Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4169736 - 09/16/15 05:10 PM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
I would love to dump MS but unfortunately it seems to be a MS world.

#4169929 - 09/17/15 01:53 AM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: Panama Red]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Well, well, well... Here I am at home, and darned if I don't have a 6 GB, hidden, read-only folder named $Windows~.BT. I'm down to 10 GB on my static drive with this.

Looks like it's time to do some housecleaning! Criminee, you wonder why your connection's creeping and some idiot is cramming 6 GB of data through it!

THANKS AGAIN to you gents for the links to clean this stupidity off my machine!

(& Thanks for the +1, RW!)

(My joke when I run across something like this is that I'm ready to drive to Redmond & come down on the responsible party's desk with a full swing of my six-pound maul. But is Big Brother watching? Will I be on a watch list? OK, THIS IS NOT A THREAT: IT'S A JOKE! Sheeesh.)

ETA: It's gone, I have some breathing room again. Boy, the nerve of some mega-corporations....

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4169992 - 09/17/15 08:56 AM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: Panama Red]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
On any Windows machine,"the trick" is to turn off Automatic Updates,that's the FIRST thing to do as soon as you install a fresh OS,and before you put it online! From ages.... thumbsup
God burn Spyosoft!

" In vino veritas "
#4170017 - 09/17/15 11:58 AM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: Panama Red]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Yeah, mine are off. I only get notified if they are available. Now that's one more pain in the pahooty - I have to vet all the updates first.

But the first linked article said to not install the KB3075249 and KB3080149 updates; well, they apparently downloaded & installed when I accepted the opportunity to have the upgrade at some point in the future, before I knew about all this.

So I uninstalled those two last night. They re-installed themselves! I un-installed them again, and went to bed. I'll have to see if they come back again tonight. I may have to go the full route outlined in the second link.

I'm wondering if I could get into M$ banking accounts and transfer $10 billion or so to my account - I'm not taking it, I'm just transferring it in case I need to take it... and keeping watch on what all they are doing with their finances in the meanwhile.

(Ok, maybe a poor analogy, but I could use a billion or two for retirement! Like a congressman chided his pork-barrel cohorts once - "C'mon guys! A billion here, a billion there - pretty soon we're talking real money!)

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
#4170021 - 09/17/15 12:06 PM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: HumanDrone]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: HumanDrone
Yeah, mine are off. I only get notified if they are available. Now that's one more pain in the pahooty - I have to vet all the updates first.

But the first linked article said to not install the KB3075249 and KB3080149 updates; well, they apparently downloaded & installed when I accepted the opportunity to have the upgrade at some point in the future, before I knew about all this.

So I uninstalled those two last night. They re-installed themselves! I un-installed them again, and went to bed. I'll have to see if they come back again tonight. I may have to go the full route outlined in the second link.

I'm wondering if I could get into M$ banking accounts and transfer $10 billion or so to my account - I'm not taking it, I'm just transferring it in case I need to take it... and keeping watch on what all they are doing with their finances in the meanwhile.

(Ok, maybe a poor analogy, but I could use a billion or two for retirement! Like a congressman chided his pork-barrel cohorts once - "C'mon guys! A billion here, a billion there - pretty soon we're talking real money!)

HumanDrone, after you uninstall those updates, they will show up again so make sure you "Hide" them. Do you know how to do that?

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4170069 - 09/17/15 01:43 PM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: DukeIronHand]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
Seems like they have been awful bold lately. Clearly the lack of competition in the OS market has driven them mad.

Or you could see it as a sign of desperation and that MS recognises that Linux/Apple may become a real threat in the future. If Valve manage to pull off their Steambox and game devs follow we may see more people considering another OS than Windows - time will tell!

Another thing is the millions of kids hacking (not only kids btw) around with Raspberry Pi and other Linux systems. It's easy to guess what OS many of them gonna use/recommend when they start to work. MS noticed this after the success was a fact and recently released their own OS for Raspberry Pi - inferior to Linux IMHO.

Windows 10 is better than their 8.x disaster because MS noticed that people don't jump as soon as MS says jump any more. Personally I stay with Windows 7 until I see any real benefits to upgrade and the sims I play support DX12...

After the 8.x distaster head started to roll at their headquarter - even if the official versions is different - and are now quite humbled and realise they need to listen to the customers more as well as embrace Open Source.

Edit: Forgot to say that Linux have long way to go when it comes to driver support where MS have done an excellent job in that department.

/KC

Last edited by KeyCat; 09/18/15 10:34 AM.

>> It's all about teamwork! <<
#4170134 - 09/17/15 03:50 PM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

HumanDrone, after you uninstall those updates, they will show up again so make sure you "Hide" them. Do you know how to do that?

Yessir, I do. Thanks! (I dumped the 6 MB installation files as well).

#4170155 - 09/17/15 04:46 PM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: KeyCat]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Originally Posted By: KeyCat
Seems like they have been awful bold lately. Clearly the lack of competition in the OS market has driven them mad.

Or you could see it as a sign of desperation and that MS recognises that Linux/Apple may become a real threat in the future. If Valve manage to pull off their Steambox and game devs follow we may see more people considering another OS than Windows - time will tell!

Another thing is the millions of kids hacking (not only kids btw) around with Raspberry Pi and other Linux systems. It's easy to guess what OS many of them gonna use/recommend when they start to work. MS noticed this after the success was a fact and recently released their own OS for Raspberry Pi - inferior to Linux IMHO.

Windows 10 is better than their 8.x disaster because MS noticed that people don't jump as soon as MS says jump any more. Personally I stay with Windows 7 until I see any real benefits to upgrade and the sims I play support DX12...

After the 8.x distaster head started to roll at their headquarter - even if the official versions is different - and are now quite humbled and realise they need to listen to the customers more as well as embrace Open Source.

Edit: Forgott to say that Linux have long way to go when it comes to driver support where MS have done an excellent job in that department.

/KC

Well OS disaters are the normality in Microsoft's history yep What they could not steal,they grabbed in other ways,they've been always in the back rows of the OS race to the future.

" In vino veritas "
#4170162 - 09/17/15 05:02 PM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: Panama Red]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
But, unfortunately, in the front rows of adoption by business & acadamia, & hence consumers...

#4170166 - 09/17/15 05:10 PM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: Panama Red]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Good marketing is the key to their success.

I've often wondered just how much money both governmental and private organizations could save if they didn't always choose MS products to meet their needs. But they always do, or at least every organization here that I'm familiar with does. They really do have a monopoly in this field.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4170195 - 09/17/15 07:07 PM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: Panama Red]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Yeah, I've gone on before here about how M$ Word replaced WordPerfect (now sold by Corel) as the de facto word processor - depsite the clear (and continued) superiority of WordPerfect. Back in the day, they wouldn't sell out to Bill, so he undercut then in the market and won anyway. I hate WOrd as much for that as it's inherent clumsiness & aggravating behavior.

A new revolution needs to take place, but I'll be danged if I know how it will happen. Some guy in his garage isn't going to write a replacement for the big 3 (Apple's iOS, Vinders, & Android).

#4170212 - 09/17/15 07:54 PM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
The revolution will happen when hardware and software stop being designed to operate in a MS enviorment.
I don't see that happening anytime soon...not in my lifetime.
Guess I can't blame the third party companies...too much - they are in it to make money.
MS compliance/compatability = sales of your product = profit and money.

#4170335 - 09/18/15 01:49 AM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: Panama Red]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Not always. As Cavy57 & I have pointed out, Microsoft also has the power to ruin your company just because they don't want you in the market. It's a shame that a superior product can be undercut in pricing just because the company marketing the inferior product has enough revenue from other sources to starve you out.

Money runs everything, and yes, sound business financial practice is important. But brutalizing your competition just because you're the 800 lb. gorilla isn't fair. We think we've overthrown the kings, and live in a democracy? There is a royal class in America, we just don't see it. soapbox

#4170383 - 09/18/15 10:49 AM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Money is King.
Wish I had more I would bankroll OBD.
After I purchase my private collection of World War I aircraft of course.
Probably an Se5 then either a Dr.1 or Alb....tough call.

#4170398 - 09/18/15 11:46 AM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: Panama Red]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
I have an acquaintance who is very well-to-do (as an example, one of his neighbors had medical problems with his wife, and she couldn't use the stairs. So he installed an elevator in his house! Not a chair lift - an actual elevator!). When I had a friend come into enough money (about $4 million) that I knew they'd have difficulties, we all got together for a talk as to how to handle it. And he was very helpful - his dad had been a welder, so when he made it to the highest echelons of international banking, it was a heckuva an adjustment. While I'll admit it's a problem I wouldn't mind having, there are problems nevertheless.

And he's a really great guy. He's done very good things with his money. He's quite wealthy but not part of the really elite, who buy & sell Washington on a regular basis.

So say your prayers, and maybe someday one of us can indeed fund OBD!

#4170404 - 09/18/15 12:22 PM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Well I am a firm believer that money doesn't cause you problems.
You already have them and money just allows them out of the closet.
I can't wait to sleep in a oxygen tent and adopt a chimpanzee!

#4170488 - 09/18/15 02:56 PM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: HumanDrone]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Originally Posted By: HumanDrone
Not always. As Cavy57 & I have pointed out, Microsoft also has the power to ruin your company just because they don't want you in the market. It's a shame that a superior product can be undercut in pricing just because the company marketing the inferior product has enough revenue from other sources to starve you out.

Money runs everything, and yes, sound business financial practice is important. But brutalizing your competition just because you're the 800 lb. gorilla isn't fair. We think we've overthrown the kings, and live in a democracy? There is a royal class in America, we just don't see it. soapbox

Quite true,but the Royal Class is everywhere,here in Europe we are under a "fake democracy" from ages! sigh

" In vino veritas "
#4170489 - 09/18/15 02:57 PM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy

It's not so simple I am afraid.... nope

" In vino veritas "
#4170831 - 09/19/15 10:31 AM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: Panama Red]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
what d'ya know. I havn't updated for months so I had a look and low and behold three of these files where there.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4170832 - 09/19/15 10:37 AM Re: OT...Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case' [Re: Cavaliere57]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: Cavaliere57

It's not so simple I am afraid.... nope

The oxygen tent or chimpanzee?
biggrin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones