Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4178946 - 10/08/15 11:29 AM Mordheim - City of the Damned  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

I had backed this one a long time ago and left it simmer in the dungeons of steam. I thought I would check in on it and was pleasantly surprised how far its come. I was only intending to take a look at it, but I created a warband, started a campaign and am already a few missions in.

For those that like turn based strategy games with RPG character development and remember the board game, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Its a randomly generated map with varied objectives in a 3d turn based strategy game with some of the characters we have come to know and enjoy.

Of course I created a Chaos warband (as I am an evil Bastage) and I have already sent my first cache shipment off to the evil gods to gain their approval (or gold as I am a greedy Bastage) and I am thoroughly enjoying the game.

The characters in your warband have RPG character type upgradable attributes and skills. They also have (which is a great mechanic) permanent injury status. So your characters can be injured, hurt or killed and death is permanent. Incapacitation in battle does not mean death, your character at the end of the match can return to the warband with equipment lost, injuries requiring treatment and downtime or death.

You need to manage your warband as each member costs money to hire and purchasing extra goodies for your crew gives hard choices in respect of money management versus buying shiny things.

It has online play as well where you can choose to take your warband characters into battle risking their health or great rewards, or you can choose a match style where the injuries on line and money made are not considered to the permanent status of your warband (aka friendly match).

If this sounds like your cup 'O tea, then check it out. I am happy with it so far. Though one word of caution is that it has a UI system that takes some understanding as the game has many facets of play.

I will post some pics or my next match in a bit

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4178956 - 10/08/15 12:29 PM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Home screen

My warband (low level)

Loading screen into game. This is the first time you know the scenario of your deployment. On this one, my team were scattered due to something hideous, a rival warband has picked up on this and is hunting us down. So I am starting at a possible disadvantage.... Grrrrr (well my play style is a disadvantage)

My warband Leader Eldbert (no I didn't choose the name) Not a pretty chap.. but then again, they all aren't
Chaaaaaaooooosssss !!!!

One of my ranged class, at least his ugly mug is covered by a hood. Quick and nimble put them in cover positions in buildings up high and they can cause some trouble.

My Hero unit Gelris. Though low level I have given him a little rusty helmet I pilfered off a dead rival. Fitting them out shows in game. Still hopefully his bad looks and gingivitis will scare some away

Another member who (luckily for him) found a mask that makes his face look pretty. The game is already started and at this point, I am trying to get my warband regrouped. I had high hopes for these two... sadly I was mistaken.

A henchman, purched on a ledge up top. You can climb and drop and enter buildings. He has a good vantage point, but with no ranged weapons he is useless there. He needs to get back to the warband as he is all alone...... He almost made it.... almost.

We spotted our first enemy. Now we know who we are fighting. Sisters of sigmar. Women-esque type humans that love working out and smashing things with big heavy implements. I decided to double team her (ooh err) to get an advantage (I am chaos and yes I will hit a woman). But unbeknownst to me.... she has friends. Not only that, my leader missed a crucial shot... I need to have words with the training department.

As the battle is progressing I manage to reunite my archer to my warband leader and he plinks the unlucky "lady" with an arrow to say hi. At this point, I am feeling quite happy with the battle.... I should have known better. She is putting up a tough prolonged fight.

My warband leader using one of his abilities to buff his weapon. But the chaos gods are fickle and spells can backfire with the god swinging his finger of unhappiness my way... who's side is he on anyway.

At a different point of the map, not too far away two more of my trusty henchmen have been engaged. My hero delivers a nasty blow to the maiden and stuns her to her knees. Of course I am chaos, so whilst she is down, we hit her again. But the ladies have reinforcements, one in the background is ready to engage, we won't have the superior numbers for long.

Well battle isn't going my way, these not so trusty henchmen were ambushed by several really butch "ladies" swinging big things. Two of my men lay defeated including my hero and the attacker showed no respect by looting their bodies in the midst of battle.... she's got some balls on her !!!

Unfortunately, it was a devastating battle. Though we put up a fight, our attrition was too high. The ladies grouped and headed for my remaining men and warband leader... who in his infinite wisdom succumbed to failed leadership test and gave up the match running like the cowardly dog he is with his tail between his legs.

The gods will not be pleased.

Fighterops...

#4179249 - 10/08/15 11:22 PM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Allaire Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent
Allaire  Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent

AR, USA
Did they finally get the warband progression in the game?

Silent enim legēs inter arma.

Cave canem, te necet lingendo.
#4179261 - 10/09/15 12:03 AM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Does it sort of play like the newer Xcoms? I love those.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4179266 - 10/09/15 12:11 AM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Yep its in there, the progressions seems to work well. Training takes men out of battle, injuries cost money to treat and take men out of battle for a number of days. I have already had some reserves of my warband out of action (max was 3 days i think for being almost killed)

The campaign which I am discovering looks good. There are set matches, but you can send scouts for money to reveal additional (maybe not so hard) missions that could be better suited to your warbands level.

Character development is very deep now with not only stats to raise, but spells, equipment, traits both permanent and activated.

I am pleased with it.

Fighterops...

#4179267 - 10/09/15 12:13 AM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: Coot]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Originally Posted By: Coot
Does it sort of play like the newer Xcoms? I love those.

Yes it does. Totally turn based. Deep RPG elements but set in a 3d environment, so your movement is not limited to squares or hexes.

Fighterops...

#4179273 - 10/09/15 12:30 AM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Allaire Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent
Allaire  Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent

AR, USA
I was holding off but I think I'm going to pick this up next sale time. Thanks for the info bogus.

#4179358 - 10/09/15 07:44 AM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

I have got an after actin report going and I will post my missions as I go.

[edit]. Oops I already see that you have found it

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 10/09/15 07:46 AM.

Fighterops...

#4179366 - 10/09/15 09:25 AM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I had my eyes on this one for a long time. Looking very good, I love the whole Mordheim setting and turn-based combat. The RPG elements are the icing on the cake.

yep

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4179376 - 10/09/15 10:41 AM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Forget it Para, you'll need a month for Witcher 3. Or a new wife to manage both.

#4179608 - 10/09/15 08:55 PM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Hehe... I'm not saying I'll buy it tomorrow.
wink

But if the development continues this way I'll get it sooner or later.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

#4179874 - 10/10/15 05:46 PM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Well if the persistent nature of the characters is a plus for you, well.... I think I have a pleasant surprise.

I have just completed the next foray into Mordheim, and the AAR will be up in a little. If like me, you could be very surprised in a good way how the persistence affects your warband and your future decisions.

Again I am very surprised and impressed.

It certainly has given Eldbert some decisions moving forward. I should have it up in an hour or so

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 10/10/15 05:48 PM.

Fighterops...

#4179879 - 10/10/15 05:52 PM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Looks really good, and I see it even has controller support. I'm not real big on TBS fantasy games, but this looks like it would be good for me if it goes on sale.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4179890 - 10/10/15 06:12 PM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Allaire Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent
Allaire  Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent

AR, USA
I'll post the map of Mordheim here too.

Checked the fb page and it looks like they are anticipating a release around the first week of November.

Last edited by Allaire; 10/11/15 04:51 AM.

#4180123 - 10/11/15 09:31 AM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

For those interested in the game, but are not into the ramblings of my AAR.

I can go into some more details of the persistence of the characters.

Injuries is the main one. Death is permanent and whilst a character might be defeated in game, they aren't necessarily dead.

A defeated character has to first "roll the dice" if they are injured in anyway. This can be anything from minor bruising (effectively letting that character participate again in the next match) to death, which is permanent.

In between these two extremes is a host of items and injuries with their own repercussions. This can be time out of matches whilst being treated to permanent disfigurement or both. One of my characters received a maimed hand (lost two fingers) and receives a permanent penalty to mêlée and ranges weapons. All disfigurement are graphically represented on the characters model

This creates an interesting mechanic where you have a choice to keep the penalty and the experience of the character (Including any days out of action for injury) or do you replace that member with a new guy whom has no skills at all.

Not so much a choice at lower levels, but at higher levels, this could be a real problem to solve

The second "roll of the dice" is that your character can loose some or all of their equipment trying to make it back to the Warband. this can have financial constraints where valuable equipment may be lost and repurchased again diverting costs from skill upgrades.

Another character (I am playing chaos) has received a mutation, not entirely sure what it does, but surely a big eye on your chest is a good thing right? Again, this is visually represented on the character.

A fun game with an engrossing RPG element. So far, its keeping more than my interest.

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 10/11/15 09:36 AM.

Fighterops...

#4180183 - 10/11/15 03:47 PM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Sounds a bit like the system in Blood Bowl where your players earn experience in games but can also suffer lasting injuries and death. I like this kind of team management system, although it can be very frustrating to lose a leveled-up hero to an unlucky dice roll.

#4180204 - 10/11/15 06:06 PM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Allaire Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent
Allaire  Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent

AR, USA
Better hope they don't have the head injury in game. 50-50 odds to either get stupidity or frenzy. Man I love campaigns in TT.

#4181883 - 10/15/15 01:19 PM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Bought it. Quite a fun game, very punishing at times. And you have to be able to deal with the (chaos) gods of RNG.

My warband:

#4182050 - 10/15/15 08:36 PM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
Hehe... I'm not saying I'll buy it tomorrow.
wink

But if the development continues this way I'll get it sooner or later.

7 posts and less than 24 hours later:

Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
Bought it. Quite a fun game, very punishing at times. And you have to be able to deal with the (chaos) gods of RNG.

Way to resist the impulse to buy, Para :P

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#4182087 - 10/15/15 10:41 PM Re: Mordheim - City of the Damned [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
What is TBS fantasy?

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.