Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4177935 - 10/06/15 01:59 AM A few days in Syria [CMSF]  
CCIP Offline
CCIP  Offline

As a quick introduction - I wanted to play a bit of CMSF, but rather than playing fictional campaigns that the game is built for, I wanted to try out some of the messy, multi-faction warfare that is going on in reality. So, I decided to play some QB (quick battle missions), but instead of just playing them on their own, I strung them together by keeping track of statistics and results from one fight to the next to determine the following course of battle. It's not meant as a complete AAR, just some pictures from my adventures with a bit of a story for flavour biggrin

As a result, below is a quick story of a several-day battle for an unnamed city, held by the IS at the start - but with their position weakened by Russian air strikes, it is high time both for Assad's army forces and local anti-government militia to move in and take the city for themselves.

In this campaign, I alternately took control of the pro-Assad and anti-government militias, as they battled the IS and each other. The regime forces, operating with some serious mechanized and armor support, are commanded by a certain Colonel Zuabi. The anti-government militia, armed with small arms and RPGs and supported by a mobile force of technicals, are led by a former military officer known as Commander Al Melahel.

Day 1

At dusk, a patrol of local militants led by a certain Lieutenant Doud moves out into the countryside, and towards a compound overlooking the city to the south, known to be occupied as a lookout by IS fighters.

Doud's men surprise the IS fighters patrolling outside the compound, and then rush in to occupy the building on the hill.

The fight for the compound is quick, resulting in about 20 casualties on both sides. The surviving IS militants in the compound surrender and are captured.

Day 2

Over the course of the following night and morning, the militants fortify the compound, using it to direct mortar fire against both IS and approaching government troops. It soon attracts attention of Assad's forces, who send a patrol towards this position.

With snipers and RPGs on the roof, Lieutenant Doud's men keep watch.

They soon sight army patrols approaching, but vastly understimate their strength...

...until an army BMP opens fire on the compound.

The militants respond with RPG fire, but are not able to take out the BMP.

The only chance to stop the army from overrunning the hill compound is to hold them back by retreating into the compound and facing them at close range.

The soldiers rush into the compound, and are cut down by heavy fire. The first wave is beaten back, however the 2nd wave has more success.

The assault inflicts some 30 casualties, but ultimately the soldiers overrun the compound.

After brutal close-range fighting, the remaining militants surrender. Only one man, who happened to be outside the compound during the attack, manages to escape, reporting the results to Commander Al-Melahel. The army, meanwhile, use the compound to stage for their upcoming attack on the city.

[to be continued]

If you're having trim problems, I feel bad for you son
I got ninety-nine problems, but my pitch ain't one...
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4177939 - 10/06/15 02:07 AM Re: A few days in Syria [CMSF] [Re: CCIP]  
CCIP Offline
CCIP  Offline

Day 2 [continued]

After the hill compound is captured, government soldiers continue to push with recon towards the city. A company under the command of Captain Hosseini moves through the hills towards a small village, on the outskirts of which they encounter IS patrols.

Taking up positions inside the village buildings, they open fire on the IS from a well-covered position.

This guy is doing the famous IS finger-pointing gesture for one last time!

Although the soldiers' fire is effective, they are temporarily pinned down after taking RPG fire from the IS, which causes a few casualties.

Having fired their rockets, the IS fighters retreat further towards the city, fleeing through the fields.

Here, they pass a small village where Commander Al Melahel's force is entrenched, with their black armed technicals at the ready.

The anti-government militants observe the IS fleeing, then the army in pursuit. They decide to wait out for a resolution between the IS and Assad's forces before committing themselves to the battle...

[to be continued]

#4177942 - 10/06/15 02:19 AM Re: A few days in Syria [CMSF] [Re: CCIP]  
CCIP Offline
CCIP  Offline

Day 2 [continued]

As IS flees towards their city stronghold and the local anti-government militants stand back, Colonel Zuabi orders his main armored spearhead in pursuit.

They finally encounter a firm IS position in a village on the city outskirts, which is subjected to a bombardment by mortars before Zuabi's T-72s move into action.

The advance moves swiftly and with no losses to the tanks.

However, the fighting proves more challenging to the inexperienced foot soldiers, who take a number of casualties in the fight.

The tanks smoke the militants out of dug-in positions in groves on the village outskirts, and then move to assault the village itself.

They quickly breach the village perimeter and overwhelm the remaining IS fighters in the village center.

After this, Zuabi's heavy tanks move onwards towards the city, leaving a garrison of infantry behind to secure the village. This is where the militant commander Al Melahel sees his opportunity to act...

As darkness falls in the evening, Al Melahel's technicals creep up on the edge of town.

The militants rush into the woods, finding government troops dug in at the same positions where the IS was just hours earlier.

A violent close-range battle develops.

Both sides take losses; a couple of Al-Melahel's technicals are knocked out. However, demoralized by the lack of support and the rebels' ferocity, Assad's troops soon begin to surrender.

The rebels manage to overrun the defensive positions and enter the village, moving onwards towards the city outskirts by morning...

[to be continued...]

#4177957 - 10/06/15 02:53 AM Re: A few days in Syria [CMSF] [Re: CCIP]  
CCIP Offline
CCIP  Offline

Day 3

Unaware of the setback to the garrison behind him, Colonel Zuabi pushes into the outskirts of the city itself at dawn.

With artillery covering his approach, the initial attack goes smoothly.

IS militants can only offer sporadic resistance within the city limits, which is easily overrun with tanks.

Although a few infantry losses are suffered by Assad's troops, no armored vehicles are lost in the attack, and they soon control the city's edge.

Al Melahel's force arrives in town a few hours later, but quickly realize that the army's tanks are still very much here.

Under the barrels of Colonel Zuabi's tanks, the militants flee out of town, taking a few casualties in the process.

The tanks set off in pursuit this time.

Fortunately for the militants, they're able to break contact and withdraw.

However, a couple of the technicals are blown up by the T-72s while fleeing.

[to be continued]

#4177967 - 10/06/15 03:21 AM Re: A few days in Syria [CMSF] [Re: CCIP]  
CCIP Offline
CCIP  Offline

Day 3 [continued]

After chasing off Al Melahel's group of militants, the forces of Assad's army resume their attack on IS positions in the city.

They encounter only sporadic resistance on the streets, and make good progress before darkness falls.

As darkness returns, so do Al Melahel's men and technicals. Circling around to the south side of the city, they try to attack IS positions, already under pressure from government forces.

They quickly run into fighters hiding around city corners.

Armed with RPGs, the IS combatants deny effective cover to the anti-government militants.

Technicals also bog down as RPG fire proves difficult to avoid in the darkness.

Ultimately, the rebel advance against IS position stalls, with RPG fire used by both sides to keep each other at bay until dawn.

[to be continued]

#4177971 - 10/06/15 03:32 AM Re: A few days in Syria [CMSF] [Re: CCIP]  
CCIP Offline
CCIP  Offline

Day 4

In the morning of the next day, the Assad forces prepare to attack the IS-held center of town by launching heavy artillery and air bombardments.

Troops and tanks move up into their initial positions for assault.

After the smoke clears, sections of the town have been turned into rubble.

The bombardment continues even as Colonel Zuabi's force begins their advance.

Tanks move up the city streets to neutralize targets.

Technicals caught out in the open prove easy targets.

Helicopter gunships also strafe these ruined positions from the air.

Finally, tanks move in to finish the job.

By early afternoon, all IS resistance in the city is squashed and the surviving militants flee the city.

[to be continued]

#4177975 - 10/06/15 03:42 AM Re: A few days in Syria [CMSF] [Re: CCIP]  
CCIP Offline
CCIP  Offline

Day 4 [continued]

What of Al Melahel's anti-government militants? Luckily for them, they escaped most of the carnage in the city during the day. After stalling in their advance against the IS on the previous night, they pulled out of the city for a 2nd time in the morning and were gone by the time the bombardment started.

Al Melahel gets his surviving troops and technicals into a fairly safe overwatch position in a small village. From here, they are able to fight back encroaching army patrols.

With Colonel Zuabi's tanks still preoccupied securing the town, they are able to hold this ground for the course of the day. However, by evening their ammunition is running low.

As the sun sets, snipers watch nervously for signs of larger forces approaching their position.

But the first sign of their approach is when one, then another of Al Melahel's technicals, out on watch in the fields, is blown sky-high by a tank gun.

Seeing that the odds are very poor, Al Melahel orders his forces to flee under the cover of dark.

Day 5

With the city taken by Assad's troops and IS having been forced out of their position, the local militants pull away into the hills. With odds against tanks in open ground clearly not on their side, and the city already under government control, it would not be wise for them to stay in the area any longer. Although unable to secure any important victories, Al Melahel's band of fighters manage to avoid heavy casualties and retreat to fight another day.

That's all I have for now salute

Last edited by CCIP; 10/06/15 03:43 AM.

#4177989 - 10/06/15 04:54 AM Re: A few days in Syria [CMSF] [Re: CCIP]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Pics or it didn't happen... hahaha

Holy smokes! Very well put together AAR! When I see a cool mission report like this it makes me want to go out and purchase the game.

Nice work!

thumbsup

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4178955 - 10/08/15 12:29 PM Re: A few days in Syria [CMSF] [Re: CCIP]  
Abdolmartin Offline
Abdolmartin  Offline

Amazing AAR, dude! Let's hope they create a CM:Shock Force 2. That would be a blast to play.

#4183525 - 10/19/15 06:06 PM Re: A few days in Syria [CMSF] [Re: CCIP]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Superbly done! Really enjoyed this. It has been a very long time since I've played this game.

#4183541 - 10/19/15 06:25 PM Re: A few days in Syria [CMSF] [Re: CCIP]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

thumbsupgood read

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
#4184408 - 10/21/15 04:14 PM Re: A few days in Syria [CMSF] [Re: CCIP]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Fun game. However the game seriously needs an "Alahu Ackbar" sound mod, it would be hilarious hearing it constantly in the distance.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.