Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33
#4179691 - 10/10/15 01:49 AM WOFF Sopwith Challenge  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

In honor of loftyc and the poor departed Sam Colerhedge, here we go!

Welcome to the Wings Over Flanders Fields Sopwith Challenge!

The assistance and camaraderie that you get from something like this or Olham's DiD Campaign or the Centenary Challenge if you are new to WOFF will help increase your enjoyment of the sim and make you a better pilot as well.

This time, we’ll be swapping sides to pay back those ungrateful fliegers we were flying with before! ‘Course then we’ll probably have to do the same thing for our next challenge to get back at these guys!…

In order to participate in this challenge you must:
1. Declare your interest and intent in this thread on or before Saturday, October 17, 2015.
2. Create a pilot using the manual squad creation option with a start date of October 20, 1917, flying for Britain in No. 46 Squadron with the rank of 2nd Lieutenant.
3. Commit to flying 3-7 missions per week with this pilot, but no more than one per campaign day.
4. Report at least every weekend in this topic thread with his current successes or failures.
5. Faithfully communicate to your brethren the falling of your avatar when such event actually transpires.

Please enter your pilot at this link:
( Survey Link )
Please update this survey after every few missions, or at least once a week!

This is kind of a "Who's Line Is It Anyway" sort of affair where we try to have fun with good people.
Reporting can be by any of the following methods:
-Text is good
-Pictures are better
-Videos are what this sim is made for!

There were some great reports and pictures and vids in the previous challenges, so look over them if you want some ideas!

This is single elimination, so one death and you are out. Keep in mind that even if you are not playing "dead is dead" in the workshop, at the end of each mission it will still tell you that "Sadly, your pilot has died" if his injuries were fatal so you don't need to switch your settings for this. If you land behind enemy lines with less than DID workshop settings, use these guidelines: in or on the edge of No Mans Land, you escape. Within 5 miles of the front, 50-50 (flip a coin). More than 5 miles behind the lines, you are captured, war over!

When you set up your pilot, click on "Manual Squad Deployment" in the lower right hand corner of the enlistment page. Set up the following screen so it looks like this:

Scoring:

Missions: +2 point each
Time survived: +2 points each week
Confirmed kill: +3 points each
Becoming an ace: +5 points (only once)
Promotion: +5 points each promotion
Medals: +3 points each
Survive to end of Challenge: +10 points
Wounding: -8 points each occurrence

This challenge will have a have a hard end date of Sunday, November 8th. That gives us three weeks and a day. You can have a maximum of 23 missions total. Then we can tally the points and declare a winner. You are certainly free to continue to fly your pilot after that if still alive, but for point determination, we need a cut-off date.

The Fine Print: (Rules)
You may use whatever aids you are used to using. Wind should be set to “On”. Please set your weather to “Historical Weather.” Flight model should be realistic and you should have weapons jams and limited ammo and all that jazz...
One other point: I think we can all agree that balloons are too easy to take down as it stands, so on your Gentleman’s Honour, you may only claim a balloon if you are on a balloon busting mission and only the one that is the mission target.
Feel free to lead your flights if you want!

The point is to have fun and we had outstanding support and sportsmanship from all fliers last time and we would love to see some new faces!

As far as time advancement, please follow these guidelines:

Allow time to advance as normal except fly no more than one mission per campaign day (time advance manually as necessary)
For every month of campaign time, you can advance two days on the calendar. (48hr pass to visit mum)
For every promotion, advance five campaign days.
For every five kills, advance 3 campaign days.
For becoming an ace, advance 3 campaign days (cumulative with 5 kills above)

This Is NEW!!! After each mission, please advance forward 2 days. This will allow for moving forward in time a little bit further and spread out our collective awesomeness to a more believable level. These missed days will represent non-contact patrols, milk runs to pick up new planes, washouts, etc. Follow all other time advancements as above.

At the end of the challenge, I will tabulate the winning pilot overall and declare him king of Retribution!!!
So for prizes, Lou has generously offered up a custom paint job for the ride of your choice! (I recommend Zeppelin!) and I will throw in this engraved tankard, which seems pretty cool...

Of course, it will actually say something about the challenge and I will have to look into overseas shipping if our European contingent wins, but there it is!

Remember though, your first job is to stay alive! You can’t win if you are dead! If I survive, it will be the first one I have finished!

We are starting with the Sopwith Pup and several of us should survive to get the Camel, so please paint your scout early and often! I know we are all looking forward to some inspired schemes! Remember, the Pup is a murder machine, but you can lose a wing so still be careful. Also, our squad mates are only average, so don’t rely on them to always back you up…

Official challenge start time is Saturday, October 17th, whenever that starts local to you, grab some QC time in your bird and we’ll be (W)OFF!

I will update this area with pilots and scores as the challenge progresses, so you can always check here for the latest info…

List of Pilots:
Banjoman
MudWasp
carrick58
Smosh
Rick Rawlings
Nietzsche
CW3SF
OldHat
maxpeck d.n.p.
RAF Louvert
Hellshade
MFair
Olham
CatKnight
Aceofpengwins
Fullofit
loftyc
gaw1
Maeran
MeneMene
LowDrag

Strikethrough indicates a pilot's demise, d.n.p. = did not participate, number to the right of the pilot is the final score

Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 11/04/15 05:46 AM.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4179695 - 10/10/15 02:15 AM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
twoweeks is over!!! cheers bananadance

#4179698 - 10/10/15 02:28 AM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Hahahaha, you're are a genius and you can definitely count me in. The Pup is one of my all time favorite planes.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4179700 - 10/10/15 02:30 AM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Hey, how did you get a pic of me at the computer desk?
Oh, what rank do we enlist as?

#4179704 - 10/10/15 02:37 AM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Rick, those of us that resemble that fine fellow sitting at the computer need details. biggrin

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4179705 - 10/10/15 02:38 AM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: MudWasp]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted By: MudWasp
Hey, how did you get a pic of me at the computer desk?

My spies are legion!

Originally Posted By: MudWasp

Oh, what rank do we enlist as?

News at 11...AM!

psst...2nd Lieutenant

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4179707 - 10/10/15 02:46 AM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
ok....

#4179714 - 10/10/15 03:44 AM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wave

notworthy Cant wait whoohoo cheers

#4179724 - 10/10/15 04:39 AM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
Looking forward to this one! At last, a plane I can actually fly!

Rabbits, break right and climb.
#4179749 - 10/10/15 09:16 AM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Gee - did you sing that "Pup" tune yourself, Rick? Sounds very professional!
Your frontal attack though was - aerh - almost suicidal. duck

And mind you: the Albatros was a rugged mount - she wouldn't fall apart from the slow-firing
"Pop - pop - pop" (quote from 46 Sqdn pilot A. G. Lee) single machine gun of a Sopwith Pup!
attack

But I like the little cutie (the Pup), and I like No. 46 Sqdn, RFC - so maybe...

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4179752 - 10/10/15 09:57 AM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Wayfarer Offline
Wayfarer  Offline

Near Birmingham U.K.
Err ... so this is, like, the single from Matt's new soundtrack project ... yeah?

Last edited by Wayfarer; 10/10/15 09:57 AM.
#4179754 - 10/10/15 10:32 AM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Sandbagger Offline
Hotshot
Sandbagger  Offline
Hotshot

Coningsby, Lincs, UK
That's classic band

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro
#4179771 - 10/10/15 12:17 PM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Yeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaw!

...but what's your Pup's Name? General... Hastings?

#4179786 - 10/10/15 02:00 PM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Olham]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted By: Olham
Gee - did you sing that "Pup" tune yourself, Rick? Sounds very professional!

Thanks, Olham, I actually did all the parts. I can't top this one unless I evolve into Matt Milne! The only problem is, when I sing it in my head, I sound just like Waylon Jennings, then I listen to the playback and I'm like "eeesh!" But then again, these are supposed to feel a little homespun...

But I like the little cutie (the Pup), and I like No. 46 Sqdn, RFC - so maybe...

*fingers crossed* salute

Originally Posted By: Nietzsche
...but what's your Pup's Name? General... Hastings?

Wellesley!

#4179787 - 10/10/15 02:13 PM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Well, I'll go Trans-American, then. My Character will be:

#4179793 - 10/10/15 02:22 PM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Count me in, I should be moved to AZ from CO and ready to get in to the fray.
Can I use my 50 Cal. mizzle loading "smoke pole" as a reserve weapon?

My bum left shoulder will require a "rotator cuff" surgery, but after our in date.

Getting old is not for wimps!

CW3SF

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4179800 - 10/10/15 02:51 PM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Oh, by the Way:
That was freakin' awesome, Rick!
At first I thought "Wait a minute, that's not the original Soundtrack...", then I started listening to the Lyrics... and you also played the Music by yourself? Unbelievable! clapping

...have you got a download-Link for that Song?

Last edited by Nietzsche; 10/10/15 03:03 PM.
#4179812 - 10/10/15 03:17 PM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
maxpeck Offline
Genius at Exploding
maxpeck  Offline
Genius at Exploding

London, UK
Just watched the video

That is damn funny Rick biggrin

I might have to get involved in this

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

#4179816 - 10/10/15 03:28 PM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Rick_Rawlings
Thanks, Olham, I actually did all the parts.
I can't top this one unless I evolve into Matt Milne!
The only problem is, when I sing it in my head, I sound just like Waylon Jennings, then I listen
to the playback and I'm like "eeesh!"

I guess I know what you mean - I have that same effect when I listen to my answering machine. biggrin
I know almost nothing about "Country Music" *, Rick, but this sounds great to me as it is.
No Waylon Jennings - this is the original Rick Rawlings.

* just some names, like Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Gram Parsons, Willie Nelson, the beautiful
Emmylou Harris; and the "Soggy Bottom Boys".
The only country CD I own is from a lady, Lucinda Williams - not sure if that's a good sign or a bad...? cowboy

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4179841 - 10/10/15 04:26 PM Re: Has It Been Two Weeks Yet? [Re: Olham]  
maxpeck Offline
Genius at Exploding
maxpeck  Offline
Genius at Exploding

London, UK
and the "Soggy Bottom Boys".

Those guys are awesome

Also - if you are into country/bluegrass please give Gillian Welch a listen
She sings the most heartbreakingly beautiful music I have ever heard

Elvis Presley Blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FM8ui2ByUI

I'll Fly Away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyN-krBTWLY

My First Lover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ZcAkcypgY

The Revelator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdYG-Nh_AxU

My nephew recommended that I listen to her
I don't think I have ever heard more beautiful music

PS Sorry for hijacking your thread Rick - I'll leave you all alone now cowboy

Last edited by maxpeck; 10/10/15 04:40 PM.

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM