Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4181173 - 10/13/15 07:07 PM Continuously Turning Point  
5555 Offline
Phil S
5555  Offline
Phil S

Civilized California

I recently returned to a program of some personal interest, "Turning Point" by Codemasters (2006). Surprisingly and contrary to the advice of Codemaster's tech support, the game does function on Windows 7 (x64).

However, I am now confronting a problem which I had some how circumvented in "XP Days": The player spins counter clockwise

Does anyone know how to stabilize the player so he can watch the Zeppelins drop bombs over New York? There was a repair that I recall for XP and which I have now forgotten. Help save the world!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4181214 - 10/13/15 08:22 PM Re: Continuously Turning Point [Re: 5555]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Love the title pun on the game name- hate it with all my considerable might.

I'm still willing to help...
I'll start with base question #1.

Do uou happen to have any game peripherals connected?

If so, remove, goto 10, repeat.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4181334 - 10/14/15 02:23 AM Re: Continuously Turning Point [Re: 5555]  
5555 Offline
Phil S
5555  Offline
Phil S

Civilized California

Thank you for your amusement. After a few days of frustration with Codemasters and my own efforts, I had to find some humor in the point of frustration.

I do hope you can help. I do recall that there is some patch workaround. I have looked and found multiple anti-CD validation patches which successfully disable the program. There is a 'something somewhere' which stops the counter clockwise of the primary idiot. I had the same problems on the old XP installation of a decade ago.

As for peripherals, I have a camera, mouse and joystick USB ported into the system to which the continuous turning program resides. Is this the distraction?

As for "remove, goto 10, repeat", I do not understand your intent. I am too PC frustrated and too old to understand. Please claify

#4181407 - 10/14/15 07:03 AM Re: Continuously Turning Point [Re: 5555]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

What I mean is- there is the chance that the Joystick is inputting a movement in the game.

I'd suggest to unplug it and leave only the USB peripherals you absolutely need to play the game (leave the webcam connected- it's no harm).

Clarification...

Usually the simmers folks around SimHQ have a wealthy amount of extra stuff plugged in, varying from steering wheels, pedals (many!), sticks and throttles for flight simulations- you name it, someone has it! biggrin

It's not unheard of that some of those (in this case I suspect your joystick) interfere with stuff they're not wanted into.

About the "If so, remove, goto 10, repeat." just dismiss it- it's a thing I shouldn't have written.
It was probably simpler to put- Unplug the joystick and run the game again, see if it works.
I'm sorry- :P I use lingo when I shouldn't.

Try it and we'll see.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4181588 - 10/14/15 05:29 PM Re: Continuously Turning Point [Re: 5555]  
5555 Offline
Phil S
5555  Offline
Phil S

Civilized California

Eureka! I un-USBed myself and my world stopped spinning. Thank You. Your assistance was superior to Codemasters who sent me back to the beach to pound more sand.

I am no longer a dervish. I can get killed all by myself without having the world spin counter-clockwise.

#4181613 - 10/14/15 06:05 PM Re: Continuously Turning Point [Re: 5555]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Goto 10 repeat is a BASIC reference. The repeat part is redundant, 10 refers to the first line of code, basic numbered in tens by default. - You can't be that old, 5555. wink

The spinning usually comes from some device that shows more axes to the OS than it actually has. These 'empty' axes are usually reported as '0,0'. Most games know what to do and ignore these, but some interpret them as active axes and put you in a hard spin. The culprit is usually the pedals.

Don Quixote's misfortune is not his imagination, but Sancho Panza.
#4181695 - 10/14/15 09:45 PM Re: Continuously Turning Point [Re: 5555]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

@5555: AHHAHA no probs! wink Glad it worked.

@Amarok: yep, I sort of hate my rudders! biggrin

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.