Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 41 of 227 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 226 227
#4189372 - 11/01/15 07:02 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Mfair, just pay your dues until you get a scout. That's what I'm really enjoying about the DID Centenary, we have to make do with what they flew instead of having the best plane available.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4189381 - 11/01/15 07:41 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: MFair]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Originally Posted By: MFair
Thought I might. I have survived my last two missions by going to the Ob. Seat and defending myself but have not got the hang of the guns yet. As I am still the lowest rank it would be a while before I am Ina scout.

I've flown some early Fokker campaigns and I feel safer in the Aviatik CI. mainly because the Fokkers are so fragile all maneuverability can be gone in a couple bullet hits. I let the AI handle the guns and try to spin/turn with hard rudder to give him a shooting lane.

#4189385 - 11/01/15 08:04 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Banjoman]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted By: Banjoman
Mfair, just pay your dues until you get a scout. That's what I'm really enjoying about the DID Centenary, we have to make do with what they flew instead of having the best plane available.

I will be paying my dues for a couple of months at least before a scout is available. As MudWasp says, might not be the "better" plane. As I have not flown 2 seaters much, I am still learning their best defensive tactics. I have had 3 encounters with the Nieuport 10 in the last 5 missions and lived so must be doing something right.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4189398 - 11/01/15 08:41 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Early Fokker Campaigns became harder with the N10CI and before that the wind and an improvement in rear gunner AI. At least that is how it went for me.

I might go Jasta 15 later in the fall and fly a EI....IDK....longest I've lasted with them in an EI is 12 missions in a non-DiD campaign. They don't upgrade to an EIII until spring, think they skip the EII altogether.

#4189421 - 11/01/15 09:56 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Thanks for the tip MudWasp. Just flew 4 QC against 2 Niep. 10's using your tactics. Only got whacked once when one of the flew into me. Seems if you can fly defence and offence when the opportunity presents works well. Efen shot one down. Thanks again Bud!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4189436 - 11/01/15 10:11 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Glad to help cheers

They have unusual shooting lanes, helluva lot of ammo between the two guns

#4189460 - 11/01/15 11:24 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
I was thinking today that with my German pilot I'm just going to stay in Jasta 1 for as long as he lives. I've been wondering if they could transfer as often and as easily as WOFF allows. Anyway, that's what I'm doing, you guys can do whatever you want, that's the beauty of WOFF.

#4189465 - 11/01/15 11:32 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Journal Entry: July 4, 1915
Bertincourt

Today I thought I had met my end. It happened as we were coming back of an artillery shoot and as we were circling to land, I heard a loud bang and my engine was on fire. Thank God I was circling our field or I would have died today. Anyway, I've learned that when something like this happens, training kicks in. I went through the ritual of shutting off the engine and fuel and landing as fast as possible without even thinking about it. Fortunately, I was able to get us down without either one of us being seriously injured, just a little singing but it could have been worse. The worst part was about 30 minutes later when the magnitude of what just happened finally hit me, I could hardly stand because my legs suddenly gave out. Hauptman Schoenebeck has ordered no flying for either of us tomorrow, I didn't argue with him.

#4189472 - 11/01/15 11:50 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Was it running too lean?
or just a random Failure?

Glad ya Lived thumbsup

#4189483 - 11/02/15 12:14 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Banjoman]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

I was thinking today that with my German pilot I'm just going to stay in Jasta 1 for as long as he lives. I've been wondering if they could transfer as often and as easily as WOFF allows. Anyway, that's what I'm doing, you guys can do whatever you want, that's the beauty of WOFF.

If I stay were I am at I will be flying a EIII wether I want to or not in a few months. I will have to transfer to stay in a two seater. That is if I live that long.

#4189487 - 11/02/15 12:27 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
If you go Fokker E series I'm full of advice from Da Skool O' Hardk Nocks
It's a TUFF path to take. A non-DiD pilot from WOFF 1.xx days.
Things are much harder now

Last edited by MudWasp; 11/02/15 12:30 AM. Reason: much harder now 1.xx days
#4189523 - 11/02/15 03:13 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: MudWasp]  
AceofPengwins Offline
The Flying Penguin
AceofPengwins  Offline
The Flying Penguin

Originally Posted By: MudWasp
If you go Fokker E series I'm full of advice from Da Skool O' Hardk Nocks

Do tell - I'll be joining this challenge shortly in Jasta I and I know they start getting the Fokker Es soon... I've flown a few QC and they're very tricky beasties! Like yaw and pitch have a lot of control authority, but those warping wings are slooooow to make the thing roll.

Heir to the honors associated with the Order Sphenisciformes
#4189617 - 11/02/15 01:20 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
It is such a poor plane that I like to secure as many advantages as possible...altitude, numbers, home turf (know where to run and find archie's help).

It is real easy to fly it with a crabbing motion and not know it, that bleeds speed and there is precious little speed to spare with the Fokker Es, so stay off the rudder as much as possible. I use a twisty stick and have to often check to make sure I'm not twisting rudder input without intending to. Recently I disabled the twist and use a gizmo on my pro throttle for rudder. Next week I'll probably go back to the old set up.

Not a whole lot of maneuvers go well with the Eindecker imho.
I mostly change direction 180 with a half barrel roll and a pull back on the stick. lose altitude but keep speed with this

Not sure of the name... a steep climb and hard rudder as running out of energy at the top, then descend full power is a good maneuver. The AI do this often. Some people call this an Immelmann, some don't. Altitude can be gained doing this, or at least not given up.

It can be turned like a falling winged seed pod with practice. Good trick when Nupes are all over you as it confuses the AI.

It is a difficult airplane to fly, have fun in QC. Watch out for Morane rear gunners! and Nupes!

#4189661 - 11/02/15 03:01 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: MudWasp]  
AceofPengwins Offline
The Flying Penguin
AceofPengwins  Offline
The Flying Penguin

Thanks MudWasp. I did a QC duel against a DH2 (on beginner) and over the course of a rather long duel had him fairly injured but as i was trying to finish him off I collided with him frown

I too use twist rudder and i would often only realize that i was applying full rudder when my plane would begin to stall. After a while I did start to get the hang of it - at least i could kind of control it - but it is definitely a long ways from the easy flying of the Pup or even the Camel! Feels like i'm fighting the controls a lot.

#4189680 - 11/02/15 03:31 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Try some QC against the E series too and watch how the AI fly. That can help, watching how the AI Aces do it.
Have you tried a DRI yet? That plane can be a handful too.

#4189685 - 11/02/15 03:37 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
AceofPengwins, please read the beginning instructions carefully before you begin a career. We have some interesting things that you need to accomplish before you can get started. We added those to make it more of a realistic start and to increase the roleplaying aspect of this DID. One other thing, remember the first letter of your pilot's first name needs to start with an 'A' and as you go through pilots you just move through the alphabet one letter at a time. Welcome to the club and I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. Remember, you are trying to survive the whole war so no need to be a hero.

Last edited by Banjoman; 11/02/15 03:37 PM.

#4189794 - 11/02/15 06:43 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Banjoman]  
AceofPengwins Offline
The Flying Penguin
AceofPengwins  Offline
The Flying Penguin

AceofPengwins, please read the beginning instructions carefully before you begin a career. We have some interesting things that you need to accomplish before you can get started. We added those to make it more of a realistic start and to increase the roleplaying aspect of this DID. One other thing, remember the first letter of your pilot's first name needs to start with an 'A' and as you go through pilots you just move through the alphabet one letter at a time. Welcome to the club and I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. Remember, you are trying to survive the whole war so no need to be a hero.

Cool. So according to my understanding I need to create a pilot with first name of A on today's date 1915 (for the warbirds), and then QC fly him from Koln to my assigned airfield (Bertincourt in this case as I was planning on joining Jasta I which is currently flying two-seaters.) Then the next two missions i follow the specific training instructions in the post on the first page.

Does that sound right?

#4189796 - 11/02/15 06:46 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: MudWasp]  
AceofPengwins Offline
The Flying Penguin
AceofPengwins  Offline
The Flying Penguin

Originally Posted By: MudWasp
Try some QC against the E series too and watch how the AI fly. That can help, watching how the AI Aces do it.
Have you tried a DRI yet? That plane can be a handful too.

Good idea, and I have not tried the DRI yet but I do intend to, I've always thought it was an interesting aircraft.

#4189818 - 11/02/15 07:11 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: AceofPengwins]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Originally Posted By: AceofPengwins

Cool. So according to my understanding I need to create a pilot with first name of A on today's date 1915 (for the warbirds), and then QC fly him from Koln to my assigned airfield (Bertincourt in this case as I was planning on joining Jasta I which is currently flying two-seaters.) Then the next two missions i follow the specific training instructions in the post on the first page.

Does that sound right?

Sounds right to me

#4189824 - 11/02/15 07:19 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

To: Commandant Esc 15

From Red Cross
Graves registration
Flanders, France

Nov 2, 1915.

Sir, we regret to inform you of the witnessed crash of two of your pilots. The aircraft were seen to be turning at about 3000ft on our-side of No Mans Land when they hit each other. Both of the machines Burned on the way down at least the parts left of them. 2 Bodies were recovered, we can only I.D. one of them because of a pass book on the Airman. Rank: Sgt
Unit Esc 15 Name Jean Bessisers .

image share

also a picture of a mademoiselle Enclosed.

imgur

Page 41 of 227 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse