Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4171759 - 09/22/15 01:25 AM I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ...  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
New guys (I call them that but they might be experienced ArmA players!) have other ArmA 3 mods installed with the EXACT same folder names as what’s included in the SimHQ mod addon! CONFLICT!!!

What does it take to get a “SimHQ_” tacked onto the front of the SimHQ mod folder names around here?!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4171763 - 09/22/15 01:39 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: Linebacker]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Right-click, Rename. Re-upload.

|My Books | Home Page | http://562.combatace.com/ |
- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#4171766 - 09/22/15 01:49 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: EricJ]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Exactly! smile

#4171774 - 09/22/15 02:17 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: Linebacker]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
While I'm at it, the TFAR implementation here at SimHQ is really lackluster and nonintuitive.

#4171777 - 09/22/15 02:27 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: Linebacker]  
near_blind Offline
near_blind  Offline

Originally Posted By: Linebacker
While I'm at it, the TFAR implementation here at SimHQ is really lackluster and nonintuitive.

care to elaborate?

Off to greener pastures
#4171780 - 09/22/15 02:31 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: near_blind]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Random channel frequency settings.

Do we even have long range comms to our air assets working yet?

#4171783 - 09/22/15 02:39 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: Linebacker]  
near_blind Offline
near_blind  Offline

Care to elaborate?

It's been a bit since I've made a session, but last time I checked in everything but the warm up mission both radios were preprogrammed upon mission init, and the short ranged set were set on a fireteam basis.

Communication between air and ground assets has always worked provided that both sides have a compatible radio. It's up to the pilot and whomever wants to talk to him to get on the same freq.

Off to greener pastures
#4171785 - 09/22/15 02:45 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: near_blind]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Originally Posted By: near_blind

Care to elaborate?

It's been a bit since I've made a session, but last time I checked in everything but the warm up mission both radios were preprogrammed upon mission init, and the short ranged set were set on a fireteam basis.

Communication between air and ground assets has always worked provided that both sides have a compatible radio. It's up to the pilot and whomever wants to talk to him to get on the same freq.

Ya, no, that ain't hapnin'

#4171789 - 09/22/15 02:50 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: Linebacker]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Forget the radios near_blind.

The SimHQ mod pack itself isn't working for most new users. Lets focus on that.

#4171793 - 09/22/15 03:03 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: Linebacker]  
near_blind Offline
near_blind  Offline

What part of it isn't working? In what way is it not working? Conceptually? Technically? Spiritually?

Off to greener pastures
#4171796 - 09/22/15 03:06 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: near_blind]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ

What part of it isn't working? In what way is it not working? Conceptually? Technically? Spiritually?

New guys (I call them that but they might be experienced ArmA players!) have other ArmA 3 mods installed with the EXACT same folder names as what’s included in the SimHQ mod addon! CONFLICT!!!

What does it take to get a “SimHQ_” tacked onto the front of the SimHQ mod folder names around here?!

#4171799 - 09/22/15 03:11 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: Linebacker]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD

When I was in J-SERE last year that drove me up the wall to get working. What you do is take the userconfig folder and put it in the main Arma 3 directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Arma3 directory, it initially won't be there, just create a new folder "userconfig" and put the "task_force_radio" folder in there.

Then put the TS plugin .dlls in the TS3 plugins folder

Put the mod folder @Task Force Arrowhead Radio

Open TS3, enable the plugin, then start the game, go online on a server, equip a radio, and key it, and check 3D audio, and there you go.

- 'Nearly everyone felt the need to express their views on all wars to me, starting with mine. I found myself thinking, “I ate the crap sandwich, you didn’t, so please don’t tell me how it tastes.”' - CPT Cole, US Army
- "...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers
#4171805 - 09/22/15 03:22 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: EricJ]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Thanks EricJ. thumbsup

#4171811 - 09/22/15 03:41 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: Linebacker]  
DeadMeat Offline
Professional Meat Shield
DeadMeat  Offline
Professional Meat Shield

Kentucky
I had to reinstall everything about a week ago and had no problems. I re downloaded the mod, set them all up and was playing on the server in no time. I don't think it's an issue with the mod pack.

I've come to realize that many adults act more childish than most children.

#4171815 - 09/22/15 03:52 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: Linebacker]  
EricJ Offline
Me, just me.
EricJ  Offline
Me, just me.

Baltimore, MD
Thanks EricJ. thumbsup

No problem man wink

#4171818 - 09/22/15 03:53 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: Linebacker]  
near_blind Offline
near_blind  Offline

1) Unpack the modpack using your compression library of choice in a place that is not your Arma 3 install.
2) Right-click the folder you want to rename and select rename from the right-click menu.
3) The entire folder name will be highlighted, click in front of the folder name, but after the @ sign to de-highlight the name.
4) Type SimHQ_.
5) Hit enter on the keyboard.
6) Repeat steps 2-5 as needed for each folder.
7) Copy the the folders into your Arma 3 install.

Sarcasm aside, it's not unreasonable to expect a player that runs multiple modpacks to be able to self manage versioning conflicts between them.

Off to greener pastures
#4171826 - 09/22/15 04:29 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: near_blind]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ

1) Unpack the modpack using your compression library of choice in a place that is not your Arma 3 install.
2) Right-click the folder you want to rename and select rename from the right-click menu.
3) The entire folder name will be highlighted, click in front of the folder name, but after the @ sign to de-highlight the name.
4) Type SimHQ_.
5) Hit enter on the keyboard.
6) Repeat steps 2-5 as needed for each folder.
7) Copy the the folders into your Arma 3 install.

Sarcasm aside, it's not unreasonable to expect a player that runs multiple modpacks to be able to self manage versioning conflicts between them.

Really?

#4171838 - 09/22/15 07:27 AM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: Linebacker]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
The radios auto-sync IF YOU HAVE A TEAM LEADER IN YOUR GROUP. If you dont then the freqs will be out of sync. Trust me when i say this, a LOT of time was spent trying to make it work 100% of the time, team leader or not, but we havnt been able to do it. It annoys me as well, but in fairness, it only takes all of 20-30 secs to change a freq on the radios smile

As for the prefix, i do see your point and it has been noted for the future (and i was thinking about the same thing last week anyway!)

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4171968 - 09/22/15 01:23 PM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: Linebacker]  
Fridge Offline
Fridge  Offline

Fredericton, NB, Canada
Radios: It's not rocket science to write down the frequencies and enter them? Not trying to be sarcastic or anti-Linebacker here but that's what I have been doing since TFAR was introduced and it works every time.

And near_blinds steps work.

Fridge
----------
Things which do you no good in aviation:
1) Altitude above you;
2) Runway behind you;
3) Fuel in the truck;
4) The airspeed you don't have.
#4171982 - 09/22/15 02:00 PM Re: I’m really getting tired of new guys not being able to join here ... [Re: Fridge]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: Fridge
Radios: It's not rocket science to write down the frequencies and enter them? Not trying to be sarcastic or anti-Linebacker here but that's what I have been doing since TFAR was introduced and it works every time.

And near_blinds steps work.

It's not rocket science, no, but it is a barrier to entry. It's one thing to make a game difficult to play, it's another to make it difficult to play the game, if you get my meaning.

I don't see the illogic in suggesting that if SimHQ is going to customize and use a popular, nonexclusive mod the names should be altered to reflect that so that people who choose to play MP elsewhere don't run into "well you have a Chernarus but not this Chernarus" issues.

I think SimHQ's Arma is having an identity crisis. Where does it lie? We're not as hardcore as Shacktac or some others, so people who want that experience are turned off by our more relaxed style. Yet we're not as open and easy as some other places, so people who have the game alone come in and find they need several GB of mods plus a TS3 mod that must be properly enabled just to connect.

This is the root of our attendance problems, I think. Personally I've been having scheduling issues lately that have kept me away, I could've shown up around 15 mins late last night, but I didn't bother because I knew the mission had likely already started and it could be an hour till it ended and people came back to the TS3 channel to even tell me what was going on. Yet I think for many people it's not the starting time as much as SimHQ has become a niche within a niche--heavily modded to a specific point yet very casual in other ways with such a small regular attendance that it limits the types of missions we can do (since you don't need to lose too many guys out of 9 to make a mission unwinnable).

I'm not going to pretend to have the answer, but I think it apparent that our current direction is seeing attendance continue to dwindle and not increase, so something has to change--and by that I don't mean "add mod X".

We're balancing on a knife's edge and we have to choose which way to go.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.