Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4168117 - 09/12/15 08:14 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

I was never too excited about the NTTR map for the terrain itself. The positives are the engine improvements and that it's not Crimea (not that I'm sick of it, I haven't been playing that long).

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4168118 - 09/12/15 08:16 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: scrim]  
Snoopy_476th Offline
Snoopy_476th  Offline

Warner Robins Ga, USA
Originally Posted By: scrim
I am definitely dubious about NTTR. Aside from the whole extreme reluctance I've developed from experience regarding pre-purchasing, especially from ED, what would the arguments be in favour of buying it? Having it for just the experience of a new map is something I feel would grow old far too quickly considering the cost of it. Flying virtual practice flights doesn't sound all that fascinating, and actual combat would seem sort of weird.

It's all about how you use it, the 476th has extensive plans for all our internal training and community events (vHawgsmoke, etc) using NTTR.

Last edited by Snoopy_476th; 09/12/15 08:17 PM.
#4168120 - 09/12/15 08:23 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
There's also the possibility of a "Red Dawn" scenario..... fearful

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4168123 - 09/12/15 08:33 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: bogusheadbox]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Happy Birthday komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

So much win in these last two posts. biggrin

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4168124 - 09/12/15 08:34 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: scrim]  
Blooze Offline
Blooze  Offline

Originally Posted By: scrim
I am definitely dubious about NTTR. Aside from the whole extreme reluctance I've developed from experience regarding pre-purchasing, especially from ED, what would the arguments be in favour of buying it? Having it for just the experience of a new map is something I feel would grow old far too quickly considering the cost of it. Flying virtual practice flights doesn't sound all that fascinating, and actual combat would seem sort of weird.

I agree. Flying training missions doesn't excite me at all and I can't imagine creating any immersive hypothetical missions taking place in Nevada unless I was smoking moon gas, and I quit that a long time ago. I see it as a stepping stone toward other maps and although I would enjoy trying it a while just for kicks I doubt that I'll be paying for what would probably be a few hours of sight seeing. Another hit to the already waning MP community is that if someone wants to host a NTTR mission on a separate machine they will have to buy 2 copies.

#4168126 - 09/12/15 08:49 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
I love training missions and also Red dawn scenarios!!!

#4168132 - 09/12/15 09:28 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: Blooze]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Originally Posted By: Blooze
Another hit to the already waning MP community is that if someone wants to host a NTTR mission on a separate machine they will have to buy 2 copies.

Is that true? I don't have to buy server-side airplane modules or Combined Arms to run any current mission on Hollo Pointe.

---

I do get the NTTR free from buying the A-10C Beta, and plan to make Red vs Blue missions with it. This guy --

is going to be the bad-assed Red commander, me thinks.

WC

"Your ballroom days are over, baby"

Find my DCS World missions at Wrecking Crew Projects. All released missions are free to download, modify and publicly host -- enjoy!
#4168136 - 09/12/15 09:37 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted By: Wrecking Crew
Another hit to the already waning MP community is that if someone wants to host a NTTR mission on a separate machine they will have to buy 2 copies.

Is that true? I don't have to buy server-side airplane modules or Combined Arms to run any current mission on Hollo Pointe.

Yes, but the free DCS World contains the map you are using now. How are you going to create an NTTR mission in DCS World, without the map it will be created on?

Keep in mind that anyone can create a server with DCS World, and then play MP by themselves on the same machine. If servers did not need a license for NTTR then nobody would actually need to buy it.

Last edited by cichlidfan; 09/12/15 09:40 PM.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4168142 - 09/12/15 10:10 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: bogusheadbox]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

You know- probably it's just me being a grumpy old basterd... but I wonder if all of those who can't imagine flying training mission can perform consistently a correct IFR approach with a touch and go...

Just saying.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4168145 - 09/12/15 10:21 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: komemiute]  
Blooze Offline
Blooze  Offline

Originally Posted By: komemiute
You know- probably it's just me being a grumpy old basterd... but I wonder if all of those who can't imagine flying training mission can perform consistently a correct IFR approach with a touch and go...

Just saying.

I am one that can't but only because it has never been important enough to me to learn and I doubt that having NTTR available will create a new found desire to learn it in the future either. reading Just saying.

#4168147 - 09/12/15 10:26 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: bogusheadbox]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Training missions is what I meant in regards to what missions would be realistic on the NTTR. I don't see why I can't train on those exact things on the Black Sea map?

#4168152 - 09/12/15 10:53 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: Blooze]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: komemiute

Just saying.

I am one that can't but only because it has never been important enough to me to learn and I doubt that having NTTR available will create a new found desire to learn it in the future either. reading Just saying.

I see.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4168244 - 09/13/15 09:36 AM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: bogusheadbox]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

I am happy for the map and considering buying it. But IIRC its quite a small area in comparison to the black sea and upcoming straight of hormuz.

The main pull of purchasing this map (for me) is that most people will be hosting online after release as its the new toy. So I will have to purchase to follow suit.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#4168253 - 09/13/15 10:53 AM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: bogusheadbox]  
nirvi Offline
nirvi  Offline

Switzerland
Originally Posted By: bogusheadbox
I am happy for the map and considering buying it. But IIRC its quite a small area in comparison to the black sea and upcoming straight of hormuz.

The main pull of purchasing this map (for me) is that most people will be hosting online after release as its the new toy. So I will have to purchase to follow suit.

The Nevada map is bigger than the black sea map. The high detail level terrain on the nevada map is just a small portion of the whole map.

#4168260 - 09/13/15 12:15 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: nirvi]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: nirvi
Originally Posted By: bogusheadbox

The Nevada map is bigger than the black sea map. The high detail level terrain on the nevada map is just a small portion of the whole map.

I know it sounds silly, but... is there a superimpostion of the siye of the two maps?
I´d like to see the difference- numbers written on a page helps little to get the order of magnitude we´re talking about...

Sorry if it´s an old topic. :P

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4168287 - 09/13/15 02:16 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: bogusheadbox]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
It is simply amazing to me that, after years and years, when ED finally releases a new map there are folks that can't find "something" interesting to do on it. Or that somehow flying there isn't realistic. You're playing a video game, bro.

It's almost like people just want to find things to complain about sometimes.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#4168291 - 09/13/15 02:33 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: toonces]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: toonces
It is simply amazing to me that, after years and years, when ED finally releases a new map there are folks that can't find "something" interesting to do on it. Or that somehow flying there isn't realistic. You're playing a video game, bro.

Only about the map?
Man- this kids wants a module that's@ 100% realism or it's"arcade" and then can't bother to learn a proper approach to landing...

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4168298 - 09/13/15 02:59 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: toonces]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

So I take it you still buy every single module they release then, regardless of what plane it is or your own interest in it? The NTTR module is a product up for sale. If people aren't interested in this particular product, why should they spend their money on it? It's really that simple.

#4168303 - 09/13/15 03:30 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: toonces]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

No one here said they can't find anything interesting to do on the map. They just said it would be (for them) stretching immersion having a particular engagement on that map.

I can understand that, so I won't bash them.
I can also understand why people went this map regardless of anything. So I won't bash them either.

I just don't understand why people have to hit on other people here for a change of opinion. They are allowed one you know, and it just nay be different to yours.

Anyway, after all these years following NTTR I really did not know it was a large area map. So that makes me happy.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#4168305 - 09/13/15 03:33 PM Re: DCS Nevada anouncement soon [Re: scrim]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
Edit: I'm not going to bother to try to explain this to you. I'm going to let you figure this out yourself.

Last edited by toonces; 09/13/15 03:34 PM.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.