Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4195656 - 11/17/15 07:53 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
robmypro Offline
robmypro  Offline

Personally, I think BMS is in much better position than ED. BMS could develop a second, third, fourth study sim level a/c using the base they have. I have asked the question, and there is no technical reason they cannot do it. I would love to see ED move in the right direction, but let's be honest. Building a study sim level a/c is a heck of a lot easier than developing a dynamic campaign, and the host of other parts currently missing from DCS.

Again, there is nothing stopping anyone from developing a study sim level A-10, F-15, Mig 29, etc. in BMS. When that happens, and it is free, I just think ED has their work cut out for them.

As far as graphics go, I think there is a threshold where graphics don't matter. When I am in the cockpit in BMS, the graphics just melt away. They are way beyond the threshold where immersion is impacted. I suspect they will continue to improve, as will more theaters, a/c, etc.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4195679 - 11/17/15 09:20 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: - Ice]  
CTR69 Offline
CTR69  Offline

Both sims are equal in the initial learning phase, where everyone is busy starting up the jet and then doing the various weapons and systems training missions to wrap up everything the planes are capable of. There's just as much stuff to learn in BMS as there is in DCS.

But where BMS really takes off, is when you start using the plane as a weapon in the "real world combat" of the 24/7 multiple-missions generator. Feels very much like being a fighter pilot. Doing training in controlled environment, then stepping out into campaign mode, where anything can happen. Uncertainty before takeoff and relief after landing, this feeling is unmatched.

#4195689 - 11/17/15 10:05 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

If I have to be brutally honest I find DCS easier to use.

Let me explain:
the most complex airframe I have in DCS is the A10 and having the Thrustmaster Warthog it requires me 0 time to set up controls.

All the others (Uh1, the Mustang, the Fw 190 and even the F86) take 10 minutes each to set as they have a barebone structure. Fex axis, few keys.

Unfortunately having a HUGE amount of switches to set up in the BMS F16, F18 and all the other flyable goodies (I literally drool thinking just about that!) proves also a big hurdle.

I have no idea how to set them and that simply demoralizes me.
I tried a bit- I also wanted, REALLY, to simply fly the BMS A10... I simply don't have all that time.

Now I'm not saying DCS is better- at all. I fly it simply as it's for me the most viable choice.

That is, until someone comes up with a pre-made profile for the Warthog.

Which, while I type, probably exist already and if I just googled that instead of writing this post I'd probably be playing already...

*thinking*

You know? It's the coolest time to be a flight simmer.
biggrin

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4195717 - 11/17/15 11:33 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
jdbecks Offline
Room Clear!
jdbecks  Offline
Room Clear!

England
i think most people would pay for a persistent dynamic campaign in dcs, I would. They also need a multi role fighter either Russian or nato.

And if they could have multiplayer servers that were presistent 24/7 until win conditions were meet, it would be even better.

#4195734 - 11/18/15 01:10 AM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
It would take more than a dynamic campaign to bring DCS to life. With Falcon 4 you have the pre-mission planning, post-mission debriefing, everything that gives you the impression your playing a part in a war; then, there's that dynamic campaign.

Like someone said, would help DCS to have a multi-role fighter. Opens a whole new world of missions in Falcon 4.

And for God's sake, play both! Not many left.

ps BMS v4.33 is GREAT! Thank you BenchMarkSim's!!!

#4195746 - 11/18/15 02:29 AM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: tirta]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted By: tirta
I do not understand why after all these years,
dcs developer does not feel the need to make dynamic campaign,
instead we get those static boring campaign.

Dynamic campaign is the reason why I still play bms, eech and ef2000,
and why I do not play dcs anymore.

Not just that. DCS modules, well, at least the American ones, do not really "interact" with each other. You can put in an F-15 with an A-10 but there's no way they will "work" with each other. The A-10 is too slow to keep up with the F-15. Compare that with a Strike F-16 and a CAP F-16..... both will obviously have the same speed and would be easy for one to support the other despite their different "roles"

A long time ago, a few guys and myself tried mixing up BS2 and A-10C, with the Shark working like a FAC once all the ordnance was spent. It was awkward to say the least!

As for those that said my "review" was spot-on, thanks guys! That took a lot of self-control to write!! Unfortunately, seeing this makes me very disappointed whenever I "remember" that the DCS line exists. I was such a fanboi of A-10C that I bought BS2 just to support DCS but when they came out with Combined Arms and announced WWII, I had to step back in surprise. That was, as you guys will remember, the start of the downhill slope. I'd love to be wrong about DCS... maybe DCS World 2.0 will bring many surprises and bring me back into their airspace. As it is, the Mirage was the biggest temptation I had a month or so ago, but again, problems have reared their ugly heads and again, I am both happy and sad that I was right about staying away.

FORTUNATELY, BMS now brings so many aircraft into THEIR myriad of theatres (Balkans, Israel, Korea...) that if it was hard enough to be proficient at ONE aircraft, well.... *cough! cough!* Hornet! *cough!*

- Ice
#4195750 - 11/18/15 02:42 AM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: komemiute]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Originally Posted By: komemiute
Unfortunately having a HUGE amount of switches to set up in the BMS F16, F18 and all the other flyable goodies (I literally drool thinking just about that!) proves also a big hurdle.

I tried a bit- I also wanted, REALLY, to simply fly the BMS A10... I simply don't have all that time.

Well rest easy. Every plane is really just a faceplate over the F-16. Any switches that are selectable in a non-Viper flyable are simply a callback to an identical function in the F-16. If you go to the DOCS folder and find the FA-18 pdf you will find that each switch has its F-16 keymap callback listed. And it is here where we need to keep it honest. DCS models their planes and helos with nearly a clean slate. BMS allows only a few tweaks away from the underlying F-16 in order to create a plausible flyable.

#4195753 - 11/18/15 02:46 AM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: Davemetalhead]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MigBuster
DCS does some things better than BMS
BMS does some things better than DCS

So does FSX do some things better than P3D or XP10 and vice versa.

Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
Having said that, I do think the arrival of new theaters and aircraft, will even things out a bit. If you compare the city visuals in BMS with those in Nellis previews, to me BMS suddenly is "sterile" in it's own way. Flying low level over cities in BMS quickly sours the illusion. Of course, if they can pull off auto-gen building next, that'll be quite a game changer (auto-gen trees already make mountain flying a much different experience!).

Then again, Flying over cities in BMS is still better than DCS, since as of this writing I can at least DO IT in BMS. smile

And yeah, I know as a good little simmer I'm not supposed to think visuals make a difference, but, they do. Sorry. They can't wholly compensate for lacking in other areas, but great visuals can provide awesome immersion, especially for low level flying.

True. However, you can't bomb Nellis or the surrounding area. The best you can do is make "pretend fights" over the desert.

I will say that yes, I do miss the DCS visuals. However, in the "Falcon mindset," I don't want to be flying low because my jet is really, REALLY thirsty. Even if I got wing tanks and I know I got fuel, I don't want to burn fuel unnecessarily because at the back of my head is Plan Y which is to drop A-G stuff and step into the phone booth with Mr. MiG for a friendly little knife fight. If I **DO** have to go down low, well, I'm usually very, very, VERY busy with other things to notice any buildings.... if they were there, I wouldn't be ogling them but just working to avoid them. They might as well be blocks on the terrain. Long story short, the only time I have time to ogle the low-level graphics is during final approach for landing. If I'm doing it at any other time, I'm doing something wrong. biggrin

Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
To be clear, I still see BMS as the dominant platform. ED's just way to misguided in their approach, and needs to mature a bit with regards to direction and prioritization.

Very good way of putting it!

Originally Posted By: amnwrx
ED appeares to be going for a broader approach. My interpretation is they are building a base for bigger and better things. If they pan out remains to be seen.

I hope I'm around to see it with the rate they're going! biggrin

Originally Posted By: Davemetalhead
ED didn't just concentrate on the visuals with the latest update, it's a new game engine complete with upgrade to DX-11. Many have already commented on improved performance, so to say that ED only focused on the visuals is disengenous.

New game engine = visuals (the F-15 didn't really fly differently due to the "new game engine," did it? Su-27 is still on SFM, yes?)
Upgrade to DX-11 = visuals (Does DX-11 affect any of the bomb fall performance? Does it improve online stability?)
Improved performance = visuals (read: less stuttering. Still there, but less.)

disingenuous = adjective, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

- Ice
#4195763 - 11/18/15 03:04 AM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: toonces]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: toonces
I'm actually a Falcon 4 fanboy, but I'll take the devil's advocate approach to this one.

Where DCS really shows potential is its modular capability from the ground up, something BMS simply cannot do. That's not to say that I haven't spent plenty of time enjoying the hell out of myself in other jets in Falcon. But let's be honest here, the other flyables are poor substitutes for a second study-level aircraft in BMS.

Furthermore, DCS is at least trying to bring a ground component into their game with Combined Arms. Sure it's fairly arcade right now, but it's leaps beyond any other ground modeling in a flight combat sim of which I'm aware.

The lack of a dynamic campaign holds DCS back from the gameplay perspective. But then again, ARMA 3 doesn't come with a dynamic campaign (not including the mods) and yet it is still highly regarded as an excellent sim. I could make a similar argument for Steel Beasts.

I prefer BMS because at the end of the day I want to play a game on my computer. The game aspect is where DCS simply doesn't do a good job. I'd argue that DCS has far more potential as a simulator than BMS, but the fact of the matter is that most people have no idea how to fully utilize the potential of a simulation like DCS.

Point taken and I agree! 14 years later, I might re-read this thread and laugh at how wrong I am!

One thing I do not like in DCS is their lack of focus. You have a great American air-superiority fighter in the F-15 and it has all the bells and whistles. Where is DCS MiG-29? Where is DCS Su-27? Nope, these aircraft are done at Flaming-Cliffs-level, not DCS level. You have the WWII aircraft, but where is the WWII theatre? Where are the WWII anti-air assets? At this current time, DCS is kinda like FSX+TacPack but in FSX, you can fly anywhere in the world....

If I could get 100 like-minded, skilled people together, I could use DCS to conduct no-kiddng real-world military training in combined arms warfare. I'm still amazed that such a product exists that we hobbyists can buy.

We could run something similar in BMS, and with some suspension of disbelief could also do excellent training, but not combined arms like you can in DCS.

Yeah, but to build such a mission.... let's just say I spent the last few months of my DCS time trying to script some aircraft to take off and land when the player aircraft is starting up or near the airbase on his RTB. In BMS, these things simply "exist."

I think ED would sell a lot more kit if they'd take a step back and redirect their focus on the game aspect and less on the study aspect. Like crafting a dynamic campaign and pumping out some FC3-level aircraft that don't require such an investment in time to enjoy.

They have to decide what they want to do and do it. Focus on it. Do they want to cater to the hard-core study-sim, "I love flicking switches" crowd? Then do it. Do they want their market to be the switch-lite, "ALT+HOME to start up engines" crowd? Then do it. Are they going for US aircraft with enemy aircraft being AI? Or do they want to focus on Russian aircraft? Are they going for modern? WWII? Vietnam-era?

Again, they lack focus. If they could clamp down on what they want to do --- say a modern theatre featuring a multi-role aircraft (Strike Eagle? Hornet?) in the a specific theater (please, no more Baltic!), it'll be easy to get behind them. As it is, they're trying to be everything and end up pleasing nobody.

As theOden said, we acknowledge that DCS has potential.
BMS, however, is actually DOING it.
New theatres? Yep.
New aircraft? Uh-huh.
Carrier ops? But of course!

Here's a bib for your drool.

- Ice
#4195767 - 11/18/15 03:14 AM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Let me explain:
the most complex airframe I have in DCS is the A10 and having the Thrustmaster Warthog it requires me 0 time to set up controls.

All the others (Uh1, the Mustang, the Fw 190 and even the F86) take 10 minutes each to set as they have a barebone structure. Fex axis, few keys.

Your preference for DCS here is the simplicity of the other aircraft. Barebones, as you put it.
In BMS, well, even if the other aircraft are simpler in implementation compared to the F-16, they're still way more complex than a Mustang or FW.

Simply put = too many detailed aircraft, too little time. smile

As for a pre-made profile for the Warthog... for the F-16, I can assure you this exists! Have you seen my Helios profile for BMS? That comes with a TARGET profile for the F-16 and if you know the DMS/TMS/CMS stuff from the A-10C, well, you've got a big chunk of the finger acrobatics out of the way!

Originally Posted By: Smokin_Hole
Well rest easy. Every plane is really just a faceplate over the F-16. Any switches that are selectable in a non-Viper flyable are simply a callback to an identical function in the F-16. If you go to the DOCS folder and find the FA-18 pdf you will find that each switch has its F-16 keymap callback listed. And it is here where we need to keep it honest. DCS models their planes and helos with nearly a clean slate. BMS allows only a few tweaks away from the underlying F-16 in order to create a plausible flyable.

I would not call a dual-engine Hornet or Eagle "just a faceplate over the F-16." I would also doubt whether the landing approach you need on the Hornet and the resulting forces is "just a faceplate over the F-16" --- but I'll admit to not having tested this as I'm still too busy getting my controls properly set up for 4.33. Suffice to say that any hard landing on the Viper = pretty explosions.

However, see my first post in this thread. That's a BMS vs DCS comparison without even touching the new aircraft.

- Ice
#4195773 - 11/18/15 03:46 AM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
robmypro Offline
robmypro  Offline

Originally Posted By: Smokin_Hole

But that is the thing. A study sim level A-10 could be built, for example, and not use any callbacks to F-16 functions. So if BMS or someone else wants to do it, it is possible. And that is a lot easier for BMS to do, vs what ED needs to catch up to BMS. But in the end, this is truly the golden era of flight sims. From WW1, WW2, modern era combat, and commercial aviation, we have more options than time.

#4195810 - 11/18/15 08:58 AM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I see no reason not to enjoy them all.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4195827 - 11/18/15 11:07 AM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: - Ice]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted By: - Ice

One thing I do not like in DCS is their lack of focus. You have a great American air-superiority fighter in the F-15 and it has all the bells and whistles. Where is DCS MiG-29? Where is DCS Su-27? Nope, these aircraft are done at Flaming-Cliffs-level, not DCS level. You have the WWII aircraft, but where is the WWII theatre? Where are the WWII anti-air assets? At this current time, DCS is kinda like FSX+TacPack but in FSX, you can fly anywhere in the world....

+1

You have MiG-21 and where is the F-4 Phantom? Or Thud, ...

#4195873 - 11/18/15 02:45 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: - Ice]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: - Ice
Let me explain:

Your preference for DCS here is the simplicity of the other aircraft. Barebones, as you put it.
In BMS, well, even if the other aircraft are simpler in implementation compared to the F-16, they're still way more complex than a Mustang or FW.

Simply put = too many detailed aircraft, too little time. smile

As for a pre-made profile for the Warthog... for the F-16, I can assure you this exists! Have you seen my Helios profile for BMS? That comes with a TARGET profile for the F-16 and if you know the DMS/TMS/CMS stuff from the A-10C, well, you've got a big chunk of the finger acrobatics out of the way!

Heh, good old -Ice. I knew I could count on you. Yep, anyway- spot on.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4195877 - 11/18/15 03:07 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
Boomer Offline
(v) Viper Driver
Boomer  Offline
(v) Viper Driver

Sorry Im late... ;-)

Long time Falconeer from 1988.

Long time DCSW flier since 2008, including the BS and A10C.

The FBMS DC is awesome and remains a key advantage to the sim. Falcon always tried to create an environment where ARE a fighter pilot in a war. 4.33 carries this even further IMHO. Missions are varied given that the Viper is really a fighter-bomber. Too bad the terrain is still crappy, but thats a limitation of the old code.

DCSW looks alot a better, provides a better flying environment, but I find it to relatively sterile. Plus the online servers are flooded with Air Quakers. FBMS, by its very nature, vets these folks out. Nevada should be very interesting and really look forward to to a true hardcore multirole jet, like the Bug.

"Learning to fly the Falcon is just your ticket to the dance" - Pete 'Boomer' Bonanni.
#4195886 - 11/18/15 04:21 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: Boomer]  
robmypro Offline
robmypro  Offline

Originally Posted By: Helo_Head
Sorry Im late... ;-)

Long time Falconeer from 1988.

Long time DCSW flier since 2008, including the BS and A10C.

The FBMS DC is awesome and remains a key advantage to the sim. Falcon always tried to create an environment where ARE a fighter pilot in a war. 4.33 carries this even further IMHO. Missions are varied given that the Viper is really a fighter-bomber. Too bad the terrain is still crappy, but thats a limitation of the old code.

DCSW looks alot a better, provides a better flying environment, but I find it to relatively sterile. Plus the online servers are flooded with Air Quakers. FBMS, by its very nature, vets these folks out. Nevada should be very interesting and really look forward to to a true hardcore multirole jet, like the Bug.

Agree with everything you said, except the terrain. I think 4.33 looks really good once you are in the air a bit. It could definitely be better, but then the FPS would be worse. I like the balance we have.

#4195899 - 11/18/15 04:55 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
Longbow fanatic Offline
Longbow fanatic  Offline

Santa Fe, NM USA
I miss my mirrors in my BMS F18C :-( I know it's a limitation in the falcon coding, bummer

Why do people think flight sims are nerdy???
#4195923 - 11/18/15 05:31 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: Longbow fanatic]  
Boomer Offline
(v) Viper Driver
Boomer  Offline
(v) Viper Driver

Originally Posted By: Longbow fanatic
I miss my mirrors in my BMS F18C :-( I know it's a limitation in the falcon coding, bummer

Agreed. I enjoy them in my DCS A10C for immersion, tactically near useless though.

"Learning to fly the Falcon is just your ticket to the dance" - Pete 'Boomer' Bonanni.
#4195924 - 11/18/15 05:33 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
I have a question, and hopefully it has not been asked yet (this seems like the place for it).

How does the latest BMS version of F4 compare to DCS in terms of frame rate / system requirements?

I have DCS, and it runs ok at low detail, with a few slowdowns with smoke and such.
I have always been vaguely interested in F4, and I've decided that now is the time to sit down and learn a high-fidelity flight sim, so I'm tossing up between going back into DCS and doing it properly, and going for F4 BMS. Frame rate / will my computer cry is the biggest consideration.

#4195926 - 11/18/15 05:34 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
Boomer Offline
(v) Viper Driver
Boomer  Offline
(v) Viper Driver

I have both.

I would say that BMS 4.33 and DCSW 1.5 are roughly equal in system demands now.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.