Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4177185 - 10/04/15 06:38 AM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: CG2015]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: CG2015
That annoying woman said she had to swim back because her kayak was damaged.

Hello? She had a cell phone! Why didn't she call the park Rangers to come get her?

Like I said, she's "dumb" despite some people writing a thesis on woman psychology telling me otherwise.

Not sure how this thread become skewed towards a gender specific theme but she's stupid for a human, regardless male or female. You would think that if you are going to live out in the boonies, you are expected to be conversant with some survival knowledge..ergo how to respond to wildlife encounters.

Of course she chose to converse with the animal...in English no less....and actually asking the furry thing what it was doing there and why it was trashing property. Urban lackwit

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4177202 - 10/04/15 08:12 AM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: CG2015]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Originally Posted By: CG2015
That annoying woman said she had to swim back because her kayak was damaged.

Hello? She had a cell phone! Why didn't she call the park Rangers to come get her?

Cell phones only work if cell towers are around. No coverage, your on your own. Its Alaska and bears dont need cell coverage.

Well she is annoying... but the bear did not want to get any closer to her annoying voice so how dumb can she be? I guess i am way less critical of what she did and how she did it. I see her only glaring fault was leaving something that smelled interesting to the bear in the kayak. If she is in the inland passage as I assume she may have been close to an island town or way way out there. Who knows.

In the end she only really panics when her transport was being wrecked. That for good reason.

Last edited by FlashBurn; 10/04/15 08:18 AM.
#4177204 - 10/04/15 08:26 AM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: CG2015]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

Next time she needs to remember smash that bears do have names they like to be addressed by:

Yogi, Boo-Boo, Red, Brown, Black, Grizzly, Teddy, Coca-Cola, Polar, Care, Panda.

winkngrin

#4177231 - 10/04/15 12:48 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: CG2015]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
And Ben. You forgot Ben.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4177243 - 10/04/15 01:50 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: CG2015]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
Don't forget:

#4177594 - 10/05/15 01:56 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: CG2015]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I ruined a car video a guy at work was watching last week when I pointed out the narrator/host/YT guy did the same thing. Every. Single. Sentence.

The new Miata has speakers in the headrests? It gets improved gas mileage? Handling is smart in the wet? When we took it for a test drive? We noticed it was even more fun?

He said he hadn't noticed till I pointed it out, then he couldn't think of anything else and quit watching it. smile

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4177688 - 10/05/15 05:13 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Originally Posted By: Harry-the-Ruskie

Like I said, she's "dumb" despite some people writing a thesis on woman psychology telling me otherwise.

You're saying she's dumb for no particular good reason.

Quote:
Not sure how this thread become skewed towards a gender specific theme but she's stupid for a human, regardless male or female. You would think that if you are going to live out in the boonies, you are expected to be conversant with some survival knowledge..ergo how to respond to wildlife encounters.

I said what I did because you retrieved an older topic about what I think of women. I intend to make clear the way I view them.

Quote:
Of course she chose to converse with the animal...in English no less....and actually asking the furry thing what it was doing there and why it was trashing property. Urban lackwit

You might not have read what I said in this thread previously: Expert advice is that you are supposed to talk to bears when they approach like that. It's not whether they understand English any more than people's pets understand English- and still people talk to their pets. It's not that animals understand your vocabulary, but they are understanding your emotional state and they can read your confidence and body language and the strength and cadence of your voice- and they can detect smells that give them other information.

These Masai men look 'dumb' for what they are attempting- approaching an entire lion pride like that, attempting to intimidate them and take their kill away from them. Confidence and body language are the keys- if they had done this incorrectly, it may turn out differently. But they do it correctly. Isn't it dumb? It worked. If it hadn't worked, would it have been dumb? If results are what separates out dumb people, I don't understand your point of view- that woman was not attacked by the bear, she lived. Yes, it turned on her kayak, but it's like some of you think she should have rushed and attacked the bear for doing it, or else, I don't know what it is you expect.

So, this woman isn't doing anything that's dumb, she's reverting to the correct script- the problem is that her confidence is lacking when she does it. Someone can merely know all the right moves and know the formula (for example when cold approaching women or talking at a job interview), but if their confidence is lacking, they're still messing it up. That's not the same as dumb.

#4177719 - 10/05/15 06:00 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: CG2015]  
Hack157th Offline
Ubergoof
Hack157th  Offline
Ubergoof

Mankato, MN.
Wow...Those guys have some stones..

#4177739 - 10/05/15 06:22 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: CG2015]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
This is like the start of a Darwin award video.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4177751 - 10/05/15 06:33 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: CG2015]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Just out of curiosity, a question for those who have had been face to face with a Grizzly: what did you do in that situation?

Even though there are some wild bears in parts of the Alps (a couple of years ago, a bear wandered into southern Bavaria and subsequently got himself shot, which led to a media debate that lasted for weeks), the most dangerous animals around here are actually wild boars and escaped dogs. Here and there, wolfs have been spotted, but just as with bears, they are still very rare (migrating from south-eastern Europe).

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4177755 - 10/05/15 06:42 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: Mechanus]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: Mechanus

So, this woman isn't doing anything that's dumb...

Yes she was.

- From the original post, she was outside her cabin in Berg Bay. If you watch the video closely, at about the 5 to 6 second mark, you see what appears to be the corner of a platform that she is standing upon. As in, she almost certainly could have stayed in her cabin, or taken a few steps back slowly (rather than start talking to the bear and thereby drawing it's attention) to return inside.

- She asked the bear multiple questions, as if she were going to receive answers.

- She repeatedly pleaded with the bear to stop, as if it would respond to something like "please"

- She video recorded the encounter.

- She posted the video of the encounter somewhere, so that everyone could potentially she what an idiot she was.

Last edited by CyBerkut; 10/05/15 06:46 PM. Reason: typo
#4177763 - 10/05/15 06:56 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: CG2015]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

I can only repeat it-

If talking to the bear is the issue, 'as if the bear was supposed to have a conversation with her', that's not what I'm saying. There's no proof you have from the video that's what she's expecting. It can't be inferred that she expects the bear to respond to her in English.

In fact, if I see anyone ever talking to their pets, I'll assume that they're dumb. Pets don't understand English, and pet owners tend to believe they do ( I even see people talk to their fish at feedings). Talk to their dog or cat- that's dumb. The pet owner is dumb. Dogs don't understand most people's words so much as they understand their tones and body language. I saw this for myself when I used to change up my commands with nonsensical words but using the same tone of voice and body language, and the dogs more or less respond the same way. It didn't so much matter what I said but how I said it, and if they were trained correctly, it's more my intent that they're reading rather than the words I said to them.

That's what I'm saying, since I get the first objections raised that she was talking to the bear, as if the bear understands English. That's not so much the point- you could say nonsensical words and phrases to animals, and they still get your intent if you do it the right way consistently.

But talking to animals does two things- it can be a confidence builder for the human, and if the animal reads that confidence, it may consider that. That's what I'm saying- calling that dumb because the bear doesn't understand English isn't at all the point (again, would pet owners who talk to their pets- for I've never met a pet owner who didn't- consider what they're doing in this light)?

#4177776 - 10/05/15 07:27 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: CG2015]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

A lot of communication is non-verbal, or a lot of it takes place with the words not being as important as the way they're being said.

That's why I talk about the way to attract women- why it's so easy to put a perception in their minds about you without saying much.

That's why I talk about the manipulative nature of films or signs and symbols, and persuasive rhetoric, that's why I discuss communication for its own sake that it probably bores all of you to death.

But it makes sense- someone approaches you and speaks a language to you that you don't know, they'll use tone of voice or body language to help you out- they communicate fear or interest or anger or that they are distressed and need your assistance.

Likewise, seduce a woman with as soft, suggestive voice, or say the exact same thing in a loud voice with jittery body language, and the effect is totally different. You don't have to necessarily know every word, there's a lot more to communication than the words themselves. First impressions are built upon that, and as they say, first impressions tell people an awful lot.

#4177778 - 10/05/15 07:36 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: Mechanus]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: Mechanus
A lot of communication is non-verbal, or a lot of it takes place with the words not being as important as the way they're being said.

TBH, I do think she was operating with the mindset that if she makes a big enough racket, the bear will run off. Clearly that didn't work for her.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

#4177780 - 10/05/15 07:38 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: Jayhawk]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
Just out of curiosity, a question for those who have had been face to face with a Grizzly: what did you do in that situation?

I'm no expert, but I believe you back away casually and avoid eye contact.

#4177786 - 10/05/15 07:45 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: Vertigo1]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Originally Posted By: Vertigo1

TBH, I do think she was operating with the mindset that if she makes a big enough racket, the bear will run off. Clearly that didn't work for her.

I think so as well- and that can happen. There's a video that went viral recently of a large grizzly resting under a guy's wooden porch, and by jumping up and down on the porch, that finally unnerved the stubborn bear and got rid of it.

Bears probably don't like too much commotion drawing attention to them- they're solitary, they don't necessarily want to draw the attention of other bears to the area and bring possible conflict.

#4177788 - 10/05/15 07:51 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: Vertigo1]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Originally Posted By: Vertigo1

I'm no expert, but I believe you back away casually and avoid eye contact.

You have to read the context correctly.

Is it a black bear or grizzly, they may operate differently.

If the bear just wants you out of the territory, and if it's not too close, then that may be the ticket. But if it keeps coming close and is pursuing, it might intend to make a meal out of the human- then at that point backing up won't work, playing dead invites attack. If you determine that it wants chow, then your best option to survive is to fight with every means at your disposal. Black bears, although much smaller, can be more dangerous in this regard- they may be more likely to hunt humans for food depending on the season and how hungry they are.

#4177791 - 10/05/15 07:57 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: CG2015]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Here we are

#4177792 - 10/05/15 08:00 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: CG2015]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Or pretend to be a cat:

smile

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4177794 - 10/05/15 08:01 PM Re: Bear 1. Dumb Human Female 0. [Re: CG2015]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
I'm just here to say I'm amazed this went on for 6 pages.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.