Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4160892 - 08/25/15 09:02 AM What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims)  
Rends Offline
Rends  Offline

Germany
Hi,
I'm not much into Multiplayer these days Infact i more or less stopped when Red Orchestra 2 was released with poor tank support.
I loved to play tanks in RO 1.
Then i lurked into World of tanks and decided not to realy like it.
Played also IL2 in the past but never realy got into it for some reasons.
got ARMA2 just for the i44 mod only to find out that noone was playing it online.
But this happened few years ago.
Now i'm waiting for Star Wars Battlefront but i want to know what military Multiplayer games/Sims are popular today?

Rends

Last edited by Rends; 08/25/15 09:03 AM.

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4160904 - 08/25/15 10:36 AM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm currently playing these titles online on a regular basis,

ArmA 3 (on SimHQ)

Total War: Rome 2

Total War: Attila

DCS World

Rise of Flight

Company of Heroes 2

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/25/15 10:37 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4160910 - 08/25/15 11:05 AM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Breaking Point (Arma 3) - playing this a hell of a lot recently. Got a scuba-spec ops kinda character going. Come in off the beach wearing a wetsuit and rebreather, loot the towns carefully at night then slink back into the water with my new gear. Pretty fun.

Also playing Arma3 with the ACE mod. Fantastic long range shooting, ultra real ballistics.

And then of course also flying a lot of MSFSX - the PMDG 737, 777 and MD-11 as well as the occasional Bell JetRanger (All payware mods), as well as the DCS Huey.

#4160912 - 08/25/15 11:12 AM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
In order of playing time:

DCS
Naval Action
Elite: Dangerous
Cliffs of Dover with Team Fusion patches
Falcon BMS

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4160917 - 08/25/15 11:25 AM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Nothing currently.

But when I dive back in with a real Windows based PC it will be:

DCS: World
ARMA 3
Falcon BMS (hopefully upgraded by then)

#4160937 - 08/25/15 12:38 PM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

FSX--military aircraft helicopters

DayZ

ArmA3

Would like to play more SBProPE

#4160943 - 08/25/15 12:49 PM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted By: Rends
... but i want to know what military Multiplayer games/Sims are popular today?

Why don't you try out Steel Beasts for a month. Maybe you'll like it. smile
New version will be out this Thursday, most likely.

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4160960 - 08/25/15 01:17 PM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Ssnake]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted By: Ssnake
... but i want to know what military Multiplayer games/Sims are popular today?

Why don't you try out Steel Beasts for a month. Maybe you'll like it. smile
New version will be out this Thursday, most likely.

+1

There's so much more to SB then just tank on tank combat
It has a powerful mission/terrain editor
IMO the best milsim I have ever spent time/money on.
I have had the sim for over ten years and it still keeps me coming back for more.

#4160986 - 08/25/15 02:31 PM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
Kodiak Offline
Kodiak  Offline

Over the hills and far away.
GTA V Online.

I Want To Believe
#4161022 - 08/25/15 03:32 PM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
On military sort of games. Really sad right now. =(

Arma 3's really weird and extremely badly balanced TKOTH.... Although just the infantry only ones.

OH heck, let me rant about it.

Cap zone for a king of hill sort of mission that is insanely huge. Defeats any purpose of capping an objective really. Just get in the like 600 meter circle in the middle of the city and shoot people trying to get in. No limits on weapons, optics, or sound suppressors. So its become Navid (a really big MG) wars. A leveling system with old school counter strike cash for gear thing in place. But cash is persistent so getting a lot is easy with time. I currently have 90,000 bucks. So buying stuff is no issue and have perma bought the stuff I use most.

In sort, I am perplexed why this mission is as popular as it is. But have found no populated local PVP that is better. It is the saving grace of Arma 3 that makes it ok. The vehicle one I will not play. That is beyond stupid. Its thermal sighted vehicles spamming from hills and choppers shooting everything and body. And for the first time in OFP/ARMA 3rd person cam is ON in most servers. Which is crazy for a pvp FPS mission. You can see EVERYTHING while not be seen. So guys pop out of no where to shoot guys when moving around cities. Its just incredibly badly balanced overall yet I keep playing as nothing better IMO. Well infantry only and 1st person on. That other crap is a total waste of time.

Oh I forgot the set your own view distance options... Air craft can set up to 4000 meters. Tanks and such I think its 4000 meters too. Infantry are limited to 3000 but when in the cities and towns that is not generally viable for performance sake. Default is 1000. So on vehicle servers they can sit out side view range of infantry and spam them using thermal sights. I mean really? WTF? Its like designed in cheating.

Last edited by FlashBurn; 08/25/15 03:36 PM.
#4161098 - 08/25/15 06:48 PM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Online MP games:
MechWarrior Online - F2P so you can try it out for no cost
World of Warships - F2P so you can try it out for no cost, I didn't like WOT but I am really enjoying this

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4161119 - 08/25/15 07:51 PM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
Rends Offline
Rends  Offline

Germany
About STeel Beast Pro.
Yes i know this one. I already watched a couple videos on youtube.
Guess i'm not in that league. Looks like current or former real tankers and die hard fans playing this Sim only?
It looks to professional at least how they play together shown in Yt videos
I'm not sure if can spend so much time to come close to this.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
i need to recheck DCS. Last time i installed it it didn't work but this was on a diff. PC.

Oh, my Son was playing World of Warships but it was frustrating so he gave up.
Warships wasn't often at the location shown in Game but hundret meters away.
And we have a good Internet connection here.

Question about CLoD. Is there an active 24/7 online community so i could jump in whenever i want?
And is this Sim is fixed in the meantime or still full of bugs.
I was interested in CLOD before release but turned away when i heard about needed PC specs and frustrated early adopters comments.

Rends

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
#4161131 - 08/25/15 08:15 PM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
If you like tanks but World of Tanks didn't do it for you, have you tried War Thunder? It has Ground Forces which is tank battles.

I played World of Tanks for a good while, but it was missing something. Ironically, I tried War Thunder sometime in the middle of my time with World of Tanks, but War Thunder was so different it didn't click at first. Later on, I tried War Thunder again and got a better appreciation for it (or maybe they patched the game so it was way better than what I first tried out).

What I like about War Thunder is that there is no HP system. You can be one-shot-killed if the enemy ignites your ammo stores or your fuel tanks. You can be killed if your tank burns down (fuel tanks burn but don't explode). You can be killed if you are left with only 1 crew member.

Granted, it's not perfect, it has it's flaws, but it's free to play and up to about Tier 3 or BR 4.7 or lower, the tanks are really quick and fun.

- Ice
#4161178 - 08/25/15 10:21 PM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
Cali Offline
Military Advisor - USAF
Cali  Offline
Military Advisor - USAF

Davis-Monthan AFB, Az
DayZ is the only game I have time for currently.

i5-2500k @ 3.3, Asus P8Z77-V LE mobo Windows 7 64-bit, 8GB 1866mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, Warthog, uber modded Cougar, TM Cougar MFD's, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard

#4161189 - 08/25/15 11:23 PM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
About Steel Beast Pro.
Guess i'm not in that league. Looks like current or former real tankers and die hard fans playing this Sim only?

Players of all qualification levels are welcome.
SB Pro doesn't have any of those reward point/league systems, which may already take out some of the pressure (and ridiculous exploits) that can sometimes be observed elsewhere. If you tell the other guys that your level of experience isn't very high you will probably find a personal tutor to guide you through the most important steps.
The important issue is to stay for the after action review, so you can understand what actually happened in the battle (and hopefully learn from mistakes ... and realize what actually worked well). Nobody expects fully trained tank officers or NCOs with years of practice (and even they die in battle).

Steel Beasts is a simulation. It simply shows what happens - remorseless, but non-judgmental.

Go through one set of tutorials until you feel comfortable with one specific combat vehicle (tanks like M1 and Leopard 2 are the easiest to begin with since their armor can sometimes make up for the smaller mistakes). At that point you're ready, if you're a teamplayer and are willing to support other people in a common mission.

smile

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4161193 - 08/25/15 11:35 PM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Komemiute's AAR in the AAR section got me hooked on Hearts of Iron 3 and I have been playing that exclusively for a while.

And now Para_Bellum has got an AAR going so I'm following that closely.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4161198 - 08/25/15 11:49 PM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

I
About STeel Beast Pro.
It looks to professional at least how they play together shown in Yt videos
I'm not sure if can spend so much time to come close to this.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
i need to recheck DCS. Last time i installed it it didn't work but this was on a diff. PC.
Rends

I would agree with Ssnakes post you don't need a military background to play SB.
Yes their are quite a few guys who really know what they are doing some currently serving military personnel
some ex tankers but the vast majority of players are just enthusiasts like me.
As for the videos you watched the guys try to portray military operations as they would happen in the real world
But I have taken part in many MP sessions there a great bunch of guys and you would be helped

#4161202 - 08/25/15 11:54 PM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet

Question about CLoD. Is there an active 24/7 online community so i could jump in whenever i want?

Yes, but only the "hardcore" "full switches" servers, mainly on ATAG and in weekends in SoW.

Today CLoD with TF patchs is OK, far from "perfect" but enjoyable.

But don't expect hundred players like in il-2'46 hay days, daily is dozens - reach one hundred in weekends.

This numbers is the today reality for online CFS (il-2'46, CloD, BoS, DCS...) other than War Thunder - in his "mouse fly" servers.

#4161205 - 08/26/15 12:00 AM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
Mechwarrior Online
Elite Dangerous
DCS every once in a spell

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#4161399 - 08/26/15 03:37 PM Re: What people are playing online these days? (Military games/Sims) [Re: Rends]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
World of Warships these days.

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.