Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4159717 - 08/20/15 09:49 PM Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums.  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
I go over to the official forums to catch up on news and to get a tip or two.
However I find, generally, the place to be quite depressing with the (presumed) vocal minority complaining mightily about this and that.
I played Elite a whole lot on my C64 then Amiga back in the mid 80's and for the past two years, since I found out about it, I have been doing the quite well done Oolite that does a nice job of capturing the original flavor of the game. Now that I was convinced E:D was not going to be a "flash in the pan" I made the jump.

E:D is hardly perfect but it's not a finished product either. Things seems to keep getting worked on and improved with time.
And I like it just fine. I suspect the old hands of Elite are maybe much more forgiving then the new breed of gamer fresh to be Elite?
And in my opinion it is head and shoulders above any previous version of Elite or any other space sim.
Why all the vitriol? Did I miss something early on? People act like they were promised the world's most perfect simulation and now they are disappointed

#4159722 - 08/20/15 10:01 PM Re: Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I remember playing the original Elite and never getting anywhere with it at all.This version has me hooked.Not sure how many hours I have invested so far but I reckon there will be many hundreds more to come.

As for the forum,I tend to avoid game manufacturers forums whenever possible.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4159726 - 08/20/15 10:16 PM Re: Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Security_Device_Enclosed Offline
Security_Device_Enclosed  Offline

Victoria
Every official forum ever is full of nothing but whining. People who think the game's 'ok' aren't going to post about. People who think the game is great might might tell their friends but they aren't going to the forums unless their really freaking out about how god damn amazing this game is.

That leaves the haters, whinger and entitled pricks. 'I paid $60 dollars for this and after 500 hours of gameplay I've decided I don't like the font in the options menu. Totally gamebreaking, I want, nay demand my money back! Infact I demand the devs pay me to compensate for my time or I'll burn their houses down!'

Interestingly most of the people complaining about ED seem to be from the MMORPG crowd (a most wretched hive of scum and villainy) while those from a sci-fi/flight sim background all seem to love it.

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4159727 - 08/20/15 10:22 PM Re: Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Yes you gentlemen are correct and especially about official forums.
My game time, and thus the sims I spend my precious time on, is quite limited so perhaps I don't "get out much" into the wide world of the modern gamer. And self entitlement seems to be a common theme in a lot of areas I am afraid.

#4159728 - 08/20/15 10:23 PM Re: Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
One of the best official forums I have seen is the BoS one.Never any complaining there...

#4159802 - 08/21/15 08:50 AM Re: Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums. [Re: Chucky]  
Security_Device_Enclosed Offline
Security_Device_Enclosed  Offline

Victoria
Originally Posted By: Chucky
I remember playing the original Elite and never getting anywhere with it at all.This version has me hooked.

Same here. I'm too young for the original Elite but I did play First Encounters* thought it was the coolest game ever but I never got anywhere and it just didn't 'click' with me. Along comes ED and I've put in at least one session every week since preorder. Don't even want to think about how many hours!

*I almost skipped over ED completely because the name Elite didn't mean anything to me. Wasn't until I saw a vid posted here that I became interested.

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4159891 - 08/21/15 03:17 PM Re: Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I had never heard of the Elite series before seeing "Dangerous".

There are a few interesting and informative posts over at the official forums. I read there and learn a good deal.

As for the complaints, well I'm far newer to ED than many of those players, so I likely have a different perspective. Thus far, I am beyond satisfied with what I've seen. Sure, there are thin areas where content or interaction could improve. But with two updates to the core game plus a new expansions announced, I feel like things will only be getting better, based on the quality of what I've seen so far.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4160033 - 08/21/15 10:25 PM Re: Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

The very north of Germany
I think I played Final Frontier for some time, was for free on a CD coming with a game mag. Wasn`t bad, but for the time the graphics were already dated, so I didn`t play it a lot.

When I heard about ED, I googled a lot and was fascinated about te idea of simulating our whole galaxy. Just my cup of tea. So I bought the Premium Beta.

And never regretted it. I already spent hundreds of hours i the game. Currently I´m on my way to Barnards Loop. Exploring the cold darkness.

Happy camper here.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
500 GB Crucial CT500MX200 SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 LED
W10 64
#4160326 - 08/23/15 12:29 AM Re: Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Never played the original Elite. Even watching videos and looking at screenshots, I did not want to play with flying shapes, trying to dock with what looked like a d20 dice.

I made the mistake of trying out the demo. banghead

As for the vitriol, well, I guess they never heard of Star Citizen.... or BoS.....

- Ice
#4160331 - 08/23/15 01:03 AM Re: Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Those graphics were top flight....in the '80's.
Ignorance was bliss because we didn't know any better. Hehe

#4160374 - 08/23/15 10:08 AM Re: Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
If anyone remembers Starglider (Jez San) that was pretty awesome with its wireframe vector graphics. I played that on my Spectrum 128K. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw Starglider 2 on my Atart ST with its solid shaded 3D polygonal graphics.

Like you said,ignorance was bliss biggrin

#4160386 - 08/23/15 11:01 AM Re: Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
Rebel801st Offline
Rebel801st  Offline

Adelaide - Sth Australia
I appears that PowerPlay is currently the main cause of a lot of angst at the moment.

I also like to keep in touch with the latest news on FD Forum, but all of the negativity can be a bit depressing at times.

I have been playing ED since April and I am really loving it so far - since I have a long flight sim background (Falcon 4), I like the feel of the flight model and of course the graphics and sounds (in space?) are just awesome.

Its also great to be involved with a sim thats being developed and the promise of new updates on the "horizon"

Last edited by Rebel801st; 08/23/15 11:02 AM.
#4161059 - 08/25/15 04:37 PM Re: Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
SAPPER Offline
SAPPER  Offline

Portugal
I have to chuckle at you guy finding the "negativity" depressing. Yes the oficial forums are riddled with a lot of criticism and in a lot of cases I would say it's well deserved, but the thing it's great about FD it's that unlike other developers (we know who) they don't ban people for voicing criticism, I gess it makes sence frontier beeing a UK developer and all, few places are so welcoming of free speach as the UK.
I thought about going on the forums and making a few complaints of my own. But really I can't be bothered to and to be quite frank there's little I could say that hasn't allready been adressedi If FD will ever make any notice of those issues/opinions it's anyone gess.
In the mean time for all the criticism I have about ED, I absolutely love the game, I'm absolutely hooked and it's preaty much all I play now a days, as it takes all my gaming time.

#4161102 - 08/25/15 06:52 PM Re: Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Constructive criticism is one thing but pointless complaining is another.
I guess my thought is if you have a complaint then have a alternative suggestion or fix to remedy that for the developers not just "....this sucks."

#4161120 - 08/25/15 07:51 PM Re: Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
SAPPER Offline
SAPPER  Offline

Portugal
Humm... I think most of what I read there was of the this "should change in such a way", "this is bad because..." kind, rather than the "this sucks" kind. But we each read what we want I gess.

#4161125 - 08/25/15 08:03 PM Re: Wow. Sure is a lot of complaining over at the Frontier forums. [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Indeed.
I didn't give a detailed analysis over the dozens of "negative" posts just a general feeling.

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.