Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4182125 - 10/16/15 01:06 AM OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out: Link to article

Microsoft has really pushed Windows 10 to the point where it’s getting annoying — first they automatically installed a service that ran all the time to show the Get Windows 10 icon, and then they started automatically downloading Windows 10 onto people’s computers even when they didn’t want it. Now because of an “accident” they automatically triggered the installer on some people’s computers.

From ArsTechnica:
Windows 10 upgrade installing automatically on some Windows 7, 8 systems
For the first year of its availability, Windows 10 is available for free to most Windows 7 and 8 users, and Microsoft has been trying to coax those users to make the switch by delivering the operating system through Windows Update. Until now, the OS has been delivered as an optional update; while Windows Update gives it prominent positioning, it shouldn’t be installed automatically.
This system has already generated some complaints, as Windows Update will download the sizeable operating system installer even if you don’t intend to upgrade any time soon, but, over the last couple of days, the situation seems to have become a little more aggressive. We’ve received a number of reports that people’s systems are not merely downloading the installer but actually starting it up.

And from ZDNet:
Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out
Reports are circulating that some users are being presented with dialog boxes that only give them the option to start the upgrade process or reschedule it for a later date. Others are finding that the Windows Update screen is only offering them the option to begin the upgrade process, with other system updates being hidden from view.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4182143 - 10/16/15 01:50 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Lewis Offline
Lewis  Offline

Maritime Oregon.
I get a lot of chaff about my still running XP Pro, but it's things like this that make me glad I still do.

I wonder if Pol has considered doing a Linux patch for WoFF, It would be really hard to build from ground up I imagine.

Did you know that SDoE and Fighter Squadron WWI was developed on Linux OS systems?

Barmy OFFer in questionable standing, maybe collapsed in a corner?

Join the few, the touched, the moon spacklers.

[image]http://combatace.com/uploads/profile/photo-65486.jpg[/image]
#4182242 - 10/16/15 11:06 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
I just did an update this morning and did none of the "Optional" updates and just the "Critical" ones.
The first "Optional" update I looked at closely was W10 related so I skipped them all.
Hopefully MS didn't deem me going to W10 as " Critical".

#4182243 - 10/16/15 11:13 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Just read the article.
I really cannot believe that there has not been some massive scream about MS's high-handed behavior in this matter.
I am stunned stupid by the whole thing and the fact they are playing this way....and being allowed to get away with it.
Wonder how many semi-computer literate folks have been forcibly "upgraded"?
Millions I bet.

#4182245 - 10/16/15 11:15 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Lewis]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: Lewis
I get a lot of chaff about my still running XP Pro, but it's things like this that make me glad I still do.

I wonder if Pol has considered doing a Linux patch for WoFF, It would be really hard to build from ground up I imagine.

Did you know that SDoE and Fighter Squadron WWI was developed on Linux OS systems?

I wish there was a VIABLE alternative to Windows. I would drop them in a hot second.

#4182262 - 10/16/15 11:47 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
It's Microsoft...business as usual!

" In vino veritas "
#4182306 - 10/16/15 12:52 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Yeah, I've noticed this. It's very annoying! It's my computer - MS should have no right to decide when I must upgrade my OS.

I'm surprised that companies are allowed to behave like this. Well, okay, I'm not really surprised anymore. It seems they can get away with anything, as long as they grease the right politicians.

If there was a true alternative for Windows that would allow me to play all my sims and games without problems, I'd ditch Windows quicker than you can say "MS sucks!"

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4182340 - 10/16/15 02:06 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Just booted my machine up for the first time since this mornings "Critical" updates.
No sign of W10 shenanigans.
Next time I Update I will be most cautious with everything!

#4182448 - 10/16/15 06:24 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Duke, you wonder, why there is no Protest...
a new Generation has risen. We call them Cell-Phone-Zombies.
They do not really differ from regular Zombies. Like them, they are aimlessly lurching around, bumping against Obstacles from Time to Time and keep mumbling and groaning senseless Vocals.
They don't decompose as fast as normal Zombies, and instead of eating human Brains, they permanently need to touch the Screens of their Cell-Phones and look at them.
While a regular Zombie can be taken out by a shot in the Head, that won't work with the Cell-Phone-Zombie, because he has uploaded all higher Brain-Functions into the Internet.
He can only be taken out by separating him from his Cell-Phone.
Sounds easy, but this is an almost impossible Task...

#4182456 - 10/16/15 06:34 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
It's also a change in the philosophy of personal computing, gone are the days where you buy the software and it's yours, now you are just licensing it for your use. I'm not a supporter of Microsoft, but what they are doing isn't new. It sucks for sure, but IMHO it will only get worse. I can see a day where you don't own any software, you're only licensing the use of it.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4182462 - 10/16/15 06:55 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Sandbagger Offline
Hotshot
Sandbagger  Offline
Hotshot

Coningsby, Lincs, UK
On my PC the KB3035583 update came through on the critical updates list, but is in fact the 'nag' installer. Also you'll find folders, probably on your C Drive which end in BT or similar. These are the back up folders generated by the Windows 10 installer, in case you want to restore your original OS within the first month of installing Windows 10. These folders are massive in size.

You can uninstall the KB nag through control panel (view all updates) and delete the OS back folders by using Clean Manager (via the start, search function). However they will probably reappear in the next 'optional' updates!!

Last edited by Sandbagger; 10/16/15 06:58 PM.

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro
#4182481 - 10/16/15 07:45 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Banjoman]  
AceofPengwins Offline
The Flying Penguin
AceofPengwins  Offline
The Flying Penguin

Originally Posted By: Banjoman
It's also a change in the philosophy of personal computing, gone are the days where you buy the software and it's yours, now you are just licensing it for your use. I'm not a supporter of Microsoft, but what they are doing isn't new. It sucks for sure, but IMHO it will only get worse. I can see a day where you don't own any software, you're only licensing the use of it.

Yep - makes me sad. I do like that Steam is pushing linux support with their steamboxes - it's not a perfect solution (since games through steam are still very much the whole 'you have a license to use this rather than owning it') and obviously many things don't support it, but even so, the support today vs. 5 years ago is pretty astounding. The good thing is the pressure it adds for good graphics drivers/etc.

Heir to the honors associated with the Order Sphenisciformes
#4182513 - 10/16/15 08:59 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Nietzsche]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: Nietzsche
Duke, you wonder, why there is no Protest...
a new Generation has risen. We call them Cell-Phone-Zombies.
They do not really differ from regular Zombies. Like them, they are aimlessly lurching around, bumping against Obstacles from Time to Time and keep mumbling and groaning senseless Vocals.
They don't decompose as fast as normal Zombies, and instead of eating human Brains, they permanently need to touch the Screens of their Cell-Phones and look at them.
While a regular Zombie can be taken out by a shot in the Head, that won't work with the Cell-Phone-Zombie, because he has uploaded all higher Brain-Functions into the Internet.
He can only be taken out by separating him from his Cell-Phone.
Sounds easy, but this is an almost impossible Task...

I am afraid you speak much truth sir. All those sci-fi books I read as a kid, about strange futures for mankind, and what people are willing to give up may be coming true!
And thanks SB - off to check if that KB wormed its way aboard.

#4182782 - 10/17/15 12:39 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
@Ace:
Steam is the perfect Example for a great Idea turned Evil. Did you know, that Yanis Varoufakis (former Minister of Treasury of Greece) was Chief-Executive-Whatever of Steam's User-Data-Analysis-Department, before?

#4182994 - 10/18/15 07:49 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
markl Offline
markl  Offline

My Windows 7 box is not connected to the web at this time to hopefully avoid the win10 problems.

I too wish there was an alternative.

Regards MarkL

MarkL
#4183304 - 10/19/15 08:58 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: markl]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Originally Posted By: markl
My Windows 7 box is not connected to the web at this time to hopefully avoid the win10 problems.

Regards MarkL

You really do not really need to stay out of the web,you just "have" to exclude automatic Wiindows updates,that's all! My Win 7 machine has never seen an MS update ever,and it's well and alive thumbsup
@Duke to see those "phantom" MS folders you have to turn on the ability to show"system hidden "files",or you'll never find them but they are there for sure eating your disk precious space. hahaha

" In vino veritas "
#4183305 - 10/19/15 09:07 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Originally Posted By: markl

Regards MarkL

You really do not really need to stay out of the web,you just "have" to exclude automatic Wiindows updates,that's all! My Win 7 machine has never seen an MS update ever,and it's well and alive thumbsup
@Duke to see those "phantom" MS folders you have to turn on the ability to show"system hidden "files",or you'll never find them but they are there for sure eating your disk precious space. hahaha

" In vino veritas "
#4183339 - 10/19/15 11:49 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Already on it sir but thanks for the reminder.

#4183418 - 10/19/15 02:43 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
is W10 that bad???

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4183423 - 10/19/15 02:51 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: lederhosen]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Originally Posted By: lederhosen
is W10 that bad???

It sounds like a bit of a lottery.It's ok for some.I was using it but came across some issues.I've just reverted back to 7 on my gaming laptop and it's probably never going to see 10 again.My only reason for wanting to use 10 (apart from a free O/S) is DX12 gaming and my current laptop doesn't have DX12 hardware.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse