma in simulation genre caused by the fact ...

The history show that what the dev's post in DD's dont say exactly what they plan. smile

Anyway fly with mouse looks "obsolete", the way is: wink

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODAyOTE2NTU2.html?from=y1.2-1-105.3.3-2.1-1-1-2-0

#4197183 - 11/21/15 03:52 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
Dakpilot Offline
Dakpilot  Offline

Earlier today there were 216 people on Project Cars forum and 119 on BoS forum at the same point in time, with Project car's sales of between 1 and 2 million+ I would say there is reasonable interest in BoS/flight sims, as far as forum numbers go

When mouse control was added to RoF it took nothing away, if there had been a negative effect it would have been noted, the tech was already in place for BoS introduction, having that feature/option makes it no less a sim than IL-2 having Wonder woman view to be honest.
The tech demo/implementation for Tanks was done even before BoS was in early access, how this detracts from BoS's development as a flight sim, or a change in direction I fail to see, the content/updates produced during a short period give credence to that, compared to any other flight sim.

What was achieved with DCS and (non TF)CloD in a similar time period? with PWCG, summer maps new BoM A/C and new SP/MP missions being created on a regular basis, the future is much brighter than many would like to seemingly portray.

I would challenge any of the 'detractors' who own the game to take part in one of the Friday night Co-ops

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/16460-friday-night-bomber-flights/?p=305827

and see for themselves

Cheers Dakpilot

#4197209 - 11/21/15 05:27 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: dburne]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA

Actually that is not quite accurate. The large amount of negativity and subsequent loss of players, came after the initial release. Well about a week prior, when the campaign and unlocks were unleashed.

I too was involved in the early access from Day 1, and there was not a large campaign against BOS for much of the time of EA. Sure there was a little negativity as there will always be with all sims, but for the most part during the majority of EA the feedback was very positive with each update. I was certainly one of those very excited with each update, and posting very positive feedback all during the bulk of EA, as many others who no longer are there did at the time.

The large amount of negativity and pushback came, after the release of the aforementioned campaign/unlocks, locking down the time acceleration because guys were using that with autopilot to get the unlocks. This was just prior to release, and then also at that time the Metacritic reviews that really upset the devs... all this happening right before the grand release of the sim.

That is when all this consternation began , and why so many simmers - especially coming from the IL-2 franchise, were so upset and disappointed.
And bottom line, played a very large part in the decline in sales of BOM EA versus BOS EA.

Yes but there was always a string of very vocal opposition to this sim that only got louder and actually fanned the flames once the devs began to shoot themselves in the foot.. There were definitely some missteps.. that cannot be denied.. One would have to be blind to not see that....and some of the criticism was earned... but I stand by the statement that a lot of it was over the top and relentless ...

but be all that is it may be and have been .. Things are looking better now and I hope the PWCG gives you more of what you always wanted from this sim. From the moment you arrived at IL2 you always stated that SP was paramount to you.. and of course you were not alone in that respect.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4197212 - 11/21/15 05:40 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

Things are looking better now and I hope the PWCG gives you more of what you always wanted from this sim. From the moment you arrived at IL2 you always stated that SP was paramount to you.. and of course you were not alone in that respect.

Yep so do I , and I will give it a try when Pat gets it to what he considers a final release.

Don

#4197250 - 11/21/15 07:49 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
J9 posted a link to a recent gaming industry study that I can't find (hopefully he'll repost it) so this is kinda half arsed until I see the report again:

1. The study included both console and PC gaming with stratified data on both.

2. The study showed the average PC gamer is 35 years old, with the younger and older gamers fairly evenly distributed above and below that age. 35 year olds are apparently the heart of PC gaming with just as many 50 year olds playing as there are 20 year olds. PC gaming is not a kids or teens centric market.

3. The study showed the most popular PC games to be strategy and role playing type games with flight sims being something like 1 or 2% of the market within the PC gaming segment.

I was really surprised by points 2 and 3 above, considering what seems like a focus on younger gamers with BoS. Going after 1 or 2% of a market with an average age of 35, I would think you would initially come out with a laser focus on age 35. I just don't see that with BoS. PWCG will help BoS with this crowd, but if that was part of the 1CGS strategy all along, it was high risk looking for the heart of your market segment to be satisfied by a 3rd party app. You might hope for more fringe sales to be picked up by a 3rd party app, but to rely on your core customer sales to be driven by a 3rd party app baffles me (Pat Wilson could be hit by a bus tomorrow - hopefully not hahaha ). If the study showed the average age of PC gamers to be about 16 or 17 then I would understand a lot of what 1CGS has done. Age 35, I don't get it.

If I was a journalist for a gaming magazine who was interviewing 1CGS, the first question I would ask them would be: "With the average age of PC gamers being 35 on a standard deviation bell curve, what is your marketing strategy."

Like Don, I am waiting for the dust to settle with PWCG for BoS before I start using it, but I'm sure I'll be quite happy with it. So I'm not complaining, just curious why 1CGS is not moving towards the center to find more sales. This is kind of like politics: you've got to pick up your base first, then look for additional opportunities with other voters. Same with customers.

I just don't get Loft's strategy of "Hey Mr. 35 year old (who, if they enjoy flight sims are going to bring their experience with IL-2 1946 to the BoS customer experience) BoS is quick, fast, and not too complicated." These characteristics are pretty much the opposite of IL-2 1946 and its predecessors, games that sold close to 2 million copies in total.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4197257 - 11/21/15 08:06 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: SlipBall]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
Originally Posted By: SlipBall
Well we can't afford to loose all of our game developers and so we should support them...leading them where we want them to go will be dictated by popular demand numbers...I would think

That doesn't make any sense at all.
By your logic, when a flight-sim developer builds a crap game, you should buy it just to support them.

That idea flies in the face of common sense.
If you reward bad practice it simply reinfirces the idea that bad practice is, not only acceptable but, what people want.

Vote with your wallet.
Buy good product, leave bad product on the shelf. It's simple common sense.

#4197265 - 11/21/15 08:37 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
D13th_Korn Offline
D13th_Korn  Offline

[quote]when considering BoS sales and subsequently BoM sales, in my opinion one must consider the negative campaign waged against the sim.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/campaign
campaign
1 A series of military operations intended to achieve a goal, confined to a particular area, or
involving a specified type of fighting:
‘a desert campaign’
[mass noun]: ‘the army set off on campaign’
More example sentences
Synonyms
1.1 An organized course of action to achieve a goal:
‘an election campaign’
‘the campaign for a full inquiry into the regime’

There's no campaign, bro. There's just people thinking the game sucks. Some thinking the devs suck. Some both. There's no organized effort. Just guys' opinions. No conspiracy.

#4197290 - 11/21/15 09:51 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
Dakpilot Offline
Dakpilot  Offline

I guess the attempt to hijack the wiki page, spamming of every flight sim Utube channel and numerous sites and the campaign to drive the "its a game not a sim...the dev's are thieves etc," to the top of BoS google search page, multiple account reviews and much more organised by a well known person and supported by some, including members of certain groups never happened.

But that is past history and best left behind, but to deny it happened is very rose tinted glasses stuff

Cheers Dakpilot

#4197293 - 11/21/15 10:02 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Dakpilot]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

A 'campaign' with 1 (one) very disappointed customer. (Who had every right to be disappointed by my book)

screwy

Last edited by robtek; 11/21/15 10:03 PM.
#4197297 - 11/21/15 10:17 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: Bearcat99]  
Dakpilot Offline
Dakpilot  Offline

Obviously supported by you winkngrin

Cheers Dakpilot

#4197298 - 11/21/15 10:19 PM Re: Developer Diary 114 [Re: KodiakJac]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort
J9 posted a link to a recent gaming industry study that I can't find (hopefully he'll repost it) so this is kinda half arsed until I see the report again:

1. The study included both console and PC gaming with stratified data on both.

2. The study showed the average PC gamer is 35 years old, with the younger and older gamers fairly evenly distributed above and below that age. 35 year olds are apparently the heart of PC gaming with just as many 50 year olds playing as there are 20 year olds. PC gaming is not a kids or teens centric market.

3. The study showed the most popular PC games to be strategy and role playing type games with flight sims being something like 1 or 2% of the market within the PC gaming segment.

I was really surprised by points 2 and 3 above, considering what seems like a focus on younger gamers with BoS. Going after 1 or 2% of a market with an average age of 35, I would think you would initially come out with a laser focus on age 35. I just don't see that with BoS. PWCG will help BoS with this crowd, but if that was part of the 1CGS strategy all along, it was high risk looking for the heart of your market segment to be satisfied by a 3rd party app. You might hope for more fringe sales to be picked up by a 3rd party app, but to rely on your core customer sales to be driven by a 3rd party app baffles me (Pat Wilson could be hit by a bus tomorrow - hopefully not hahaha ). If the study showed the average age of PC gamers to be about 16 or 17 then I would understand a lot of what 1CGS has done. Age 35, I don't get it.

If I was a journalist for a gaming magazine who was interviewing 1CGS, the first question I would ask them would be: "With the average age of PC gamers being 35 on a standard deviation bell curve, what is your marketing strategy."

Like Don, I am waiting for the dust to settle with PWCG for BoS before I start using it, but I'm sure I'll be quite happy with it. So I'm not complaining, just curious why 1CGS is not moving towards the center to find more sales. This is kind of like politics: you've got to pick up your base first, then look for additional opportunities with other voters. Same with customers.

I just don't get Loft's strategy of "Hey Mr. 35 year old (who, if they enjoy flight sims are going to bring their experience with IL-2 1946 to the BoS customer experience) BoS is quick, fast, and not too complicated." These characteristics are pretty much the opposite of IL-2 1946 and its predecessors, games that sold close to 2 million copies in total.

I believe this is the post you are referring to:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4183537/Re:_Size_of_community_on_CoD?#Post4183537

The document:
2015 SALES, DEMOGRAPHIC AND USAGE DATA... GAME INDUSTRY

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  CyBerkut 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.