Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4159895 - 08/21/15 03:34 PM My first real G-Force experience  
Cajun Offline
Cajun  Offline

Lafayette, LA
I recently visited Disney World and participated in the ride, “Mission: Space”. Here is the wiki website with info on the ride.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission:_Space

Each ride compartment can seat 4 people. I rode with my nieces, age 8 and 10, and my brother-in-law. The girls play sports and like outdoor activities, so they are not “girly girls”.

Now I consider myself a fairly tough guy when it comes to wild rides. Being strapped in the ride, tightly, didn’t bother me nor did the dark enclosed space. The controls of the ride looked pretty impressive. You look at a screen as the ride moves. This is what usually makes you sick. That combination.

Now this ride also has G-Forces, up to 2.5 G’s sustained.

The ride starts and we blast off. The g-force was more than I expected. Especially on my chest and it was only 2.5. I can’t imagine what 8 or 9 G’s feels like. You are asked to push buttons on the console at certain times to simulate interaction. During blast off my niece has to push a button and I can see her struggling to raise her hand to press the button. Pilots who can tolerate that, my hat’s off to you. I’m still feeling fine at this point.

Now the ups and downs and side to sides start as we navigate space. The ride has air sickness bags for everyone. Bad omen there. At one point, I feel the urge to hurl and grab a bag. My 8 year old niece is also feeling the effects. We are approaching and about to land on Mars. I am feeling bad and thinking that I now have to travel back to earth. We both stare down at our feet for the rest of the ride. Luckily, the ride ends after landing on Mars.

My brother-in-law and my 10 year old niece are fine. As we exit the building, my wife remarks that my 8 year old niece and I look as white as a ghost.

I have never been on a ride that intense.

Intel i7-13700K
Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Ultra
Radeo RX 570 (8GB)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4159899 - 08/21/15 03:53 PM Re: My first real G-Force experience [Re: Cajun]  
Coot Online content
Pilgrim
Coot  Online Content
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Sounds fun sort of lol. I always enjoyed being on roller coasters. I'd sit there as a teen holding an imaginary flight stick between my legs and pretend that I was a fighter pilot. Loved the rolls and banks and anything in the ride that felt like flight.

I think I might have a rough time though in something like you mentioned though I would try it. I seem worse off if I'm jammed in a can-like space with other bodies all of which are putting of heat and it gets stuffy. For me that's prime conditions for getting sick.

I've seen some tall pilots but boy it seems like the small, stocky build is best suited for a fighter pilot. I have an uncle like that. Very short but stocky. Good size for a fighter pilot or bull rider.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4159904 - 08/21/15 04:03 PM Re: My first real G-Force experience [Re: Cajun]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Also at Disney...

Look at our expressions, the difference at 4.5 G's between being ~260 lbs. (5'-9") and ~110 lbs. (5'-4.5")...

That ride use to hurt!

#4159922 - 08/21/15 04:45 PM Re: My first real G-Force experience [Re: MarkG]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Originally Posted By: MarkG
Also at Disney...

Look at our expressions, the difference at 4.5 G's between being ~260 lbs. (5'-9") and ~110 lbs. (5'-4.5")...

That ride use to hurt!

I like the look from the back. That we are gonna die Look.

No thanks, my days of enjoying heavy G load are over. 3500hrs on the lawn mower the past 21 years
would make that a very painful ride for sure. Oh yeah, that lawn is rough 5 acres, if you drive
it tense at all, you will be a wreck for days from it.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4159937 - 08/21/15 05:32 PM Re: My first real G-Force experience [Re: Cajun]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Most I have done is 3g during aerobatics in a C150 Aerobat, first time I thought I was going to exit the aircraft through the seat smile
Year was 1980 and I was a lot lighter and fitter than I am now.

Edit: this is the aircraft G-BAUY http://abpic.co.uk/photo/1083800/

Last edited by Alicatt; 08/21/15 05:44 PM.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4159955 - 08/21/15 06:11 PM Re: My first real G-Force experience [Re: Cajun]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Mission Space was awesome when it first opened, I think it was more than 2.5g's. Then there were a couple of unfortunate deaths from people with medical conditions who should never have been on any sort of ride like that, and they tuned it down. There are also "no g" cabs for people like that now, but they never reset the moving ones.

The funny part is if you turn your head to the left or right while under g you can then tell it's spinning, something you can't tell if you keep looking forward.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4159999 - 08/21/15 08:37 PM Re: My first real G-Force experience [Re: Cajun]  
Cajun Offline
Cajun  Offline

Lafayette, LA
I must have looked forward or down the entire time. I didn't notice the spin.

Intel i7-13700K
Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Ultra
Radeo RX 570 (8GB)

#4160054 - 08/21/15 11:31 PM Re: My first real G-Force experience [Re: Cajun]  
KlarSnow Offline
KlarSnow  Offline

NAS Pensacol, Fl
It takes a bit of getting used to, and 2-4 gs are actually pretty comfortable again once you get used to it.
above 4 gs for any extended period of time (30 seconds or more) can start to get uncomfortable at least for me.

9 Gs aren't so bad mainly because (at least in my jet) we cant hold it for more than a few seconds, so as long as you are prepped for the break turn you normally don't notice it, if we could sustain it for more than a few seconds it would be very uncomfortable very fast.

Being ready for it is the main thing that helps, if you are and can get yourself in a good body posture for it (head up, in a fight your body twisted the way you are going to look) and you can get on your G-strain and the breathing properly it is eminently doable. In my BFM engagements the only times I noticed the G's were the one or two times I was not ready and at the initial break turn started greying out in the 9 G pull. That only happened once though.

It is hard to catch up once you are behind but it is doable.

The worst G's by far are the centrifuge, once I dropped fighters I had to go to the centrifuge and spin up to 7.5 Gs and perfect the G-strain and such, I may have only spent 5 minutes in there, and only 1 minute total up at 7.5 but that is the carnival ride from hell. Far far more uncomfortable than real G's in a jet.

Reasons for that are they are straight linear with almost instant application in the centrifuge, and the worst part is you cant see outside it, so when it accelerates, your inner ear goes insane and tumbles all over the place, and you have no reference to help you. Imagine being drunk and spinning in your bed, it is that feeling but with an elephant sitting on your chest as you try and breath and focus on what you are doing. Not fun at all. Especially when you decelerate again.

#4160056 - 08/21/15 11:32 PM Re: My first real G-Force experience [Re: Cajun]  
KlarSnow Offline
KlarSnow  Offline

NAS Pensacol, Fl
also in any situation with G's where you have no reference outside what you are doing, turning your head is the best way to make you sick lol, your inner ear just cannot handle it, and with nothing for your eyes to bite off on to help, it just sends you into the worst spinning feeling ever.

#4160059 - 08/21/15 11:35 PM Re: My first real G-Force experience [Re: Cajun]  
KlarSnow Offline
KlarSnow  Offline

NAS Pensacol, Fl

This is exactly what I went through, just 7.5 G instead of 9, if you listen to the instructor you can get a feel for what the G-strain is like and what it entails.

Him throwing his hand up as it decelerates, that is exactly what everyone does lol, its how you reference something not moving because your body thinks you are tumbling horribly.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.