Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
#4195961 - 11/18/15 07:07 PM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: robmypro]  
amnwrx Offline
amnwrx  Offline

Originally Posted By: robmypro

And the real problem is, why spend money on DCS when you can have BMS for free?

I agree! But to be fair this is accually backwards. I just had to spend 9.99 to get falcon 4.0 after misplacing my original copy while moving. DCS is free to play, obviously you need to pay to get the modules (I've spent a lot on DCS) and 9.99 is a steal for a sim like BMS (awesome free mod). Like I mentioned earlier I play both depending on preference, I don't see a need to rack and stack.

Last edited by amnwrx; 11/18/15 07:11 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4195963 - 11/18/15 07:10 PM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: amnwrx]  
robmypro Offline
robmypro  Offline

Originally Posted By: amnwrx

Originally Posted By: robmypro

And the real problem is, why spend money on DCS when you can have BMS for free?

I agree! But to be fair this is accually backwards. I just had to spend 9.99 to get falcon 4.0 after misplacing my original copy while moving. DCS is free to play, obviously you need to pay to get the modules (I've spent a lot on DCS) and 9.99 is a steal for a sim like BMS. Like I mentioned earlier I play both depending on preference, I don't see a need to rack and stack.

Best $10 ever spent. lol

Yeah, play what you like. They both have pros and cons.

#4195987 - 11/18/15 08:10 PM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn
83% of internet statistics are made up...

#4196010 - 11/18/15 09:03 PM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: ST0RM]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted By: ST0RM
83% of internet statistics are made up...

thankfully I formed my opinion based on my day-to-day experience in the community and not by researching it smile

#4196063 - 11/18/15 11:42 PM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
wink

all that the developer seems to have managed to do is to thread water since LOFC and LOBS came out.

there was a burst of interest with the A-10C that petered out, a pity.

The modules are far too complex, the development time, for the complexity, is far too long. Dcs in its core form is a training aid for the military. As a consumer entertainment product it sucks. It really does. It's not ment to be entertainment. Folk who think the devs are doing this for the community are kidding themselves. There is no military sideline for the ww2 modules and look how far down the to do list that has slid. The amount of trainers being developed tells the whole story. Someone said they regret spending money on BoS, I regret every penny spent on dcs. The spotting issues made the ww2 aircraft all but useless unless they were used as ground pounders. The phantom trees are laughable for 2015. At least BoS has collidable trees, it has done many things wrong but that they got right.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4196092 - 11/19/15 01:21 AM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
Great post Johnny_Redd. That's pretty much what I'm trying to say- it's a great training aid but poor game. I wrote a long dissertation on that in a thread here a while back.

IMHO most of us want a game. We want a realistic sim, too, but more than that we want to be entertained. If you stripped out the dynamic campaign from Falcon and made it a TE sim only, like DCS, I don't think it would be nearly as popular as it is. Falcon and Jane's F/A-18 were both released about the same time, and we can see who got more of the modding love.

Edit: Here's the thread I stared on this topic, and it still seems relevant today.

DCS-It's not what you want post

Last edited by toonces; 11/19/15 01:31 AM.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#4196100 - 11/19/15 01:47 AM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
they mismanaged their community, mishandled its expectations, mistreated its mod makers and broke their own self imposed deadlines time and again, I am sure that they expected things to turn out different, but it did not.

yet, we all are still around and playing the sim.

any news on when can we expect to see DCSW 2 released and the Spitfire, P-47D and Normandy map, will it ever see the light of day ?

#4196139 - 11/19/15 05:44 AM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
yet, we all are still around and playing the sim.

Not really smile
I mean, for me I'm here to read looking for news that could indicate reasons to fly DCS more often than once every update release.

At best I goof around half an hour in the P-51 or Su-25 every second week trying to figure out why the heck I'm flying.
It sure looks good but the most important aspect, the game Component, is totally missing just like toonces say.

The only thing over the last half year that got me flying a few Days in a row was MBot's "dynamic singleplayer" missin that I ported to FC3 planes and a few others but even that one is on hold until 1.5 is out so I can see targets in the P-51 Before the bump into my fuselage.

(random mid sentence uppercase characters is handed to you all by this texteditor for reasons a European like me fail to see but I can't find the effort to correct them)

#4196170 - 11/19/15 08:54 AM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I'm playing once or twice a week, usually coop/training with my squad and I'm having the time of my life with DCS as far as flightsims go. If I would play DCS exclusively offline I'd play a lot less. And I feel for those wanting more singleplayer content.

Playing on the Blue Flag campaign server was the most enjoyable gaming experience for me since the days of the old IL2 online wars.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4196445 - 11/19/15 08:58 PM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: Johnny_Redd]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn
Originally Posted By: Johnny_Redd

Dcs in its core form is a training aid for the military...
It's not ment to be entertainment.
There is no military sideline for the ww2 modules ...
The amount of trainers being developed tells the whole story.

I've been bringing up these same points for a long time. NTTR and the level of fidelity it has been created to, was the give-away. And I'm sure we're not getting what is to be used by the military. Detail wise.

-Jeff

#4196451 - 11/19/15 09:10 PM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
Boomer Offline
(v) Viper Driver
Boomer  Offline
(v) Viper Driver

I am waiting on NTTR to pass final judgement.

But, seriously, ED is gonna have to move away from these training and ww2 aircraft and refocus on tactical combat jets.

Last edited by Boomer; 11/19/15 09:34 PM.

"Learning to fly the Falcon is just your ticket to the dance" - Pete 'Boomer' Bonanni.
#4196458 - 11/19/15 09:22 PM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

The military doesn't need trainers in DCS IMHO. They're literally useless when they have the following two things:

1) Real trainers
2) If in simulation, a guy watching over your shoulder.

ED is doing one trainer, and various 3rd parties are doing their own.
Those are useful in a squadron context with the right people; some want to teach US instruments, some want to teach Russian instruments.

Some want to use a higher powered trainer, some lower powered.

As for WW2 planes, they're here to stay. Both ED and 3rd parties are working on those.

So, seriously, just because you don't like some type of aircraft, doesn't mean there aren't those who can appreciate it.

--
44th VFW
#4196464 - 11/19/15 09:36 PM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: GrayGhost]  
Boomer Offline
(v) Viper Driver
Boomer  Offline
(v) Viper Driver

Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
just because you don't like some type of aircraft, doesn't mean there aren't those who can appreciate it.

The issue of concern for me (and others) is dilution of limited resources.

You are correct, however, opinions vary now dont they...?

;-)

"Learning to fly the Falcon is just your ticket to the dance" - Pete 'Boomer' Bonanni.
#4196483 - 11/19/15 10:32 PM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: ST0RM]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted By: ST0RM
Originally Posted By: Johnny_Redd

Dcs in its core form is a training aid for the military...
It's not ment to be entertainment.
There is no military sideline for the ww2 modules ...
The amount of trainers being developed tells the whole story.

I've been bringing up these same points for a long time. NTTR and the level of fidelity it has been created to, was the give-away. And I'm sure we're not getting what is to be used by the military. Detail wise.

-Jeff

what we have is a hodgepodge of aircraft searching for a common theme ...

#4196498 - 11/19/15 11:37 PM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: GrayGhost]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
The military doesn't need trainers in DCS IMHO. They're literally useless when they have the following two things:

1) Real trainers
2) If in simulation, a guy watching over your shoulder.

ED is doing one trainer, and various 3rd parties are doing their own.
Those are useful in a squadron context with the right people; some want to teach US instruments, some want to teach Russian instruments.

Some want to use a higher powered trainer, some lower powered.

As for WW2 planes, they're here to stay. Both ED and 3rd parties are working on those.

So, seriously, just because you don't like some type of aircraft, doesn't mean there aren't those who can appreciate it.

The player base don't need trainers in DCS IMO. They're literally useless when we have the following things
1. Ability to respawn
2. The ability to learn a real combat aircraft without the fear of destroying it.
3. The option to save ones money and not purchase the useless module.

I see absolutely no other reason to develop trainer aircraft than as a military contract. The tired old arguments from ED and their forum moderators concerning the kickstarter money being barely enough for one aircraft FM makes the decision to develop trainers for the gaming community mind bogglingly retarded. Seriously, how many folk are going to buy those things? Not enough to make the development time financially viable I'll wager.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4196505 - 11/19/15 11:47 PM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
WaveHopper Offline
WaveHopper  Offline

I completely agree redd. It strikes me this is something they developed for another customer and are flogging to the general public.

Who here even knew of the albatross before this module appeared?

I'd also add that they managed to conjure up an actual L39 pilot just to give a video presentation? No, he was on staff to oversee accuracy for the military contract would be my guess. That's an expenditure they would not have paid out for on a module for the average punter.

Last edited by WaveHopper; 11/19/15 11:51 PM.
#4196506 - 11/19/15 11:47 PM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
ObvilionLost Offline
ObvilionLost  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
The problem is that most modern jets have some parts of them classified. Good luck making high quality simulation when complete information not available. Hell, probably even older jets such as Su-24 still have some parts classified. Yet people still want modern DCS quality jet.

Last edited by ObvilionLost; 11/19/15 11:48 PM.
#4196517 - 11/19/15 11:57 PM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
WaveHopper Offline
WaveHopper  Offline

You'll never get true authenticity, and I would have serious reservations if you did. Don't forget that these are highly sophisticated weapons and no government in their right mind would allow the average joe to have access to a truthful represention of any aircraft.

A trainer? Not really an issue.

Who here would be okay with any person having in depth working knowledge of a modern, active aircraft?

#4196524 - 11/20/15 12:25 AM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: WaveHopper]  
Boomer Offline
(v) Viper Driver
Boomer  Offline
(v) Viper Driver

Originally Posted By: WaveHopper
You'll never get true authenticity, and I would have serious reservations if you did. Don't forget that these are highly sophisticated weapons and no government in their right mind would allow the average joe to have access to a truthful represention of any aircraft.

Hard to say in some cases: the Bug has been around for over 30 years and I doubt there's ANYTHING not publicly known about it now. Undoubtedly why ED chose it for hardcore love...[heh that sounds wrong?].

Trouble is, too many resources are diverted by *cough* irrelevant and obscure jets. Third party devs, sure, but still you have to think diverting ED's internal dev attention in some respects.

If they had focused exclusively on the Bug, Id wager it would be out to us on beta or better now.

Hence my ongoing frustration.

#4196535 - 11/20/15 01:07 AM Re: Wags require to the community [Re: Silver_Dragon]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
There is no reason they (ED) can't either:

1) make a best guess approximation of classified portions of a modern jet

or

2) stick with somewhat older jets that are unclassified.

The F-4 Phantom is a perfect example of a jet that has never been properly modeled in a combat environment to my knowledge. With two-seat MP capability, and a perfect adversary like the MiG-21, this could be hugely popular IMO. Certainly moreso than an L-39.

Frankly, though, if something is classified, the only ones who will know exactly how their sim jet differs from the real jet will be people "in the know." Close enough really is good enough for a video game.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.