Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4176656 - 10/02/15 07:44 PM For the Backers  
Moses Offline
I have a Rather Large
Moses  Offline
I have a Rather Large

Tulsa, Ok, USA

Jeff "Moses" Malone
Proud Member of 195th Dambusters Virtual Squadron.
http://561stbms.enjin.com/
#4176675 - 10/02/15 08:27 PM Re: For the Backers [Re: Moses]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
$90 million is a scary figure.Look what E:D has done with a fraction of that.

I'm glad I didn't buy into SC.That's not to say I wouldn't purchase it in the future,I just need to see that there is an actual game in there,somewhere.

I watched this earlier this evening...

Last edited by Chucky; 10/02/15 08:29 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4176688 - 10/02/15 09:04 PM Re: For the Backers [Re: Moses]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

You honestly can't pick any truth from that article. Its sensational writing with nothing confirmed by the protagonists. the article is shoddy in itself as there is no actin taken from the reporting body to substantiate these claims aside from posing a few q's to Chris Roberts.

However, saying that, what I have seen presented to me as a backer (in the form of released content/letters to the chairman/dev diaries/conceptual posts etc.) is bugger all.

I am getting the same feeling here with star citizen as I did with fighter-ops. The only difference here is, I never put any money into fighter-ops

As a backer, I am regretting my decision to back for several reasons with the most predominant being no real tangible presentation aside from some very poor modules which are extremely limited in scope.

Now that's not to say that the game won't complete, and by the same token it may be grandeur by scale. But a competitor has jumped out of the gate with the largest payable area ever in a space game for a fraction of the price. For what star citizen has shown, I have found to be a buggy (expected in early dev) and poorly fleshed out, leaving nothing really that is wetting my whistle except for the concept I have of a game that is in my head.

My spidery senses are not tingling, I am awash with convulsive shocks of impending danger.

If I had the option to ask for a return of my pledge money, I would do it first thing tomorrow.

But that is my sentiments only.

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 10/02/15 09:08 PM.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#4176708 - 10/02/15 09:47 PM Re: For the Backers [Re: Moses]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
The Escapist magazine appears to have jumped on board the Derek Smart bandwagon... which ought to tell people plenty.

I don't worry about CIG completing the game.

I do have concerns about how they are dealing, or not dealing, with the space flight/combat controls. To my way of thinking, that should have been sorted out satisfactorily, a long time ago. For now, I just have to keep watching and waiting. I haven't put an additional dime into the game since late 2013.

#4176714 - 10/02/15 09:55 PM Re: For the Backers [Re: Moses]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Im not worried about CIG. What they have given me to play with is proof they are working and have a working game. They are saving a lot of it behind closed door because they want the SP to be fresh.

With that said I wouldnt get a refund but Im not putting any more money into the game. I have faith they will deliver though.

#4176716 - 10/02/15 10:00 PM Re: For the Backers [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: bogusheadbox
If I had the option to ask for a return of my pledge money, I would do it first thing tomorrow.

But that is my sentiments only.

Mine is on the way, but hasn't shown on paypal yet. I was polite and asked for a refund the other day. They agreed.
They said it would go out in 5-10 days on paypal.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4176806 - 10/03/15 02:49 AM Re: For the Backers [Re: Moses]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Got a refund for my Freelancer upgrade. Keeping my starter backing ($35??) though.

If they deliver I may throw some more money this way, but as far as I am concerned they are not showing enough progress considering the funding they have received.

my .02

smile

#4176838 - 10/03/15 05:26 AM Re: For the Backers [Re: Moses]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Moses and Chucky, thanks for posting those links and videos. I was set to melt and invest in the Endeavor, but after reading and watching all, I too now have pause about investing more.

At this point, I have a fair investment and would be a bit crushed if they did not follow through. I think the mission creep has set in and they are indeed trying to put too much our there at once, rather than do as ED is doing with a module release after tweaking their current engine. I would feel much more confident if they released stuff, at least in a beta format, knowing bugs will exist. I just want to use some of my assets for something aside from dog fighting. I want to explore and plunder or even rescue someone in deep space that's suffered some sort of equipment failure...I want to see progress beyond what's been available for almost a year.

Anyway, looks like I'll pass on the Endeavor for now. I don't want to contribute to his mortgage payment till he's given us more substance.

Also, please let us know how the refunds went. To me, that's a bit of a tell regarding their truer intentions and integrity. I've always liked much of what was produced before and I have faith, but it's waning.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#4176841 - 10/03/15 06:00 AM Re: For the Backers [Re: Moses]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
My refund already went through. They paid via paypal. Was pretty quick and the customer service guy I dealt with was very good.

The process actually gave me some faith and keeps the door open for me to lay down some $$'s in the future.

#4176847 - 10/03/15 07:06 AM Re: For the Backers [Re: Moses]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
I asked nicely for a refund on my $45 package 4 days ago, but no one has replied and no status change on my ticket yet.

Fingers crossed.

BTW The Escapist posted an update on the sources for that article:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles...tting-and-Respo

I think the part that worries me the most is if it's true that they spent $82M of the $90M funds.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4176870 - 10/03/15 10:14 AM Re: For the Backers [Re: Moses]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Never contributed 1 cent to Star Citizen. Right from the start, I thought Roberts was hustling for money without any idea of the effort he needed to deliver on the actual product that was promised.

Just grab as much cash as you can right now and worry later about feasibility.

Still, he managed to press the right buttons in a lot of backers and I find the mindset of the funding crowd to be as interesting as Roberts' self-delusions. There are actually people out there willing to hang out their wallets for some serious cash to some guy promising them the moon.

This guy might just turn out to be the Bernard Madoff of the computer gaming industry.

I know a few of you here had been critical of the way Elite is being funded in terms of modules. Personally I don't care to defend any game developer but comparatively it would appear Elite is not suffering a PR crisis for asking more money because unlike Roberts, the Elite outfit is not a castle built on air.

You can only ride the PR machine for so long. You take public funds,...... especially if the amount is large..., and pretty soon you are expected to cough out some tangible results to justify the money you took. No amount of PR spin is going to sell without tangible and commensurate results.

Hope I'm wrong about all this.

#4177050 - 10/03/15 08:16 PM Re: For the Backers [Re: Moses]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

It's one week until citizen con where they plan to have a few big reveals. Lets all just wait with the pitchforks and torches until after then. smile

#4177059 - 10/03/15 09:01 PM Re: For the Backers [Re: kludger]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: kludger
I asked nicely for a refund on my $45 package 4 days ago, but no one has replied and no status change on my ticket yet.

Fingers crossed.

BTW The Escapist posted an update on the sources for that article:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles...tting-and-Respo

I think the part that worries me the most is if it's true that they spent $82M of the $90M funds.

Haven't gotten my refund yet, but I'm going to be patient. For a while.

I don't think CR is a con man or anything, I just think he let things go to his head and now it's going to be incredibly difficult to deliver.
I've just lost interest.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4177124 - 10/04/15 01:43 AM Re: For the Backers [Re: Moses]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
I backed it, the feature creep has worried me, but to be honest I think that at worse we'll end up with a scaled down project, ie a Freelancer 2, which wouldn't be bad considering how long I played Freelancer (despite hating the mouse control scheme). I've backed quite a few crowdfunded projects, and delays, even long ones, have not been what made or broke them (in fact most KS projects have had substantial delays, yet some of them are gems which I rank above AAA productions)>

The Escapist piece is appalling because of its lack of professionalism. You don't cite "anonymous sources" when just copying and pasting quotes from the totally uncontrolled website glassdoors, especially while the Derek Smart controversy is on - same thing here, if you prefer to listen to Derek Smart (someone with the most appalling track record regarding space games, a shameless cyberbully, and someone who bought a PhD from a degree mill) than Chris Roberts, you might as well listen to any sort of conspiracy theory out there. What annoys me is the revelation that a big crowdfunding project might be highly vulnerable to damage caused by rumours - there might be millions of dollars lost there just due to image damage caused by pure rumours - and they are that, DS had yet to show any of his evidence, and some of the stuff he said has been proven wrong (eg he claimed that FTC was investigating, which was later proven wrong).

#4177126 - 10/04/15 01:53 AM Re: For the Backers [Re: Moses]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Then there is this (Lengthy Rant About Star Citizen):

He makes some interesting points, in part from the perspective of a former software programmer / manager.

#4177162 - 10/04/15 03:20 AM Re: For the Backers [Re: Moses]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
Not overly concerned at this point, I'm taking all this with a grain of salt. I am looking forward to what's going to be revealed at CitizenCon though.

That's very cool that they're refunding you guys, but I haven't gotten to that point.

------------
<Uh... put signature here... and stuff>
#4177175 - 10/04/15 05:16 AM Re: For the Backers [Re: Moses]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I watched the video but that guy is attacking the game based on the article. He keeps reading quotes from the article and referring to them like they are fact. They are anonymous unsubstantiated rumors for the most part not fact.

Im not saying any of that ISNT true because I dont know personally but when you make a 1hr30 video about a snuff article and you are basically validating the article something is wrong.

#4177180 - 10/04/15 06:22 AM Re: For the Backers [Re: Master]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: Master
I watched the video but that guy is attacking the game based on the article. He keeps reading quotes from the article and referring to them like they are fact. They are anonymous unsubstantiated rumors for the most part not fact.

Im not saying any of that ISNT true because I dont know personally but when you make a 1hr30 video about a snuff article and you are basically validating the article something is wrong.

He questioned the validity of those quotes himself. He made a rather large point of it in more than one place. He wasn't buying them all hook, line and sinker. I think his more salient points were in reference to the state of the game itself, and that Robert's own words in the Chairman's Response sometimes undermined his (Robert's) own cause.

I don't know how much, if any, of the allegations are true. I haven't been overly concerned about delayed delivery, etc.. As I have said before, my biggest concern has been the abysmal situation with the controls for space flight.

Hopefully, CIG puts it all together and has a big success.

#4177189 - 10/04/15 06:51 AM Re: For the Backers [Re: Master]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: Master
It's one week until citizen con where they plan to have a few big reveals.

"citizen con" ??

If the presentation falls short, those words are going to take on a whole new perspective LOL

#4177273 - 10/04/15 04:42 PM Re: For the Backers [Re: Moses]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.