Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4166911 - 09/09/15 08:11 PM boeing 777 catches fire rejected takeoff today  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

The captain of a British Airways jet that was forced to abandon its takeoff from Las Vegas after an engine burst into flames is a veteran pilot with 42 years’ experience.

The pilot – identified by the Guardian as Chris Henkey, 63, from near Reading, Berkshire – was applauded by passengers for averting a potential disaster on the stricken Boeing 777-200 at McCarran international airport.

The crew of BA flight 2276, bound for London Gatwick, were forced to abandon the takeoff part-way down the runway when one of the two engines caught fire. Henkey can be heard issuing a mayday call that was captured in dramatic audio recordings. After the plane had come to a stop, he ordered the evacuation of the 157 passengers and 13 crew.

Flames bursting from the fuselage and a huge plume of smoke billowing into the sky were seen in vivid images of the aircraft shared on social media by members of the public at the airport.

The fire, which started in the left-side, General Electric-manufactured engine – was swiftly put out by about 50 firefighters. The US National Transportation Safety Board has launched an investigation into the incident.

Henkey, who graduated from the College of Air Training, the now-closed facility once used to train BA pilots, along with two senior first officers, delivered a “textbook response”, according to aviation experts.

His ex-wife Marnie, who is a former cabin crew member and with whom he has a daughter, said she was greatly relieved her former partner and the rest of the crew were safe.

“He is safe and happy,” she told the Guardian. “I’ve had some messages from him. He did a bloody good job.” Told that Henkey was being described as a hero, she said: “He will always be that in my eyes.”

She confirmed that Henkey’s voice could be heard in the mayday call, in which air traffic control are told an emergency evacuation was necessary. “I’m just so so pleased he and the crew are OK,” she said. “I must admit it was strange to hear the mayday call played on the radio.”

The flight crew first reported a problem to air traffic control shortly after the plane – a 275-seat B777-200 – had begun its takeoff procedures: “Speedbird 2276 heavy stopping.”

Fifteen seconds later one of the pilots says: “Speedbird Mayday Mayday. Speedbird 2276 request fire services.”

Air traffic control responds: “Speedbird 2276, heavy fire services on the way.”

About 30 seconds later, one of the pilots says: “Speedbird 2276 heavy, we are evacuating on the runway. We have a fire, repeat, we are evacuating.”

Passengers were evacuated within minutes, and returned to the terminal while firefighters tackled the blaze.

Steinberg, a football and tennis writer for the Guardian, said: “There was applause when the pilot emerged and spoke to everyone. He said he had been flying for years and had never seen anything like that.

“He was speaking to a few passengers later and all the colour had drained from his face. We shook his hand and thanked him. There were not enough words in the world for us to express our gratitude.”

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4166935 - 09/09/15 09:45 PM Re: boeing 777 catches fire rejected takeoff today [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Chaz Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Chaz  Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls

(Technically it happened yesterday (Sept 8). Minor details....)

Anyways, yeah that was some fine work by the entire crew (pilots and flight attendants) to get everyone out of the aircraft. The captain was only 1 week away from retirement. Guess he gets an early pass! with some added paperwork and interviews!

Lots of photos/videos of during and aftermath:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dramatic-photo-damage-british-airways-jet-burst-flames/story?id=33627557

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/se...ying-experience

✈ YouTube

✈ Twitch

✈ My PC Gaming Rig
#4166938 - 09/09/15 09:54 PM Re: boeing 777 catches fire rejected takeoff today [Re: bogusheadbox]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

I was in Las Vegas yesterday when the BA plane caught fire on while still on the tarmac at McCarran Airport.

We were in a taxi cab just pulling out of MGM Grand on Tropicana when we saw the thick 100 feet high plum of dark dark smoke coming from the airport.

Tropicana runs East to West on the border of the airport northern grounds so we were right there about 1 mile away.

#4167068 - 09/10/15 05:13 AM Re: boeing 777 catches fire rejected takeoff today [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Gromit Offline
Old and cranky
Gromit  Offline
Old and cranky

Phoenix, AZ
This photo pisses me off. A passenger jet is engulfed in flames on the left side, and the captain orders an evacuation. Several morons choose to delay their egress so they can retrieve their damn carry-ons. What is so damn important that you feel the need to risk the lives of others still on board so you can get your stupid laptop and change of clothes?

Ugh. People are selfish and stupid.

Last edited by Gromit; 09/10/15 05:14 AM.

MSgt, USAF (ret)
#4167070 - 09/10/15 05:26 AM Re: boeing 777 catches fire rejected takeoff today [Re: bogusheadbox]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

Geee... I thought in case of emergency everyone is supposed to head toward the nearest open exit and go down the slide.

Aren't the cabin crew supposed to rush everyone on and if you are trying to get your luggage, they will make you keep heading toward the exits?

#4167077 - 09/10/15 07:21 AM Re: boeing 777 catches fire rejected takeoff today [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Kodiak Offline
Kodiak  Offline

Over the hills and far away.
This could have been much worse with all that fuel on board! Happy they were still on the ground and everybody is safe.

I Want To Believe
#4167080 - 09/10/15 07:51 AM Re: boeing 777 catches fire rejected takeoff today [Re: Gromit]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Originally Posted By: Gromit
This photo pisses me off. A passenger jet is engulfed in flames on the left side, and the captain orders an evacuation. Several morons choose to delay their egress so they can retrieve their damn carry-ons. What is so damn important that you feel the need to risk the lives of others still on board so you can get your stupid laptop and change of clothes?

What gets me as a pilot, is I sometimes have to sit as passenger to commute to operate out of other bases. It never ceases to amaze me how hardly anyone will pay attention to the safety demonstration.

Do they actually know where the exit is, have they read the instructions to open the overwing exits and then looked at the overwing exits and run through their minds how it works... etc. The cabin crew who get abused daily have to stay on board and try to help panic stricken passengers who paid no attention and have no clue.

Its too bloody late to be asking questions when the pop has hit the fan.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#4167096 - 09/10/15 09:54 AM Re: boeing 777 catches fire rejected takeoff today [Re: bogusheadbox]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
The disregard for other passengers safety by those who delayed evacuation by recovering their hand luggage against instruction is highly featured in British media today. Possible that those guilty of this might face legal consequences.

#4167107 - 09/10/15 11:07 AM Re: boeing 777 catches fire rejected takeoff today [Re: bogusheadbox]  
CG2015 Offline
CG2015  Offline

I agree about these idiots who risked their fellow passengers' lives by stopping to grab their luggage.

Several websites I found related news articles about this mentioned safety videos from different airlines that told the passengers in case of emergency, evacuate as quick as possible without grabbing anything.

I flew to Vegas in Business class on American Airlines and flew back in Cattle class on Southwest Airlines.

There were no safety videos on either flights except for the stewardess standing in the aisle demonstrating the use of seat belts and oxygen mask and life vests.

Both times while that was going on, I looked around me and my fellow passengers were immersed in their electronic devices and not paying attention.

#4167117 - 09/10/15 11:33 AM Re: boeing 777 catches fire rejected takeoff today [Re: CG2015]  
Kodiak Offline
Kodiak  Offline

Over the hills and far away.
Originally Posted By: CG2015
I agree about these idiots who risked their fellow passengers' lives by stopping to grab their luggage.

Hey, hey, maybe there was an iPhone or an iPad in that luggage? biggrin

I Want To Believe
#4167274 - 09/10/15 05:21 PM Re: boeing 777 catches fire rejected takeoff today [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Maybe they put their pamphlet with emergency evacuation directions in their carry on and needed to retrieve it in order to brush up?

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.