Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
#4118086 - 05/08/15 11:00 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Traveling_In_Mufti]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
[/quote]

(Hauksbee here) Getting back to my skinning problem, I believe the above quote holds, and I need a re-install. It worked when (for reasons unknown) I lost all the Albatros skins. On that occasion, I simply bought another copy of WOFF. Fool that I was, I did not make a back-up copy. Now I need one. I find on the WOFF Home Page that a Duplicate copy can be got for a $5.00 charge. But I don't see anything clickable to make this happen. Could someone point me in the right direction? [/quote]

"NOTE : If you lose the file and wish a new download link to be generated we will require an admin fee of $5 per item. So please back it up! to save us time and you money!"

That's from the WOFF website
If you have the email they sent you for downloading,or a proof of your acquired copy of WOFF try to ask for a new download link it's that easy,and probably contacting Polowski will smooth things out ;-)
Also You did not even replied to my mail where I showed you that your skins worked fine on my WOFF,and asked about your WOFF version to try to understand what your problem could be,sometimes I feel that helping people out it's a waste of time.

" In vino veritas "
#4118329 - 05/09/15 04:20 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Cavaliere57]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Cavaliere57
[/quote]
Also You did not even replied to my mail where I showed you that your skins worked fine on my WOFF,and asked about your WOFF version to try to understand what your problem could be,sometimes I feel that helping people out it's a waste of time.

Cavaliere57: Please, accept my apologies. I did reply. First, you sent me five e-mails over a few days, some in response to my questions. The two most important were (1) you explained in detail that I had tried to put a D.V skin on a D.III, and that I had made serious mistakes in naming the file. Shortly after, you sent (2) an e-mail with 2.jpegs, one showing the skin on the wrong plane, and one on the right plane. Also you attached a copy (.dds) of my skin, properly named. I've had a lot on my plate in the last days here, and it took me a few days to get some quiet time to sit down with WOFF. First, I took the .dds copy you sent and dropped it in the Skins Folder. It does not show up in QC. I then re-opened the original file, made a few miniscule changes and saved out, being very careful to name properly according to your example. I did the same with a Dr.1 skin. Neither show up. At this point, I'm sure that my mistakes, bad as they might be, are not at the root of the problem. Both you and Rick Rawlings got the skins to work.

It was at this point that I e-mailed you back and attached the D.III and Dr.1 skins, asking you to test them for me. If you could drop them in your Skins Folder and have them work, that would be proof positive that I need a re-install. Somehow, regrettably, that e-mail has not gotten to you.

I understand you would be miffed at silence from my end, but it was accidental. Again, I apologize. I very much appreciate the help that you and Rick have given me.

Last edited by Hauksbee; 05/09/15 04:22 PM.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4118330 - 05/09/15 04:26 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Yeah, sounds like a re-install is the best bet. That will give us a good clean slate to work with, if nothing else. I know it's a pain, but it will be good to see you get those lovely skins in the air!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4118401 - 05/09/15 08:57 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Hauksbee]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Quote:

It was at this point that I e-mailed you back and attached the D.III and Dr.1 skins, asking you to test them for me. If you could drop them in your Skins Folder and have them work, that would be proof positive that I need a re-install. Somehow, regrettably, that e-mail has not gotten to you.

I understand you would be miffed at silence from my end, but it was accidental. Again, I apologize. I very much appreciate the help that you and Rick have given me.

Robert I sent you back screenshots with the DIII and DR1 skins perfectly working on my WOFF,I suppose that mail got missed somewhere? Anyway here they are:

" In vino veritas "
#4118453 - 05/09/15 11:41 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Thank you, Peter. The only thing I can think of is that it got sucked up in the SPAM filter. Since my ISP only saves 18-20 entries on a single page, there's no way to go back and look for it. Anyway, now I know that neither the skins nor the naming are at fault. I can get on with doing a re-install. Once again, I appreciate your help.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4118568 - 05/10/15 11:47 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Hauksbee]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Originally Posted By: Hauksbee
Thank you, Peter. The only thing I can think of is that it got sucked up in the SPAM filter. Since my ISP only saves 18-20 entries on a single page, there's no way to go back and look for it. Anyway, now I know that neither the skins nor the naming are at fault. I can get on with doing a re-install. Once again, I appreciate your help.

Yes I suppose you will have to do a clean reinstall,I don't see any other way to overcome this problem of yours.
Save your skins somewhere so you'll be able to reuse them later on.

" In vino veritas "
#4124956 - 05/26/15 10:26 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Rick asked me to explain a couple of things after i published my Camel skin,in the screenshot thread,here we go.
I use Photoshop CS6 64bit,but it applies with most all versions of Photoshop,except probably those prior to the CS series but only because something has changed in the Tools menu,basically they relocated something here and there.
*Part One*

Here is the basic Camel skin from wich to start

starting from the background layer (the only one present at this point)select the upper wings and elevator surfaces

now with Ctrl-V copy the selection,and then Ctrl-C to paste it as a new layer,rename it as you wish,I use parts names

as you can see we have a new layer with only upper wings/elevator surfaces ( I have disabled the background layer to have a better view of it)

with the new layer active,from Selection menu,reselect again

from the Image menu,select the Substitute Color Tool

from the Substitute Color mask,clicking on the upper thumbnail,activate the color picker

point it to the brown on the wing

you now have a working color selection to work from,move the slider to the right to catch all the brown hues

now moving the lower sliders,get the color you aim for,desaturate always a bit and do not brighten too much,instead go for darker shades

now go again and select the lower wing/elevator surfaces,on a new layer, and chenge their color as well

we now have Green wings and light azure lower surfaces

" In vino veritas "
#4124993 - 05/26/15 11:58 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
*Part Two*
From the Background layer,using the Lasso Tool instead of the previous Rectangular Selection Tool,select the lower fuselage section,as always Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V to paste as a new layer,name it and go changin' the color again,but this time keep active the lower wings layer,so to match colors

repeat the process with the rudders

we now have a Camel with green body/wings and azure lower surfaces,and five more layers thumbsup

starting always from Background layer,select (wit Round Selection Tool) the wheel,and repeat all the process

Now select with Rectangul selection Tool,the engine cowling,copy and paste as new layer,rename it,and create stripes like these,with the Rectangular selection tool,and color them as the fuselage

et voila,our Camel is nearly ready to go

Let's add an emblem and some text

save as .dds directly from Photoshop

and here we are!!

Last edited by Cavaliere57; 05/26/15 12:11 PM.

" In vino veritas "
#4127191 - 05/31/15 09:56 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
Does anyone know how to get a skin to work for an aircraft that does not already have ace skins? I want to do one for my 'new' Aviatik BI.

#4127210 - 05/31/15 10:59 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Maeran]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Originally Posted By: Maeran
Does anyone know how to get a skin to work for an aircraft that does not already have ace skins? I want to do one for my 'new' Aviatik BI.

Yes,it's in the naming of the file,this Camel for example was taken from the Squadron pool,no ace name,so the naming must be like this Off_Camel_ace_t_RNAS 8 1917_name_surname.dds
of course plane type,squadron and pilot name,can be of your choice,but you have to specify name_surname otherwise it will not work.This is for WOFF,in OFF was simpler than this, you could put whatever you liked in pilot's name.

" In vino veritas "
#4127220 - 05/31/15 11:33 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
Thank you Cavalier57, it was the 'Off' part from the beginning of the name that I was missing. It works now!

#4127314 - 06/01/15 10:28 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Maeran]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Originally Posted By: Maeran
Thank you Cavalier57, it was the 'Off' part from the beginning of the name that I was missing. It works now!

thumbsup

" In vino veritas "
#4172861 - 09/24/15 03:06 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Okay, I've tried to make a Tutorial about Layers and Transparency for the Gimp. I hope, that I managed to make it understandable for those, who are relatively new to the Gimp as well (that was my focus)

#4172891 - 09/24/15 03:53 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Neat, thanks.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4173114 - 09/25/15 03:17 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

That's fantastic, when I'm not on my kindle, I will edit it into the first post, thanks!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4173183 - 09/25/15 01:25 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Relieving smile
It is somewhat complicated: You want to explain something to someone, whom you don't see, and have no Idea, if anyone exept yourself understands, what you are saying mycomputer
...reminds me of this old Cartoonist-Joke:

How to draw an Owl:
Step 1: Draw some Circles - Step 2: Draw the rest of the f...... Owl

#4173775 - 09/26/15 09:25 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Edited you in, thanks Nietzsche!

#4177002 - 10/03/15 05:52 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Gents, I have not followed or even studied this thread, but I would like to contribute
something here for all the new "skinners".
I have researched the German Lozenge camouflage a bit (mostly at THE AERODROME website).
I also saw Lozenge fabric on a Halberstadt tailplane in the BERLINER TECHNIKMUSEUM, and took a photo.

From what I have found, I have then made 5-colour and 4-colour Lozenge fabric for both, upper and lower surfaces.
Lozenge camo was screen-printed on endless panels of canvas with a width of ca. 4.5 feet (if I remember that correct).

My 'panels' here are layed out horizontally, but on an aircaft wing they were used "vertically", or better: in flight-direction.
Everyone can copy and use my Lozenge camo for their own skins - enjoy the skinning!

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4177021 - 10/03/15 06:48 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Nicely done , sir! I will edit this into the main post when I get a chance!

#4177044 - 10/03/15 08:02 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Yes, sure, Rick - my pleasure!

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.