Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4162525 - 08/29/15 02:09 AM Seen the Horizons sneak peak?  
Security_Device_Enclosed Offline
Security_Device_Enclosed  Offline

Victoria

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4162572 - 08/29/15 08:20 AM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Looks very nice indeed.
In regards to the surface vehicle I will be curious to see how it is implemented in the game.
Perhaps I am odd but I enjoyed the Mako.

#4162574 - 08/29/15 08:40 AM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

The Mako experience felt quite some Jury Rigged gameplay bolted on top of a game that could quite go without it, plus maps were terribly small...

Yet still it didn't do any damage and probably DID offer some relief/changes.

I expect Horizon to feel a bit like that at the beginning, but the simple fact that the planet is 1:1 scale should give a completely different feeling.
What I really hope is that there ain't going to be 1 crashed ship/point of interest/secret hideout per square mile...

And not on EVERY planet either...
That said they got me on Elite at Hello.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4162576 - 08/29/15 08:42 AM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Also be aware everyone, the lifetime pass is going to be off the store around half September.

It IS pricey, but you know that you're going to regret not buying it next year... so, do future yourself a favor and grab it!

Plus a selection of skins are 40% off this weekend!

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4162588 - 08/29/15 10:45 AM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Just me talking but having to pay for skins rubs me the wrong way for whatever reason. Perhaps in any other sim I have played (and this is my first - and probably only - online sim I would ever do) skins have always been a player contribution to the game but perhaps the "online only" nature of E:D prevents that.
Anyway I still enjoyed the Mako and thought it was fun to drive. Of course I guess I will need a new ship to carry this ground vehicle..maybe. Been waiting to see the stats on the Cobra Mk IV. Hopefully not another 50 million dollar ship!
And I pre-ordered Horizons. At my age I have disposable income for my little hobbies and this just continues my 30 year Elite journey.

#4162603 - 08/29/15 11:51 AM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Duke,

I feel somewhat the same about the skins (especially since I am a DCS skinner), but when it comes down to it this is really no difference from paying for cosmetics in a MMORPG. Because it's MMO, all skins must be on all installs and recognized by the servers, and they're something that you can pay for if you like without having to "pay to win" in what is essentially a pay-once MMO.

In other news, there is currently a $195 "Lifetime Pass" that will give you every expansion for the life of Elite Dangerous. This offer is good through 9/14, and should pay up for itself in 3 years even if you don't take advantage of the Beta Access it confers.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4162607 - 08/29/15 12:02 PM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
At my age I don't want to jinx myself with a "Lifetime Pass"!
I don't mind cranking out $50.00 a year.
And I guessed correctly about online and the skins it seems. I've avoided other sims due to online requirements (and I don't have all the time in the world to play anyway) but Elite is Elite and in Solo mode the online thing is not that onerous.
I've made some personal skins for my solid atmosphere love (WOFF) and making them is part of the fun...not that I am very good though!

#4162725 - 08/29/15 05:40 PM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I'm a bit torn about the Lifetime Expansion Pass. £130? Really?

Maybe I should've bought this to start with? Or do they expect people to buy the game at £30 then buy the expansion at £130?

How many more expansions are they planning? Did they talk about this somewhere? At the prices they're going, it'll take 3 expansions to "break even."

- Ice
#4162732 - 08/29/15 05:50 PM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Assuming sales are good I would expect at least three but that's just a guess on my part.

#4162738 - 08/29/15 06:10 PM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
In thinking further about it we all better hope business is good.
If Frontier should go out of business what good is a online-only game then?

#4162743 - 08/29/15 06:23 PM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

The initial idea and the roadmap do talk of a cycle of ten years of development = expansions...

I think they have all the cards in hand to manage that...

Thing is this the the mother of all the games thay are planning. There's not going to be an elite dangerous 2.
Of course there are other games in the pipeline, but let's face it David Braben IS Elite.
And the company IS called Frontier.

I decided, by the initial pitch with that first kickstarter video, that I could trust him..
He's always been about his uncompromised vision- he is keeping to it.
He sacrificed off-line play to grant that.

True, development is underway and it will be, luckily as long as possible.
That's the whole damn point.

But that just my opinion.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4162816 - 08/29/15 10:16 PM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: - Ice]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Originally Posted By: - Ice
I'm a bit torn about the Lifetime Expansion Pass. £130? Really?

Maybe I should've bought this to start with? Or do they expect people to buy the game at £30 then buy the expansion at £130?

From what I understand, the lifetime membership was one of the Kickstarter tiers that was recently re-introduced for the upcoming expansion. You don't need the ED game to get the lifetime membership, but since you already have ED you get a £10 "loyalty discount" (making it £120).

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4162932 - 08/30/15 03:50 AM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Yep, it looks like the first screenshot from in-game. Horizons should open up quite a few interesting avenues of play.

Very much looking forward to more!

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4162935 - 08/30/15 04:06 AM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
On the fence about the lifetime membership. Will probably decide over the next week or so...

#4164038 - 09/01/15 10:40 PM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Too pricey IMO. I wanted the lifetime pass to be available again, but i didn't expected it to be this high. So i will have to let it pass again. frown

Si hay que huir, YO PRIMERO!!!
#4164189 - 09/02/15 08:08 AM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
Security_Device_Enclosed Offline
Security_Device_Enclosed  Offline

Victoria
No way I'm buying the lifetime pass, too much money for what is essentially a 'future investment'.
I have pre-ordered Horizons though, for the small discount and the Cobra Mk IV, I'll probably never use it but it would annoy me knowing that it's out there but I can't have it. hahaha

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4164209 - 09/02/15 09:39 AM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

No lifetime pass for me. Its far too much money for one, there is no guarantee how many years the game will run for, and what direction these updates will take.

For instance, I have absolutely no idea why they are wasting development time and money on this silly "arena commander" rip off / call of duty clone close quarters module. I have zero interest in it. Come on really.... a gladiator module in small maps but with ship.... wtf. Absolute waste in my eyes.

But saying that, I have pre-ordered the horizons expansion hoping that development will continue solely on the game and not rubbish like the close quarters arena crap

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#4164213 - 09/02/15 10:01 AM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Same boat as you Bogus,way too expensive and zero interest in CQC.

Having said that I'm into E:D so far to the tune of £60-£70,however I would prefer to pick and choose what modules I buy.Horizons took my interest.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4164328 - 09/02/15 02:37 PM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: bogusheadbox]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted By: bogusheadbox
For instance, I have absolutely no idea why they are wasting development time and money on this silly "arena commander" rip off / call of duty clone close quarters module. I have zero interest in it. Come on really.... a gladiator module in small maps but with ship.... wtf. Absolute waste in my eyes.

I have a strong suspicion that the CQC addition was done to add vast interest for the upcoming XBox One release. PvP with rapid action, rapid replay, and rankings, to appeal to a more casual action oriented market segment. More sales, more money.

Personally, I'm not bummed by CQC. While I've yet to play it, it might be a fun diversion for those times when I'd like some quick fun, but my Asp is hours of travel away from the nearest human space.

Like Chucky mentions, I will probably pick and choose what appeals when buying expansions. Horizons is of particular interest to me, as I am avidly into mining. And all those moons and metal rich planets should open up loads of interesting experiences for mining on the surface.

For things like planet walking, well cool as it sounds, I would almost prefer NOT turning my spaceship game into a FPS game, where I wander around with a laser rifle to defend myself. Sort of like the recent FPS Star Citizen videos, where it looks like those alleys are just prime for getting mugged/killed. Time will tell, however.

Last edited by adlabs6; 09/02/15 02:40 PM.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4168358 - 09/13/15 05:44 PM Re: Seen the Horizons sneak peak? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Decided not to do the lifetime. Figured I would just buy the expansions as they come out.

Looking forward to this first one.

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.