Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4163737 - 09/01/15 09:32 AM Storm of War Campaign launch date set - Sept 15th  
Philstyle Offline
Philstyle  Offline

London
Full details here:
http://stormofwar.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2321

-----

On September 15th 2015 (Battle of Britain Day) Storm of War will be releasing the new 24-hour, 7-day-per-week campaign which is called “the Long War”.

The "Long War" is the realisation of 13 months of work with the Storm of War server building all of the following features that are a totally unique combination in Cliffs of Dover:
1. Mission by Mission public career stats, including a "dead-is-dead" career system
2. Hundreds of targets for bomber pilots, dynamically selected each mission
3. Statistics for bombers pilots, displaying the weight of bombs dropped and objects destroyed throughout your career
4. Limited numbers of air-frames on the map, and air-frames that actually required repairs in the workshop after a mission where they took damage
5. A meta-game that exists beyond simply flying on the server, with inter-squadron co-operation, intelligence gathering and strategic planning
6. RADAR and Direction finding systems that are linked to ground-based infrastructure
7. Web-based and ingame RADAR output, IFF "pip-squeak" locators, mapping and strategic tools
8. Dynamically generated mission weather including clouds and wind settings which are modelled on real-world meteorological data from south-east England
9. The ability to fly Reconnaissance and Transport missions that will have a real effect on your team's fighting capability
10. Customisable airfields for virtual squadrons, which allow each unit to design the layout of their own airfield and spawn areas

The "Long War" will be a fully persistent environment where your actions will have an effect on everyone else who flies on the server. Our "FAQ" page is now active. This page should answer the most common questions about how SoW works now that we have set a transition date.

http://stormofwar.org/?Page=longwar

Part of the beauty of the new 24/7 "Long War" is that no two missions will ever be the same on the server. From now on, targets will be generated dynamically. There is no longer the need for “mission builders” to be constantly working on new content – the server does this for us!

The “META-GAME”

Many of the offline aspects of Storm of War are found in the “Campaign Interface” which has been significantly improved in recent months. Access to this side of Storm of War is mainly given to players who are members of
a virtual squadron that has registered to play on SoW. If your virtual squadron or group is registered on SoW AND you have declared for one side (red, or blue) you should already have access to the Campaign Interface.
http://www.stormofwar.org/campaigninterface.php

Instructions for registering your squadron can be found in this YouTube
video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjvKC2SaGlw

Between now and the 15th, the server will continue to run for testing and just general enjoyment. All Stats will be reset once again so that we start the campaign with everyone on Life no.1, Sortie no.1 ! Please keep an eye on the forum to check for specific testing requirements or notifications of server downtime.

From all the team at Storm of war, Salute!; and see you from September 15th!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4163854 - 09/01/15 02:35 PM Re: Storm of War Campaign launch date set - Sept 15th [Re: Philstyle]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Wow that's a great read

Great work fellows!

#4163916 - 09/01/15 04:56 PM Re: Storm of War Campaign launch date set - Sept 15th [Re: Philstyle]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Sweet.

Edit: When I come to think of it, only thing I feel missing - as the random visitor I am - When chekcing current Target it says "Ypresse yada yada" but as being a very average persona I have absolutely no idea where that field is.
Could all positional data be complemented with coordinates (some already are IIRC)?

Last edited by theOden; 09/01/15 05:00 PM.
#4164162 - 09/02/15 05:19 AM Re: Storm of War Campaign launch date set - Sept 15th [Re: Philstyle]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
Wow, I may need to relocate to the EU...

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4164173 - 09/02/15 06:50 AM Re: Storm of War Campaign launch date set - Sept 15th [Re: Sluggish Controls]  
Philstyle Offline
Philstyle  Offline

London
Originally Posted By: Sluggish Controls
Wow, I may need to relocate to the EU...
Cheers,
Slug

Why? The server is available world-wide.
There are quite a few players form the US and from Australia who play on SoW. smile

#4164174 - 09/02/15 06:52 AM Re: Storm of War Campaign launch date set - Sept 15th [Re: theOden]  
Philstyle Offline
Philstyle  Offline

London
Originally Posted By: theOden
Sweet.
Edit: When I come to think of it, only thing I feel missing - as the random visitor I am - When chekcing current Target it says "Ypresse yada yada" but as being a very average persona I have absolutely no idea where that field is.
Could all positional data be complemented with coordinates (some already are IIRC)?

Good sggestion.
I will ask the code-boys if we can have the target's grid-reference stated in the text.
Thanks for the idea!

#4164228 - 09/02/15 11:40 AM Re: Storm of War Campaign launch date set - Sept 15th [Re: Philstyle]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Very impressive!
You guys (+gals?) Have put a lot of thought and effort into this! I wish you the best success, it looks to be a ton of fun smile

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.