Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4182458 - 10/16/15 06:51 PM Steelbeasts mission VOWOPANZ 09oct15  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

The mission written and Graphic OPROD

Strf90 Flank Attack

1. ORIENTATION:
a) ENEMY: Russian forces assault south has been stopped, they have gone on the defensive - most likely to regroup for a new assault south. Forces in our Company AO are estimated to consist of 2 BMP-3 platoons covering SOUTH with 1 ATGM platoon in FLYING MOSSE covering the open area around SVARTE HÅL. They have been in place for 24H and been supported by a reported engineer platoon so expect smaller minefields and field fortifications. The russians have ample support of UAV and Indirect fire so act accordingly.

b) FRIENDLY:
Our Battalion (Victor Lima, VL) will attack NORTH to take REVINGEBY to capture the only intact bridge over KÄVLINGEÅN. Our Company (Romeo Lima, RL) supported by a platoon of strv122 (Alpha Sierra, AS) are tasked with covering VL's attack by clearing EKEBERGA - SKATTEBERGA through RP 33-25-37 and RP 18 - FLYINGE MOSSE - RP 45. The homeguard from 46th Homeguard Battalion (Callsign Quebec Tango, QT from Yankee Tango, YT) are holding SÖDRA SANDBY and are also supplying us with a picket line at line B112. They are armed with M240 and Carl gustavs so do not expect to much from them (YT are AI scripted so they are not under your control).

2. SUPPORT:
For our attack we have support from one of VLs 120mm mortar platoon - Alpha Papa Lima (A/PL), of 3 tubes with 49 HE and 20 Multi-spectral SMK rounds per tube and 1 from 91st Artillery Battalion, callsign Alpha Zulu with 4 Archers (155mm) over time.
AZ will support with 22 HE, 6 SMOKE and 8 DPICM rounds per tube (4 tubes).
You have 5 Priority target reference points named A100-A104 to put where you like (they are located left side outside map edge).

3. ORDER:
ROMEO LIMA are to take EKEBERGA-SKATTEBERGA NLT 09.00 (1hours gametime) over RP 33-25-37 and RP 18-FLYINGE MOSSE-RP45 to secure VL's left flank.
Djump off point for the attack is Line B112 that are guarded by 46th Homeguard Battalion (QT/YT). Once attack is completed defend EKEBERGA region with fire in NORTH and NORTHWEST direction from possible counterattack against VICTOR LIMA from the enemy mech Coy located in FLYINGE vicinity untill further order arrives. (Defend for max 40min, then end mission).
End state is with Romeo Lima in the terrain around line B113 defending NORTH - NORTWEST with at least 75% strenght and denying the area of EKEBERGA for the enemy to counter attack Victor Lima's flank.

And do not forget the Swedish 7th Armoured Regiments motto "STRIKE FAST - STRIKE HARD"!

4. COMPANY STRUCTURE:

RL1 = CO
RL2 = XO
FL/RL = FOO

AR/RL = 1st Mech plt (The Dismounts have NLAW as AT-Weapon)
BR/RL = 2nd Mech plt
CR/RL = 3rd Mech plt
DR/RL= Combat logistics platoon. CV90-ARV-MED-MED

AS/SL = 1st Tank Plt
A/PL = 1st Mortar platoon from HQ Coy
A/ZF = 1st Bty from 91st Artillery Battalion

5. SCENARIO DETAILS
Map update = Friendly only
Terrain theme = Autumn
Blue = SE
Red = RU

Kingtiger
2015-10-06

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4182459 - 10/16/15 06:53 PM Re: Steelbeasts mission VOWOPANZ 09oct15 [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

The task for me as RL's commanding office was clear: reach Line 113 NLT then 0900 with at least 75% of my unit and the hold of an enemy counterattack.

So what did I know:
-an enemy company(-) equiped with BMP-3 and engineer support are in front of me
-possible task for them is to delay/defend against my attack and hold the area a Skatteberga
-Left flank and up to Line 112 is guarded by Homeguard units.
-about 1500 north of own units is a pissible enemy picket line. (I expect platoon strenght)

Ok, This is what I wanted my platoon leaders to do:

In Phase one we where to make a quick attack north with AS(tank platoon) an A on the left side as main effort while B and C platonn bind the enemy from the front.

AS(Stridsvagn122 platoon) was to:
-move into turret down BP just south of 112
-engage and destroy ENY in the area of KULLAGARDEN when ordered
-follow A platoon in a quick attack into the enemy left flank between reference points(RP) 25 and 33 IOT destoy retreating enemy units
-support /overwatch A's attack over RP 25

A(CV9040 plt)
-move 500 behind AS
-on order attack over AS's position and make a "left hook" into the open ground between RP 25 and 33 IOT
cut off and destoy retreating enemy units
-continue to attack over RP 25 and take the wooded ground west of EKEBERGA

B(CV9040)
-move into turret down BP close to ABUSA south of 112
-on order attack together with C frontaly between RP 33 and 18
-push on together with A and C IOT take the area of SKATTEBERGA/EKEBERGA

C (Cv9040)
--move into turret down BP close to ABUSA south of 112
-on order attack together with B frontaly between RP 33 and 18
-push on together with A and B IOT take the area of SKATTEBERGA/EKEBERGA

FO:
-overwatch own movement from line 112
-follow combat troops and provide direct fire support
-provide preperation fires for the attack on SKATTEBERGA/EKEBERGA

In Phase 2 we had to defend against a possible counterattack into VL-BN's left flank.
Map graphic indicated enemy at Company(+) strenght...but I was not sure.

I set the AOR up into 3 engagement areas.(EA 1 to 3)

The platoons had the following mission:
AS:
-overwatch left flank
-engage and destroy all enemy in EA1

A:
-defend positions west of EKEBERGA
-destroy enemy inside EA2 together with B

B:
-defend positions north of SKATTEBERGA
-destroy enemy inside EA2 together with A
-be prepared to engage into EA3 in case enemy manages to bypass/push through EA2

C:
acting as my local reserve with the missions.
Be prepared to:
-reenforce A or B
-block any possible breakthrough at A or B
-counterattack into EA2 or EA3

And oh, sorry, I forgot D platoon! (support unit with 1 ARV and 2 medic(m113))
---in both phases: flollow or stay 500 behind combat units...provide recovery or 1st aid as needed :-D

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 10/16/15 07:42 PM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4182460 - 10/16/15 06:53 PM Re: Steelbeasts mission VOWOPANZ 09oct15 [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Ok, at first 2 little videos to show how that battle evolved.
One with enemy shown as we spotted it in the game, the second has all enemy positions revealed:
No 1

No 2

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 10/16/15 07:44 PM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4182461 - 10/16/15 06:53 PM Re: Steelbeasts mission VOWOPANZ 09oct15 [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

The movement out of the assembly area went without incident.
Within 10 minutes we reached the planned line B112 where all the combat units went turret down.

The FO sneaked up to scan for threats in the area of KULLAGARDEN. 2 BMP where spotted and the info given to AS

FO is in the foreground in his CV90-FO, in the backround you can see 2 of AS's Stridsvagn 122 in hiding

The Stidsvagn (commanded by Eisenschwein) opened the battle whit a 120mm sabot round

Order to all MechInf platoons: MOVE MOVE MOVE

Behind AS, A moves up:

B and C also rush forward to engage:

As AS and A make their "left hook" move, B(Commanded by Duke) and C(CO, Hedgehog) break into SANDBY mosse and take out an enemy BMP plus infantry:

On out left, A(CO Kingtiger) has contact with enemy Inf at RP 25, the timed fuse option in the 40mm ammo is great ar15
The airburst takes the enemy squad out of the battle:

With little resitance left, we push towards line 113

On the way north C makes a very important kill: an enemy FO team is taken out...again the 40mm airburst proved to be quiete handy

After a few more minutes of mopping up, our left flank is secured as AS and A move into their planned defensive positions, on the Right B and C are getting ready to attack SKATTEBERGA while Arty and mortar pound the area there:

As the main effort shifts there, I move my own callsign away from A and link up with B&C

I have to complain to C though. On the way EAST I ran into an enemy Inf squad that C overlooked thumbsup
But my gunner was quick enough

At this moment it bites back a little, that we did not get all the IFV from the enemy security line.
They are mounting a little counterattack against A and later B.
But Kingtiger proved to be ready and his 40mm Sabot knock some dust of the enemy IFV

As B and C close in, Intel on the enemy gets better: IFV section spotted at SKATTEBERGA

They get engaged while the mortar keep suppressing possible AT teams.

Soon contact with infantry inside the 2 villages is established and they are put under fire.

While C stay to the front to pin down the enemy, B manouvres into their left flank.

Luck was on our side grunt, Bravo received enemy AT fire...luckily just light damages

But with the firepower of 2 mounted and dismounted CV90 platoons...SKATTEBERGA and EKEBERGA are soon firm in Swedish hands

As Info arrives that the destroyed IFV where in fact MTLB, its clear that we knocked ou the enemy engineers.
That leaves nearly one enemy IFV platoon unaccounted for(damn). But don't worry, C found them ready
And the CV90's won the 40mm/30mm duel

Time to settle in and prepare for an enemy counterattack.
AS, A and B are firmly in place. C is tasked to provide 1 recon team, and they move a section of CV90 to the small forest east of STORA SKATTEBERGA to act as out sentinel post.

Soon they spot 1 tank and 1 IFV and engage them.

But there are more comming our way

And soon C's section receives fire

At my position east of A, I hear a Sabot round fly close by, crashing into B's position

Duke has an other close shave, I mean really close!!!

About 2000 west of my position I see smoke rising where C's position was. #%&*$#..The battle was starting now grunt

More tank fire! This time our own. In EA 1, AS has spotted an enemy BMP platoon as they climb up a little hill. Bad mistake! Said platoon is dispatched quickly...good work tankies!

But I pull the tank back now. I don't know exactly where the enemy tanks are, and AS is in a very open position.

The dismouts C left in the Obersvation post prove very valuable they spot the enemy main effort.

Soon enough A and B come under enemy artilley fire as OPFOR tries to break into our positions.

But A and B mannage to engage the enemy BMP3 with their guns. But the CV0 take heavy losses from the enemy tanks.
But this effort enable the NLAW gunners to get in place and do the killing

With the enemy MechInf out of the fight, an the enemy tanks cornerd in our Kill-sack, it was just a matter of hunting them down

At the end, RL-company fullfilled their mission and destroyed the enemy counterattack.
Own losses where 5 IFV with all crew and about a dozend additional losses among the dissmounts.
Quiete a heavy toll sigh

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 10/16/15 08:59 PM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4182482 - 10/16/15 07:47 PM Re: Steelbeasts mission VOWOPANZ 09oct15 [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Lessons learned/mistake analysis:

1st: I did not push A and AS hard enough in the initial assault.
This allowed 2 IFV from the enemy security line to escape. So whe had to deal with the again at SKATTEBERGA

2nd: During the defence phase,after the enemy main effort was identified I shoud have tasked AS with a counterattack north into the enemy right flank to take out these T-90. I was hesitant, as I didn't know if there are more enemy to the West. But this hesitation was the main reason why A-platoon lost all of its CV90s

3rd: didn't use Arty effectively during the defence. I should ordered 2 preplanned FM into possible avenues of approach where I could SEE the enemy. I put them much to far away, so observed fire was not possible.

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 10/16/15 10:04 PM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4182852 - 10/17/15 04:44 PM Re: Steelbeasts mission VOWOPANZ 09oct15 [Re: Ronin_GE]  
PaladinSix Offline
PaladinSix  Offline

New York, USA
Very impressive AAR! The use of the real-world map in the briefing was a nice touch, too.

#4182864 - 10/17/15 05:43 PM Re: Steelbeasts mission VOWOPANZ 09oct15 [Re: PaladinSix]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Originally Posted By: PaladinSix
Very impressive AAR! The use of the real-world map in the briefing was a nice touch, too.

Thanks.
The real world map was provided by Kingtiger for the initial briefing for that mission.
It is cool to see how well the Real-world and steelbeasts maps match up!!

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4183299 - 10/19/15 08:21 AM Re: Steelbeasts mission VOWOPANZ 09oct15 [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Duke911 Offline
Schlappeseppel
Duke911  Offline
Schlappeseppel

Hessen/ Germany
Servus,

thanks for the AAR.
I was the B platoon leader and it was a good mission.

cheers

Duke

#4183519 - 10/19/15 06:03 PM Re: Steelbeasts mission VOWOPANZ 09oct15 [Re: Ronin_GE]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Phenomenal AAR! A joy to read and look at. Consider it a work of art. Great community!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.