Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4195404 - 11/17/15 05:25 AM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
robmypro Offline
robmypro  Offline

Well said Ice! You did the topic a lot more justice than I did.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4195405 - 11/17/15 05:26 AM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: tirta]  
robmypro Offline
robmypro  Offline

Originally Posted By: tirta
I do not understand why after all these years,
dcs developer does not feel the need to make dynamic campaign,
instead we get those static boring campaign.

Dynamic campaign is the reason why I still play bms, eech and ef2000,
and why I do not play dcs anymore.

It is a massive undertaking. And I do mean massive.

#4195406 - 11/17/15 05:33 AM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Ice, that was one of the best BMS/DCS comparisons I've read in a very long time.
Spot on.

#4195412 - 11/17/15 05:59 AM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: theOden]  
robmypro Offline
robmypro  Offline

Originally Posted By: theOden
Ice, that was one of the best BMS/DCS comparisons I've read in a very long time.
Spot on.

No kidding. Might be the best I have read.

#4195437 - 11/17/15 09:03 AM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
VT-51_Razor Offline
VT-51_Razor  Offline

Central Point, Oregon, US of A...
Thank you Ice, and all the rest for the quick answers. Maybe I'll give this a look. copter

People in aviation who think they know it all, are particularly annoying to those of us who really do

Razor
Air Group 51
#4195559 - 11/17/15 03:45 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: robmypro

It is a massive undertaking. And I do mean massive.

One that ThirdWire, the Falcon team, and the devs behind the forthcoming Combat Air Patrol 2 have all managed to work into their sims.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#4195565 - 11/17/15 03:58 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Reading Ices post, it dawned on me how truly misguided ED is with DCS.

The latest update from ED (DCSW 1.5) took the one thing DCS has over Falcon, visual fidelity, and further re-enforced that.

And that's really an issue. The team took the one thing that they (by comparison) already had locked down, and choose to keep focusing on that. Kind of like repainting your house for the second time in a year, despite half the roof missing. Yes, that new coat of paint is lovely, but it's clearly not the most pressing issue.

Having said that, I do think the arrival of new theaters and aircraft, will even things out a bit. If you compare the city visuals in BMS with those in Nellis previews, to me BMS suddenly is "sterile" in it's own way. Flying low level over cities in BMS quickly sours the illusion. Of course, if they can pull off auto-gen building next, that'll be quite a game changer (auto-gen trees already make mountain flying a much different experience!).

Then again, Flying over cities in BMS is still better than DCS, since as of this writing I can at least DO IT in BMS. smile

And yeah, I know as a good little simmer I'm not supposed to think visuals make a difference, but, they do. Sorry. They can't wholly compensate for lacking in other areas, but great visuals can provide awesome immersion, especially for low level flying.

To be clear, I still see BMS as the dominant platform. ED's just way to misguided in their approach, and needs to mature a bit with regards to direction and prioritization.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#4195576 - 11/17/15 04:49 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: tirta]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal

There is currently a thread about the subject going on the DCS SimHQ room.
In that thread there's even a member of ED participating on it (despite he claims not to be an ED member on his "profile signature") and after all the feedback from that thread which curiously started because of a pool made by ED (on their own forum) where they asked which new feature would players like to have the most in the future in DCS and in where "Dynamic Campaign" clearly won with a quite big advantage over all other features, I can only see one unique reason for ED not wanting to make a dynamic campaign for DCS:

- Pure and sheer stubbornness!

#4195578 - 11/17/15 04:53 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
I also fully agree with Ice's BMS vs DCS comparison!

#4195581 - 11/17/15 05:05 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE

One that ThirdWire, the Falcon team, and the devs behind the forthcoming Combat Air Patrol 2 have all managed to work into their sims.

I fully agree as well.

Also to complement there are other examples of third party people/players that added/created very good dynamic campaign system to games that either didn't have them or had somehow limited dynamic campaign systems.
Examples of this are Lowengrin's DGC for IL2 and OFF/WOFF which is a WWI mod for CFS3 centered around a completely new dynamic campaign system. These campaign examples were made by a single person (or 2 or 3 tops) on his/their spare time and for free.
Therefore saying that a quite big company such as ED can't do a dynamic campaign system for DCS because is a "massive undertaking" isn't likely the truth.

#4195582 - 11/17/15 05:12 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  

Lol ed for 10 years can not release final complete version of any module.Everything is infinite beta.
And you talk about the dynamic campaign? hahaha
Sure ,will be released for ~ 10 years, the beta of course.

#4195591 - 11/17/15 05:28 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK
So to summarise

DCS does some things better than BMS
BMS does some things better than DCS

Other sims do some things better than the above

right debate over....

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'
#4195595 - 11/17/15 05:42 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: MigBuster]  
amnwrx Offline
amnwrx  Offline

Originally Posted By: MigBuster
So to summarise

DCS does some things better than BMS
BMS does some things better than DCS

Other sims do some things better than the above

right debate over....

This! Play them all! If you don't have a lot of extra time to play "games", after trying both pick the one that suits you the most. I personally go through phases.

The guys at BMS continue to make an unmatched f-16 sim building on an awesome existing campaign engine using dated software that usually runs like a top.

ED appeares to be going for a broader approach. My interpretation is they are building a base for bigger and better things. If they pan out remains to be seen.

Last edited by amnwrx; 11/17/15 05:51 PM.
#4195606 - 11/17/15 05:57 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Davemetalhead Offline
Davemetalhead  Offline

Abingdon, Oxon.

The latest update from ED (DCSW 1.5) took the one thing DCS has over Falcon, visual fidelity, and further re-enforced that.

And that's really an issue. The team took the one thing that they (by comparison) already had locked down, and choose to keep focusing on that. Kind of like repainting your house for the second time in a year, despite half the roof missing. Yes, that new coat of paint is lovely, but it's clearly not the most pressing issue.

Having said that, I do think the arrival of new theaters and aircraft, will even things out a bit. If you compare the city visuals in BMS with those in Nellis previews, to me BMS suddenly is "sterile" in it's own way. Flying low level over cities in BMS quickly sours the illusion. Of course, if they can pull off auto-gen building next, that'll be quite a game changer (auto-gen trees already make mountain flying a much different experience!).

Then again, Flying over cities in BMS is still better than DCS, since as of this writing I can at least DO IT in BMS. smile

And yeah, I know as a good little simmer I'm not supposed to think visuals make a difference, but, they do. Sorry. They can't wholly compensate for lacking in other areas, but great visuals can provide awesome immersion, especially for low level flying.

To be clear, I still see BMS as the dominant platform. ED's just way to misguided in their approach, and needs to mature a bit with regards to direction and prioritization.

ED didn't just concentrate on the visuals with the latest update, it's a new game engine complete with upgrade to DX-11. Many have already commented on improved performance, so to say that ED only focused on the visuals is disengenous.

Part time poster
Full time lurker
#4195616 - 11/17/15 06:26 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: Davemetalhead]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Davemetalhead

ED didn't just concentrate on the visuals with the latest update, it's a new game engine complete with upgrade to DX-11. Many have already commented on improved performance, so to say that ED only focused on the visuals is disengenous.

Concur, and from the looks of it- they ARE taking an interest in the DC. All in all it's just a matter of *Groan* waiting.

Pun. wink

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4195633 - 11/17/15 07:07 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm actually a Falcon 4 fanboy, but I'll take the devil's advocate approach to this one.

Where DCS really shows potential is its modular capability from the ground up, something BMS simply cannot do. That's not to say that I haven't spent plenty of time enjoying the hell out of myself in other jets in Falcon. But let's be honest here, the other flyables are poor substitutes for a second study-level aircraft in BMS.

Furthermore, DCS is at least trying to bring a ground component into their game with Combined Arms. Sure it's fairly arcade right now, but it's leaps beyond any other ground modeling in a flight combat sim of which I'm aware.

The lack of a dynamic campaign holds DCS back from the gameplay perspective. But then again, ARMA 3 doesn't come with a dynamic campaign (not including the mods) and yet it is still highly regarded as an excellent sim. I could make a similar argument for Steel Beasts.

I prefer BMS because at the end of the day I want to play a game on my computer. The game aspect is where DCS simply doesn't do a good job. I'd argue that DCS has far more potential as a simulator than BMS, but the fact of the matter is that most people have no idea how to fully utilize the potential of a simulation like DCS.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#4195637 - 11/17/15 07:10 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
If I could get 100 like-minded, skilled people together, I could use DCS to conduct no-kiddng real-world military training in combined arms warfare. I'm still amazed that such a product exists that we hobbyists can buy.

We could run something similar in BMS, and with some suspension of disbelief could also do excellent training, but not combined arms like you can in DCS.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#4195640 - 11/17/15 07:14 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

true toonces, DCS has way more potential - but, never utilized potential is pretty useless in the long run.
So to me Ice's text still applies based on when we have at hand.
(and yes, I know you're a Falcon fanboy haha)

#4195643 - 11/17/15 07:23 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
Well I agree.

I love ARMA 3 and have a couple hundred hours in it on Steam. Unfortunately almost all of that time is in playing online on the King of the Hill server, a decidedly unrealistic portrayal of modern warfare.

I do love detailed simulations. But at the end of the day I want to be entertained. Finding that compromise can be challenging for developers I guess.

I think ED would sell a lot more kit if they'd take a step back and redirect their focus on the game aspect and less on the study aspect. Like crafting a dynamic campaign and pumping out some FC3-level aircraft that don't require such an investment in time to enjoy.

#4195653 - 11/17/15 07:44 PM Re: Falcon BMS vs DCS [Re: robmypro]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

I enjoy them both and waffle back and forth between the two. BMS is generally more entertaining, much more so in MP. DCS is a wee bit prettier and flight is a little closer to reality. 4.33 has really closed the gap. And even silly things like the AV-8B are surprisingly fun. There is probably so much more under the hood in DCS but to an unsophisticate like me, all this attention to detail is lost. I don't care if elastic tension forces are modeled on the swashplate. I just want to be fed the illusion that I am in the air above a full and changing battlefield spraying lead and instilling fear in friend and foe alike. What BMS also teaches is how unimportant highly detailed terrain modeling really is. These new high res tiles are stunning enough even down low. Skim the trees with a Mirage and you will find it every bit as satisfying as doing the same over 1.5 Georgia. But what I look forward to the most with BMS, is returning to the campaign night after night to see the progress. I used to log onto the Falcon Online server just to see how "we" are doing and maybe play AWACS for 15 minutes. Such joy will NEVER be possible with DCS.

Last edited by Smokin_Hole; 11/17/15 07:45 PM.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.